CHA Mega Show 2015 | Scrapbook Planner Products

The concept of paper planners is a big trend right now in the world in general. Filofax has suddenly become a hot brand (a scrapbook store near me recently started promoting they are carrying Filofax). Many scrapbook brands have jumped into the market for planners as well, providing planners in their company’s familiar signature design style that customers already love.

The current trend to paper planners has been driven in large part by people who wish to create customized planners. In that area the scrapbook companies have an advantage over office supply companies who have traditionally made planners, as they have a lot of familiarity and experience with designing products like stamps, stickers, washi tape and other decorative items currently desired by planner users.

Most of the scrapbook industry planners are set up on a monthly/weekly format. A few, such as the Simple Stories collection, have additional daily organization pages. However, the downside of daily pages is bulk – it makes the entire year so huge that it can’t all be carried around at once and pages have to be cycled in and out of the planner.

Perhaps the most excitement of all the new planners has centered around the Life Documented collection by Simple Stories. Created in their signature bright colors, in a 6″x 8″ size, the planner is a modular system. Each element can be purchased separately, allowing users to build their own custom planner containing only the elements they wish to use.

One popular feature of Life Documented not seen in a lot of other planners is the meal planning section.

IMG_4990 IMG_4992 IMG_4994Becky Higgins’ Project Life has dipped its toe into the waters of the scrapbook planner offshoot gradually. They were perhaps the first industry company to introduce a planner last year with their planner pages kit for their 6″ x 8″ albums. At CHA Mega Show 2015, they were showing a new more sophisticated planner design.

IMG_5113Also in the American Crafts umbrella of brands, Heidi Swapp was showing a new scrapbook planner at CHA Mega Show 2015. Her planner collection, in the pastel version of her signature palette and with her signature florals, comes with an extremely large assortment of embellishments and tools to accompany it.

IMG_5173 IMG_5169The planner collection from Me & My Big Ideas is called The Happy Planner – an apt name for their bright colored designs. A variety of accessories like stickers are available for this system, which features one key difference from the ones on show at the CHA Mega Show 2015. While the vast majority of the planners on show were 6″ x 8″ ring binders, Me & My Big Ideas chose a disc binding system for theirs.

IMG_5367 IMG_5349IMG_5354Webster’s pages was showing binders that perhaps looked the most like a Filofax, in a huge variety of colors. The planner system is quite simple at the moment but will be being expanded soon with the addition of a Megan Hoeppner-designed “Color Crush” planner. The company is also hinting at the addition of stamps to the line-up in Facebook posts.

IMG_5432 IMG_5434 IMG_5435Besides the companies showing planners, there were also companies showing planner accessories. Stamps were a popular option.

Hero Arts has an entire line of stamps coming out in 2015 that are designed for planner and calendar use. (Click on the photo for a larger view.) With four whole sets that include things like months and planner sections, these stamps will make the DIY planner crowd happy.

IMG_4736 Marion Smith Designs also has a stamp set coming to serve the planner fans in the market. This one has an interesting feature – a banner alphabet – not seen in other planner products.

IMG_4939The DIY planner fans will likely be interested in the new acetate die cut sheets from Bella Blvd. These sheets are much heavier than acetate sheets we’ve seen previously in the scrapbook market. Although they are die cut, they appear large enough to cut a tabbed divider out of for a 6″ x 8″ binder, the preferred planner size it seems these days. I foresee many of these sheets being chopped up for planner use!

IMG_4945

, , , , , , , , ,

17 Responses to CHA Mega Show 2015 | Scrapbook Planner Products

1. gabmcann January 24, 2015 at 6:57 am #

Thanks for the summary Nancy. Are people using planners to scrapbook or is the trend a return to the Filofax days before people had calendars on their smart phones?

2. MichelleB January 24, 2015 at 7:09 am #

Great review and I found some new goodies to order!

3. Kate aka stinkydudette January 24, 2015 at 7:43 am #

Nancy, do you know if those Bella thick sheets are as think as the ones from KI memories from many years ago?

• scrapper al February 12, 2015 at 1:11 am #

I think they might be even thicker than the KI Memories sheets. You definitely can’t die cut them, but you could cut them down using a really sturdy trimmer, per Stephanie/Bella Blvd.

4. Gina K. January 24, 2015 at 9:17 am #

Love this article! Thank you so much!

5. Ann in PA January 24, 2015 at 9:26 am #

The Webster’s Pages planner is smaller than most, but has “standard” sized binder spacing. This seems like a better idea to me. I have used this size for as long as I can remember. It easily fits in a large purse. The 6 x 8 size seems like it would be too large/bulky to carry on a regular basis.

6. Katie Bolinger January 24, 2015 at 9:43 am #

I just decked out my calendar with washi and stamps the Marion Smith Designs stamps would have been great to have. all the social media icons in stamp form- Brilliant

7. almasmom January 24, 2015 at 12:16 pm #

Planner? I don’t need no stinking planner — I’ve still got the FiloFax I bought in 1988! It’s been sitting quietly in the bottom drawer of my desk, waiting to make a come-back. It’s bright red patent leather with a faux alligator finish and — by the time I’m done tarting it up with the PL supplies, stamps, vellum and heavy-duty window sheets from my stash — it’ll be like Cinderella ready for the ball. Or Norma Desmond ready for her close-up 😉

I’d still like to get my hands on some of those cute Heidi Swapp embellishments (for my PL album, cards etc) but I’m not about to purchase one of those honkin’ planners of hers. I agree with Ann, anything bigger than 6X8 is impractical.

8. Paula January 24, 2015 at 1:56 pm #

US manufacturers of planners need to remember that if they want to sell their products to other English speaking countries they need to list other countries holidays on date sensitive materials or include stickers etc to cover those holidays. A company that remembers to do that receives kudos from internationals who very much appreciate the extra thought that went into the process.

9. Wendy January 24, 2015 at 2:39 pm #

So are people carrying around these supplies for their planners and doing it on the go or are they pre-scrapping them and then using them all decked out? I usually keep my calendar on my phone but have been considering going back to the paper version. I just love the tactile part of being a scrappy girl. It’s the same reason I could never go digital. I love to hold and feel everything. Also, when can we expect these products to be available?

10. jazstmpr67 January 24, 2015 at 3:14 pm #

Those stickers would look funny on my iPhone calendar!!

• Amy January 24, 2015 at 10:53 pm #

LOL!^^

11. biscuitsandbooks January 25, 2015 at 4:58 pm #

Interesting review, as always, Nancy. Also enjoyed hearing your take on the subject of planners a few weeks back on the The Roundtable. As for me, I love planners — always have, always will. My iPhone is OK for quick entries like lunch dates and dental appointments, but give me an old time planner any day for recording extended notes, business ideas, and billable hours in addition to managing my calendar. My planner of choice the last several years has been Erin Condren.com Love her designs. Interesting how planners are making a comeback with the younger crowd. (I’m definitely on the other end of the spectrum.) Hopefully the same trend will continue in my beloved scrapbooking hobby as the craft adjusts its direction yet again and leads the millenials back to the mother ship!

• Nancy Nally January 27, 2015 at 9:11 pm #

Erin Condren definitely makes beautiful planners! I’m on her mailing list. Keep an eye on Scrapbook Update next week when I’m in Frankfurt for Creativeworld – the Paperworld show is going on at the same time at Messe Frankfurt and I’m hoping to bring our readers more information about the future of the paper calendar from there!

12. Mildred Cook January 27, 2016 at 10:48 pm #

haven’t sent that stamp set anywhere

• Nancy Nally January 27, 2016 at 10:52 pm #

Which one?

13. Jess June 24, 2016 at 11:27 pm #

I’ve searched everywhere for the Marion Smith stamps that include the weather symbols and have had no luck. Were they ever released?