Tool Sightings at Creativeworld: Sizzix FoldAway & Vaessen Stamp Easy

One of the most exciting things about going to an international show is that you see products that aren’t yet available or well known in your home market. Today we’re going to look at two great tools that I found during my tour of the Creativeworld show floor, the Sizzix FoldAway and the Vaessen Stamp Easy. Both are part of the hottest tools categories in the paper crafting industry, but are virtually unknown in the U.S.

[Disclosure: Messe Frankfurt and the Creativeworld show are a sponsor of Scrapbook Update.]

Vaessen Stamp Easy

The Vaessen Creative Stamp Easy will look familiar to anyone who has used a Tim Holtz Stamp Platform or a MISTI. But this entrant into the stamp press category has some interesting details. And these details set it apart from the two products currently available in the American market.

First, the corners of the Vaessen Stamp Easy have springy feet in them. Two are in the bottom edge of the lid, and two are in the top edge of the base. The feet are intended to support the lid when it is closed so that the lid may then be pressed straight down to stamp.

Vaessen Stamp Easy

Another unique feature of the Vaessen Stamp Easy are the neodymium magnets used to hold items in place on the base. On other stamp presses, handling these powerful round discs can be a bit scary – and even dangerous if you aren’t careful. Vaessen has wrapped theirs in a pink wrap with a tab that serves as a handle. This reduces the risk of getting fingers caught between the magnets, and is a safer (and less scary) alternative to handling bare magnets.

Vaessen Stamp Easy

The Vaessen Creative Stamp Easy retails for around €22. (At press time, that converts to around $24 U.S.)

The second surprise tool that I found at Creativeworld is a new version of a well-loved tool I have in my own craft room. The Sizzix FoldAway is a version of the Sizzix Big Shot. The machine has been available in Europe since September 2017. However, no release date has been announced for the United States.

Sizzix Foldaway

The Sizzix FoldAway is a Big Shot machine that folds up for easier storage and portability! The platforms fold up into the machine’s center, and the handle twists in to the center of the machine. Closed up, the FoldAway can easily tuck into a corner of your desk or into your bag.

Sizzix Foldaway

Folded open, the Sizzix FoldAway works just like any other Big Shot machine. It cuts Bigz and thin metal dies or embosses, up to 6 inches wide.

Sizzix Foldaway

Another thing your regular Big Shot machine can’t do is offer in-machine storage! Lifting up each of the FoldAway’s platforms reveals a small compartment for storing small tools or your favorite thin metal dies.

The Sizzix Big Shot FoldAway is currently retailing in a bundle for £149.99 on Sizzix’s UK website. (This price converts to around $182 U.S. at press time).

Which of these tools are you hoping will come to where you shop?

, , , ,

22 Responses to Tool Sightings at Creativeworld: Sizzix FoldAway & Vaessen Stamp Easy

1. Lisa - papergrace March 13, 2018 at 4:15 am #

The FoldAway looks like a Cuttlebug, so I wouldn’t need that. But I’m intrigued by the Vaessen Stamp Easy. I rarely get a good first impression stamp with my MISTI (well, now that I’ve changed my ink that’s not exactly true), but I’m wondering if I wouldn’t have to press as hard? I’d be interested in seeing this stamp press in action. Thanks, as always, for keeping us updated, Nancy.

• Nancy Nally March 13, 2018 at 9:59 pm #

I have the most recent version of the Cuttlebug and love it – it’s so convenient for doing thin metal dies with light materials, and sits nicely tucked away right on my desk. But it won’t do steel rule dies or heavier materials, so I still love my Big shot for those!

• Marianne B in AZ March 14, 2018 at 2:48 pm #

I had Cuttlebug that would have been purchased about 10 years ago now (I sold it when I bought my Fiskars Fuse). I was able to run steel rule dies through my Cuttlebug just fine. Another friend, who still has that same model, is able to use the 6″ Dynamic Texture embossing folders from Stampin’ Up! But then, I have been told by others that those embossing folders do not fit through Cuttlebugs. Unfortunately, I don’t know anyone who owns a newer model of the Cuttlebug. Do you know if the opening of older Cuttlebugs were a little bit bigger? I wish put a couple of them side by side, just to check it out.

Thank you for all of the great reporting you do!

• terri March 15, 2018 at 3:07 pm #

Hi Nancy, I too have the Cuttlebug (love it) it does cut steel rule dies

• Nancy Nally March 27, 2018 at 2:41 pm #

My bad…I spaced on that one. I never use mine for that since I also have a Big Shot so I totally forgot.

2. Trish March 13, 2018 at 4:51 am #

Love the portable Big Shot, but since I already own a Big Shot and a Cuddlebug – I think my next die cutting machine will be electronic. Thank you for showing the trends and tools from Creativeworld + all of your news announcements & job openings. I appreciate your articles and look forward to your newsletters!

• Karen Dickerson March 13, 2018 at 4:00 pm #

The price of the Sizzix fold down is way to high…especially with all of the other machines out there that will do the same thing.

• Nancy Nally March 13, 2018 at 10:05 pm #

It’s a bundle that I priced, so I have no idea how much the machine by itself would be.

• Nancy Nally March 13, 2018 at 10:01 pm #

Thanks for the compliment! You’re very kind!

3. Trish March 13, 2018 at 4:52 am #

oops! Cuttlebug

4. Gabrielle McCann March 13, 2018 at 7:00 am #

So fun to see different versions of familiar products!

5. Kathy S March 13, 2018 at 5:10 pm #

I am looking forward to both -as a volunteer tutor for seniors at my local U3A these will make their creativity easier as some have joint and move ability issues so the platform will help them get cleaner images and the foldable big shot machine will be so much easier to transport to class than my normal big shot. Thanks for sharing.

• Nancy Nally March 13, 2018 at 10:04 pm #

As someone with hand issues, I love them for the same reasons!

6. MS March 13, 2018 at 5:30 pm #

Wonder if the stamp press will debut in the US? I’d be afraid being sued if I were the creator.

• Nancy Nally March 13, 2018 at 10:06 pm #

I agree that would seem a distinct possibility.

7. Ann in PA March 13, 2018 at 8:31 pm #

The fold up Big Shot looks like a winner, except for the price tag! Yikes!

• Nancy Nally March 13, 2018 at 9:54 pm #

That price was for a bundle that included a bunch of accessories and dies. Plus, VAT (the European version of sales tax) is included in list prices over there. So it’s not quite as bad as it looks at first.

• Nancy Nally March 13, 2018 at 10:08 pm #

I will admit to coveting it more than a bit!

8. Mycket March 13, 2018 at 9:45 pm #

The fold up big shot is a different version of the we are memory keepers evolution advanced die cutting machine. The evolution also folds up, the handle comes off and stores in the storage wings. You don’t need to have a cheat sheet on plates and shims and what platform to use with what die. It works on a dial pressure system. But my favorite part about the evolution advance is the fact that it suctions to the table so that you don’t have to hold it down with one hand while you crank the handle. Plus you can buy it on Amazon prime right now for $76.

• Nancy Nally March 13, 2018 at 9:57 pm #

I’ve tried out the Evolution and honestly, didn’t find the dial all that easy to maneuver and use. But that may be because I have compromised grip strength in my hand from a medical issue.

9. Mary March 14, 2018 at 1:29 pm #

I would love to buy the stamp easy and have it shipped. I’ve been searching for a store that has it and would be willing to ship. This looks to me like the most innovative stamping platform so far. The feet addition makes it very appealing.

• Nancy Nally March 27, 2018 at 2:48 pm #

Anyone who shipped a product into the U.S. that MISTI believes infringes on their patent here would be risking potential legal action, even if the sale transaction technically took place in another country.

Let us know your thoughts!