Kit | Merry and Bright by Melissa

We’re getting into the Christmas spirit a bit early here at Scrapbook Update! This month’s Scrapbook Update kit, Merry and Bright, is filled to the brim with festive colors and motifs that will be perfect for scrapping all your winter and Christmas memories. In fact, I designed this kit to be used for either layouts or for a December Daily or Journal Your Christmas mini album. There are enough papers, alphabets, and sparkly baubles in this kit to keep you scrapping all December long, and while a few of the items are strictly Christmas themed, I kept the majority of the kit generic enough to be used for a variety of subjects.

The papers are a selection of Crate Paper Peppermint, Echo Park Season’s Greetings, and Studio Calico Classic Calico that blend bright pops of seasonal colors with sophisticated grays and grounding woodgrains for a fun, cozy feel.

Speaking of the papers, the main kit photo above only tells half the story about them as all of these sheets have lovely prints on their B-sides, as well.

Stars are a very popular Christmas embellishment this year, and these gray ledger star rub-ons by Studio Calico are a great non-holiday-themed item that will work well on Christmas and winter layouts.

Crate Paper’s Peppermint Ribbons and Trims are rich and will add just the right pop of color to your projects.

I brought in these North Country bling pieces by Prima to add a touch of sparkle.

And how could I resist these amazing Echo Park Season’s Greetings Brads? There are so many in the package that they’ll last you through many, many scrapbook pages.

This is just one of the two alphabet sheets included in the kit. This page alone (from Echo Park’s Season’s Greetings line) has three different alphabets on it, while the Studio Calico kraft alpha sheet holds two more.

In addition to the main kit, I’ve also put together an add-on that’s all-Christmas, all the time! Meet “Deck the Halls,” a fun foray into the spirit of the season. While I worked hard to keep the main kit from being completely themed, I completely let go of that with this add-on and filled it with a variety of gorgeous themed items.

Mister Huey Calico Shine from Studio Calico will add sparkle to your projects, and it’s especially gorgeous when paired up with any color mists you may already own.

These Christmas cameos from Webster’s Pages are so finely detailed and gorgeous and will add a special touch to your cards, layouts, and mini albums.

I fell in love with these candy cane striped Elf Thickers by American Crafts as soon as I saw them at CHA, so of course I included them in my kit!

And Crate Paper’s beautiful chipboard accents just begged to be included, as well.

I’ve also got two projects created from this kit to share with you today (and look for more in the next couple of weeks!). The first, while set on Christmas Day, is decidedly winter themed. I used Studio Calico’s Calico Shine mist in conjunction with a bottle of Mister Huey’s Calico White that I already owned to mist the background, then broke out my Martha Stewart snowflake punches (Glacial, Icelandic, Alpine, Arctic, and Himalayan) to create some accents to add to the snowflake-themed chipboard and brads in the kit and add-on.

This next page, though? It’s all Christmas! Stockings have been such a fun Christmas tradition for me since I was very young, and it’s one that I still enjoy as an adult!

Main Kit – Merry and Bright

American Crafts Holly Day Thickers – Elf, Red
Crate Paper Peppermint Chipboard Stickers
Webster’s Pages – Silhouettes

, , ,

14 Responses to Kit | Merry and Bright by Melissa

1. Anne November 13, 2011 at 7:30 pm #

I’m very new — followed a blog link because I loved seeing the kit so much. I’m also very confused. I read at the bottom that you’re not actually offering a real kit, but an opportunity to purchase individual items. I clicked on the individual items I liked best…. and your link took me to Scrapbook.com. So you’re showing off a kit, but not really selling a kit and you’re not even really the one selling the items?

• Laura November 14, 2011 at 12:14 pm #

Anne, this is what Melissa wrote about, about this: “Here’s a listing of the complete contents of the kit. We won’t be offering a single-package purchase link for these kits this month (that option will return in 2012), but we’ve included individual product links to make your shopping easier.”

• Anne November 20, 2011 at 5:34 am #

Yes, thank you, Laura, I read that as well. But what I’m most confused about is why…

Why say one has created a kit and show off the super cute (and I mean I was excited to order this) kit; only to learn that, essentially, the kit doesn’t exist for purchase?

I mean, if this were a post about, “Hey, don’t these papers and embellies look amazing together?! I can’t wait to see what I make with them,” that would be one thing. But to appear to a newbie as an actual kit creator — one who would seem to sell the items in a pre-determined combination shipped to another who pays for the kit creator’s time in combining everything — and then NOT have a single kit to sell…. Why do that?

2. April November 14, 2011 at 8:37 am #

I’ve got to say I am completely disappointed and feel mislead here. All along you made it sound like YOU were offering this great kit and illuded by omission that you were selling it. What I mean by omission is this is how things are normally put together when someone is selling something. I love what you did as far as the kit yet again was extremely disappointed to find it really wasn’t what you said it wasn’t… Bad business and not a way to have people trust you. I hope this is a lesson for you…

3. May November 14, 2011 at 9:26 am #

Another great kit Melissa! Your sample pages are fantastic and I really find it interesting to see what your holiday picks are!

4. Terrie November 14, 2011 at 9:39 am #

Love the “Kit”. But I am not going to go to all the trouble to order things separately. If this was sold as a grouping I would purchase the main kit and the add-on. I also would not call it a kit unless it is being sold all together. I think this is more suggestions of products to use together. Love scrapbook update and love this “kit”. Wish I could purchase it, just don’t have the time to do it all separately! :o(

5. Nancy N. November 14, 2011 at 9:55 am #

April and Anne, I’m sorry that you don’t like the way that this kit is being marketed. In the past, we’ve offered the Scrapbook Update signature kits designed by our staff members two ways through our marketing partner Scrapbook.com – by allowing readers to purchase the individual elements that they want, or through a one-click link that purchases the entire kit. The one-click link has been put on hiatus until after CHA Winter 2012 due to logistical issues – this is the only kit that you will see published without one – but we wanted to share the design skills of our staff with our readers so this time we are only offering the ability to purchase the individual items. This has been a popular option with our readers in the past – many people may already have an item in the kit, or they don’t like a particular item. The individual links allow them to grab just the items they want or need to create a similar look for themselves at home.

As far as feeling mislead…this is a Scrapbook Update signature design project that is being marketed in partnership with Scrapbook.com to handle logistics since we are not a retailer and that is a whole different business from publishing. When you think about it, us handling design and Scrapbook.com handling logistics is no different from the many licensing distributorship relationships in the scrapbook industry today. Studio Calico and Cosmo Cricket both recently stopped producing their own product in-house and are licensing their designs to other companies to handle the production and distribution logistics. This is no different, just on a smaller scale. Scrapbook Update is handling the design and then licensing the use of our name and our designs to Scrapbook.com to market the kit. Licensing arrangements are common in the industry – why shouldn’t we use one too?

• Terrie November 14, 2011 at 4:29 pm #

Do you mean after CHA Winter 2011?

• Melissa Stinson November 14, 2011 at 4:33 pm #

Terrie,

The next CHA show is January 29-February 1, 2012, and SBU plans to implement the new kit plan then.

Thanks!
        Melissa

• Anne November 20, 2011 at 5:44 am #

Nancy, I do thank you for taking the time to explain what has happened in this instance. I wanted you to know that I’ve read your statement. I appreciate what you’ve done — both in explaining this instance and creating a lovely place to come and look at combination ideas.

I also want to be clear that I appreciate what Melissa combined. It was from her blog that I found your site. I like her style; her creativity; etc. I respect her as an artist.

However, even after your explanation, I still don’t appreciate, or just can’t get on board with how things rolled. I am only one consumer, but I see a BIG difference between your site and large companies that actually design patterned papers and items for crafting. You are working on a smaller scale, but the point of a kit is to combine items (even better when you combine companies) for an overall theme. THAT is what gets me to buy from any kit club; that eye for color and design mish-mash.

Additionally, while I do enjoy purchasing from sb.com; I really like to support smaller groups with my availble funds. I thought this might be one such group. Maybe it is; only time will tell…. Except, for this instance where neither your group, nor sb.com, will be getting my available funds.

6. Donna C November 14, 2011 at 5:40 pm #

Well, I’m not upset or angry, but it did sound as though you’d be selling the kits from SU. If you missed reading the few sentences at the end, then you’d be searching around for pricing, etc. It would have been better to put it at the beginning so we knew upfront. Again, not upset, or angry, just offering feedback…. and they are all lovely selections and layouts! Great job Melissa! :)

7. Tricia November 14, 2011 at 8:00 pm #

Beautiful kits! Melissa is so talented. Thanks so much for the links. I’ll be shopping!

8. Gab November 15, 2011 at 12:24 am #

I love both kits … thanks Melissa!

9. alessandra losic November 15, 2011 at 10:01 pm #

very nice, I would love to scrapbook with those papers