CHA Summer 2013 | Hot Pick: Simple Stories

This time around I’m doing something a bit different with the CHA Hot Pick list. Instead of giving the ten Hot Picks to my readers in one huge overwhelming chunk, I’m going to give you one pick per article for each of the ten picks. At the end, I’ll publish a summary list for easy reference of all ten. This will allow me to bring you more information about each of the Hot Picks, and also bring them to you faster!

So here are the hot picks for CHA Summer 2013 (aka Create-n-Connect), in no particular order…

Hot Pick: Simple Stories

This pick was an easy one to make. Simple Stories was the top vote getter in our pre-show Sneak Peeks survey, and it was the name I heard over and over again talking to show attendees about what they liked. Simple Stories did a huge release for this show: Four collections of 12×12 papers and elements plus their matching SN@P! system accessories, along with albums and page protectors.

For all those summer days in the sun, Simple Stories has a new collection called “I {heart} Summer”. Created from bright colors like yellow, red, and turquoise, and grounded with deep shades of brown, the collection features summer icons like bicycles, ice cream, clouds, surf boards, and flip flops.

IMG_7916

IMG_7919 IMG_7920

IMG_7922 IMG_7921

Here’s a background sheet and some of the collection stickers used to make a layout:IMG_7923

This SN@P binder is decorated with a combination of stickers, a flair, patterned paper, and a 4×4 quote block from the collection:IMG_7918

If your summer vacation included a visit to the land of the mouse – Disney – you’ll love the next Simple Stories collection! “Say Cheese” won our pre-show Buzz survey, and was even better in person! This is bound to be a hugely popular line with consumers.

IMG_7904

IMG_7905

IMG_7900 IMG_7901

Gorgeous booth samples showed the line’s versatility for 12×12 pages and for pocket scrapbooking (which is great for getting lots of vacation pictures done quickly):

IMG_7926 IMG_7930

The Say Cheese collection comes with a bonus item not available with other Simple Stories collections – an autograph book that holds 4×6 photos and has room for characters to sign their names!

IMG_7898

After the summer is over comes back to school time, and Simple Stories has a collection for that season called “Smarty Pants”.

IMG_7897

IMG_7894 IMG_7895

Smarty Pants is great for small themed albums and also for teacher gifts:

IMG_7893

Simple Stories’ final collection for the summer CHA show was of course for Christmas! “December Documented” is red, green, black, and gray with slight touches of blue and of the chalkboard effect that is so trendy currently. Along with 12×12 and 6×8 leather albums in red and green, this collection is sure to be popular with the December Daily project crowd.

IMG_7909

IMG_7906 IMG_7911 IMG_7912

With the 6×6 paper pad, the collection will be great for holiday cards, too! These small scale, overall prints are great for layering with other design elements.IMG_7913

IMG_7908

Also interesting is what season Simple Stories chose not to cover. With the burgeoning popularity of Halloween, they were one of the few companies on the show floor not showing a Halloween line. However, given the style of scrapbooker they appeal to, a full scale collection of Halloween probably isn’t warranted for this type of customer. I for one won’t miss it.

All of the new Simple Stories lines will ship to stores in August, with the exception of the new SN@P sets, which will ship in September.

, ,

13 Responses to CHA Summer 2013 | Hot Pick: Simple Stories

1. Gena July 30, 2013 at 12:47 am #

Huh… We didn’t get any sense of welcome from their booth and were not ‘wowwed’ so we left….

We weren’t given a catalog, we were’t shown new product, nothing. They were in that corner, which we returned to several times, but never went back into their booth and didn’t order.

• Kevin A Crowell July 30, 2013 at 11:59 am #

Gena,

I am Kevin the co-owner of Simple Stories, which I own with my wife Amber. I am so sorry to hear that you didn’t have a good experience at our booth at the show. I can assure you that we have a friendly, professional team who love more than anything to work with store owners and retailers like yourself.

Here is our number 801-737-3242. Please give us a call so that we can make this right with you. You can contact me directly. I look forward to hearing from you and working with you.

Thanks

Kevin

2. Alison Drummond Jones July 30, 2013 at 4:25 am #

That’s such a shame about the above … that’s not good! I was just commenting to say what a fab line December Documented is – not too many snowmen or snowflakes in sight – great for Christmas in Australia! It does put you off, though when you hear comments like the above ….

3. Trish Cortez July 30, 2013 at 11:02 am #

That’s to bad Gena, They have a great product and normally super friendly! I did notice a lot of BUYERS, STORE OWNERS not taking advantage of the special power hours where they could be one on one. Instead they choose to come all during the day and kept everyone busy.(I’m a designer, but, I browsed through everything). I was introduced to their product in January at the winter show and was awed. I have since found out, they are quick to ship and their product has been flying off the shelf in California. I would recommend try them out again-They are super nice and a family owned business. All the lines they debut last week were amazing and you can use for so many things, (the best part of their lines- you can create without wasting paper as the designs carry through the whole page. **I do not work for or am I connected to the company.

4. Jennifer July 30, 2013 at 4:50 pm #

Can you tell me which stores will be carrying these? I live in ohio
    Thanks,
    Jennifer

5. Linda L in Tennessee July 30, 2013 at 7:26 pm #

I am a consumer and will be ordering all four of the complete collections. Retailers should hang tough in this economy and take note of customer demand and order accordingly. I just wish I had a LSS….I order from Scott at BlueMoonScrapbooking or Emma’s Paperie.

6. Deanna Hutchison July 30, 2013 at 8:29 pm #

these lines ROCK!! I’m a store owner and was in their booth a couple of times and it was always super busy and EVERYONE was always so helpful and friendly–loved it all! We already have a ton of requests for this product in store and can’t wait to get our hands on it–this will be HOT!

7. Kathy P August 1, 2013 at 12:03 pm #

These lines are a huge hit! I have already pre-ordered TWO complete sets of Say Cheese!, and one of the Christmas sets, too! I already have I Heart Summer….fabulous papers! I agree that this is one hot group of collections from SS!

8. Drea August 2, 2013 at 7:47 am #

I completely disagree about the Halloween thing…

“With the burgeoning popularity of Halloween, they were one of the few companies on the show floor not showing a Halloween line. However, given the style of scrapbooker they appeal to, a full scale collection of Halloween probably isn’t warranted for this type of customer. I for one won’t miss it.”

What kind of scrapbooker are you referring to? I for one love Halloween, and love to scrapbook it like I think a whole lot of Scrapbookers do! It really is one of the most fun and inspirational things to scrap — Halloween time — because of the costumes and the decorations and the whimsy and general good feeling of the holiday! It’ so happy and fun with a sweet, child-like innocence that is filled with imagination and magic! And each moment of it tells a story — what could appeal more to a scrapbooker than that? The holiday just screams “scrapbook me, scrapbook me”! I think all of these aspects of the holiday make it a clear theme for Simple Stories to run with (fun, whimsy, sweet, tells a story, etc), and yet no Halloween line… I think that Simple Stories is really loosing out on serious money not putting forth any Halloween product each and every year. It doesn’t make sense! I love Simple Stories and always hope against hope that they will put out a Halloween line and am always so disappointed. Halloween is a major holiday for the crafting community and the rest of the scrap industry recognizes it because like you said, Nancy, they were one of the only companies not to have a Halloween collection…that is really saying something right there! As far as Simple Stories fans not needing Halloween product…I don’t think so. I’m a Simple Stories fan and I will be scrapping layouts and mini albums for Halloween like I do every year as well as making decorations with the scrap stuff I buy…oh and party invitations and Happy Halloween cards too…but obviously not with Simple Stories! And I for one, will miss it.

p.s. I heart scrapbook update and usually agree with you, Nancy, but not on this one.

p.p.s. Simple Stories, please make a Halloween line next year…if you do…I will buy it and so will a whole lot of others I’m sure because your stuff is adorable!

9. Gab August 2, 2013 at 8:41 am #

I think I will be getting all of these lines – love them all!

10. Tracey B August 3, 2013 at 3:18 am #

Love these lines. Sorry but I don’t agree with the Halloween line…. I’m in New Zealand & we don’t celebrate Halloween, Thanksgiving & our Christmas is in the middle of our summer. So I am always looking for Christmas stuff that doesn’t have too much snow, sleighbells, skating etc. We are beach, BBQ & summer holidays for our Christmas. I love to use some of their products in my PLife album.
    Keep up the good work Simple Stories

• Nancy Nally August 7, 2013 at 7:53 pm #

Tracey, I live in Florida where we have palm trees and can sometimes swim outside on Christmas, so I feel your pain about the traditional snowflakes and snowmen. I also get tired of all the “fall” and Thanksgiving stuff that has colored leaves since we don’t have that here.

I also spent part of my childhood living in the UK where they don’t celebrate Halloween or Thanksgiving so I understand your apathy towards those holidays.

11. Nancy Nally August 7, 2013 at 7:49 pm #

I was referring to pocket scrapbookers, who tend to use fewer supplies per holiday. When you are doing a photo a day, or a weekly album, and Halloween is only one day out of that…you don’t need a ton of Halloween supplies to do what you want to do.

Christmas is different because it is more of a 6 week season than just a single day. Halloween, while growing in size and popularity, hasn’t reached that point of taking over everyone’s lives for all of October. Yet.

I totally recognize the importance and popularity of Halloween. My comment was solely based on the needs of a particular customer base who doesn’t need an entire massive collection to scrapbook a single day because of how they create.