Trends | How Project Life Has Changed The Scrapbook Industry

A lot has been said about how Project Life’s massive and rapid popularity the past few years has changed the consumer side of scrapbooking. But how has it changed the scrapbook industry from a business perspective? As we come upon another Craft & Hobby Association trade show in a few weeks, with all of the new product releases, it seems a good time to examine the fundamental shifts this seminal product line has brought to papercrafting as a business.

Everything Has Gotten Smaller

This trend started with the re-emergence of cards as a market force, but was accelerated and brought into non-card products by Project Life’s explosive popularity. Design elements such as embellishments are decreasing in size. It’s all about scale. The shrinking size of elements is to better accommodate the smaller canvas size of Project Life, where the largest basic area to work with is 4×6.

Not only are items getting smaller, but designs are too. Patterned paper designs are being scaled smaller, and more and more papercrafters are buying 6×6 paper pads instead of full-size paper to get both the smaller scale of the prints and also because that size is sufficient for doing cards and Project Life.

From a business perspective, this has meant a couple of things. Package sizes can be smaller when items are smaller – a 4×6 sized stamp set package is now sufficient to hold a selection of designs for a theme, whereas 8×10 or even larger used to be used routinely. It also means a package typically has more items in it – a larger quantity of small chipboard pieces instead of a smaller quantity of large ones, for instance. This reduces costs in many areas (like packaging and shipping), but increases them in others (such as design and machine set-up costs).

The substitution of 6×6 paper pads for 12×12 paper purchases can be either a win or a loss for companies. If the consumer is a “cherry picker” who tends to only buy a sheet or two of a collection, they may end up investing more in the company’s product by buying the paper pad and then being motivated to purchase coordinating embellishments since they have the whole selection of paper to work with. If the consumer was a “collection” buyer, purchasing 12×12 collection pack, the 6×6 pad is a much cheaper price point being substituted – a financial loss for the company.

Everything Has Gotten Flatter

Another trend that started with cards (due to the limitations of envelopes) but was greatly accelerated by the use of pocket pages in Project Life, is the flattening of page elements. Traditional layouts had gotten very dimensional with the vintage trend in particular, using metal elements and things like epoxy flowers. Now everything is flat, to fit in pockets and envelopes. Now we’ve transitioned to a lot of relatively flat die cut elements made from a variety of materials like chipboard and wood, stickers, brads and of course journal cards.

The downside of this from a marketing standpoint is that it is harder to create a “must have” item that stands out from the crowd when a consumer is looking at a sea of flat items.

Another side effect of the allure of “flat” to the consumer has been the explosive growth of die cutting, particularly machines like the Silhouette, which has a large library of journal card cutting files designed specifically for use in pocket pages. To get their foot in this market, savvy manufacturers are thinking outside the realm of physical products and designing digital cut files to accompany their physical collections.

Collections Must Have Journal Cards

Since the rising popularity of Project Life, it has become almost routine for companies to include 3×4 and 4×6  “journal cards” in some form in their scrapbook collections. Sometimes this is done by using the “B” side of a patterned paper. Other times it is done by packaging die cut elements (usually only 3×4 designs) and marketing them as part of the collection’s embellishments.

This is basically a “if you can’t beat them, join them” tactic by companies who realize that their customers are being drawn into the pocket scrapbooking concept and want to go along for the ride to preserve their relationship with the customer.

Color Palettes Are Standardized

With Project Life so dominating the industry, consumers are committing to the color palettes of its collections for their albums. They are purchasing Project Life core kits, and then going in search of “add ons” from other companies that coordinate with and expand on their chosen kit or kits.

The challenge this poses for other companies is in trying to keep their color palettes in line with the Project Life-led trends. In the past, companies would look to guidance from sources like Pantone reports and home decor and fashion to set their color palettes for a product release, and the industry would be dominated by a few trendy colors from those sources. Now Project Life is shaking all of that up. Like all products, Project Life color palettes are kept secret until right before the trade show so companies have to try to guess what direction they will go for their concurrent releases. I predict that we will start to see a cycle where we see Project Life releasing product at the trade shows, and then other companies announcing “mid release” product lines that follow those palettes.

Vintage is Dead; Long Live Graphic!

Vintage has dominated the scrapbook industry for several years, but now we are seeing an explosion of graphic style product. This is happening for several reasons. There is a normal fashion cycle at work, but it has been greatly accelerated by other factors. Consumers have fallen in love with Project Life’s signature graphic style and are adopting it for all of their papercrafting. Consumers are also buying products that coordinate with their kits to extend their Project Life kits, so of course they are looking for products that are a similar style.

The bottom line of all of this is that companies whose signature style is vintage style products are now shut out of a huge segment of the market, where they owned it a few years ago.

It’s rare that a product line is so revolutionary that it becomes evolutionary and changes the face of an industry. Project Life, while not the first product of its kind, caught the public’s imagination in a way that has given it incredible market power.

Pretty Darn Cute - Modern WordPress Themes for the Feminine Blogger

49 Responses to Trends | How Project Life Has Changed The Scrapbook Industry

1. scrapper al July 9, 2013 at 10:34 pm #

Great article! I’m hoping for more small letter stickers too.

• Elaine July 10, 2013 at 12:11 pm #

Have you checked out Hot Off the Press?? They have small letter Dazzles??

• scrapper al July 15, 2013 at 4:14 pm #

Thanks for the recommendation!

2. Sue K. July 10, 2013 at 12:15 am #

My old, simple Creative Memories pages are back in style!

3. Erika @ Scrapbook Obsession Blog July 10, 2013 at 1:02 am #

Very interesting dissection of the trend, Nancy. I feel like this is one reason that Simple Stories has been so successful. They were in the pocket page game very early on and, like you say, have provided graphic, colorful, modern designs. As a pocket page scrapper myself, I’m loving this trend from ALL the companies!

4. deb July 10, 2013 at 2:59 am #

great article Nancy…as always love you insight and you nailed my feelings on the head in several areas. Really liking the re-vamping.
    deb

5. Susan July 10, 2013 at 6:41 am #

Great article. Project Life has been a game changer for the industry and thanks for helping us see the effects it has had on different parts. I wonder if traditional scrapbookers get frustrated with smaller scale and “flat” embellishments.

• Jennifer July 10, 2013 at 8:52 am #

As a traditional scrapper, for me PL and everything flat can be a bit difficult. I don’t mind flat things, fits into my plastic sleeves better in my albums, but some depth is good! I’ve never done PL, it just doesn’t appeal to me. I’ve used 6×6 pads in the past for extra embellishments, used for journal cards, made banners/pennants, photo mats, etc., so using smaller isn’t something completely new for me.

6. Ali July 10, 2013 at 7:33 am #

Enjoyed the article, Nancy. :) I particularly loved your well-thought out and worded closing idea: “It’s rare that a product line is so revolutionary that it becomes evolutionary and changes the face of an industry.” LOVE your articles, keep up the excellent writing!

7. Kay Tee July 10, 2013 at 8:10 am #

I came to scrapbooking late” … never really liked the Project Life format … but then the 12×12 pages never appealed to me either. I am a card maker – and I love the 6×6 and 8×8 pages … so maybe the Project Life format would appeal to me…I don’t know. From what I have seen, I just don’t like the format – but the good thing is that it leaves room for more people to have more choices….and that’s always a plus in my book.

8. Laina July 10, 2013 at 8:34 am #

You should note that 6×6 paper pads are extremely expensive to produce, even overseas. Most manufacturers break even or make very little return. Only the very large companies with large buying power can afford to produce small paper pads.

• scrapper al July 15, 2013 at 4:14 pm #

Interesting! I had no idea the smaller pads were more expensive to produce. Is that because of their size (additional trimming required)? Low production volume?

9. Cindy July 10, 2013 at 8:42 am #

Very insightful article! Love the dissection you made of how the market is evolving. Very interesting!

10. Dottie J July 10, 2013 at 8:56 am #

Actually I am glad to see the trends away from vintage and toward a cleaner, more graphic style. I’ve never liked lumpy pages or pages so filled with stuff that the photos (and the story) get lost in the product. My eye is drawn to clean and simple and my pages usually have lots of photos, so having smaller prints and simpler embellishments is a welcome change. I have tried the pocket thing, however, and really don’t like it. I find it very limiting instead of freeing (from a design standpoint) and the pages feel very cluttered and random to me without any cohesion of design. Yes, it all matches but it take more than matching colors to give the whole page a visual unity. I have also found that I am actually faster without the pockets which present more decisions to make and more design problems to resolve. And it is much harder to have the right-sized photos without tons of pre-planning.

• Gina July 10, 2013 at 10:20 am #

Dottie said, “I’ve never liked lumpy pages or pages so filled with stuff that the photos (and the story) get lost in the product. My eye is drawn to clean and simple and my pages usually have lots of photos, so having smaller prints and simpler embellishments is a welcome change” I so agree with this!

I learned to scrapbook from Creative Memories and have always followed the idea that the pictures and the stories are what are important. That’s one of the reasons the divided pocket page method appeals to me. Whether it is WRMK, PL or Simple Stories. It makes it a lot easier for me to record our family memories. I do wish companies wouldn’t tie themselves to PL color schemes, though. I’d like to see other options there.

11. Sue W July 10, 2013 at 9:35 am #

I’m in the dark, what is Project Life?

• Nancy Nally July 10, 2013 at 10:33 am #

It’s a system by Becky Higgins, which is now distributed by American Crafts, that consists of using page protectors with 3×4 and 4×6 pockets and pre-designed card sets that go with them. Go to http://www.beckyhiggins.com to learn all about it!

12. Cindy deRosier July 10, 2013 at 9:44 am #

I don’t do PL, but I’m happy about all the changes it has brought. For years, I’ve been struggling to find smaller patterns, flatter objects, and journaling cards to accommodate my scrapbook style and now they are everywhere!

13. Susanne July 10, 2013 at 9:49 am #

Great article Nancy, and I agree with you that it is part of a cycle. Soon, we will all tire of filling in the little pockets and will go back to big and beautiful instead of small and graphic. And vintage will never be dead, in fact, you also make me want to take up the challenge to do a small PL type album with nothing but old photos and vintage products. I can use the PL concept without the PL design – wouldn’t that be fun.

14. Melissa J July 10, 2013 at 10:43 am #

I must be in the minority…I’ve never done Project Life, and it doesn’t really appeal to me. The pocket-page idea is okay – I’ve used it when I’ve got a ton of pictures from one event, and don’t want to leave any out. I’ll make a 2 or 4 page spread of the best pictures, and use the pocket pages for the rest. But we don’t take enough pictures to make Project Life viable. (Maybe it’s because we don’t have kids). AND I’ve never figured out what I’d do if the pictures I have are not the right orientation for the pocket pages. What if the ones I want to use are all vertical, and the pockets are horizontal (or vice versa?) So it’s not something that’s ever really appealed to me. I still like my 12×12 pages. But I can see the pocket page/PL idea being a good way for someone to be introduced to scrapping, and not feel quite so overwhelmed.

15. Kathy D. July 10, 2013 at 1:06 pm #

Project Life is not my cup of tea, but my hat is off to Becky Higgins for developing a product line and a marketing strategy that has made her a bundle of money. Dropping cards and photos in pockets just doesn’t do it for me. I’m an unapologetic diehard paper scrapper who finds unabashed joy in the pure art form of creating a 12×12 page, “bumps” and all!

16. wendy kerth July 10, 2013 at 2:19 pm #

Since the bankruptcy of CM, i have switched to project life
    I fully intend to do 12×12 interspersed in between my pocket pages but i shop differently now. I totally relate to this article and am looking forward to what is coming.

17. Blayne White July 10, 2013 at 4:16 pm #

As always, a very insightful article. I, too, am amazed at the onslaught of Project Life products and how it is sweeping the industry. I am a little dismayed that it seems EVERY manufacturer is jumping on the bandwagon and targeting the PL user. I like to see more variety and options.
    I have purchased some PL products, as well as digital PL items to incorporate into my 12×12 books, but I think I will keep my books more free-form for now. I like mixing and matching.
    I can’t wait to see what summer CHA is bringing. I hope to see you there!

18. Brenda B July 10, 2013 at 4:32 pm #

Like others have said, I’m not a “Project Lifer”, preferring the 12×12 format for my pages. That said, I do buy some of the PL products to use on my pages, as I like the journaling cards and reverse patterned sides, too. I’ve never been a fan of papers printed with really large designs, so I like the trend to smaller scale prints and smaller embellishments. I just hope the industry doesn’t go so far toward Project Life that the traditional scrapbooker is ignored.

19. Stephanie Hackney July 10, 2013 at 5:07 pm #

Nice article, Nancy.

I agree that it has changed the industry.

What I like most about it is that it has made it easier for newbies to get started, and for those who have felt overwhelmed and/or not capable of the more “artsy” pages, it provides a simple solution to getting memories documented. And, for many of us, it has encouraged us to take a look at our everyday lives and to document the everyday activities, not just holidays, vacations and special events.

Like most trends that enter this industry, I expect this will be hugely popular for a specific period of time and then other new trends will enter the market – and those may or may not entice the industry manufacturers to take note and to create products to accommodate the new trend. But I agree, PL’s popularity has made almost all companies take note, and has enticed many to create an offering that’s well suited to the PL offering. Becky deserves credit for coming up with something that has been so popular and not just accepted, but truly desired.

I love the PL concept and plan to start my own album on my next birthday.

Steph

20. Barb aka mormor9 July 10, 2013 at 5:38 pm #

This is a great article, Nancy, but I have no desire to scrap along the lines of Project Life or Simple Stories. I guess starting to scrapbook a few years ago puts me at the end of the “bumpy” cycle. Not all of my pages are loaded with lumps, but I love Dimensional Scrapbooking. My first scrap class was at Big Picture and taught by Nic Howard, if that gives you a hint of what I admire. I am truly glad that there are no scrapbooking police and in my old age I do not care if I am not in style with those who think they are. I must say it does not matter to me if a page is clean and simple or lumpy and bumpy. If it is well balanced and pleasing to the eye with a focus on the photos and story, I am going to like it.

21. Amanda S July 10, 2013 at 6:03 pm #

Interesting perspective. I’m not sure that I completely agree with you about PL being the cause for the increase of 6×6 paper pads. I myself have been buying mostly 6×6 for the last 18 months. I have two reasons for doing this: First, I can get an entire collection within my budget that way. Secondly, I feel much more free to cut them up and use them on cards and pages than I ever felt with the full sheets of 12×12. I always felt wasteful to not use a 12×12 in it’s entirety. I don’t have the guilt I used to have about cutting a piece of paper that cost $1 or more.

That being said, I have changed the way I scrap from almost exclusively patterned paper backgrounds to almost exclusively white backgrounds. That allows me to use the 6×6 papers in SO many more ways than I have ever felt I could before. Additionally, the scale of them is usually much more conducive to die cutting.

But the thing is, it seems to that I’m not the only one doing this. I’ve noticed a lot of my scrapping friends transitioning to this way of creating, both for LOs and cards.

22. Pamela McGillin July 10, 2013 at 10:04 pm #

Don’t forget MAMBI’s Pocket Pages & Pocket Pages themed cards. I especially love the page with three 4×6″ & six 3×4″ pockets.

• Sue W July 11, 2013 at 10:21 am #

What’s MAMBI?

• Ann in PA July 11, 2013 at 1:51 pm #

Me and My Big Ideas

23. Zina Yarbrough July 11, 2013 at 1:44 am #

That is a very good and I do believe spot on article.

24. Stacey July 11, 2013 at 9:53 am #

I don’t think you are in the minority at all. I am much the same way. Also, I know very few scrappers that do PL type scrapping and we’ve all expressed frustration that it’s harder to find things that are not geared towards PL scrapping.

25. Beverly Gardner July 11, 2013 at 10:48 am #

I vote for more 8×8 paper packs!

26. Teresa Smith July 11, 2013 at 3:21 pm #

I don’t understand the sudden expolsion with PL; it seems every company is jumping on that bandwagon, but I guess that is where the biggest profit/trend is at the moment. It’s been around for for several years and started out as getting back to basics… everything you needed came in one box. Simple. Now you have to buy separate components, there are a lot of different styles of page protectors, multiple design choices, and major price increase. I tried it year before last and didn’t stick with it, it was too much pressure to stay caught up and if you didn’t work on it every week, it was easy to fall behind. It became a chore for me versus a hobby. I loved the components and will still use them my traditional scrapbooks.

Flat is good for me, I’ve never liked bulky pages or layouts where the photos and stories became lost in the zealous use of embellishments.

I am also not a trend scrapbooker, I buy what I like and don’t care if it sits around for a year before I get to it. After all, will that matter 20 + years from now that you scrapbooked 2013 using PL? I certainly hope not.

27. ~Bev~ July 11, 2013 at 5:53 pm #

I’m starting to use the pocket page style, as it gives me more options. I’m a senior citizen and have become overwhelmed with nearly 50 yrs. of our family pics, and now my parent’s pics and my in-laws pics. I’m not giving up traditional scrapbooking, but I know I’d need several lifetimes to scrap all my pics. I can at least put them in pocket pages with some journaling and embellies for future generations and will continue to scrap my favorites! I love that other companies are jumping on the bandwagon, but still want the product to traditionally scrap, as well. ~Bev~

28. mel July 11, 2013 at 6:01 pm #

Personally I think PL is helping to revive a dying industry.
    I actually stopped scrapbooking altogether in 2008 because everything was so over-the-top and impractical. I was thrilled to see PL and it’s simplicity, and it’s what got me back into memory keeping at all.
    For my generation and circle of friends (under 30) the clean graphic look is appealing and fits the stories we tell. Loads of Prima flowers don’t suit a layout of my boyfriend and I going to a sushi restaurant.
    Eventually when I have kids, the PL system will help me keep on top of documenting their life. It’s the memories, not the embellishments that count.
    With that said, the only official Project Life supplies I’ve bought are the pocket page protectors, I make my own kits.

29. OMKaye July 11, 2013 at 8:39 pm #

Thanks so much for this article :-) I’m a brand new scrapper (I went into the Archivers store in Memphis just before it closed, fell in love, and had a field day), and I had NO clue what Project Life was. Now that I know, I can’t say that I love it. What drew me to scrapping IS those lumpy pages, that homemade feel, that “this moment is lovingly-remembered” feel. I’m not saying that PL is bad, but it just doesn’t trigger that for me. At any rate, I’m really glad I found this site for info and tips. With the Archivers in Memphis closing, I have NO clue where to buy supplies anymore, and I’m sure I’ll get some tips around here!

30. Gia Lau July 12, 2013 at 2:40 am #

Very interesting article. It is certainly food for thought. I think it is funny that the brand “Project Life” stuck as a name just like Kleenex and Scotch tape (lol) when really I believe CM had their line of pocket pages earlier and SImple Stories designs have included elements intended to be cut and put in pockets (at the time they were working with WeRMK but now released their own) from the day they opened their doors. Simple Stories used the term “Life Documented” and started with the idea of documenting life as you live it as well as keeping it simple with products taking a back seat to really nice paper, photos, and journaling. I would not say that vintage is dead, however. I think that niches are being created. Look at Graphic 45, Glitz, Teresa Collins, even My Minds Eye and Authentique still have their markets, in my opinion. I have seen certain elements of vintage being removed from the context and used along with graphic patterns in some cases-October Afternoon, Pink Paislee, Heidi Swapp, Rhonna Farrar (for My Minds Eye) even Crate Paper (Maggie Holmes) Wow…I think some of the most popular releases from Winter CHA were as much vintage as graphic. I am not an “industry” insider- just my observations. All in all- great job putting this out. The scale/size issue is one I didn’t think of so TFS.

31. gabmcann July 12, 2013 at 8:07 am #

Great article, thanks Nancy

32. Vicki July 12, 2013 at 11:52 am #

I am still amazed at the PL craze. I jumped on the bandwagon 2 years ago and choose not to do it again this year and BOOM it seems like everywhere you turn this year its being pushed at you.
    I for one am ready for a new craze!

33. Addie July 12, 2013 at 2:20 pm #

Thanks for a very perceptive article, Nancy. My issue with PL’s extraordinary influence is tied to a larger problem I have with decorative trends that reflect adulation of corporate culture. Trendy apartments and homes look like warehouses; our kitchens look industrial. And PL has that corporate annual report look. I really don’t like the uniformity, conformity and restrictiveness of the PL style. The look of subdued confinement in those compartmentalized pages makes the active children in the photos look imprisoned. The style tends to diminish originality. Although I know some people get very creative with it, PL sets external limits on how we can visualize a page, and emphasizes what we have in common over our individuality. This approach is extremely helpful in building community (and in low cost manufacturing), but I think it can limit individuality. I’m not sure how best to express it, but it makes me feel more like a corporate market segment than a crafter.

• Cynthia July 18, 2013 at 1:06 am #

Wow, this is really interesting. I never thought of this before, but I definitely see your point. What comes to mind are ‘box’ metaphors, like boxing someone in or thinking inside the box. Maybe that will be the reactionary evolution to Project Life? That the trend-setting design will be the ones that break outside the box? (Maybe literally by modifying the boxes of PL page protectors?)

34. Sharon Weinreb July 13, 2013 at 4:01 pm #

Informative article and very interesting comments. Guess a lot of people were unaware that Creative Memories has had Picfolio’s for such a long time. (What I call the “slip & slide” segment of scrapbooking.) The project life concept is the same as the Picfolio, The difference — Creative Memories Picfolio albums are superior quality. The project life albums are oversized 3 ring binders, not well made and the quality of the pages and cards are totally lacking. Guess it’s true, you get what you pay for. But in this instance by all the time you buy the project life components you could have had a beautiful album worthy of displaying.

35. pearlmaple July 14, 2013 at 1:00 am #

Great article, papercrafting continues to evolve in different ways and means different things to different people, in the end we all enjoy having fun and recording memories and that is the important part.

36. Sandy peplinski July 15, 2013 at 1:56 am #

When I opened my store in 2001 I presented the project life style of scrap booking to those who resisted getting into another hobby and those who agonized over years of photos. Glad to see industry catching on to what others have been doing. Those who have been scrap booking already have many supplies at their disposal

37. Vianna July 20, 2013 at 8:23 am #

I’ve always been about smaller scale everything (arthritic hands make it hard for my mother to handle 12×12 albums & I’ve been making my own 6×6 mini albums since 2004. I’m still of the opinion that 9×9 is THE best all-around size for scrapbooks as it easily accommodates three 4×6 photos per page – but there are few to none albums in this size to purchase, and they’re not economic to make at home when standard paper size is mostly 12×12. Additionally, I’ve preferred flatter layouts (and cards) for the obvious reasons: more pages in each album, and ease of mailing. I ad dimension thru some digital scrapbooking by making 4×6 ‘layouts’ which I then scrap conventionally in my 6×6 albums. I also like the new-found popularity of 3-ring binder albums, as I dont scrap chronologically and this makes it easier to move the layouts around. They’re also sturdier. There is a very good reason for the success of Project Life: it’s a comprehensive journal/diary/scrapbook/memento repository medium – which in my opinions was, from the beginning, the intention of this hobby: to preserve information, pictures and ephemera for future generations. The ability to scrap once a week, in a less complicated manner, has definitely brought more people on board. Not everyone is comfortable (stylistically or financially) with what the design team members create and display on their blogs. I’m good with this direction ♥

38. Tracey B July 27, 2013 at 5:24 am #

I resisted the PL style for quite a while, but have not started and loving being able to use up all my supplies. I was a card maker in the beginning, so this is perhaps why I like the smaller sections. I always seemed to struggle with the 12×12 size – always enjoying and making more mini ablums, so PL suits me fine – I personally love all the companies doing some smaller embellishments. I too love the 6×6 paper pads, but I like them for cards as well as PL pages.
    Love your articles – keep up the good work and …. thank you

• Nancy Nally July 30, 2013 at 3:35 pm #

Thanks Tracey!

You really did hit the nail on the head too about the 12×12 page being kind of overwhelming. I love to play with techniques and design but find the full page to be intimidating still sometimes even after 15 years of papercrafting. Cards and Project Life let me play with the things I love to use – color, pattern, ink, stamps, die cutting, all those things – without getting overwhelmed.

39. michii September 3, 2013 at 1:29 pm #

Thanks for this article! Great read ^_^

Just like mel, I stopped scrapbooking completely for years. I was terrible at the 12×12 layouts because there was too much space to fill and I just didn’t ever have enough creative juices to make more than a handful of unique layouts and designs. Hats off to those that could do it and do it well! I’m also a more small detailed type of person with any project/craft. PL gives me small little canvases to create my little masterpieces! It definitely brought scrapbooking back into my life and I was able to create fun pages full of great memories and meaning without feeling so pressured to fill in so much space. And I was able to introduce non-scrapbooking friends to a hobby where they could easily document their activities/events/travels with a system that didn’t appear as daunting as traditional scrapbooking. Even my nieces (10 & 13) have smashbooks which all use smaller embellishments! Also, I use Instagram regularly and the photos are small squares which fit nicely in small layouts. Everyone has their preferences and PL method and design suits my style really well.