All American Crafts Files Bankruptcy

All American Crafts, the New Jersey-based publisher of Scrapbooking & Beyond and Paper Creations magazines, has filed for bankruptcy after closing down all of the company’s publications in August.

scrapbooking beyondIn addition to its paper crafting titles, All American Crafts was also the publisher of a wide range of other crafts titles. Those titles included Quilt Trends, The Quilter, PaintWorks, Creative Woodworks, Woodturning Design, Carving, Create and Decorate, Knit Style, and Bead Design Studio.

The board of All American Crafts, which is largely owned by the family of president Gerald Cohen, passed a resolution on October 3rd authorizing the bankruptcy. The filing subsequently made by the company on October 15th is for a Chapter 7 liquidation bankruptcy, indicating the company is closing down operations and does not have enough funds to pay all of its creditors. According to the filing, the company has slightly over a half million dollars in assets, while it is over $7.5 million in debt. The paperwork also states that the company believes there will be no assets for distribution to unsecured creditors.

The assets schedule of the filing shows a company in dire straits, with only $75 in the bank. The company’s major assets are accounts receivable, and prepaid expenses to Palm Coast Data (a magazine fulfillment and customer service company located – coincidentally – in the small Florida city in which I live) and to a distribution service, not all of which may be recoverable.

Among the company’s several hundred creditors is listed a notation valued at over $2 million for the unfulfilled pre-paid subscriptions of “tens of thousands” of subscribers. Given the company’s assertion in the filing that there will be no money to pay unsecured claims like that of the subscribers, it is unlikely that the subscribers will see any compensation from the liquidation. Another possibility (as happened when Memory Makers folded) is that the unfilled subscriptions would be purchased by a rival publication. Given the current state of the publishing market, that looks unlikely as well.

The closure of All American Crafts leaves Stampington as the sole remaining major national print publisher of paper crafts content in the United States with a wide assortment of titles, alongside CardMaker magazine by Annie’s (which otherwise focuses on books for the most part) and Scrap & Stamp. A huge list of major publishers (F+W, New Track, Northridge, Meredith) formerly publishing print scrapbook magazines have either ceased publishing for the market, gone bankrupt, or moved to a digital format. A more vibrant print market still exists outside the U.S. in papercrafts, particularly in the U.K. and Canada, and some of those publications make their way into the U.S. market regularly.

At the same time as the All American Crafts bankruptcy was filed, two other publishing companies operating from the same address and also owned by the Cohen family also filed chapter 7 liquidation bankruptcy. Valu Media LLC and Nexxt Generation Media LLC were the publishers of Barbeque America, Quilt It Today, Sew It Today, Crochet 123, Knit 123, Kids Crafts 123, Bead It Today, Stitch It Today, and Paint It Today. Those two companies combined have nearly a million dollars in debt, and less than $100k in assets.

, , ,

82 Responses to All American Crafts Files Bankruptcy

1. kathyinmn October 26, 2014 at 4:25 pm #

Thanks for sharing this. Interesting how the magazine market for paper rafts has gone completely belly up.

• Irene A. Seadale January 3, 2015 at 10:12 pm #

My heart cried when I read this. I am from a generation of crafters. I especially loved The Paint Magazine. How sad!

• Ali March 12, 2015 at 11:19 am #

This is terrible. Thats why I haven’t received any answer from them. I was the winner of the 25th Anniversary of the quilter magazine. They were supposed to let me know where to pick up the janome sewing machine I won.
      No one ever told me nor answer my calls, emails, etc!
      #janome #sosad #disappointed

• jerilynno March 12, 2015 at 3:53 pm #

If you were supposed to get a sewing machine, I would think that that the machine was a donation. Maybe check with the Janome company and maybe they will make it right? It never hurts to ask. All they can say is no.

2. Anne October 26, 2014 at 5:33 pm #

Tens of thousands of subscribers … obviously, there is an interest in this area. I wonder where it went so wrong?

• Nancy Nally October 26, 2014 at 5:48 pm #

Subscribers are not the main source of revenue for magazines – advertising is. And advertisers are fleeing print for the web, where they can have much more control over who sees their ads and when. Magazines in every industry, not just paper crafting, are shutting down right and left.

Also, tens of thousands of subscribers spread over more than a dozen publications isn’t actually that much. At their peak, Scrapbooks Etc and Creating Keepsakes magazine both had circulation in the HUNDREDS of thousands, and they couldn’t make money in print when the advertisers started to disappear.

• kerry November 24, 2014 at 1:25 pm #

Thanks for posting this info. I sent in a check for a paid subscription to Paper Creations in April of 2014. Of course the check was cashed but I have never rec’d a magazine. I called several times and left messages for several different people to call me back. Now I know why I never rec’d a callback and that I can kiss my (hard earned) $20. goodbye!

• Deborah Anderson February 28, 2015 at 11:07 am #

I still had a year left on my subscription to The Quilter magazine. Guess I’m just out the money, too bad the little guy who bought their magazines don’t count when it comes to paying back their creditors.

• Colleen true August 11, 2015 at 9:08 am #

Is there a place where one can get a bank issue of Create and Decorate? Looking for the insert of Feb. 2004 thanks.

• Nancy Nally August 11, 2015 at 9:44 am #

Not that I’m aware of. Maybe eBay?

• Robert November 24, 2014 at 8:51 pm #

This is what happens when dad retires and the kids take over.

3. Jill P October 26, 2014 at 5:58 pm #

Hi Nancy, Annie’s Attic is still publishing CardMaker magazine in print as well, right?

• Nancy Nally October 26, 2014 at 6:00 pm #

Gaack, I knew I missed one! Good point!

• Helen October 27, 2014 at 3:22 pm #

Are you saying CardMaker is also gone

• Nancy Nally October 28, 2014 at 7:55 pm #

CardMaker is mentioned in the article.

4. Pamela McGillin October 26, 2014 at 6:04 pm #

OMG Nancy, you gave me a heart attack. I thought you meant my favorite company of a similar name, American Crafts.
    I’mean very sad to see these magazines perish.

• Nancy Nally October 26, 2014 at 6:07 pm #

Haha Pamela I swear that happens every time I mention AAC! You’re not the only one in the industry who confuses those two very similar names. Unfortunately, now we won’t have that problem…

5. itsybel, IsabelsScrapbooks.com October 26, 2014 at 6:09 pm #

The price to advertise in printed publications had gone so ridiculously expensive for the independent businesses we had to find alternate, more cost effective advertising. I know locally printed publications don’t sell–I hear the comment I can get the same thing online and there’s not piles of magazines that I have to deal with. I still like printed, but seems it’s all so digital now, and with so many places on the internet to get ideas–actual classes many free–see new tools before they’re even ready to be released . . . it was just a matter of time before the printed publications closed up. 🙁

6. Jan Scholl October 26, 2014 at 6:10 pm #

Rubber Stamp Madness is still being published. It’s quarterly. While the emphasis is obviously stamping, there is plenty of paper involved. I love it!

7. Celeste B. October 27, 2014 at 7:14 am #

Unfortunately I was left being owed for my publications in the summer issue. I knew this was coming when the editor mailed back my projects for the fall issue and said they were ceasing to publish the magazine. So sad to see all the print publications go away. Craft Ideas (formerly Crafts ‘n Things) is still publishing a print magazine too, although no scrapbooking layouts; just cards and craft projects.

8. Marilyln October 27, 2014 at 8:44 am #

Thank you for sharing this information…sad, but it is a sign of the times!

9. VickyR October 27, 2014 at 8:49 am #

I knew it was almost time to renew my subscription to Scrapbooking and Beyond, but something held me back. I had lost interest in their content, as they started to focus more on the “and Beyond” and less on scrapbooking. I am love my subscription to Canadian Scrapbooker and Scrapbook Magazine from the UK. I recommend both.

10. thefrugalcrafter October 27, 2014 at 9:01 am #

Hi Nancy, Scrap & Stamp Arts along with other crafting magazines published by Scott Publications are still in print with no intention of going digital (or bankrupt) please mention them too! There are also magazines from the UK that are selling subscriptions to Americans too. Cardmaking and Papercraft has a distributor in the US too.

• Nancy Nally October 27, 2014 at 11:17 pm #

Ooops, I was thinking they were Canadian like Scrapbook & Cards Today but I double-checked and they are actually based in Michigan (although being from there originally I can tell you there’s very little difference between the two often LOL)

I will add them!

• Cheryl milton January 4, 2015 at 9:22 pm #

I renewed my subscription to quilt trends. How do I get my money back?

• Nancy Nally January 4, 2015 at 9:29 pm #

Because a bankruptcy has been filed, you can’t just contact the company and ask for a refund. Everything is under control of the court. You are legally a creditor of the company, and the creditors are all assigned different classes (priorities) depending on their type of claim. How much (if any) is paid to each type of creditor is determined by various factors like the funds available, bankruptcy law, and the type of claim (secured, unsecured, etc). The company’s subscribers as a group are listed as a creditor class in the bankruptcy but subscriptions are a low priority claim. I wouldn’t count on getting much, if any, money back.

• Nancy Nally January 4, 2015 at 10:13 pm #

In fact, since you are technically a creditor in the bankruptcy, you would be violating Federal bankruptcy law if you tried to contact the company to get your money (the debt owed) back, since filing bankruptcy puts an automatic hold on all debt collection efforts.

11. creativeunblock October 27, 2014 at 11:07 am #

So sad …. there is still Rubberstampmadness, which has a very specific market, and Craft Ideas magazine, published by Amos. Craft Ideas (which used to be Crafts ‘n things and a few years ago bought The Rubber Stamper magazine) has an assortment of crafts, including stamping, cardmaking, beading, knitting, painting, etc. Besides the print issue, they also have a strong online presence. (Disclaimer: I often write articles for Craft Ideas! You can check them out at http://www.craftideas.com)
    Thanks, Nancy, for staying on top of things.
    Roberta

12. Catherine Tachdjian, Publisher October 28, 2014 at 9:11 am #

Always incredibly sad to see another papercraft magazine close. Scrapbook & Cards Today, while printed in Canada, features content from around the world and has always had a large US readership. As both a print and digital publication we are asked almost daily if we intend to go fully digital, however with the support of our amazing industry partners and retailers, we have a long and bright future in print. Thank you Nancy for always ensuring we have the most up-to-date information about the industry. http://www.scrapbookandcards.com

• VickyR October 31, 2014 at 11:19 am #

Catherine, I found your magazine quite by accident and I am now a subscriber. Great publication! I spread the word about your magazine at every opportunity.

13. gabmcann October 31, 2014 at 10:01 pm #

What a shame

14. Lisa McPherson November 5, 2014 at 2:53 pm #

If I sent money for a 2 year subscription for Create & Decorate in September, does that mean I am just out of that money?

• Nancy Nally November 5, 2014 at 9:56 pm #

It means you are an unsecured creditor in the company’s bankruptcy. The company is indicating in its bankruptcy filing that it has no money to pay unsecured creditors in the liquidation. So probably, yes, you are out your money unless you can do a chargeback on a credit card.

• Sherri November 26, 2014 at 1:38 pm #

We paid for a subscription July 11, 2014 and they closed their doors in August 2014? Shame on them for taking our money and closing 2 weeks later. Funny thing is…all the phone numbers I have been calling I have been leaving messages at except for one. Customer service. Her mailbox is full. Imagine that.

15. Susan Lynn November 9, 2014 at 7:57 am #

yet they took my money in October for back order of 4 Crochet 1-2-3 magazines! is that even legal?

16. Susan Lynn November 9, 2014 at 3:12 pm #

what is shameful is they are still stealing money from people like me.

17. Linda Johnson November 17, 2014 at 2:57 pm #

Really really liked Crochet1-2-3! Looked forward to each issue. In fact, the only crochet magazine that I got a subscription to receiving. Hopefully some other company will pick up its publishing.

18. jerilynno November 30, 2014 at 2:18 am #

I have to say, I love all the craft magazines and I still have about 3 I get mailed to me, but I gave up several of them because they want $14.95 an issue. For that price, I want it hard bound. That is not the price of a magazine. The Somersets and all the other ones in that category, I just will not purchase anymore and I do love them but I’m going to spend that much on a magazine. It makes me sad too because I would love to have some of those project instructions.

19. Me December 4, 2014 at 4:37 pm #

Two years subscription and only receiving 3 magazines. I thought subscribers would be made right. Isnt the people you got money from the first to get paid back. Its sad to see who ever was working for them lose their jobs. BUT they still have their site open and looks like it could take subscriptions even now December after closing their doors. How is this being fare?

• Nancy Nally December 8, 2014 at 11:34 pm #

In bankruptcy proceedings, creditors are paid depended on what legal class of debt they fall into. “Secured” debtors – those who received some kind of asset guarantee in return for their debt – are paid first. Unsecured debtors like magazine subscribers are lowest priority.

Everyone they owe money to gave them either money or something of value like goods or services. Subscribers aren’t the only ones who gave them something they aren’t receiving their return for.

20. M Geelan December 6, 2014 at 6:03 pm #

I am very disappointed that Create and Decorate is gone. I do feel 100% ripped off though as I also had a paid subscription. Maybe it is a sign of the times but it also was horrible management/leadership to allow this to happen. I am just plain mad to lose my also hard earned money. I feel as though it was stolen from me.

21. Mid R. December 17, 2014 at 11:58 am #

Thank you, Nancy, for answering our questions. It’s always sad to see a company go bankrupt. I have enjoyed Create & Decorate magazine so much and I had also renewed my subscription for a year. I feel I got my money’s worth with all the projects in the magazines. I wish the Cohen family well.

22. M Geelan December 21, 2014 at 9:21 pm #

I do not….wish them well! They have robbed the people that supported them…..it is outrageous! ROBBERS!!!!!!!

23. Josh S December 29, 2014 at 12:37 pm #

They stole from my wife and myself, we started calling and emailing back in August with no response of any kind. We requested a refund before the bankruptcy filing and we never heard back. If I was to take there money for services and I didn’t fulfil my end of the contract I would have to pay.

24. fran January 3, 2015 at 9:36 am #

Why were subscription payments accepted?

• Nancy Nally January 3, 2015 at 9:47 am #

I would like to know that too, Fran…

25. Nancy Coppock January 16, 2015 at 8:00 pm #

Sad they didn’t inform their subscribers! All other magazines that I’ve had scrips to that went out of publication sent me a notification. I was just looking at my back issues of my Create and Decorate when I realized that I hadn’t received one. I sent an email over a week ago and never heard back. Finally decided to google them to see if they were still in print and found this.
    I still had 2 years left on my subscription 🙁

• Nancy Nally January 16, 2015 at 8:02 pm #

The difference between those other publications and All American Crafts is that in the other instances I bet it was one publication shutting down out of many owned by a company, not a whole company.

• Nancy Nally January 16, 2015 at 8:04 pm #

When the company is going bankrupt and can’t refund your subscription, there really is no point in spending the time and effort to notify people.

26. Diana Green January 22, 2015 at 1:19 pm #

Well, this just stinks! Loved the magazine, mad that I still had another year left on subscription.

27. Kelly January 28, 2015 at 1:42 pm #

My sister was robbed as well.She paid for a two year subscription to The Quilter Magazine as a gift for me. I had only received a few and they stopped. I have been trying to call and she and I have both emailed and nothing. It is only from reading your posts did I learn anything. It upsets me that they didn’t let anyone know and I am truly disappointed. At least after reading your article I can stop wondering. Thank you for the information.

28. Kathleen Agresti January 29, 2015 at 3:20 pm #

I am so very disappointed to hear of this. The Quilter was my absolute favorite quilting magazine. My husband had paid for a 2 year subscription for Christmas of 2013, and I was wondering why I hadn’t received any since summer. You would think that at the very least the company could have sent a postcard explaining what was going on. Thanks for providing this information.

• Peggy February 6, 2015 at 6:38 pm #

I was a little slow on realizing my “The Quilter” was so very behind in delivery. I have been a subscriber since 2007. It took me till yesterday to call and discover they are gone. So sad for all us quilters that got inspired by their projects and articles in print. The issues gave me a sort of sewing fix. I will miss it tremendously.

29. gloria w February 11, 2015 at 3:01 pm #

THANKS FOR THE INFO. I NOW KNOW AS A SENIOR CITIZEN ON A PENSION IN CANADA WHO PREPAID A 2 YR. SUBSCRIPTION IN US FUNDS IS OUT OF LUCK.I NEVER THOUGHT I WOULD GET RIPPED OFF. CREATE & DECORATE WAS THE ONE I ORDERED.

GLORIA

30. Gregory P. Rowland February 16, 2015 at 7:03 pm #

Just renewed my overseas 2 year subscription, and received the last edition for August. Frustrated and annoyed to say the least! There goes $98.00

Paul.

31. Deborah Kirch March 8, 2015 at 7:29 pm #

I have been waiting very patiently for my paintworks mag to show up in mail. I finally was able to get to the correct place on computer and shocked I found that they went belly up. I am like the rest of the people I use my hard earned money to pay for a subscription and nothing. It makes me sick.

• Jan K - Pittsburgh, PA August 29, 2015 at 6:42 am #

Hi, I feel dumb because I just realized last night that I hadn’t received an issue of Paint Works for a while. I also subscribed to KnitStyle knitting mag which is also included. I do think someone should have notified the subscribers of this. Makes me sick too.

32. Nancy Nally March 8, 2015 at 7:35 pm #

I would like to share with the angry commenters here that the owner of All American Crafts, Jerry Cohen, passed away suddenly in December. Many of you are upset about the loss of a few dollars, but the Cohen family has experienced a much bigger loss, one that can never be replaced.

33. Angie Summers March 10, 2015 at 4:03 pm #

I sent a check for a renewel August 25th for Create and Decorate so guess I’m out that money too. Not good way to do business if you know you are filing bancruptcy tell your faithful subscribers and don’t take their money!!!!

34. Kathleen W March 23, 2015 at 10:12 am #

It is very sad for these craft magazine. Although you can get things online, I prefer to have them in my hand. I loved Create & Decorate, as well as The Quilter and Crochet 1 2 3.

35. Tabitha Whitney Clark March 24, 2015 at 2:07 pm #

This just sucks I gave my daughter a subscription to this magazine, and like a bunch of other people I’m out money with nothing. to show for it. My daughter never received any magazines and neither have I. How nice they took our money and just took off. I am irritated to the living end. Shame on them. 3/25/15 @12 noon.

• Nancy Nally March 31, 2015 at 8:31 pm #

They didn’t just “take off”. In fact, Mr Cohen, the owner of the company, DIED suddenly shortly after the bankruptcy was filed. You’re out a few dollars but the Cohen family is missing something they can never get back – someone they loved.

• Susan Noblet April 28, 2015 at 7:06 pm #

I have had many beloved family members pass away, all of them in fact, but I have always met my obligations. I would never ever use their deaths as an excuse for any thing. They should never have cashed our cheques, and a company is not just one man!

36. Brenda G. March 27, 2015 at 12:17 am #

Yes, I am upset too! I renewed my Create and Decorate and never received it. Been taking it for serveral years. Tried calling etc; just like some said, mailbox full or no answer. Shame on them! Some of us do not have money to spare and I loved this magazine so it was my one treat to myself. SHAME On Them!! knowing this was going to happen and still took people’s money.

37. lorileblanc April 7, 2015 at 5:48 am #

sorry for the loss of the the cohen famiy but business is business and in the world of business paying your debt wil go on, as I said sorry for their loss

38. P April 27, 2015 at 2:11 am #

I am shocked, devastated, that The Quilter Magazine is now no longer being published. It is/was my FAVORITE quilting Magazine – and the ONLY magazine I have a subscription to. I don’t see many comments about The Quilter – it is the BEST Quilting Magazine ever!

39. ladysred June 28, 2015 at 9:26 am #

Was there no consideration to any of these magazines being moved to another publishing company. I really liked Quilt Trends and The Quilter. It would have kept a lot authors and creators in business and customers happy.

• Nancy Nally June 28, 2015 at 12:11 pm #

If the publications weren’t profitable, why would anyone want to buy them?

40. Linda July 13, 2015 at 3:49 pm #

So why did they continue to take renew subscription money if they knew they were headed toward bankruptcy or had filed ? It’s stealing to keep money and not supply what was paid for. So when do we get our money back? I’m tired of being ripped off! Shame on you all!

• Nancy Nally July 14, 2015 at 1:47 am #

Technically under U.S. bankruptcy law it isn’t theft if the company filed bankruptcy and the court discharges the debt. Why did they continue to accept subscriptions if they knew they were on shaky ground? Because the moment they decide NOT to, the company is done. You can’t run a publication while not accepting new/renewal subscription money. It takes away your cash flow and scares aware both consumers and advertisers. So as long as there was hope of avoiding bankruptcy, you have to continue business as usual.

41. Linda July 14, 2015 at 2:34 pm #

Sorry for the lose but we all have had a family member or friend die. Still if I knew I owed folks money or the family member that died owed money….welll, I think it would only be honorable to repay any and all debt. Improper management is not the subscribers fault and we should not be penalized. You defend every question that is not favorable so you must be on their payroll. They could have suspended taking everyone’s money and to say the cash flow would have been a problem is a dumb statement. By that time they had to know they were going into bankruptcy. Just plain greed and unethical actions on the companies part! Glad you can live with it and sleep at night.

• Nancy Nally July 14, 2015 at 3:09 pm #

I absolutely am NOT on the payroll of All American Crafts. At one time about a decade ago, I briefly wrote a column for a magazine of theirs that closed years ago. All of the people I worked with on that project left the company long ago. I have no financial stake or emotional ties to the company. However after writing numerous stories about bankruptcies (and being a business owner myself) I know quite a bit about small business finance and bankruptcy procedure. I try to ensure that companies are treated FAIRLY in the comments here. You will see similar comments from me correcting misperceptions about bankruptcy procedure on articles about other companies on this site, which I own.

42. Joan B. July 15, 2015 at 1:47 pm #

I too sent a check in March of this year for a subscription to create and decorate. I’m guessing my money is gone too ?! I am so bummed to get this information. Is it possible to purchase past magazines of create and decorate?

• Nancy Nally July 15, 2015 at 1:51 pm #

The company has ceased normal operations and all inventory is under control of the bankruptcy trustee. Unless and until the court decides to allow for liquidation of those assets, they are frozen.

• Marta, south Georgia January 17, 2016 at 10:41 am #

I logged on today to Search for a way to order a back copy of Create & Decorate. For months I have had a tiny ad propped on top of my monitor. It was to order a subscription of the magazine, so it must be older than I remember. LOL. It has the cutest bunny project photograph of the cover of the magazine.It says Hippity Hoppity Easter’s on its way! Even using a magnifying glass, I cannot see a month or date.It was one of those postcards that is included in another publication. I am in love with this bunny but can’t see below his waist to see how he is made.Can anyone out there help me find him? Thanks so much, Grammy Marta in south Georgia

43. Lana Manis July 31, 2015 at 1:01 pm #

I am so sorry to hear of Mr. Cohen’s death and the company’s bankruptcy. I really enjoyed Create & Decorate, and had many designs published in it several years ago. The editors were always a joy to work with and were always helpful. I’m sorry how this has affected so many customers, as well.

44. Helen White August 7, 2015 at 8:35 am #

Will truly miss the various publications. It was a fine company. Also, of note, there were about 3 magazines that no longer publish.and believe they were each titled, QUILT IT, SEW IT all from same company. Each magazine was $3.99 and I really miss them.

45. GG August 20, 2015 at 8:44 pm #

Having to deal with companies that are in bankruptcy filings , I can tell you that the majority of they time, the employees have NO CLUE that upper management has filed for bankruptcy. Many if not most of the time, it’s so hush-hush it’s a shock to those that do the work and receiving checks for subscriptions is pretty much at the lowest level. I’ll bet their bosses didn’t have a clue.

Also, when a company files, you still have to work the employees and continue doing the day-to-day business, unless it’s a scummy company that just closes the doors one night an tells no one.

BTW – I lost money too with a 3 year subscription and only getting one year.

46. L December 10, 2016 at 1:30 am #

I used to work for AAC eight years ago or so. It was a foot in the door for designers and editors but it was hardly a living wage. Its true, the main income was from advertisers, not subscribers, however the company was too old school to be capable of transitioning to digital subscriptions (and advertisements). Its a shame to see everyone’s hard work behind the scenes come to nothing (even the microwave got auctioned off in the estate sale) and even more disgraceful for the subscriber’s money to be spent before delivery of the issues. Im sorry, for whats its worth. I doubt you will hear from the Cohens.

47. NLK April 3, 2017 at 2:40 am #

Where can I get a back issue of Quilt Trends, Spring 2013?

• Nancy Nally April 4, 2017 at 1:24 am #

I have no idea, unfortunately. My only suggestion would be to try eBay or ask around in Facebook groups to see if someone has one. Sorry I can’t be more help but since the company no longer exists they aren’t selling them.

Let us know your thoughts!