Snapshots from CHA Mega Show 2015

The lights are turned out and the booths all disassembled. Suitcases have been packed and flights boarded for home….the CHA Mega Show 2015 has passed into history.

Anaheim Convention CenterApparently, Anaheim didn’t get the memo that California is a desert. It was grey and drizzling rain for the majority of the days of the show, welcome weather for local residents but not for show attendees.

Hot Product PreviewTwo product preview events were run on Friday evening, one for the designers and one for buyers and media. The one for buyers/media, pictured above, was packed, and the stations around the room’s edge were busy with attendees getting a closer look at products after the presentations were done.

CHA Block PartyFortunately, the weather was clear (and warmer than last year) for the Block Party on Friday evening. Attendees mingled and ate from food trucks on the plaza between the Marriott and Hilton hotels in front of the convention center. A band also provided music for dancing.

Nancy NallyRemember my recent mini-rant against brown in the CHA trend preview? Well, apparently I traumatized poor Tim Holtz because he was afraid to use brown in front of me while demoing for my group at their private demo event! Tim sent me home with a limited edition “brown free” Tim Holtz original tag! To see the whole demo, and learn that Tim is just as talented when you take his brown away, check out the video from Scrap Time.

Tim HoltzVintage may not be as popular as it once was, but Tim still is!

Shimelle May FlaumMay Flaum and I stopped by the American Crafts booth to visit Shimelle Laine and see her new baby I mean collection. Wonder Boy was quite adorable (and the collection was cute too!)

Kelly PurkeyKelly Purkey was giving demos in the Hero Arts booth using her new stamp collection, Clearly Kelly.

Gelato RainbowI love anything with rainbows of color, so I had to get my picture taken with the display at Faber-Castell showcasing the Gelatos color palette – including the addition of the new pastel colors.

Blogger PartyThe invitation-only FaveCrafts blogger party on Saturday night was one of the hottest tickets at the Mega Show. Held at the Hilton Anaheim, it was populated by dozens of the industry’s top bloggers who attended to network with each other and with manufacturers.

Ken OliverKen Oliver was exhibiting his new line of products at the show.

Create And Craft TVUK television channel Create and Craft TV, which recently made its U.S. debut, was broadcasting live from the CHA Mega Show floor to the U.S. and U.K. Many familiar faces, like Sara Davies (pictured above on the left in the purple) made appearances.

Marion SmithMarion Smith Designs had loads of new products crammed into their booth, including a new kit for mixing your own spray ink colors!

, , , , , , ,

15 Responses to Snapshots from CHA Mega Show 2015

1. Barb in AK January 15, 2015 at 2:12 am #

Love the photo of Shimelle with her baby— well, I guess he’s not much of a baby anymore 🙂 Thanks for the coverage, Nancy !

2. janscholl January 15, 2015 at 2:48 am #

You showcased a couple of artists I had no idea who they were. Maybe a link to webpages next time? I love seeing new people in this crafting world. Especially men…they have a nice and different perspective sometimes.

3. Lorraine R. January 15, 2015 at 4:50 am #

I totally agree with you on the brown……

4. gabmcann January 15, 2015 at 6:48 am #

Thanks for the great report – and linking to the video! Loved it!
    And great pic of you, May, Shimelle and Wonder Boy – he is adorable!

5. Marilyn E January 15, 2015 at 9:47 am #

Awesome! Thank you for sharing!

6. Sharon January 15, 2015 at 11:50 am #

Just back from CHA. Vintage is still with us, just prettier! Tim makes everything artsy, even without the brown 🙂 It was a quieter show, and judging by the value of the orders I placed, scrapbooking and paper art is alive and well! Some companies were noted by their absence.
    Multimedia is everywhere, which will keep the industry healthy. Thanks for your work, Nancy. Hope you will post more on your perspective of the show. Always appreciated!

• Nancy Nally January 15, 2015 at 11:51 am #

Definitely have more coming about the show, both here and on Craft Critique!

7. Jane January 15, 2015 at 12:25 pm #

Thank you so much for your posts! I am now retired from the scrapbooking industry, although not retired from scrapbooking! it is great to hear about all the new products and companies. I never fail to read your e-mails.

8. DorothyCC January 15, 2015 at 1:09 pm #

Couldn’t agree with you more about brown!

I’m excited about the possibility of new scrapbooking and craft TV shows. Perhaps in a future posting, you can tell us about the US debut of the UK television channel Create and Craft TV.

Thanks for your photos and descriptions of the CHA show for those of us who can’t attend the actual show.

9. Laura (@Bookworm) January 15, 2015 at 1:51 pm #

It’s fun to get a behind-the-scenes peek at the events. (Your orange/fuschia blouse is gorgeous — and very flattering!)

10. Heather Dubarry January 15, 2015 at 2:17 pm #

LOL! You got a brown-free Tim Holtz creation! That is awesome!
    Looking forward to more of our re-caps!

11. PjP January 16, 2015 at 4:17 pm #

Couldn’t agree with you LESS about brown. Brown rules, brown is best and Tim totally rocks! It was kind of him to give you the tag from the demo, even though you freaked him out and cramped his style ;-). Also. I’ll bet that there were a few folks at the show who would have gladly swapped their tickets to the posh soiree for an audience with Wonder Boy — you really lucked out there.

12. Craft Eccentric January 16, 2015 at 10:53 pm #

Love brown and long may it reign! As for vintage it is clearly a personal choice, but I won’t be throwing it out anytime soon 🙂 The very idea of CAS is akin to standing naked in a freezer under neon lights! Each to their own lol

13. Baerbel Born January 17, 2015 at 3:25 am #

What a great insight! As designing blogger from abroad I soak in every information I can get about the CHA from the distance. Love Ken Oliver btw. Thank you for sharing, Baerbel

14. April January 23, 2015 at 11:48 pm #

What a fun read. And I am Soooo with you on the brown, a little is fine, but I lived through that grunge trend & it’s something I’d rather not repeat. Too funny about Tim Holtz.

Let us know your thoughts!