Organization | Tour of My Scrap Room 2014

About a year ago, after spending some time with my scrap space in the kitchen, I decided that it was time to move back into my own space again. I moved back into the spare bedroom that has long been my scrap studio and office. The decision a few years ago to move my office operations into a shared space with my husband meant that this time, the spare bedroom could be devoted solely to my creative work. Rather than just go back to a modification of the previous arrangement, I decided to take the opportunity to redesign the room from the ground up (although making use of a few pieces that I did already have, for economy’s sake).

It took a year start to finish, but finally – Here’s the results!

Nancy Nally Scrap Studio Nancy Nally Scrap StudioThe room is about 11×11 in size, with a lighted ceiling fan in the middle of the room. The walls were painted this pale green years ago, shortly after we moved in. The window looks out over the front yard, which lets me watch the world go by while I work, and is covered with 2″ faux wood plantation blinds (like the rest of the house) and a lace valance. Three of the four walls are drywall over concrete block (the closet wall being the lone exception), making it difficult to hang things on them.

The tables are pieces from Ikea’s Vika Amon modular table/legs collection. It has been replaced by a similar line that is now available, though. The large birch area is for my workspace. The smaller white table provides workspace for a second “guest” like my husband or daughter without compromising the ability to move around the room as much as if I had added a second larger table. I also use the second table for a variety of other tasks: “staging” and organizing projects, and packing and unpacking my camera gear that is stored in the closet, and photographing items for the website.

For a closer look, let’s start at my desk work area.

Studio Desk ViewAs I look forward while seated, this collection of tools and supplies (above) is in the middle of my desk. The buckets are from Target’s Dollar Spot awhile back. They hold a variety of frequently used items, from pens and scissors and small tools to paint brushes. The baby wipes are used for cleaning up stamps (and my fingers!), and the sticky notes and index cards are used for taking notes and for practice stamping and other such tasks. In the far left of the photo, you can just barely see my black desktop Ott Lite lamp – essential for creating a night in a room with poor overhead lighting.

Scrap Studio Peg BoardIf I turn to my left, I see this work area. which contains my storage box of Project Life and related supplies, my Silhouette Portrait machine, and a variety of stamps and embellishments. Baskets hold some of my most frequently used stamp sets, and some of my most recent embellishments are on hooks so that I can see and remember that I have them. (I’ll share more about the pegboard project later this week).

Ikea Alex Scrapbook Studio StorageBelow the pegboard area, this Ikea Alex drawer unit lives under the table to my left. On top of the drawer unit are tucked my Fiskars paper trimmer, glass cutting mat, and rubber stamping mat, all out of sight and out of the way, but easily accessible.

The drawers contain a variety of inks and stamping supplies, along with a lot of mixed media mediums and some embellishments. (Check back later in the week for details on how I arrange the drawers.)

Small Ikea Alex in Scrapbook Studio To my right, the support of the desk is formed by another Ikea Alex unit, this one a smaller one sized to serve as desk drawers. This set of drawers is filled with my most frequently used items – pens, rulers, craft mats, adhesive, heat gun & glue gun – as well as spray inks and punches.

All of my drawers are labeled with chalkboard labels from the Martha Stewart line for Avery that is available only at Staples. Rolling File Cart for Scrapbook PaperTurning a little further to the right, on the floor next to my chair is this file crate that has wheels on it. With legal sized hanging files in it, it works perfectly for organizing my loose patterned paper and most frequently used cardstock (like white and kraft). I also have a few oversize items like 12×12 letter sticker sheets and stencils in it. Patterned paper is arranged mostly by company with a few exceptions for things like Christmas. After much trial and error over the years in different ways of sorting, I’ve discovered this hybrid method works best for me and I use it to sort my paper and my stamps as well.

Paper Storage TowerBehind the paper cart, tucked into the corner, is a tower of craft storage cubes that contains Cropper Hopper paper holders. These hold my library of cardstock, along with my pads of patterned paper, and my Project Life plastics (in the binder on the bottom and some boxes as well). The top of the tower is the perfect spot for my Sizzix Big Shot to sit, easily accessible to grab and use but not in the way when I’m not using it.

Rubber Stamp Storage ShelfFinally, on the wall behind me when I’m sitting down are a series of decorative shelves. One holds my selection of wood mounted stamps. Two smaller ones (visible in the wide angle photos of the room at the beginning) hold flower embellishments and buttons in small jars, sorted by color. They look nice and are within quick reach if I need them.

But there’s still a whole other side to the room!

Scrap Room ClosetThe room’s closet is a combination of craft and other personal storage. The file cabinets are non-craft related storage. To the left of them is our camera gear and my scrapbook totes. The smaller plastic boxes above the file cabinets contain my Silhouette supplies (like various specialty media) and things like my stencils and some of my stamps. Above them are stacks of 12×12 storage boxes that contain projects in progress, like mini albums and other such ongoing creativity. To either side of those boxes are supply storage for things like plastic bags, adhesives, and various misc things that crafters seem to acquire.

Hanging above the plastic boxes are two mini shelves that contain Sizzix dies and my Xyron machine. The row of colorful boxes up top are my pre-digital photos that have yet to be scrapped. I will never run out….

Scrap Room BookcaseTo the right of the door when you walk in the room is this bookcase that I’ve had forever. It’s one of two matching ones in the room. The bottom contains my craft print books and magazines. The top contains personal mementos like my Beatrix Potter figures from my childhood and the desk calendar I inherited from my grandfather.

Scrapbook Storage Shelves Three of the shelves contain scrapbooking supplies. This shelf (above), features a drawer unit from the Container Store and storage boxes from Ikea. The drawers hold Project Life memorabilia, ATC card bases, and my SMASH brand supplies. The boxes hold my Tim Holtz brand embellishments and keep my card blanks, envelopes, and completed cards organized. Basket Storage For Scrapbook SuppliesThe top two shelves hold a bunch of baskets – one of my favorite ways to store things. There’s a basket for fabric pieces left over from various household and crafty projects, one for Sizzix dies, and two devoted to my 6×6 paper pads.

The nice thing about using baskets like this (and the boxes in the closet) is that I can get out the container I want and move it to the table to work.

Scrapbook Cube StorageIn the middle of the wall opposite my desk is this cube unit by Target (Closetmaid makes similar ones). On top is my stamp storage bins, and one shelf holds our family’s Project Life kits. Mini Albums live on a bottom shelf. All other cubbies are occupied by various bins that hold embellishments. One of the bins is my daughter’s scrap supplies for her Project Life album and the rest are mine. (I’ll share more about the stamp storage system in an article later this week.)

IMG_9651

I keep the bins sorted roughly by size and company. When I want to embellish, I pull them out and place them on my work tables. Scrapbook Alphabet StorageMy alphabet stickers are in one of the bins as well, sorted by size and them as much as possible by company. I intend to use cut down file folders to create dividers for this file to make things easier to find.

IMG_9646

The second white bookcase is over in the corner by the window. Several shelves are devoted to shipping supplies, but one has plastic shoeboxes on it that contain adhesive, ribbon, and paint in easy to see containers that are toteable to the nearby work table for convenience. Scrapbook Album StorageSeveral more shelves of the unit are devoted to storing completed albums. My daughter likes to come in here and sit on the floor and pull them all off and flip through them one at a time – and then leave them in a pile on the floor!

So that is the tour of my new and improved scrap space…I’m really loving it and it is helping me get things done!

Be sure to check back the rest of the week for more articles on scrap room organization, including in-depth looks at several of the features of my new space!

33 Responses to Organization | Tour of My Scrap Room 2014

1. Kathy Kampka December 30, 2013 at 10:48 pm #

Looks great Nancy! Makes me think about cleaning my craft rooms – someday… LOL

2. Ann rOBBINS December 30, 2013 at 10:49 pm #

i WANT TO DO THIS IN THE VERY NEAR FUTURE. CURRENTLY I HAVE A RUBBERMAID (CLOSET) AND A METAL WARDROBE WHICH I USE. I AM THINKING SERIOUSLY OF BUYING A 25-27 FT. CAMPER AND GUTTING IT AND JUST BUILDING SHELVES AND BOOKCASES IN IT WITH TABLES FOR MY MACHINES AND WORK SPACE. WHAT SAY YOU?
    MSTGANE

3. Barb in AK December 30, 2013 at 11:06 pm #

Very impressive room! Looks bright and cheery— and so organized :-)

4. Veronica December 30, 2013 at 11:13 pm #

Thank you for the inspiration, Nancy! My New Year’s project is to reclaim my scrap space. Keep the photos and ideas coming!

5. Shirley K. December 30, 2013 at 11:15 pm #

I enjoyed the virtual tour! It’s always fun to see how others’ craft spaces are set up / organized!

6. Suzy Gray December 31, 2013 at 12:10 am #

looks great nancy! I know it feels good to have your own space organized

7. ScrapBazaar December 31, 2013 at 12:21 am #

I really like your scraproom! It’s neat and look so functionnal!

8. Winona December 31, 2013 at 1:38 am #

Thank you for sharing this and giving me ideas. Was nice to see the Longaberger Picnic Basket on the top shelf of your bookcase! I use several of them for organization along with the Cropper Hopper paper holders.

• Nancy Nally December 31, 2013 at 3:18 pm #

The Longaberger Picnic Basket was a wedding gift to my husband and I from my mother 20 years ago!

9. BlogAuthorJane Hakes December 31, 2013 at 4:41 am #

I know how much more creative you can be with a bit more space. I recently moved my craft room to a large all-season cabin in our garden and it’s become my sanctuary. I like your organization ideas. Even though I’ve basically “finished” my space, I still like to see and adopt other ideas. Thanks for sharing.

10. LindaBabe December 31, 2013 at 7:13 am #

Love your space Nancy, and I saw some ideas there I can use. I’ve been working on mine since we moved in June. Purged a lot of stuff, but there’s always room to get rid of more, isn’t there?

Thank you for sharing your room with us!

• Nancy Nally December 31, 2013 at 3:19 pm #

I purged a TON of stuff as part of doing this overhaul. I have realized that with my ADHD having too much stuff is just overwhelming. (But I still obviously have a LOT of stuff LOL)

• Linda Hinkamp January 2, 2014 at 7:22 pm #

I too get stopped by my ADD, when i have just too much stuff.
        I like seeing it is possible, to be this organized. Thank you Nancy

11. Jennifer December 31, 2013 at 8:01 am #

Fantastic room! Love the bright cheery color and the organization with labels. Way to go, wish you much luck!

12. kathyhpy December 31, 2013 at 8:03 am #

I like how neat and organized your room is and even though it’s only 11×11 it looks very spacious. I would love to be as organized!!

13. Susan December 31, 2013 at 8:25 am #

Really nice job. I love the wire shelving and basket ideas. Plan on putting my alpha stickers in a bin today – looks like a great way to store and access them.

14. Dale Rose Stream December 31, 2013 at 10:01 am #

Although your room is much smaller than mine, it is surprising how much our space usage, organization, & preferences change over time. It is an ever-evolving, seemingly living thing. I started my reno during a reorganization class last March and still am trying to finish. I still do not have railings on my stairs, which means I am not inviting friends & family over for playdates until they are finished:( , and we are installing a pellet stove as well. I have been (continuously) scrapbooking for approximately 15 years, after discovering scrapbooking items in the back of a general crafts magazine, while looking for projects for our wedding. I’m happy to see you have your own space again, and continue to enjoy your appearances on PRT. SCRAP ON!

• Nancy Nally December 31, 2013 at 3:21 pm #

Thanks Dale! I started about 15 years ago too…amazing how things have changed since then!

15. Susanne December 31, 2013 at 10:55 am #

Looks fabulous Nancy. I’m curious as to how much those surfaces fill up when you are crafting. Can’t wait for the rest of your artilces on this. Again, the room looks fabulous.

• Nancy Nally December 31, 2013 at 3:21 pm #

Susanne, I posted a photo on our Facebook page this morning so you can see just how much mess I make. :)

16. Jill Norwood December 31, 2013 at 1:22 pm #

Wonderful space Nancy! Love how organized you are!

17. Addie December 31, 2013 at 1:24 pm #

You did a fabulous job here, Nancy. I love the bright space with all that great natural light. The logic of how you placed things matches my idea of how things should be ordered. Congratulations on your great, new space!

18. Gemiel Matthews December 31, 2013 at 2:45 pm #

Nancy, thanks so much for sharing your space with us. Is that a CTMH medium organizer box that you have your project life cards stored in? I’ve been looking for a system for all my cards.

• Nancy Nally December 31, 2013 at 3:22 pm #

It is in fact a Close To My Heart storage box…I will be looking at it in-depth later in the week when I write about my Project Life storage in more detail.

19. Jo December 31, 2013 at 5:37 pm #

Thank-you for sharing your room. I always enjoy seeing other artist scrap rooms. Looking forward to more.

20. Geralyn December 31, 2013 at 8:41 pm #

Thanks for the tour of your bright and so well organized scrap room. I’m so envious of your work space.

21. ldmccarty December 31, 2013 at 9:22 pm #

Gorgeous!!

22. gabmcann January 1, 2014 at 6:28 am #

Wow Nancy, it looks fantastic! I really like your baskets. I’ve just moved from a house with a craft room to an apartment so I’ve had to get rid of a lot of stuff. I’ll be coming back to this post for ideas as I start to get more organised!

23. Tracy Carden January 1, 2014 at 2:43 pm #

Love it! Great space for productivity!

24. Pamela McGillin January 1, 2014 at 6:53 pm #

Congratulations on your new craft space. It has that workable but very uncluttered feel that invites creativity right in. Beautiful job.

25. Peggy M January 2, 2014 at 12:34 pm #

love this space – some great ideas. We’ll be moving in 2014 & I’ll have a room about the same size that will be my office/scrap space. Hope to glean some ideas from here!

26. Nancy Grant January 3, 2014 at 11:37 am #

Oo-la-la! I love the all the light and organization. It must be nice to have your creative tools at the ready anytime inspiration hits. Fabulously done!

27. Pat Gelston January 11, 2014 at 2:43 pm #

I love your ideas. I am just starting to organize my scrap room. Surprise, too much stuff.) I keep trying different storage ideas, so I have bits of a lot of different things. I became your total fan when you explained your stamp storage. You descriptions are great and sound very practical. Thank you for all your great information.