Trend Watch: Crochet Flowers

I first really noticed them back in January at CHA Winter 2010, and I see crochet flowers gaining in popularity as time goes by. A few options currently available:

Making Memories (pictured above) [Scrapbook.com | Two Peas]

Creative Charms [Scrapbook.com]

Dear Lizzy by American Crafts   [Scrapbook.com | Two Peas]

Prima  (pictured below)  [Scrapbook.com |Two Peas]

Ruby Rock It Designs  [Scrapbook.com]

Crochet flowers and doilies that are perfect for scrapbook projects can also be found in abundance on www.etsy.com.

Why are crochet flowers surging in popularity? I believe it is because they go so beautifully with the immensely popular retro and shabby chic collections currently filling stores.

Adhesive that holds can be an issue for these, so I suggest using a strong double-sided tape, a generous dollop of liquid adhesive (careful if the flower is dyed though – it can bleed), or stitching (hand or machine) to hold in place.

I really like the old-fashioned and homespun charm of the flowers, not to mention the texture and dimension they add to my pages. Here I’ve made a simple page featuring several flowers.

Supplies:
Core’dinations cardstock [Scrapbook.com]
Creative Charms blue flowers [Scrapbook.com]
Jolee’s Boutique by EK Success (white crochet flower sticker)
Jenni Bowlin gold damask rub-ons  [Two Peas]
The Girls’ Paperie chipboard letters  [Scrapbook.com | Two Peas]
Tattered Angels glimmer glam in Hay Ride  [Scrapbook.com | Two Peas]
Tim Holtz sanding grip [Scrapbook.com | Two Peas]

Whether you’re looking to add some feminine charm, a touch of vintage appeal, or just wanting something a bit different, I strongly recommend trying out knit and crochet flowers. They are widely available and in a growing assortment of colors and styles.

Check out the latest ebook from Ella Publishing:

Ella's Essential Guide to Scrapbooking Girls: 91 super-sweet ideas for girls of all ages

Disclosure

15 Responses to Trend Watch: Crochet Flowers

1. Renee J. September 27, 2010 at 11:28 pm #

Thank you, May, for sharing these adorable flowers. I love them. Oh, and your layout is really nice, too!!

2. Anna Aspnes September 28, 2010 at 12:33 am #

Love crochet flowers. Glad to see them making a comeback.

3. Sue D September 28, 2010 at 8:06 am #

You can attach your crochet flowers on your layout with some clear filament thread. You only have to use a few stitches to hold it and it’s clear so you won’t see it :)

4. Margee' September 28, 2010 at 8:29 am #

I crochet my own, they work perfect for the old vintage family photos layouts.

• R. Jill Kotsoglou September 28, 2010 at 1:16 pm #

I would like a pattern for crocheting these flowers.
      I love the way they look on Scrapbook pages.

5. Betsy Burnett September 28, 2010 at 9:19 am #

I love the look of crocheted flowers!

6. Isabel September 28, 2010 at 10:11 am #

I’ve been using crochet flowers on my vintage pages forever, for less bulk on pages I like the crochet flowers of the threads, & even crocheted with embrodery floss. I’ve even tatted and crochet lace borders. Funny how old crafts come back over and over. yo-yo flowers are fun too, maybe they’ll make a comeback LOL.

7. Linda Weber September 28, 2010 at 3:26 pm #

I too create my own flowers and also trade them in our scrapbook/card making group. They are total fun to create in the evenings whlie watching tv. I’m glad they are gaining in popularity! Patterns can be found online for all sizes and also YouTube, for the ladies who are searching for the ‘how to’s’.

8. Ronnie Crowley September 28, 2010 at 7:22 pm #

My daughter made me some for Nic Howards dimensional elements class with Big Picture. She’s only 13 and they came out great. So I would highly recommend learning to make them yourself. There are videos and tutorials all over the web on how to do it.

9. Lyneen September 29, 2010 at 1:57 am #

I love them and glad to see them here!

10. Tallie September 29, 2010 at 7:10 am #

I have been scrapbooking for 5 years and I just love going to scrapbook events in my town. You can meet new people and there is always some new ideas to take home.

11. Becci Sundberg September 29, 2010 at 7:06 pm #

I just love crocheted items on my pages! I have started making them this year for myself and have had so much interest that I have started selling them.
    I only have boys and sometimes the flowers can be hard to work in but I have found lots of ways to work in crocheted items into bright boys pages too.

12. Denise September 29, 2010 at 8:58 pm #

I love flowers, I’m just not into this type. I prefer the paper ones.

13. Gab October 1, 2010 at 3:58 am #

I wish I could crochet my own flowers but I picked up a whole stack at the markets when we were in Hong Kong last month!

14. Love to Crochet Flowers January 26, 2011 at 7:35 pm #

I love to crochet flowers – they are easy and I use them for lots of things. Thanks for the article – it’s always nice seeing what other crafters are up to.