Pantone Announces Twin Colors of the Year for 2016

In an unprecedented move, Pantone has announced two colors of the year for 2016: Rose Quartz and Serenity.

Pantone swatches

While to most of us the colors look like the nursery section of a department store, Pantone has other ideas, describing the Colors of the Year in the announcement as following:

Weightless and airy, like the expanse of the blue sky above us, Serenity comforts with a calming effect, bringing feelings of respite and relaxation even in turbulent times. Rose Quartz is a persuasive yet gentle tone that conveys compassion and a sense of composure.

Pantone explained the move to choose two colors as creating balance in its Color of the Year 2016. “With the whole greater than its individual parts, joined together Serenity and Rose Quartz demonstrate an inherent balance between a warmer embracing rose tone and the cooler tranquil blue, reflecting connection and wellness as well as a soothing sense of order and peace,” said Leatrice Eiseman, Executive Director of the Pantone Color Institute.

The pink and blue pastel colors are notable not just for being the first dual colors of the year. Pantone’s usual Color of the Year selections lean toward much brighter, more saturated, colors. The last pastel seen as Color of the Year was 2003’s Aqua Sky, but even that was arguably more saturated than the 2016 selections. While not technically a pastel, for 2006, Pantone selected a pale neutral beige called Sand Dollar as Color of the Year.

The color codes for the new Pantone Colors of the Year are:

Rose Quartz
sRgb: 247 202 201
CMYK: 0 24 15 0
HTML: F7CAC9

Serenity:
sRGB: 146 168 209
CMYK: 42 24 3 0
HTML: 92A8D1

In an interesting preview of the 2016 Colors of the Year, this year’s Christmas scrapbook lines were sprinkled with pastel pink and blue. Although, when compared side by side, “Serenity” is much more purple than the prevalent blue tone in most of the holiday lines. Kaisercraft’s Silver Bells line is a good comparison:

Kaisercraft Silver Bells

So what do you think of Pantone’s decision to do two colors of the year? Good, bad, publicity gimmick? What do you think of the colors?

, , ,

19 Responses to Pantone Announces Twin Colors of the Year for 2016

1. Margaret December 3, 2015 at 5:35 pm #

Love the idea of having two colors. Thanks for linking it to a particular scrapbook line. I didn’t think I liked the colors because it reminded me of nursery colors, but Kaisercrafts has created a beautiful collection for Christmas.

2. Susanne December 3, 2015 at 7:23 pm #

When I saw the headline, I immediately thought it was a gimmick, and the fact that they are basically pink and blue will inevitably lead many to think nursery colors. Yet, that is a good thing I think, too many years of peach and mint and yellow and more recently neutrals for nursery items – I like an old-fashioned pink and blue for babies.

3. ss20ts December 3, 2015 at 8:31 pm #

Aside from the nursery colors…..all I can think of is the hideous pastels of the 80’s. Just waiting for the Golden Girls to show up…..at least it’s not mauve!

4. Linda Briel December 4, 2015 at 5:52 am #

oh, dear. Really? That’s the best they could do?

5. ScrapperQ December 4, 2015 at 6:49 am #

Hooray! in the coming year I’ll be able to use up more of my stash instead of buying new. Not a fan of pink and blue, but I look forward to seeing what the designers will come up with to incorporate these colors into something more than nursery.

6. Laura (@Bookworm) December 4, 2015 at 11:16 am #

I can’t imagine wearing or scrapbooking with either of those colors, honestly. To me, they are kind of wishy washy.

7. Laura December 4, 2015 at 11:22 am #

Even though I’d already purchased some of the Christmas line shown above before the Pantone announcement, I’m not sure I’m a fan of the colors and how they will transition into fashion and home decor. I will admit that both will be complimentary to gray, the hot neutral color for home decor right now (I absolutely love gray!). However, I can’t see myself bringing into our home or wearing either.

8. KVencel December 4, 2015 at 11:36 am #

I think the idea of dual colors is great, just not these 2 colors in home decor. I use pastels in my crafts, but never! in my home. I am a COLORFUL kind of gal.

9. Cindy deRosier December 4, 2015 at 12:07 pm #

I vote gimmick. I like both of the colors and they are pretty enough together, but I think the point of Color (singular) of the Year is to highlight one. They’d already pared down the colors to 10 in their Spring Color Report. I had a plan for the Color of the Year that’s messed up now. I’m going to have to rethink plans…

10. jjflair December 4, 2015 at 12:26 pm #

When I cover up the Rose Quartz and look at Serenity on its own, I see the endless blue sky that Pantone is referring to, and I like it. But I don’t like it as much when paired with the pink, as it does bring out the purple-y tone. Personally I think it’s a bit of a cop out to choose 2 colors for Color of the Year, but my world has not been kicked off its axis because of it. 🙂

11. MK December 4, 2015 at 3:51 pm #

Interesting color choices 🙂 Also, I believe they are both labeled Rose Quartz in the picture above.

12. Nancy Nally December 4, 2015 at 7:46 pm #

Apologies everyone for the confusion with the labeling in the original graphic of the colors…I created the graphic (and wrote most of the article) sitting in a hospital waiting room yesterday while my husband had surgery. Obviously I was a bit more distracted than I realized!

13. gabmcann December 4, 2015 at 9:46 pm #

When I look at the colours on their own I quite like them, but together I don’t … however, I do really like that Kaisercraft line – so who knows!
    I hope your hubby is OK Nancy??

• Nancy Nally December 4, 2015 at 9:50 pm #

Thanks for the concern about my husband, Gab. He had a minor kidney stone procedure yesterday for the 3rd time in 3 years. It’s getting pretty routine for us. He’s doing fine. 🙂

14. almasmom December 6, 2015 at 11:28 am #

Oh good grief. What is it, 1985? Gag me with a rat, even.

15. Pamela December 6, 2015 at 1:12 pm #

A creative mind is an open one…

In the ’50’s, pink and aqua were paired together. The twin colors for 2016 are a nice shade of muted pastels. They can be paired up with neutral colors, especially gray (like another poster mentioned above!) for a soft tranquil look. It’s a nice change for something different.

A creative mind doesn’t see what something is, but what it could become…

16. Sherrie Breese December 6, 2015 at 11:02 pm #

Love the blue, don’t like the pink. In essence, (and because I am looking at a computer monitor.) I see a warm pink and a cool blue. Bleh, Looks like the room of somebody’s grandmother in a retirement center. And I LOVE Golden Girls. Watch them all the time and delight in the fashions and decor. But lets leave it there. Back in the ’80’s. And way down there, in Florida.

• Nancy Nally December 7, 2015 at 1:32 am #

Hey, I’m in Florida! What makes you so sure we want them down here? 😉

17. Leslie Smith December 27, 2015 at 1:32 pm #

Have to laugh as the first comment that comes to mind is “not exactly trend-setters” 😉

Let us know your thoughts!