Jo-Ann’s Store Closed After Employee Death

The Jo-Ann Fabric & Craft Stores location at the Colony Square Mall in Zanesville, OH has been closed since Friday morning due to what the company is describing as a “tragic incident involving one of our team members” inside the store.

Local police told the Zanesville Times-Recorder that an employee committed suicide at the store, but that the death did not occur in the vicinity of other employees or shoppers visiting the store.

Jo-Ann Stores is cooperating with local authorities investigating the death, and a crisis support team has been brought in to assist employees of the store.

“We are deeply saddened by the news,” said Lisa Greb, director of corporate communications for Jo-Ann Fabric and Craft Stores. “Our thoughts are with our team member’s family at this time.”

Greb also expressed thanks to those assisting its employees during the incident: “We would also like to express our gratitude to the first responders who selflessly offered their help in this situation.”

According to Jo-Ann Stores’ blog and Facebook page, the Zanesville store will re-open at 9am Monday morning, at which time all Black Friday deals will be honored for customers.

9 Responses to Jo-Ann’s Store Closed After Employee Death

1. Denise November 28, 2010 at 11:40 pm #

Gads, that’s sad news. :( I feel for that person and all the surviving family that will have to struggle through with this.

2. Ellen November 29, 2010 at 7:19 am #

Oh my, how insanely difficult this must have been for all involved, including the employee who felt it necessary to take her own life. This is a hard time of year for so many people when the economy is troubled and the days are supposed to be “jolly.” Please, let’s support one another. Direct the depressed to clinics, hotlines, social service agencies. Be kind to one another — there’s always someone who needs that random act to remember that life is worth living.

3. flowerdisco November 29, 2010 at 9:26 am #

I do not know what to say………..anybody taking their own life is a tragedy. It had to be a lot more than that person could handle to do anything like it. My heart goes out to all and I will pray for his soul and that she/he finally find peace.

4. Lyneen November 29, 2010 at 10:38 am #

So sad, thoughts and prayers to all involved.

5. Renee J. November 29, 2010 at 2:58 pm #

Thank you to all who commented before me. Your words say it all! More thoughts and prayers going out to all in need.

6. Donna C November 29, 2010 at 4:49 pm #

I second that Ellen…..sometimes a kind word goes much further than we realize…..of course the opposite applies too.

so sorry for all involved in this sad situation.

7. Theresa Amlong November 29, 2010 at 5:36 pm #

How tragic that she ended her life in such a busy location. She must have been desperately calling out for help. Please watch for the signs of depression in your coworkers and reach out to them. I have been depressed and I know how alone I felt. Let’s take care of each other.

8. Lynda December 4, 2010 at 2:52 am #

I am so sorry that this person was so desperate as to take her own life. We can all tell by seeing those lines in the Unemployment that there are so many that have been looking for work for so long. If and when we leave our comfort zone we must remember to look at each person and make sure we offer a smile or a “hello”. I wonder if anyone took the time to speak or smile at this poor soul that day? We all have something we can give and we had better start looking and watching for signs of desperation in those faces around us. May God be with her family and friends in this tragic event.

9. Bellah, Sylvia October 18, 2011 at 2:42 pm #

I wish I had been her friend, maybe she would of seen things different. May god bless her family and co-workers. And I pray that she be in peace.