Pretty Practical Planners, Episode 1: Simple Stories Carpe Diem Planner

Welcome to the new Pretty Practical Planners series on Scrapbook Update!

In this new series, I’m going to be sharing over the course of 2016 what paper planning supplies I’m using, how I’m using them, and what works and what doesn’t.

Planners are hot in the scrapbook industry right now, and all over craft sites on the web you can see planners heavily decorated with stickers, stamps and washi tape. Many of them are works of art, but my first priority is productivity. My goal in my planner is to be productive – but to make it pretty and have some fun along the way!

The first episode is devoted to two things: why did I start a paper planner, and what one am I using?

Here’s a sneak peek at the planner that I’m using, the Simple Stories Carpe Diem planner (ACOT/Scrapbook.com/SimonSaysStamp).

Pretty Practical Planners series on Scrapbook Update, episode 1 - Simple Stories Carpe Diem

This series will be partially blog entries and partially video. For part one, here’s a video overview of the Simple Stories Carpe Diem planner and how I’ve set mine up to start working with it!

Next time I’ll be sharing some of the things that I’ve added to my planner, as well as some of my first steps to make practical pretty! Make sure to come back and check it out!

6 Responses to Pretty Practical Planners, Episode 1: Simple Stories Carpe Diem Planner

1. gabmcann March 10, 2016 at 3:40 am #

That was great – thanks Nancy!

2. cycworker March 12, 2016 at 10:15 pm #

Love it. What are you going to do with the pages after you’ve finished with them?

• Nancy Nally March 15, 2016 at 11:48 am #

I will keep the pages for as long as I think there is useful information on them and then shred/recycle. I’m not treating this as something that is an album to hand down. It’s a way to get organized and make my day to day life a little prettier. It’s also a way to play a bit creatively as I go through the day and have a bit of relaxation as I plan and do.

3. Doreen April 1, 2016 at 10:51 am #

Nancy my weekends are just as full as my weekdays. Any solution for this? I emailed one online retailer an the response was sorry no solution email the manufacturer. I thought maybe you had a current work around. Thanks!

• Nancy Nally April 2, 2016 at 12:29 am #

I know the feeling, as being self-employed I typically work straight through the weekend with a huge to-do list myself!

What I do on the weekends when the Carpe Diem planner has the half pages is that I pare down my to do list. My list is usually carrying items that aren’t all going to be done in one day – carryover tasks I haven’t found time for yet. Many of those tasks can’t be done except during business hours – phone calls to people who work regular hours, errands to places like the bank or post office, etc. So I carry those tasks over to Monday and only put on the weekend the tasks that can be done then. I typically don’t have a “schedule” on the weekend so that’s not a big issue for me. If I do have an item or two, the limited room isn’t a big deal.

If you need more room occasionally when you have a super busy weekend, maybe using an extra printable insert would work for you. There’s tons available on Etsy or even as free downloads.

• Doreen April 2, 2016 at 7:58 am #

Thank you Nancy!

Let us know your thoughts!