Breaking: Two Peas In A Bucket Closing Down

2 Peas Logo

Earlier this afternoon, online retailer Two Peas in a Bucket announced that they are closing down effective July 10th.

All sales on the site are final effective immediately. Gift certificates may only be redeemed through July 4th, 2014 11:59:59 p.m. CST. Returns and price adjustments are no longer being accepted.

Access to classes, workshops, bookmarks and gallery items will cease when Two Peas closes for good on July 10th. Peamail will also be available through that date. Access to posting on the company’s message boards has already closed, although they seem to be available for viewing.

At the same time as the company announced the closure of its operations, it also announced the immediate closure of its affiliate program. The company was a pioneer in affiliate marketing in the scrapbooking industry, which is now a widespread practice.

Wisconsin-based Two Peas In A Bucket was formed in 1999 by Jeffrey and Kristina White. The Whites were a continuous presence at Two Peas, although it changed hands several times while under their leadership. In May 2006, the Whites sold the company to Canadian media company Kaboose, Inc. for a reported $600,000 in cash plus additional considerations. A little over two years later, in Sept. 2008, Kaboose sold Two Peas to Leisure Arts (terms not disclosed). In 2012, the company returned to the apparent ownership of the Whites through a Delaware-based LLC called It’s Like This LLC.

Two Peas’ financial difficulties have been apparent for some time to industry watchers. Lack of a steady stream of new product had been noticeable in the store for some time. Most vendors were no longer extending them credit, and as a result the company was only ordering small quantities of inventory (causing fast sellouts), and was sticking mostly to ordering paper and largely skipping more expensive SKUs such as embellishments and stamps. A few months ago, Two Peas began limiting their shipping options on orders containing 12×12 paper to USPS Priority Mail, which provides free boxes for items that size. The company’s LLC registrations in both Delaware and Wisconsin also expired months ago.

One bright light in the company’s final months has been its stellar signature offerings of embellishments (especially flair) and stamps,which were clean and simple and with a sassy edge that set them apart. The revamped digital store, once the industry leader in the early days on digital scrapbooking, had become home again to several quality designers after falling on hard times for awhile. The company has also been offering popular online classes with quality instructors like Shimelle Laine (who goes by Glitter Girl on the site) and Jen Gallacher.

Two Peas in a Bucket has been a presence in the industry for more than just its retail operation. Being a member of its “Garden Girls” design team was a much-coveted career stepping stone for industry designers. The team’s list of alumni reads like a who’s who of designers in the industry today: Ali Edwards, Jennifer McGuire, Kristina Werner, Rhonna Farrer, Marah Johnson, Elizabether Kartchner, and Amy Tan – to name just a few. The current team included Jen Gallacher, Shimelle Laine, Celine Navarro, Marcy Penner, Jennifer Kinkade, Jill Sprott, L Craigie, Lisa Dickinson, Melanie Blackburn, Nancy Damiano, Paige Evans, Stephanie Bryan, and Wilna Furstenberg.

The company also influenced the shape of today’s industry via its forums, especially the Pub board that served an audience of members who were trying to build careers of some kind in the industry – mostly as designers. The talent incubated in that board in its heyday are now many of the industry’s stars and business owners. Relationships were formed, both business and personal, that now extend to far outside of an internet forum.

For much of scrapbooking’s early days and heyday, Two Peas and Scrapbook.com were viewed as the twin pillars of online retail in the space. A representative for Scrapbook.com had this to say about the closure of their long-time rival:

Scrapbook.com was surprised and saddened to learn that Two Peas in a Bucket announced its closure. Two Peas in a Bucket was one of the pioneers in our industry and it did much to bring scrapbooking to crafters across the world. Specifically, its layout gallery documented the history and evolution of scrapbooking over a decade and a half and it’s sad to hear it will be gone. We wish it were otherwise and we wish their founders and employees well.

On a personal note I would like to say that I will be forever grateful to Two Peas, and especially the Pub Board community, for the encouragement I found there while in the early days of building what became Scrapbook Update, and for the friendship that I found there.

48 Responses to Breaking: Two Peas In A Bucket Closing Down

1. Laura (@Bookworm) June 25, 2014 at 4:12 pm #

Great article, Nancy! Scrapbook Update was the first site I hit after reading the news — thanks for the perspective and details.

• Amber June 25, 2014 at 7:31 pm #

I agree great quick article Nancy, thanks. Crazy how quickly they shut it all down!

• daw39Debra williams June 25, 2014 at 11:15 pm #

Me too!

• Nancy Nally June 26, 2014 at 12:12 pm #

Thanks Laura! Glad you liked the article! Thanks for stopping by!

• Nancy Nally June 26, 2014 at 12:13 pm #

And thanks to Amber and Debra too for the lovely compliments!

2. Susanne June 25, 2014 at 5:05 pm #

This is so very sad.

3. Becky June 25, 2014 at 5:17 pm #

Thanks for a walk down memory lane, Nancy! I haven’t spent much time on Two Peas since I began homeschooling my children back in 2007 (not so coincidentally when my scrapbooking decreased dramatically.) But Two Peas and the Pub were a tremendous inspiration to me back in the day. Sad to hear of its closure.

4. Patti June 25, 2014 at 5:28 pm #

I would be sad, but I’m too pissed that they apparently shut down the site today without making our paid for classes available to us.

5. Jean marmo June 25, 2014 at 5:29 pm #

I was quite surprised when I got the email. What a shame.

6. Pamela McGillin June 25, 2014 at 5:48 pm #

This is terrible news.

7. Marie June 25, 2014 at 6:14 pm #

I hadn’t finished the second Wilna class!!!! Nor had I downloaded either of her two classes that I paid for!!!

• Carrie Arick June 26, 2014 at 10:00 am #

Wilna has info up on her blog about her classes. She said to download all the materials as she works out the details for those that purchased her classes.

8. Annette Allen June 25, 2014 at 6:15 pm #

great article Nancy.. I will miss Two Peas too.. :(

9. Tracy June 25, 2014 at 6:17 pm #

I, too, was wondering about the class content. Although there are PDFs that can be downloaded, I’m sure most scrapbookers will agree that the accompanying videos are invaluable. Nancy, as a tech guru, do you have any suggestions on how to save videos to one’s desktop? If I am not able to have continued access to something I’ve paid for, I agree with Patti above.

• adventuresintheherenow June 26, 2014 at 10:53 am #

There are a couple of options for downloading videos. Video Downloader Pro is a free extension/plugin for Chrome that makes it really easy to download videos, but may not work if they are hosted on youtube. I was able to download my workshop videos last night, albeit with very slow loading pages. There is also something for youtube videos. I haven’t tried it, but it’s worth a shot. https://thedailydigi.com/downloading-youtube-videos
      I got both tips over on the Paperclipping website’s discussion page. :)

10. Melissa (Smokeynspike) June 25, 2014 at 6:36 pm #

I loved NSBR. I wonder where everyone will head off to now.

11. Jynxt June 25, 2014 at 7:03 pm #

TWO PEAS SWAPPERS

We are hoping to keep our Swaps going! Swaps will be conducted in same manner as on Twopeas. Lets get the word out to have all the amazing swappers join up here! Thanks for your help!
    Here is our link to send out if you know of any other swappers! I plan on getting all swaps copied and pasted over as well as pictures for ideas! It will be a work in progress but worth it!

12. Bonnie June 25, 2014 at 8:22 pm #

I’m sorry to see Two Peas closing. Although I didn’t shop there often, I enjoyed the message boards and the gallery.

13. Christina June 25, 2014 at 8:31 pm #

I am very sad to hear that Tow Peas was closing. Not only was I a loyal customer but I also enjoyed all the process videos by the talented Garden Girls. I wonder what will happen to them. I would like to keep following their work.

14. AlanaM June 25, 2014 at 8:56 pm #

Nice article but the way they are dealing with the closing is so unprofessional and giving the boards no warning at all.

• Nancy Nally June 25, 2014 at 9:23 pm #

Unfortunately from a business standpoint things have to be done a certain way. There’s no elegant way to close down a failing business. You’re always going to leave someone unhappy.

The closing down of the boards I’m sure was done to protect their server from the avalanche of traffic triggered by the announcement. Can you imagine how the boards would have been flooded today if they had left them open? As it was, just with the store sale going on, their server was taken by the traffic and people were getting constant 502 errors.

I’m sympathetic to this because our own server was taken down this afternoon by the traffic pounding on this article when it first published. I can’t imagine how insane their traffic numbers must be!

I recommend searching the words “Two Peas” on Facebook. It appears that several groups are forming there for Two Peas board refugees.

15. Amy A. June 25, 2014 at 9:39 pm #

I am in marketing and merchandising industry, and if I had a quick fix, I would gladly be there for 2 Peas free of charge – I would be honored and love to work with products I LOVE :) and with company I admire! :) I have been a long time member, as well as, have been a member and “lurker” at many other sites. I always was of the opinion that 2 Peas in a Bucket was the “package deal” – they did it best: great classes; loved the videos: website searchability/images/linking capabilities/shoppability – really stellar; freedom of speech on the forums (people..if you don’t like it..ignore it – hello politics – hello life..deal with it!!!); the Garden Girl participation – all of you.. a great big thank you…you contributed so much and so thoroughly, I don’t know what kind of deal you had with 2 Peas, but we could always count on you to inspire us. enable us ;), and just WOW us!!!! I think it is hard to keep up with all the changes and politics in my industry, but I am sure the years have been a challenge for you 2 Peas. The fact that you hung in there for so long, all the while with style and grace and great service.. well it is amazing. This is a tough industry. How to stay current, how to stay stocked, how to work with manufacturers that are struggling in this economy; and all the while, maintain your customer service level and the maintain if not surpass the expectations of the customer. For me, you did this 2 Peas… I could always count on you. I will miss you!

16. KathyK2 June 25, 2014 at 9:55 pm #

Thank you Nancy for your swift and thorough accounting of the end of 2 Peas. While I wasn’t a member there, it is sad to see any loss in the scrapbook arena. I was a member at Club Creating Keepsakes when they announced their message board was closing down and it is very emotional. I wish all the orphaned Two Peas members the best. There are other scrappy communities online that are member driven. Not all the bells and whistles perhaps but a community for scrapbookers to keep our craft alive and vibrant! Skrap N Chat is one and scrappin-peeps.proboards.com is another.

17. Claudia Locke June 25, 2014 at 10:46 pm #

Oh my — Saturday mornings spent watching Garden Girls videos & absorbing all their wisdom, talent & generosity of ideas will be missed tremendously….. A sorrowful Texas Scrapper

18. Sharon L. June 25, 2014 at 10:58 pm #

Thanks for the wonderful review, Nancy! I first started lurking over there in 2002, and finally took the plunge to register in 2003. It has been a home to me in many ways, and the pioneer for online stores/forums/galleries for our craft. I met so many of my scrappy friends on there (especially in the Pub) and attended the first Twopeas crop in WI with my daughter. I wish Jeff & Kristina the very best!

19. Erika @ Scrapbook Obsession Blog June 26, 2014 at 3:50 am #

I was going to write a synopsis of what happened for my blog but I’ll just send readers here. You did an excellent job (as always) with the recap! But I’ll post about my own feelings – as an active Pea since 2007 – and how the online scrapbooking community is reacting so far. Thanks Nancy!

20. Jennie Polyblank June 26, 2014 at 4:14 am #

This has been a difficult month for the scrapbook industry – it seems that several scrapbook business are shutting down. Always enjoyed Twopeas, their new products videos were one of the highlights. However for me, the biggest loss is My Canvas which is a branch of Ancestry.com which has pulled the plug on digital family history albums. Can anyone please recommend an alternative – the well known photo book companies just do not seem to have the range of pages, embellishments, frames, fonts etc. I have till 5 Sept to complete a book I started 5 years ago!

21. Deb June 26, 2014 at 5:41 am #

Thrilled to hear you will be at the round table again to discuss
    This story further as more info unfolds. Hugs Deb

22. VickyR June 26, 2014 at 9:48 am #

It’s too sad to see any loss in the industry. I wish the principals and staff the best of luck.

23. Dolly LaBelle June 26, 2014 at 10:39 am #

So sad, yet another icon vanishing in the paper arts world.

24. scarletscraps June 26, 2014 at 11:00 am #

Great article, Nancy. I was wondering if you could find out if they will be leaving their YouTube channel as is or “closing” that also?

25. almasmom June 26, 2014 at 11:48 am #

Nicely done, Nancy. Nobody writes a better “eulogy.” Too bad you’ve had so much practice lately, though.

Unfortunately, the things folks will miss most about Two Peas are the things that cost more than they brought in: huge gallery, way too many forums and a lot of free video content. It was a great playground for scrapbookers but it became a poor way to run a business when facebook, Twitter and Pinterest came on the scene.

As for scrapbook.com’s crocodile tears: gag me, as we used to say back in the 80s. They’ve still got forums and a gallery, which will make them a natural refuge for anyone who still wants that kind of service from their retailer. Since I prefer lower prices, good service and reasonable international shipping charges, I’ll be sticking with Frantic Stamper, Blue Moon Scrapbooking and Simon Says Stamp.

I haven’t been a “Pea” for years and, although I still follow some of the ex-Garden Girls, the only regret I have about Two Peas shutting down is that Wilna will have to find another venue for her art classes. I hope that she does, I’d like to take them but I wasn’t about to fire up my Pea account again to do so.

• Nancy Nally June 26, 2014 at 12:28 pm #

Thanks almasmom – this sort of article is definitely my least favorite part of my job and one I wish there was never a need for again. I much more enjoy writing things like the new product reports from the shows, and the announcements when someone launches a new venture in the space. Those things make me smile!

Definitely there was a cost/benefit that was out of balance with people’s favorite features at Two Peas. The online world is so much different now than it was 10 years ago!

I think it is possible to respect your peers/competitors in a space, and I think Scrapbook.com is not alone in respecting the contribution of Two Peas the past 15 years and in understanding that the loss of Two Peas is very symbolic in many ways for the industry. Love them or hate them, Two Peas was a significant force in the industry for a long time. I respect Scrapbook.com for acknowledging that about their competitor.

26. Addie June 26, 2014 at 12:14 pm #

I’ve read many angry responses to the closing, and I appreciated your history of the company and its unique contributions, Nancy. At some point when emotions ebb, I would really like to understand what happened in a business sense. I wondered, for instance, if the owners wanted to retire and couldn’t find a buyer; if the changes in ownership over the years had negative effects not attributable to faulty business practices; or if the original owners’ newer vision for the company differed from Leisure Arts’. I’m also interested in why Leisure Arts sold the company relatively quickly, and why the original owners wanted to try again. It’s an extremely interesting business history. I don’t know of any other company in recent years that’s gone through so many hands so quickly, ending up with the original owners.

27. Sad Former Pea June 26, 2014 at 1:02 pm #

Nancy, thanks for the recap. Anyone looking for a place to land can join hundreds of us former peas at 2peasrefugees.boards.net.

28. Sharon June 26, 2014 at 1:52 pm #

I am curious, like Addie before me, about the business history and back room goings on for Two Peas. I think there may be some valuable business lessons there, and as a brick and mortar and online retailer and wholesaler, I would dearly love to have those learnings.
    I respect Two Peas for calling a quick end to their business. Closing quickly is the way to go. Anything else is a slow and painful death, not benefitting anyone, especially the owners.
    Best for the future, Two Peas.

29. gabmcann June 26, 2014 at 7:08 pm #

Very sad news. I’ll have to check out the downloading of videos too.
    Great article, thanks Nancy

30. Sdeven June 26, 2014 at 8:53 pm #

Just plain annoyed. I was there a couple times a day for twelve years. I shopped there regularly. I deserve to be treated better than this. But this is how peas chooses to say goodbye, or rather just blankly turn out the lights. Well thanks. :(

31. Diana June 26, 2014 at 10:40 pm #

With every closing that I see it makes me wonder if scrapbooking will completely disappear in the next 5 years.

32. Sharon June 26, 2014 at 11:53 pm #

scrapbooking will endure, if we keep supporting local, independent retailers and stay out of big box stores.

33. molliecoxbryan (@molliecoxbryan) June 27, 2014 at 12:06 pm #

Thanks so much for the informative article. You’ve answered several of the questions I had about the closing. Sad to see them go.

34. Sad, Sad Pea June 27, 2014 at 10:31 pm #

I don’t think I have ever sad a bad word about Two Peas. They were not perfect, but they were not bad either. At least not as bad as some people made them out to be. Those people need to understand that first and foremost Two Peas was a business. And despite what some say, the customer is NOT always right. Sometimes they had to put their foot down.

But honestly, I think Two Peas closing with no notice, was a $%#@y thing to do. It was a disrespectful and selfish of them to do that to their loyal members and customers. I have been a member for over 10 years, and I get two measly weeks to save what I need? If I can save it? Thank you Two Peas. Thank you for YOUR loyalty.

35. retta519 June 28, 2014 at 12:34 am #

I don’t know how any craft supply store can stay in business….brick and mortar or online. Kudos to those that do. You have CHA twice a year….with tons of new releases….I want it all…and I’m not alone. I haven’t gotten my greedy little mitts on one thing…before more items hit the shelves that I “must have”. How can a business keep all that stuff in stock…and make a profit?

36. McKane Davis June 30, 2014 at 12:52 am #

As noted in the article, our company (Scrapbook.com) is saddened by the news and we were surprised to see the announcement. We have been particularly concerned for those people who had uploaded images to the Two Peas gallery and would be losing them so abruptly.

We scrambled and built a tool to help those users preserve their images. The tool will import your Two Peas gallery images into your Scrapbook.com account with just a few clicks.

The tool is available here:

Users will have to do the import before the Two Peas site shuts down on the 10th of July.

• retta519 July 12, 2014 at 12:14 am #

That was very nice of scrapbook.com to do! Thank you!

37. scrapper94 July 7, 2014 at 10:22 pm #

I was a daily Two Peas visitor for over 13 years. I met some wonderful ladies there. While I’m grateful for the experience it makes me extremely sad that it won’t exist anymore.

38. Tracy August 31, 2014 at 1:01 am #

Wow I am out of the loop. I had no idea they closed. I just went to try and find a layout i had posted there a long time ago.

I was a Garden Girl way back when and it opened so many doors for me. What I do today all stemmed from my start there. Very sad to hear.