Organization | Stamp Storage

I must have tried a half dozen different ways over the years to store my stamps. I was constantly stymied by the fact that I need to be able to see things to know I had them, because of my ADHD, so system after system devolved into chaos for me. I also need some that is not high maintenance or I can’t keep it up.

After years of trying, I think that I have finally come up with a system that will keep my stamps organized!

My new stamp storage system is a hybrid compiling several different methods I’ve seen other people using, to adapt it to my needs and my collection of stamps.

First up, I finally just gave in to displaying most of my wood stamps on a shelf in my work area. It’s so easy to see what I have this way!

Rubber stamps on shelfThe major components of my stamp storage system are the baskets that hold my acrylic stamps. These are something of a budget-conscious adaptation of the system that Jennifer McGuire uses currently. They sit on top of a cube unit across the room from my work table but can be easily picked up to move to my desk if I’d like.

Stamp Storage BasketsThe baskets with the dividers are easy to flip through to find what I want:

Stamp Storage BasketsThere are two key components to the system: the bags and the dividers. Clear Stamp Storage To create these, I needed a few supplies:

Total price assuming you have a labelmaker already (isn’t that a necessity of modern life?), is about $35 for all the supplies you see me using.

To make the bags for the stamps, I cut the cardstock in half across the long side to make a 5.5″ x 8″ sheet. Put one of the cardstock sheets in a plastic bag, pop in the stamp set, and you’re done!

The dividers are made from 12×12 chipboard sheets that are cut into 6×12 strips and then an inch is trimmed off of them to make them 11″ tall. The labelmaker makes easy to read labels for them.

All of these are inserted into Sterilite baskets that are available at most major department stores. I believe mine came from Walmart.

In addition to my clear stamps, I’m also storing a few other lightweight flat things in this system, such as dies.

Stamp Storage SheetsSome of my stamps (such as Unity brand) didn’t come to me stored on sheets, so I had to buy sheets to store them on. These came from Joann.com and come in sheets that are about 8.5×11, so I cut them in half to use in my envelopes. Storing Small Clear StampsTeeny clear stamp sets can be a difficult storage issue. I dealt with this by just putting each set in one of my big bags. If being in the bottom of the bag makes them difficult to see as I work more with this system, I can always tape a copy of the stamp set to the top of paper inside the bag.

I have a few things that are still stored in some of the plastic storage boxes I used previously. The old Ali Edwards stamp sheets were 8.5×11, too big to fit in my bins, so they are still in a plastic storage box. Also in one of those boxes is my collection of Tim Holtz stamps, for the same reason. Then I have a box that holds my large collection of Christmas stamps. It keeps them out of the way during the off-season, and makes them easy to move to my desk when I do need them.

A few of my stamps are also stored on my pegboard, in baskets: a few Project Life favorites, my Close To The Heart stamps, and a few of my latest card stamps. It keeps them close at hand. (The CTMH stamps are there simply because they don’t fit well in the basket system but they fit perfectly in one of the pegboard baskets.)

How do you store your stamps? Are you inspired to reorganize?

9 Responses to Organization | Stamp Storage

1. Cassandra January 3, 2014 at 1:00 am #

I have admired Jennifer McGuire’s system but didn’t have hundreds of dollars to spare. I would rather buy more stamps even if I did! This is the perfect solution!

2. LindaBabe January 3, 2014 at 5:55 am #

Always inspired to organize – and I am so stealing your pegboard idea from earlier in the week!

Most of my stamps are wood mounts, so I leave them in their boxes. Can’t bring myself to split them up.

I do have a lot of framelits, spellbinder dies, quick kutz and so forth, though. I store them like you store your acrylics – on magnetic sheets cut from HVAC vent covers instead of card stock. No dividers, though, so your chipboard divider idea is brilliant for me – no more rummaging!

3. Susanne January 3, 2014 at 7:26 am #

I did a cheap version of JM’s system too years back, but I have to admit I tend to use clear stamps once I get them and then they are banished into the system. Maybe it’s because I prefer wood mounted rubber or cling rubber stamps. I don’t have room to set all my stamps out in the open, so the wood and cling ones I have photographed and have a flip file sorted by type. I can spot the stamp easily in the file and then go retrieve it. Maybe it’s time I add my clear stamps to the same system to see if I use them more. Thanks for another thought – provoking post Nancy – it’s good to revisit our organization from time to time and fix what isn’t working.

4. lucie hale January 3, 2014 at 9:23 am #

Your storage solution is exactly what I need. I’ve had mine in binders but they are out of site and I don’t use my stamps as much cuz I forget what I have. I can’t wait to get the baskets and bags and get more organized.

5. dottiej27 January 3, 2014 at 9:42 am #

I find that I have to do a light reorganize at least once a year to keep my most-used supplies near at hand. About every 3 years I will do a major reorganize in my studio. Work methods and styles evolve over time and new tools prompt a re-evaluation of storage methods. I think studio organization is never really finished.

6. Sally Lynn MacDonald January 3, 2014 at 12:25 pm #

Nancy, like you, I need them all in front of me. I found a perfect way to do that, for both my physical and digital stamps if you’d like to review it.

Sally Lynn

7. Sally Lynn MacDonald January 3, 2014 at 12:34 pm #

Actually I reblogged a more detailed post here.

8. CC January 3, 2014 at 1:20 pm #

I always enjoy seeing how others store their stamps. I have way too many wood mounted stamps to store on a shelf or shelves so I use a system I saw on a blog several years back. It’s sort of hard to describe, but it has worked well for me. I use gallon size Ziplock bags (buy in bulk at Sams Club) and cut a piece of cardboard to about 8″ x 9″ (not sure of the exact measurements since I haven’t cut any in quite a while but they just need to be enough smaller than the bag to allow room for the stamps). Slide the cardboard into the plastic bag and then line up the wood mounted stamps in the bags and zip closed. These are then stored up-right in bankers boxes that are reasonably priced at Walmart, Staples, etc. It’s like a wood mounted stamp file system. I can open the file box and go through the line up of bagged stamps pretty easily. I file them by season or holiday or theme, so have file boxes for Christmas, spring, trees and leaves, etc. etc. etc. My clear and cling stamps are stored in photo boxes that I only purchase when Michaels has them at their very lowest price a few time a year. They are also sorted by holiday, season or theme, so I only have to go through a box or two to find what I’m looking for.

Thanks for sharing your system. I was glad to learn about the white chipboard available through Amazon!!! :) I can see a lot of uses for that even though I save things like cereal boxes and other food packaging like a mad woman! LOL!

9. gabmcann January 4, 2014 at 4:12 am #