CHA Announces Summer Show To Co-Locate With NAMTA

The Craft and Hobby Association has announced that, instead of holding an independent summer show in 2014, it will co-locate with the International Art Materials Trade Association show. NAMTA’s Art Materials World Trade Show and Conference will take place in Pittsburgh from April 30th to May 2nd, 2014.

“CHA is delighted to partner with NAMTA in their annual trade show to bring greater business opportunity to our members,” said Maureen Ruth, CHA Board Chair.

Andrej Suskavcevic, CHA President and CEO said, “I look forward to this partnership with NAMTA as we look to help our members build new relationships to grow their business.”

According to the announcement:

Both CHA and NAMTA exhibitors will occupy a portion of the exhibition space and the two associations will collaborate on an expanded series of program sessions. Additional details regarding the exhibition, registration, program sessions and other items will be announced in the coming weeks.

“We are very excited at the prospects of these two well-respected associations working more closely to deliver greater benefits and value to their members, exhibitors and conference attendees,” said NAMTA Executive Director, Reggie Hall “Our associations, our members and our industries overall continue to face a wide range of challenges and this partnership will address those challenges to benefit everyone involved.”

In addition to the partnership with NAMTA, CHA has also indicated to members it has plans for a series of what it is calling “creative conferences” in various locations around the U.S. in 2014. More details are still to announced about those events.

, ,

22 Responses to CHA Announces Summer Show To Co-Locate With NAMTA

1. S Wogatske July 24, 2013 at 1:40 pm #

Can anyone attend this trade show or is it limited to vendors?

• Nancy Nally August 7, 2013 at 7:58 pm #

The Craft and Hobby Association (and NAMTA) limit attendance at their shows to qualified industry professionals. The shows are not open to the general public.

2. cwest100 July 24, 2013 at 2:22 pm #

Great question – I wondered the same thing. The second part of my question is, do you need to be a blogger?

• Nancy Nally August 7, 2013 at 8:00 pm #

“qualified industry professional” encompasses a lot of things – wholesale buyers, designers, media, professional crafters, other jobs in the industry

3. Heather Dubarry July 24, 2013 at 4:49 pm #

Now I might actually be able to afford to go! When was the last time they did anything near the northeast?

4. Terri Harmon July 24, 2013 at 6:39 pm #

Are there still plans for a winter CHA in January? If so, how will this impact a follow-up show in April?

• Nancy Nally August 7, 2013 at 8:00 pm #

The Winter show will go on as usual. It’s only the summer show that is affected by the NAMTA announcement.

5. deb July 24, 2013 at 10:57 pm #

WOW…tfs

6. Tammy Dailor (@tdailor) July 25, 2013 at 7:28 am #

Very interesting. My first thought is that it could significantly reduce the attendance among scrapbook mfgs. They may have mid season releases to show but wouldn’t be ready with 4th quarter/holiday releases. Hmmmm… maybe it will revive the Memory Trends show….

7. Belinda Basson July 25, 2013 at 10:23 am #

I can’t see Christmas and the other seasonal lines being read for April!

8. Jennifer S. Wilson (@jenniferswilson) July 25, 2013 at 10:45 am #

I’d love to see a virtual trade show online event for summer… where manufacturers prepare video presentations of new products in a standard format/length and catalogs are available to download along side the video. Add in a forum for Q&A and some live chats with personalities. So many other industries do this now and the technology has matured enough to make it widely accessible.

As others have said, I don’t see April really working… and I’d prefer they just rip the bandaid off instead of this slow, painful death of the summer show.

9. Gena July 25, 2013 at 10:48 am #

Not only is that way too close to winter CHA for enough new releases to be ready, but National Scrapbook Day is May 3, 2014… Our store always does a big event. Even if could afford to travel to another show so soon, i wouldn’t because of it’s timing.

10. Silverchakra July 25, 2013 at 2:39 pm #

I don’t like this at all! Many of you have already stated the reasons especially the poor timing for new releases and the proximity to the winter CHA! I know the CHA President is trying to put on a good face but in fact may not like the idea at all, who knows? I just don’t think this is going to fly.

Jennifer – I am intrigued by your online idea and it would certainly open things up for so many more people!

11. Sue Carolfi July 25, 2013 at 4:34 pm #

I totally agree with the others who spoke up here! I think an online show would be fabulous for all of us who can’t attend a show and it should be open to the public! Jennifer hit this one right on!

12. Kate Swanson July 25, 2013 at 10:55 pm #

Jennifer, Silverchakra and Sue – I sat in on the Town Hall session and asked that exact question. The response seemed to be that CHA would not facilitate an online trade show because it can be very complicated. As a manufactuer, I am sad to see the summer shows end, as we had a fantastic show and believe the companies that attended this show are the core and would return again and again. On average, a third of our show orders are new companies and now we will miss meeting with new LSSs and seeing our clients every 6 months. I understand the reasoning, but still sad to see it go!

13. donna August 3, 2013 at 5:56 pm #

I’m sure we wouldn’t attend this since our store is in California. Too pricey. It was pricey to go to Vegas, so def not the east coast.

14. serenite8911 August 4, 2013 at 5:38 pm #

My friends and I are VERY excited to have a show so close to us. We could never afford to travel to CA and even going to NYC can be too pricey for us. We’re thrilled that someone is finally recognizing us mid-westerners and are already making plans to attend! Thank you, CHA and NAMTA!! :)

• Jenna August 4, 2013 at 10:21 pm #

You say you ‘and your firends’… Do you have a store or are you a consumer?

15. Patricia August 7, 2013 at 10:35 pm #

Customers (end users) being able to attend (and you can see the several comments here from people who are clearly end users) was part of the demise of these shows! There is NO OTHER industry where the consumer is as aware and involved in the industry trade shows as this!

• Nancy Nally August 9, 2013 at 10:57 am #

I never encountered anyone in Vegas that I thought really shouldn’t be at the show. Maybe I was too busy with my own work to notice other people around me much…but I really think that problem has largely gone away in the past few years. It’s not like it was a couple of years ago when the show was flooded with what I call “tourists”.

I see people saying here they would LIKE to go but nothing that tells me what their credentials are, or any indication that they’d be able to get in if they aren’t qualified. Serenite mentioned her friends in her local area but she may be an industry professional and be connected with other designers, instructors, professional crafters, or other sort, in her area that she calls friends, or even other regional store owners. It’s a social industry. I call many of my industry colleagues friends.

There are actually several other industries that I can think of where consumers (at least what I would call the pro-sumer level ones) are aware of the trade shows: fashion (fashion week, Paris shows, etc), photography, technology (CES, Apple events, etc). Do I follow the fashion shows each season as a jeans and t-shirt wearing suburban mom? No. But there are fashion obsessed people who buy WWD (a trade mag) and surf the web for reports from Bryant Park and Paris fashion week, and Milan, and who dream of going to those shows.

Your circle is probably made up of people who are knowledgeable and engaged like you, so they care about CHA. The average Michael’s-shopping casual scrapbooker does not follow CHA anymore than I follow fashion week…in fact, when I’ve mentioned CHA to Michael’s employees who are knowledgeable crafters they didn’t even know what it was most of the time. CHA obsession it seems is pretty much a symptom of scrapbookers who shop at boutique stores and who are obsessed enough with their craft to follow the blogs of the individual manufacturers and designers.

That said…CHA buzz and excitement is a powerful marketing tool for the manufacturers and stores. We’ll lose some of that with the NAMTA change and that will certainly be a problem.

16. nerdyobservationsS August 8, 2013 at 12:51 am #

I agree with Patricia that customers can get in the way of buyers and owners trying to work. We ran into that issue in California where I couldn’t get near a few booths because the CA stores brought their customers. The owners, buyers and employees of the Stores need to be able to do the make & takes, talk to the reps and so forth. With customers there it makes it nearly impossible. Stores should also be limited to the number of employees allowed as well.

I’m really irritated about the summer show too. I need to see the product I’m buying and not just on a computer screen. Seeing product in person really affects my buying. I do 75% of our purchasing at CHA shows… Hopefully they will reconsider

• Nancy Nally August 9, 2013 at 10:31 am #

I personally will miss the summer show, as I’ve always found it very valuable. Bottom line though was that not enough people feel like you do about the summer show, and about needing to see product in person. Attendance had plummeted in recent years, and it had become almost exclusively a scrapbook segment show. With attendance dropping, more and more vendors were deciding that attending the show wasn’t a good investment (it costs them tens of thousands of dollars, minimum, to attend a show – often over $100k for the large exhibitors). As fewer vendors started coming, then the number of buyers dropped – it became a vicious cycle of nobody coming to the show because nobody comes to the show.

Those shows cost A LOT of money for CHA to put on and there is a tipping point where they can no longer cover their expenses from the attendance they are getting and can just literally no longer afford to put on the show. It appears they’ve hit that point.