Northridge Publishing Shifting To All-Digital Publishing

[Disclosure: I have a professional relationship with Northridge Publishing as the Editor of Creative Retailer magazine.]

Northridge Publishing has announced that it is shifting all of its publications to all-digital publication, starting with the August 2013 issues.

Northridge is the publisher of Scrapbook Trends, Cards, Cricut Magazine, Cricut Magazine Idea Books, Create: Idea Books, Signature Series, and Creative Retailer. The company also published Bead Trends and Simply Handmade, but those two titles are being discontinued concurrent with the shift to digital publishing.

Northridge has been offering its publications in a digital format for some time as an alternative to print delivery, but as part of the shift to publishing exclusively in digital, the company will be shifting to a new digital platform. The new digital platform will initially be available for viewing issues via iOS and the web, with Android capability planned in the next few months. Highlights of the new digital format include the ability to embed video, slideshows, and animation, along with other standard digital issue functions like search, bookmarking and note taking.

Pam Baird, Editor-in-Chief, states, “We started our company over fifteen years ago with a desire to promote the preservation of memories and the creativity of paper crafting, and that continues to be our passion and the mission of our company. We celebrate the talent of our readers as we share ideas to help you create your own scrapbook layouts, cards, mini books, projects, and more. Over the past few years we have noticed a dramatic change in the way consumers are choosing to receive our publications – digital is now the preferred method of the majority of readers. To fulfill our desire to deliver our readers with the best possible content in the best possible way, we have made the decision to discontinue traditional print publishing and focus all of our efforts on providing fresh and exciting digital magazines.”

To celebrate the launch of the all-digital publishing, all digital orders placed from now until July 31 will be entered to win one of ten 1-year Northridge All-Access Passes, giving winners all 6 Northridge Publishing digital magazines every month for one year. One grand prize winner will receive a new iPad, along with a 1-year Northridge All-Access Pass. Orders can be placed on the Northridge website.

66 Responses to Northridge Publishing Shifting To All-Digital Publishing

1. Sue K. July 13, 2013 at 11:06 pm #

I’m sure $$$ didn’t have anything to do with it. Cards was my favorite magazine, but I really don’t enjoy the digital format.

2. Faith Gaspar July 13, 2013 at 11:29 pm #

WOW… I understand the need to keep everything fresh and up to date…. the cost and time to put a magazine to print…. but targeting a certain age group of people that do everything digitally on pads, iphones, etc., is at the cost of all the other age groups. Myself… A good cup of coffee, feet up and a favorite magazine that can be handled over and over again, past down and remember… that’s how I see it…

Faith

• Julie September 2, 2013 at 3:06 pm #

I agree. It would have been nice to get some notice, too. I renewed my subscription a few months ago & was told nothing about going digital only.

3. Sandi July 13, 2013 at 11:38 pm #

I wish it was available on the Kindle, I really don’t care for reading magazines on my laptop.

4. liz a. July 14, 2013 at 1:02 am #

boo! I agree with the others…………I do. not. like. to read on my laptop….having to always look at things in a digital format can be annoying……..and I bet we aren’t the only ones. how sad. not everyone is under 40, not everyone likes a digital format for everything, grrrr! sigh! I better make sure I renew my subscription to “time” magazine…among others!

5. Erika @ Scrapbook Obsession Blog July 14, 2013 at 3:10 am #

I’m sad to see this shift to digital. I won’t be subscribing and predict they won’t last long :( Time will tell …

• Jennifer rogers July 14, 2013 at 3:42 am #

I am with Erika and the above posters. Just because we can indulge our need to be inspired in this wonderful hobby online, doesn’t mean we will subscribe to this particular set of titles. In a world of free online content, I am not anti- payment, however I think Erika is spot on.

6. Susan July 14, 2013 at 4:13 am #

This is disappointing… not a fan of digi magazines. Perhaps if Northridge had focused on better customer service for their print subscribers, they’d have fared better. I gave up on them and, in frustration, refused to renew.

7. Jill Norwood July 14, 2013 at 5:24 am #

I am very sad to see my favorite print publication go completely digital also. Very sad indeed!

8. Ali July 14, 2013 at 6:30 am #

Not such great news…. :( Sad to see this shift….

9. Jean Rood July 14, 2013 at 8:06 am #

I agree totally. …. and I am competent on the computer, but do not wish to do everything glued to some electronic device.

10. Laura July 14, 2013 at 9:03 am #

Ugh!! I too am not a fan of looking at a computer or mobile device to read my magazines. After the total demise of Scrapbooks Etc. I found the Northridge publications and was thrilled with still being able to have an actual magazine. Creating Keepsakes announced with the last issue that it was also going digital with the majority of it’s content only being available online. I am over 40 and really prefer to read print/paper vs. electronically. I feel like all I do is stare at a computer screen any more for everything.

11. Ruth G July 14, 2013 at 10:10 am #

I was disappointed with the last issue of Creating Keepsakes. It felt thin and kept referring to online content. I follow their blog, but I don’t always have access to the internet, so that’s not something that makes me feel good about their publication.

I like the portability and the ability to reference a magazine whenever I want regardless of whether there’s a power source or internet or not. I don’t want to take electronics to the pool or lake and can’t access the internet when I’m at the park or the stable where my daughter rides.

I agree with Laura. My over 40 eyes (46) don’t see screens that well so print publications are great! I felt that Northridge print publications were out of my budget, but after trying the digital versions I don’t think I will be paying for them either. Best of luck to them as they go down this road.

Is this a sign that at my age I shouldn’t be doing any papercrafting?

• Nancy Nally July 14, 2013 at 3:11 pm #

The new Northridge digital platform will be much better than the old one. I’d suggest giving it a try before rejecting it based on your dislike of the old one.

As for your age…I am about the same age as you and adjusting to a huge transition like this is difficult no matter what your age. I’ve been doing it gradually, dipping my toe in the pool over time, and I’ve gradually gotten more comfortable with the idea and have even come to appreciate the benefits of digital, like clickable links, and the ability for more media like photos and even videos to be embedded. But I too was totally anti-digital a few years ago. It takes getting used to.

• Sharon July 17, 2013 at 12:20 am #

I really hate the shift to digital magazines. While I do like to look at the digital versions, I still like to hold a magazine, turn the pages and also scraplift pages from magazines much better than looking at the computer. At crops etc, there is never internet and I like having a magazine I can take with me and look at. Such a shame that all the magazines have gone away.

12. KathyinMN July 14, 2013 at 10:54 am #

I can see why they are switching to all digital, but they need to fix how they do digital first! Currently their way of doing digital is only available in a web browser. It’s not compatible with iOS, aside from a clunky way to view in Safari, a way which makes the print completely unreadable. They need to take a nod from other publishers (The New Yorker comes to mind) or this digital only format will be the choice that closes its door inside of a year. At least with my New Yorker subscription I can download articles. It’s impossible with these publications. So what do you get from their access? From what ive tried, computer browser only, no way to save and no other ways to view. They need to change a ton of things before winning this digital girl back. (And respond to their customers! I emailed them several times about suggestions for digital format, nothing back!).

• Nancy Nally July 14, 2013 at 3:13 pm #

As noted in the article, Northridge is rolling out an entirely new digital platform with this change, that is compatible with iOS and will soon be compatible with Android as well. I hope you’ll like it.

• KathyinMN July 14, 2013 at 4:18 pm #

I’ll believe it when I see it. Their current digital format is terrible. It’s not accessible in iBooks or in the kindle reader or even as a PDF. I need Internet access to even view the content (as others on this thread have stated). I can’t control what prints, since their print button skips the user control dialogue. At least when I buy a paper magazine it’s mine to do what I want with! Their current digital format doesn’t allow the purchaser any control or rights.

And if they know what the changes are, why not tell us? Are they coming out with their own app or will content be imported into iBooks or kindle? If their will be embedded content, how big are these files? Will we have access to our older content in this new format? Will this still be accessible only with Internet access, or will content files be kept locally? I’d prefer its like my NewYorker subscription….the issues I’ve bought are mine to do with as I please and won’t disappear even if my current subscription runs out.

And I feel I’m a heavy digital/ipad user. If they’ve lost me and (from comments here and on other threads they’ve lost more than me) what are their plans to showcase this new format to win everyone back?

And not that you can answer this right now, just keep us posted and informed, as you always do. But feel free to pass along this threads comments if you know peeps at Northridge!

• glenys hewitt September 23, 2013 at 5:51 pm #

I definitely will not be going digital – I have tried just to get the magazines I paid for and never received. Can’t imagine that the digital will go any better. They should have emailed all of their customers giving them a choice of a refund or the digital. Not a way to do business.

13. Tracey July 14, 2013 at 11:04 am #

I’ll chime in and agree. I’ve been disappointed about this switch ever since I started getting the emails about it from Northridge. Scrapbook Trends and Cards were the only 2 print publications I subscribed to, and there was nothing like getting the issues in the mail and being able to carry them with me to read or take them to crops for inspiration.

I use my computer a LOT for scrapping inspiration and content, but I find that I rarely or never go back and peruse online content I have purchased the way I do with a paper magazine. It just doesn’t feel worth it to me to continue to subscribe, even though I truly, truly want these publications to survive.

14. DebraLW July 14, 2013 at 11:50 am #

I’m with all the othe posters. I’m totally disappointed that I no longer have a print magazine to thumb thru, Because most of my reading is done in shorts spurts, I’m not going to take the time to pick up my computer & go thru all the steps to sign on to look at a digital magazine! I also liked to travel with magazines in tow & I don’t have an IPad & I’m not about to try to read a magazine on my phone! Oh well, guess it’ll save me a few dollars!

15. Ann in PA July 14, 2013 at 12:07 pm #

Have to agree with the majority here. Love to have a paper copy of my magazines. I do download Creating Keepsakes and Paper Crafts to my i-pad, but prefer my paper issues. They are cumbersome to “page” through when browsing for ideas. I do like that I can download each issue, and do not need internet access in order to read them. Great for crops and when traveling.
    Is Northridge going to allow a full download of each issue? That was one of the reasons I disliked their digital copies years ago. You could print out what you wanted, but unless you renewed your subscription, you had no access to your purchased issues. Is this still the case? I paid for the issues, so I should have lifetime access to them. Also, no access unless you had/have internet service. (on a plane, many dr’s. offices, etc.)
    I totally agree with KathyinMN, they better change the way they do digital, or they will be gone quickly.

16. Robin C. July 14, 2013 at 12:29 pm #

I am sad to hear this news. It is unfortunate that these magazines can no longer afford to keep printing their magazines and are forced to go digital or die. I prefer print magazines over digital EVERY time! I love my iPad, but for magazines I prefer print.

17. KnitterPam July 14, 2013 at 2:20 pm #

I don’t love reading magazines digitally at all. I like to rip out pages and bring them to my craft table. I’m already at my computer so much, I love to shove these Northridge mags in my purse or knitting bag and go through them on vacation or at the doctor’s office. I will miss them in print.

18. Kay_Tee July 14, 2013 at 2:42 pm #

I have been in desktop publishing for almost 20 years … and I still prefer paper in my hand, once I click off my PC at the end of a work day. When I paint, when I scrap … I am not going to refer to my Kindle or laptop – I am going to look for a mag or a piece of paper. Every magazine that I used to subscribe to – that went digi – I said Good Bye to.

19. Linda H. July 14, 2013 at 2:52 pm #

Well I agree with everyone else. This is very sad. I love my printed magazines and have been a faithful subscriber for many, many years. I don’t like digital for my magazines. I also got the last Creating Keepsakes, and was upset that I had to go my computer to view what I thought should have been in the printed magazine. I don’t have an ipad, or other electronic device to read anything on and hate staring at a computer screen all the time for everything. Guess I won’t be renewing any of my many subscriptions…wish them luck.

20. Elaine Allen July 15, 2013 at 12:01 pm #

This has nothing to do with my age or my eye sight. I use a PC every day and I own an iPad as well. I still prefer paper. It is nice to throw a new magazine issue into my bag and take it along to read when I have a few moments or curl up on my sofa with a cup of tea and read the pages. Likewise if I am working on a project in my studio I can take the magazine with me and not worry about getting different medias on it. After being on a PC all day the last thing I need is another computerized gadget to read my favorite magazines on, not to mention having carpel tunnel.

Elaine Allen

21. Manetta Kanefsky July 15, 2013 at 1:56 pm #

I am very sad. The only magazine that I truly enjoyed and continue to renew was Cards. I just receive invoice to renew beyond Spring 2014. I will be ripping it up now. I do not enjoy reading magazines online. I loved reading my Cards outside sipping my coffee. I will miss my favorite magazine. Too bad they are leaning towards those who do everything online.

22. Vicky July 15, 2013 at 2:10 pm #

Pretty sure that CK will be heading the same way before the end of the year, their last issue was a waste of time in printed format, wish I hadn’t just resubscribed….. I agree that the Northridge digital site has always been clunky and I am still waiting for a reply to my customer service email from about a year ago :( Wish it was easier to print entire copies if I want to as it’s difficult to read an electronic issue on my ipad in the bath which is often the only place I have the time to do so!

23. Laura July 15, 2013 at 8:34 pm #

It is ALL about MONEY! Digital is cheaper than printed, glossy paper mailed to your home. Even with the readers they lose by converting to a completely digital format (will a digital subscription be less expensive than print??), they will make more $$ than printing/mailing actual magazines. The post office takes another hit by this shift too. It is a shame. I’ll repeat what I said above, I prefer to have an actual printed magazine that I can take with me and thumb through wherever I please and not have to worry about dropping and breaking it, losing it or having it stolen. I very rarely refer back to something I’ve seen online but will repeatedly look through a magazine, rip things out, dog ear/bookmark. I’m just tired of being forced to have an electronic device for every single thing we do. I’m computer literate but I don’t want to be connected to it 24/7.

24. Vicky R. July 15, 2013 at 9:40 pm #

I cancelled Creating Keepsakes Mag when they tried to “have their cake and eat it, too.” I then subscribed to Scrapbooking and Beyond and Scrapbooking Magazine (UK.) Prior to jumping in to subscribe to a foreign magazine, I tried to subscribe to Scrapbook Trends in print, only to find that I was one issue, too late.

I agree whole heartedly with Laura, “I’m just tired of being forced to have an electronic device for every single thing we do. I’m computer literate but I don’t want to be connected to it 24/7″ and with the other Vicky “Pretty sure that CK will be heading the same way before the end of the year, their last issue was a waste of time in printed format.”

If Scrapbooking and Beyond and Scrapbook Magazine go digital, I will be glad that I didn’t sell my old paper mags to Half Price Books.

25. Linda Beeson July 16, 2013 at 3:18 pm #

All of the Northridge publications were on the top of my list as the most attractive magazines on the market. I loved the size and the photography and having an issue to thumb through made me very happy. I can only wish they would have still published the actual issues and offered them online for those that like that format. This change makes me very sad!!!! I do not enjoy digital issues at all.

26. gabmcann July 16, 2013 at 8:21 pm #

I’m sad as I have bought a couple of digi issues but just didn’t read them! I like paper !

27. Drea July 18, 2013 at 6:53 am #

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! I love Northridge, it is by far my favorite scrap magazine and I actually got the nerve up to submit to it for the first time this year and got picked to have one of my minis in it, which is great…but now I am so so sad because I was looking forward to that tangible magizine that I could share with my friends and fam,,,and I only buy the physical printed magazines and I don’t want to switch to digital at all! And if Northridge is trying to reach a younger, more tech savvy group, I think it may be surprised because I’m in my twenties, and although I love blogs and online shopping, I never ever look at digital magazines, have never purchased any and the very idea makes my head hurt and my heart ache…give me some paper I can touch and not a screen that makes my eyes hurt to look at after a while and that I can’t look at in the car on a long ride or take to the doctors office or to the beach…this really stinks! Oh and there goes so much of my inspiration for my projects because I wont actually print out pics online and then take them to my scrap room to help with what I’m working on…no, that stuff is like pinterest, you collect and collect on your computer but it never gets used…unlike magazine inspiration which does! And I’m disabled so a clunky computer gets too hard to hold on my lap in bed when my nerve condition is bad and my legs are in a lot of pain…those magazines were perfect for me…I really cannot believe it…I don’t know what to do now…Sad, sad, sad day! Please reconsider, Northridge, I love you so much…{heartbreaking}

• Nancy Nally July 19, 2013 at 12:45 am #

Unfortunately Drea, paper publishing is going away. It’s not just in the scrapbook industry, and it’s not just Northridge. Paper magazines are going the way of the horse and buggy. Anyone still printing them will be out of business in a few years. If publications want to stay alive, they have to convert. This is really not something that companies have a choice about. Their only choice is about when…and if they want to try at all, or just give up and close.

28. Vicky R July 19, 2013 at 8:34 am #

Nancy, before you make such pronouncements, consider the “cashless” society that was predicted by the banking industry in the 1970′s. I was told by the mid-1980′s cash would no longer be used. However, it appeared that plastic was a bigger impact to check-writing, than cash usage which is still around, 40 years later.

• Jennifer rogers July 19, 2013 at 8:50 am #

Good point, Vicky R! I tend to agree with Nancy, unfortunately, about the death of print mags; however, the premature pronouncements of the death of paper scrapping, the prediction that offices would have been completely paperless (made about 10 years ago now?) together with your thought above, give me pause for thought.

I have another “gripe” about digital pubs- unrealistic pricing. I confess I am not sure what Northridge’s model is so my comment is not aimed at them specifically. I object to ebooks’ prices which are seemingly out of whack- we believed the economies of scale & avoidance of printing & distribution costs would bring costs down- Nope.

29. Vicky R July 19, 2013 at 12:37 pm #

Jennifer:

The biggest reason that the magazine wants print to die is that publishers cannot track users with print magazines. I use software that tells me when I am being tracked. Nancy has 8 trackers on her website, Northridge Publishing has 3 and Scrapbook Trends has 4. How many will be embedded into the digital version of the magazine, I will never know, because I will not subscribe. On a digital version of a magazine, the publisher can tell advertisers, how long you are on the page, did you click to the advertiser’s web site, etc? The publisher can get revenue from selling your IP address and other information you used to subscribe to the advertiser, which may increase spam email. Take too much time deciding that you don’t like something and you will not see the end of it.

With digital magazines, the publishers not only make money from your subscription, but any and all information they can gather as you read.

• Jennifer Rogers July 20, 2013 at 4:51 am #

Another excellent point, Vicki R! I had not put this into my thinking.

I tend to be a loyal reader/ visitor of blogs etc. I have no hassles with clicking on affiliate links when I purchase. I am willing to pay for digital content if it is good quality and suits my needs, but digital “publications” are becoming like electric carving knives in the 70′s… seems like everyone has one! Contributing to those (again, not necessarily Northridge) publications/ retailer websites/ messageboards who expect to make money for mediocre content? That leaves a bad taste. I might be due for a cleanout of my reader lists and a change of my time-wasting habits.

30. Deb Herrig July 19, 2013 at 2:47 pm #

Deb H
    I too am very dissatisfied with this change. I had renewed my subscription the end of last summer for 12 issues. I only actually received half of those hard copies. Northridge will not issue refunds or pro-rate amount toward digital issues. So, they took my money for 12 issues, gave me 6 and then want more for the digital version. No way. I’m very disappointed that the publishers of my favorite magazine chose to treat their loyal customers this way.

• Susan July 19, 2013 at 3:35 pm #

Deb ~ I suggest disputing it with your credit card!

31. Jodee July 22, 2013 at 11:25 am #

I might as well chime in here too. Maybe if enough people state their opinions publishers will realize how we really feel! I work on a computer all day. My eyes are tired and burn by the time I go home, my back hurts, and my hands/wrists have had enough!!! Why do I have to go home to relax or craft and have to do it all on the computer?! I don’t want to and I will not. Yes I look online for ideas and information, like Nancy’s site. But, I don’t want that to be my only available information. I don’t want everything in my life to come from a computer, be on a computer, or involve a computer!

May I say though, if we all feel this way about everything going digital, we need to show the companies that we want print issues by supporting them and buying the print issues! So often I read and hear complaints about how the issues are too thin or too full of ads. Well, unless we spend the money to buy their magazines, they can’t afford to make them and publish them.

I do believe anymore that even though computers are great, the internet will be the demise of us as a people. It may take awhile, but eventually…How sad.

32. Drea August 2, 2013 at 8:32 am #

I agree with you Nancy, that a lot of publications are going digital…but I disagree with the idea that anyone still actually printing publications in the next few years will be out of business (I usually agree with a lot of things you say on here Nancy, but this is strangely enough the second thing I have read of yours on here today that I just don’t agree with — the other being the whole Simple Stories scrapbookers not wanting to scrap Halloween thing). Anyways, I think that whoever is still printing their publications in the next few years will be so happy that they stuck with it because I think a lot of the digital publications are sadly not going to have staying power. I think that despite the rumors and predictions that everything is going digital…that is just not the case. People are naturally drawn to physicality and tangibility. I think that is one of the major reasons why there has been this big shift towards vintage in the last few years — collecting vintage items, things being produced that look vintage, people handwriting or using a typewriter instead of a computer, reading actual books instead of e-readers, etc. I think we are all of us looking back to simpler times and all that we are missing out on in this “digital world”. I love my computer and I don’t think it or the internet is going away and I think that some of the digital publications will be successful (hopefully Northridge will be one of them), but I also don’t see my paperback and hardback books going away either and I will always scrapbook with physical product and don’t see that stuff ever going away and switching to all digital. I also think that since scrapbooking is for the most part such a tactile industry, physical scrapbook magazines and books will still be around in the future and Scrap publications would be smart I think to do so (based on their target audience…the comments on here alone speak volumes as to what that audience really wants).

33. Karen August 4, 2013 at 1:49 pm #

I also agree with all the above comments. DO NOT WANT DIGITAL! With all the technology we have, I still turn everything off, coffee in hand, sit in the lazy boy, feet up and me time to enjoy my PAPER copy magazine. I unfortunately took advantage of renewing when the deals were offered and am now stuck with a DIGITAL magazine that I don’t want as no refunds will be issued by Northridge. Did they really think I would be a happy customer to have access to all the other magazines…..NOT. Once my subscription eventually ends I will not be renewing. I have 14 scrapbooking friends that meet every month and subscribe as well. They are not happy scrappers either and will not be renewing. So 15 scrappers are outta here.

34. Michelle August 17, 2013 at 9:59 pm #

I agree with all of the above comments here. In fact I have babe a subscriber of several of their magazines for several years and felt that the rug was pulled out from under me when we had very little warning and no choice. Also I ask the question that if such a high percentage of subscribers are choosing to go digital as their preference, then why are all of these comments against it? Where are the happy comments? Also, why still the high cost when you know their costs to not have to make and ship a paper copy is nill? Lastly, I did not see this comment yet…I own a dental office and I keep on hand several magazines in my reception room. If the prediction is that ALLmagazines are going digital…then what do you offer your patients while waiting to be seated? Am I going to have to have iPads available? This is crazy. And my office is high tech and paperless. But people enjoy magazines in their hands.

• Nancy Nally August 21, 2013 at 9:29 pm #

People who are happy about something like this usually aren’t as motivated to post about it as the upset people, especially because in this case it isn’t a change for the digital people – they were already getting their issues digitally. As for the cost, Northridge was charging $15 per issue for the paper copies…they are now charging about $5 per issue for the digital, so they ARE charging less.

In a few years you won’t need to offer reading materials for your patients…they will all have their own on their mobile devices. What you will need to offer instead (and we are already seeing this in many many places like fast food restaurants) is wifi.

35. Bridget Maida August 18, 2013 at 1:03 am #

I am SO disappointed to discover that Bead Trends is no longer available. Just found this out when I tried to access the most recent issue. Now ALL of the digital issues I had paid for are some how not available for viewing. That sure does suck. And I actually liked the digital version.

• Nancy Nally August 21, 2013 at 9:22 pm #

You can still access the old digital versions in your account but to do so you have to be on the web interface and there is a button that you have to click (sorry, can’t remember where, I found it last week hunting around in my own account) that takes you to the old digital interface so you can view the old issues that weren’t published to be compatible with the new format.

36. Dawn Scheeler August 22, 2013 at 11:40 pm #

Not happy about the digital format…I enjoyed taking my magazine to the pool, in the car, to work to read during lunch….I forget to look at the digital issues and I can not get them on my iPad….I subscribed to 5 or 6 of their magazines….so I won’t be renewing any of them….

37. Bonnie MacGillivray August 27, 2013 at 2:30 pm #

I too am very unhappy to see the shift to digital. I love paper and like others take them on trips and even just to sit on the deck with a coffee and my favorite magazine. I have subscribed for several years and have on full shelf of Northridge magazines. I will not be subscribing to digital. I hate reading magazines online.

38. Jenny September 6, 2013 at 5:15 pm #

Have you been able to contact Northridge? They are billing me and I already had an unfinished subscription to Cards and Cricut!~

39. Scrappy Lady Studios October 30, 2013 at 6:22 pm #

how do we download a copy? i will cancel my subscription if i cant even download a copy!

40. Becky Bernard January 16, 2014 at 8:25 pm #

You have lost a reader here, and I posted a bad review on FB. I don’t like digital magazines. You can’t take them with you to a crop and not enough memory to download them. The cost of ink is ridiculous to consider printing. This is the 3rd scrapbook mag lost to me now.

41. Terri Howe March 12, 2014 at 5:31 pm #

Hoe do you even get a hold of them to cancel your subscription? I have been trying for 3 months!! Not a fan of the digital magazines – sadly they have lost me.

42. Katharine Hughes April 16, 2014 at 10:41 am #

I too, cannot contact Northridge Publishing to cancel my subscription. I believe I have eight $9.99 charges on my credit card, just to access old issues. I can’t get in touch with them to ask what benefits I’m getting for the $9.99 and how do I stop them. I was never informed about the change to digital. I am taking this to the Better Business Bureau as it appears to me that Northridge Publishing is a very crooked dishonest company.

• Nancy Nally April 16, 2014 at 1:25 pm #

With the $9.99 you should be able to read all of the new issues every month. Are you logging into the “new’ interface that those issues are being published to? Northridge has two digital interfaces – one only has on it the issues from before it went all-digital, the other has the issues on it from the time they went all-digital forward. Your $9.99/month gets you access to both.

• Katharine Hughes April 16, 2014 at 3:44 pm #

Thanks for the response, I really appreciate it. I just filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau of Utah. I won a $200.00 complaint a few years ago with another company that just kept taking things off my Credit Card without giving me access to what I thought I was paying them for. Cross your fingers and if you want to know what I wrote on my complaint I will be happy to share it with you. I was able to read the many complaints that were filed with the BBB, I think you can go to there website and read them too. That company is a very DISHONEST MISLEADING company and they should be reported!!!!!
        Kay

• Nancy Nally April 16, 2014 at 3:51 pm #

I’m sorry you are having a bad experience with Northridge. I work for them on a freelance basis and have the greatest respect for the organization and the people that I work with at it.

• Katharine Hughes April 16, 2014 at 3:53 pm #

How do you get in touch with them?????

• Susan April 16, 2014 at 4:03 pm #

Katharine ~ I too have had awful experiences with Northridge! They’re deceitful and do not reply to their customers. I will never again subscribe to anything they offer! In addition to your BBB filing, I suggest contacting your credit card to dispute the charges and request that they contact Northridge on your behalf.

• Katharine Hughes April 16, 2014 at 4:52 pm #

Thank you so much for your reply, thank goodness I have a great CCart, I contacted them and they cooperated fully, asked me if I had tried the 800# contact number that appears on my CCard bill, I told them that I had done that 7 or 8 times and got a canned message that no one is available to take my call…what kind of business message is that!!!!!

• Katharine Hughes April 16, 2014 at 3:52 pm #

I have no knowledge of any interface and as far as I can tell there is nothing on their website about the interface. I cannot contact the company for instructions. Also, the website leads you to believe that you have to [purchase new digital issues for $5.99!!!! I called the 800# (801-225-9988) that they have on their website. I get a phone message that there is no one available to take your call. I also used the Customer Support e-mail address numerous times and I get a system generated message that they received my e-mail. Something VERY strange is going on and I would like to get to the bottom of my issue with them.
        Kay

• Nancy Nally April 16, 2014 at 4:01 pm #

I’m going to try to walk you through where you should be able to see your digital content on the Northridge site.

At the NorthridgePublishing.com home page, there is a tab called “My Magazines”. When you click or hover on it, you get several options that drop down. One says something about “New Digital Issues” and there’s another one called “Legacy Digital Issues”. The “New Digital Issues” one will get you all of the issues from the date that they went all-digital. The “Legacy” one will get you all of the digital issues from before that date.

Select which one you want to see and then log in. After you log in it will display your subscription info. Then you will have to go back to that menu and select again which option you want. This time, since you are already logged in, it will display thumbnails of the magazine issues. Click on an issue and it will open.

• Katharine Hughes April 16, 2014 at 4:47 pm #

I have tried all that…..even tried to get technical support buy clicking on the right hand corner of the Customer Service screen but a bubble as promised does not come up…
            I get the Legacy issues fine, everything before August 2013.

Here’s what I get when I go to New Digital Issues…

You don’t have any issues yet! Shop Issues

If I click on Shop Issues it beings up all the new issues but it looks like you have to purchase them for $5.99 each. I don’t want to click on any of the issues because I’m afraid another charge will go on my credit card.
            Do you think I should be clicking on the issues that say $5.99?
            I really appreciate your assistance but I believe I should be talking to someone from Northridge Publishing. As you can tell, I’m very upset with them and cannot understand why no one is answering the phone or replying to my e-mails or giving me any technical support, I believe I’m paying for some service….

• Katharine Hughes April 16, 2014 at 4:58 pm #

Okay, I clicked on one of the $5.99 issues and a scene came up that says, click here ADD TO MY CART. I do not want to ad anything to my cart…..

43. julilarson July 24, 2014 at 7:28 pm #

I have been subscribed to the all-access for a few months. This month I have not been able to access all of my magazines. I tried emailing them and I received a ‘canned’ response telling me to log out and to log back in. I tried calling the phone number on their website and it says the number is disconnected. I researched them on the BBB website and it shows they have an ‘F’ rating. Is anyone else considering dropping their subscription?