Losses. Condolences to the family and friends of Jeff Murphy, known to many in the industry after his thirteen years in sales at EK Success/Wilton Brands that ended last year. Murphy passed away last week in a hiking accident in Yellowstone National Park.
Openings. Hobby Lobby has set the (tentative) opening date of its new store in the Ozark Crossing strip mall in Harrison, AR for August 7th. The store is expected to hire between 30 and 50 workers.
Costs. Users of Intuit’s Quickbooks Online accounting software service are being notified about upcoming price increases that will go into effect in July for users. The price for the Quickbooks Online Plus level of service will increase from $39.99 to $50 per month. Suggestions for replacements include Sage, Xero, and Less Accounting.
Changes. Amazon has announced to affiliates that it is retiring the aStore tool in its affiliate program due to low usage and poor conversion rates on the tool. Starting on July 14th, new aStores can no longer be built, and on August 11th existing stores will no longer be able to be edited. The feature will be completely retired on October 27th, at which time all aStore links will redirect to the Amazon.com home page.
Ventures. Toronto-based Scraptime host Christine Urias is branching into food art, marketing a line of candy through her new company Sweet Artisan Candies.
Designer Laura Bray is preparing to launch a line of stamps in her signature style later this month under the Laura K Bray Designs brand name, available through her website. To get a sneak peek of one of the set, visit her blog.
Events. AFCI President Mark Hill attended the 41st Japan Hobby Show put on by the Japan Hobby Association in April, and shares an interesting look at the event and trends seen at the show on the AFCI blog. Some of the trends seen may be regional while some may be harbingers of things to come in other parts of the world.
Alt Summit has announced their 2018 event dates. The 2018 Alt Summit will take place from February 26th-28th at the Saguaro Hotel in Palm Springs, CA. Registration begins on Wednesday, June 21st
Trends. Trend Curve is predicting that pink will be a hot trend for the Christmas holidays for 2018-2019. Also, Quilt Market’s e-insider has a look at trends from Spring Quilt Market for quilt fabric, which often shares design and color trends with scrapbook paper and embellishments.
Fun. Maybe it’s because he didn’t get the memo that scrapbookers think cats are trendy and cool…but whatever the reason, Garfield the Cat has been poking fun at scrapbooking.
Teams. Prima Marketing has design team calls open for their Design, Mixed Media & DIY, and My Prima Planner teams through June 30th. For information on how to apply for the teams, visit the Prima blog.
Jobs. The following industry positions are listed as open and taking applications:
- Sourcing Specialist – American Crafts (Lindon, UT)
- General Merchandise Manager – Inked Brands (Los Angeles, CA)
- Design Coordinator – Inked Brands (Bowling Green, KY)
- Graphic Designer – American Crafts (Lindon, UT)
- Senior Graphic Designer – Cricut (South Jordan, UT)
- Marketing Graphic Designer – Inked Brands (Los Angeles, CA)
- Marketing Graphic Design Intern – Inked Brands (Bowling Green, KY)
- Sales Assistant – American Crafts (Lindon, UT)
- Marketing Assistant – American Crafts (Lindon, UT)
- Product Launch Manager – Cricut (South Jordan, UT)
- Relationship Manager – Inked Brands (Los Angeles, CA)
- Copywriter – Inked Brands (Los Angeles, CA)
- Creative Director, Marketing – Inked Brands (Los Angeles, CA)
- CRM Manager – Inked Brands (Los Angeles, CA)
- Marketing Director – Inked Brands (Los Angeles, CA)