Pantone Color of the Year 2015 is Marsala

Pantone announced its Pantone Color of the Year for 2015 via the Wall Street Journal this morning, declaring that a dusty burgundy shade it calls “Marsala” will be the trendy color of next year.

Pantone MarsalaLeatrice Eiseman, executive director of the Pantone Color Institute, explained the choice of Marsala in the announcement:

While PANTONE 18-3224 Radiant Orchid, the captivating 2014 color of the year, encouraged creativity and innovation, Marsala enriches our mind, body and soul, exuding confidence and stability. Much like the fortified wine that gives Marsala its name, this tasteful hue embodies the satisfying richness of a fulfilling meal, while its grounding red-brown roots emanate a sophisticated, natural earthiness. This hearty, yet stylish tone is universally appealing and translates easily to fashion, beauty, industrial design, home furnishings and interiors.

The new shade is a stark contrast to the 2014 color of the year, which was a brilliant shade of purple called Radiant Orchid.

The color codes for Pantone Marsala 18-1438 are:

• RGB: R150 G79 B76
  • CMYK: C25 M77 Y64 K11
  • HTML: 955251

How much of “Marsala” will be seen in the scrapbook industry will be interesting to watch in 2015. A more red shade of burgundy has been around for awhile as a frequent accent color, especially at Christmas, but the general industry color trends are moving to much brighter shades as design trends shift to a graphic style. A deep color like Marsala will play to the strengths of companies and designers like Graphic 45, Authentique, and Tim Holtz, whose signature styles are heavily vintage and who thus haven’t followed the graphic color trends as tightly.

For those looking to work with Marsala, there are plenty of medium options thanks to the Tim Holtz Distress line from Ranger. Aged Mahogany from that line appears to be a very good match for Marsala, and the color is available in an ink pad, reinker, stain, paint dabber, pen, and spray stain. (It’s also available in paper form but the paper version appears to deviate somewhat in shade from the ink versions of the color.)

, ,

8 Responses to Pantone Color of the Year 2015 is Marsala

1. Tami Bayer December 4, 2014 at 12:27 pm #

Aged Mahogany is one of my fave distress colors! Love following the color trends, thanks so much for sharing this Nancy!

2. Terri Harmon December 4, 2014 at 2:11 pm #

Love this color and can’t wait to see how it plays out in the coming months. Thanks for the update. 🙂

3. gabmcann December 5, 2014 at 4:35 am #

I can’t wait to see what happens with this colour!

4. Linda Adkins December 5, 2014 at 9:55 am #

Finally back to my side of the spectrum! I love the darker, richer colors of old. Now to add evergreen/hunter green and a rich navy to the mix and my house is back in style! I do wish that Tim could get papers that really match his distress colors.

5. Tracey December 5, 2014 at 11:29 pm #

It doesn’t top that beautiful green from 2013 for me, but I think it’s a very pretty color and can’t wait to see how it’s used and what it gets paired with in the coming year.

I’m seeing this color being kind of bashed in different spaces online, which is interesting to me. It seems like it stems from the last few colors being rather bright and fun, while this one is deeper and more serious. The brown undertones are also drawing some jokes. Ah well. You can’t please everyone.

6. halomom December 6, 2014 at 12:08 am #

I wonder which Bazzill cardstock will match this color.

7. almasmom December 8, 2014 at 1:57 pm #

Excellent choice, imo. I’m thoroughly fed up with loud, bright colours and the whole clean-&-simple paper-crafting style. I don’t want my layouts to look like magazine pages, nor my cards to look like they came from Carlton. AND I sure as heck don’t want to use kids’ bedroom colours in my projects. It’s more than high time the colour palette grew up. Go Tim! Go G45! Go Authentique! Can’t wait to see what they do with “Marsala.”

8. Ellen Burgess January 14, 2015 at 10:22 am #

Thanks for sharing this. The CMYK values for the colors is very helpful.

Let us know your thoughts!