Margie Romney-Aslett Out At Authentique Paper

Authentique Paper, which will make its official debut at CHA Summer 2011 in Chicago next week, has announced the departure of headline designer Margie Romney-Aslett.

The formation of Authentique had only been publicly announced in mid-June. The company’s first four product lines are already shipping to stores ahead of the CHA Summer 2011 show, and are moving well and generating a lot of positive buzz for the company. Authentique is widely expected to be one of the hits of the CHA Summer show in Chicago.

Before joining Authentique, Romney-Aslett previously had launched a signature line with Advantus, called The Girls Paperie, in January 2010. That line’s three CHA showings were quite successful, culminating at CHA Winter 2011. In April of this year, however, Advantus announced that it was releasing Romney-Aslett from her contract with them at her request. A few days following her release from Advantus, the paperwork that formed Authentique Paper was filed with the State of Utah.

Despite the success of the company’s initial release, apparently all was not well behind the scenes. Authentique Paper co-owner Samantha Wheatley had this to say to Scrapbook Update on behalf of herself and co-owner Bret Cornell:

As sole owners of Authentique Paper, LLC, we cite creative differences and poor working relations as the basis for our termination of Margie Aslett as an independent contractor, and feel this decision was in the best long-term interest of our company. We report no other changes in personnel. We reaffirm that we will: Remain fully dedicated to growing our business, provide quality service to retailers who carry our brand, and continue our commitment to the customers who enjoy our products. We wish Margie nothing but the best as a teacher in the industry.

In an emotional blog post today, Romney-Aslett confirmed her departure from Authentique:

i will no longer be part of the Authentique team. it just wasn’t the right fit for me. i am proud of the job i did there. the product I concepted and help create is beautiful. the graphic designers i was fortunate enough to work with were amazing. i am looking forward to  the future and the projects i am working on right now. i love what i do. and will continue to do it.

So, what does it mean to Authentique Paper to lose its “face” that was familiar to consumers? Authentique Paper’s Samantha Wheatley described to Scrapbook Update in a statement the founders’ vision for the company:

The strength of Authentique Paper is not found in one person or idea. The brand itself was created with the input and ideas of many creative forces and in order for Authentique Paper to be truly “authentic,” they are committed to maintaining standards of excellence and running a business with team members who are willing to combine their individual strengths to make Authentique Paper an unstoppable brand.

Four of Authentique Paper’s collections — Blissful, Uncommon, Splendid, and Journey — are already in stores. A Halloween collection called “Glowing” and a Christmas collection called “Wonder” will also debut at CHA Summer 2011. An additional product release is scheduled for early fall 2011.

Even without a role at Authentique Paper, Romney-Aslett will still be a presence in the industry for her many fans. She continues to run The Girl’s Loft kit club with her daughters Megan and Brooke. Romney-Aslett also remains a partner in the Spark creative retreat that will take place in October that she co-founded. Also, Romney-Aslett tells Scrapbook Update that paper designs from The Girls Paperie lines may be appearing in other forms in the near future through licensing agreements, and that she may be teaching some classes via her blog.

[Editor's Note - Personal attacks are absolutely NOT tolerated on Scrapbook Update and are a violation of our comment policy. Violators will have their comments removed from the site and their IP address will be banned from commenting on the site in the future as well.]

26 Responses to Margie Romney-Aslett Out At Authentique Paper

1. Sue July 15, 2011 at 12:24 pm #

Oh, that’s a shame. I hope she finds a place to land more permanently where she can continue her creative ventures.

2. Heather T. July 15, 2011 at 12:44 pm #

Authentique may not be just one person, but the only reason anyone took a second glance at them among all the nameless faceless new companies was because Margie’s name was attached to them.

• Nancy Nally July 15, 2011 at 3:15 pm #

From a business perspective I’d say that Margie’s name recognition helped bring early attention to the company’s launch, but I think the quality of these initial lines is so impressive that I think they would have been noticed at CHA Summer by wholesale buyers regardless of name recognition. Buyers care about what will sell for them, bottom line, and these lines will move.

3. Angela July 15, 2011 at 2:01 pm #

Why are negative comments about Authentique being kept and positive comments being deleted? Hmmm.

• Nancy Nally July 15, 2011 at 2:29 pm #

Our comment policy bars disparaging comments about individuals. Authentique is a business entity not covered by the same guidelines.

4. Angela July 15, 2011 at 2:33 pm #

It is unfortunate that your interpretation of Margie is that she is an individual and not a business. Even your own references earlier today about Margie refer to her businesses and it seems you are straddling the line a bit.

• Nancy Nally July 15, 2011 at 3:19 pm #

There is a difference between politely saying that you don’t care for someone’s WORK and categorically saying that you hate them as a person. One is relevant to the discussion at Scrapbook Update and one is not.

5. Laura July 15, 2011 at 2:58 pm #

Wow. In the little pond of the scrapbooking world, that feels like a bombshell headline. I loved Girl’s Paperie and found a few similar designs in the Authentique lines, so was excited for Margie’s creativity continuing on that way.

6. Natalie July 15, 2011 at 2:59 pm #

I don’t see any negative comments about Authentique.

7. Jan Scholl July 15, 2011 at 6:37 pm #

I have not seen anything from Authentique in the local stores and I am a paper junkie. If Margie’s talents are as wonderful as everyone says, she will land with her feet on the ground and head high. With the last of the scrap stores closing locally, most of my area is stuck with what Michael’s and Joann’s sells or what we find on the internet, so I am gonna go check Margie’s monthly club info, simply because I have to find out about her paper!

8. Diana July 15, 2011 at 8:36 pm #

i think the whole thing is a shame.. from both sides. i have no idea what happened and no one will ever really know as there are two sides to everything.
    what i do know is that know one i know would have given Authentique a second glance if Margie wasn’t associated with it
    and those that i do know that did look at it were not as excited as all that.
    i wish both sides the best of luck

9. Marisa G July 15, 2011 at 11:45 pm #

Actually, I liked the Girls Paperie line much better than the Authentique line designs. Plus, there were so many more embellishments available to go with the papers. I think this change will hurt Authentique more then Margie. I think she will rebound, and I really would love to see the Girls Paper line come out in digital format. I would even love it if she returned to Advantus and just continued on! Best of luck to her…

10. Lou July 16, 2011 at 12:22 am #

Authentique creates fabulous papers…. Many of my customers do not know who Margie is but fell in love with the papers for their quality and colors. One of the employees was a co-founder of My Mind’s Eye which I love and I feel like he is bringing some of that to Authentique. I think they will both succeed. Margie will do well and Authentique will do well… I wish them both luck

• Nancy Nally July 16, 2011 at 12:43 am #

I believe you are referring to Bret Cornell? He isn’t an employee of Authentique – he’s actually one of the two co-owners of the company.

11. Gina Smith July 16, 2011 at 2:26 am #

Just to clarify relationships you should probably mention that Bret Cornell and Samantha Wheatley are married and co-owners in the company. I’m not sure how much creative talents Bret ever gave to My Mind’s Eye, but the company continues to do well in his absence. I adore Margie as a person, but was not terribly excited about all four of the original Authentic papers looking so similar and some colors really working and others not so much. Might be nice to see if the change will open up their design styles to new looks. However, Margie knows how to rock her creative energy and can’t wait to see where she ROCKS the industry next. Best wishes Margie!

12. Gab July 16, 2011 at 8:34 am #

Wow what a shame for both Margie and Authentique

13. Jersey Girl Anne July 16, 2011 at 9:53 am #

WOW….something went terribly wrong on both sides and it will be inteesting to see what happens for all involved. Mr personally..I was not that inpressed with the new lines!

14. Bev Leeson July 16, 2011 at 10:01 am #

Being in Australia I’m not too sure that I can qualify to comment. What I do know is that I have bought all 4 Collections and their Matching Embellishments and whilst I have only received the Journey Collection so far, Blue being my Favourite Colour. I just adore this collection. I am sorry to say I don’t know Margie or the Authentique people well, I do know that I love these collections so far. I do not believe that only one person has designed all of these papers and Embellies, but I could be wrong as I don’t know the Company either. I just think it all seems very Sad for both Parties.
    Kind Regards,
    Beverley

15. Tricia July 16, 2011 at 10:13 am #

Thanks for the scoop. If the paper line is a good one, it will be successful with or without Margie. Best of luck to all parties concerned in this decision.

16. Jessica July 16, 2011 at 11:54 am #

♥ Margie’s work and her as a person… I wish her the very best!!!

17. Renee J. July 16, 2011 at 1:36 pm #

‘Just want to wish everyone the very best in this situation!

18. Amanda S July 16, 2011 at 10:06 pm #

That’s unfortunate on all accounts. I have several pieces of the Authentique line and am very thrilled with both the quality and the design. I will be interested to see what comes in the future.

19. Alexandra K July 17, 2011 at 8:32 am #

Change is creativity’s best inspiration….best of luck to all concerned parties….

20. Melanie July 17, 2011 at 10:35 pm #

I love Margie and I’m sure she’ll “land” well wherever/whatever her next move is, but, I do wish both parties much success in their future endeavors. Good luck to all involved here.

21. Jody July 22, 2011 at 7:31 pm #

I was very disappointed with the highly anticipated ‘Authentique’ paper line by Margie Romney. I was expecting bigger and better things than ‘The Girl’s Paperie’ lines, which I thought were fabulous. I felt the Authentique designs lacked soul, and were very ordinary in that they brought us nothing new we haven’t seen before.

I have no doubt that Margie will go on to better ventures as she certainly has an eye for design, but I don’t think it came together with ‘Authentique’.

22. Karen R. July 27, 2011 at 7:45 pm #

I just wanted to say I loved “Girls Papierie” and “Authentique” has been wonderful….Together or apart I wish both Margie & ‘Authentique’ oodles and oodles of success!!!