Using Maps On Your Scrapbook Pages

I love maps. I love to look at maps. I love to decorate with maps. Physical maps, topographical maps, road maps, satellite maps – I love them all.

I don’t know what the allure is, but if there is a map or a globe in the room, I have to walk over and investigate. I like to see to see the spatial distance between two places, how far they are from each other, judging how to get from point A to point B and perhaps the most fun of all, pointing to a place I have never been and imagining visiting.

So I’m sure it won’t be a shock that I also like to include maps on my scrapbook pages!

I have scrapbooked maps I have saved from trips, like I did on this London Page.

London

And I’ve also used theme park maps on my pages.

lego map

But somehow, I’ve never made a map the focal point of a scrapbook page before.  That sounds like a challenge in the making!

And ever one to rise to a scrapbooking challenge, I searched through my stash to see if I already had something that would work.  Luckily, I came across this gem:

Traveler map from LYB

I have other map papers in my stash, but this one by Little Yellow Bicycle has to be my all time favorite.

It will be perfect for the story I want to tell in my layout. This May I will reach the 20th anniversary from the day my parents and I left Washington state for Florida. Twenty years in Washington. Twenty years in Florida. That milestone required a little bit of reflection.

Because Washington and Florida are about as far from each other as you can get in the United States, I really wanted to see the spatial difference between both places. I also added in my detour in Nashville as the five years I spent there are also part of my overall story. I have realized that no matter where I live, my roots remain in the northwest and I wouldn’t be who I am today if I hadn’t grown up there.

map-layout

Supplies: Little Yellow Bicycle Road Map, Studio Calico wood veneer and chipboard cameras, My Mind’s Eye enamel dots, Freckled Fawn orange star washi tape, Versa Magic Night Sky chalk ink, Basic Grey Hey Boy flair, My Mind’s eye date stamp, Lily Bee alphabet stickers.

I used wood veneer arrows to point to Orlando and Nashville and a heart to signify my love for Spokane and the northwest. Along with Google Maps, I used my photo editing program to copy and paste, then print an actual map inset photo that includes the area of town where I live/lived. Then, I went through my photo folders to find photos of me in each location along with a few meaningful words that each location represents.

Once the elements and photos were laid out, I decided to go with a “Z” flow for my page, meaning that the eye will start in the upper left, move to the right, down through the title and journaling and end in the lower right corner. Three enamel dots in the upper left and bottom right corner help reinforce the flow of the page.

This is a very special page,  but not one I ever would have created if not for the idea of challenging myself to use a map. Have you ever tried to incorporate maps on your pages?

14 Responses to Using Maps On Your Scrapbook Pages

1. Ruth G April 22, 2013 at 6:15 pm #

I’m a map lover, too, and have a page planned with a map of the western half of the US to document our trip from Jackson, WY to SLC, Utah. I just found the perfect paper the other day, but knew I wanted a map for this LO and use maps frequently if not on the page, tucked into the back of albums as a point of reference because they need to be in sight! Thanks for sharing your LO! Such a great occasion to record!

2. LindaBabe April 23, 2013 at 5:48 am #

Map lover here too . I frequently use maps in my scrapbooking. I have a copy of that same paper, still unused because I hated to cover any of it with pictures. Thank you for showing such a clever use of it!

3. Lisa Swift April 23, 2013 at 7:35 am #

You really rocked that map paper, Tammy! It would have stumped me completely. :)

4. mary pat April 23, 2013 at 7:39 am #

tammy this is totally awesome! i am totally going to use your idea of including the map of amusement parks- i love that idea!! and your map layout totally rocks

5. Jill Norwood April 23, 2013 at 8:32 am #

Your page is wonderful! Maps are so fun! I live in Seattle and have family in Spokane so I can totally understand and identify with your heart being in the Pacific Northwest – it is beautiful here!

6. Tammy Davis April 23, 2013 at 8:44 am #

This is a wonderful layout! I also love map paper and embellishments – even though I don’t travel a lot. Thanks so much for this inspiration!

7. Danielle de Konink April 23, 2013 at 8:57 am #

I LOVE maps but find it hard to use them in scrapping. Thanks for this post, it will definitely help me to use maps too!

8. Kristin April 23, 2013 at 9:49 am #

I love this! What a great layout!

9. Joanne April 23, 2013 at 10:11 am #

I am with you there I love maps but I think I may only collect rather than use them, will try to change that following your inspiration

10. Cindy deRosier April 23, 2013 at 11:13 am #

Totally awesome layout! Love it!

11. Jeri B. April 23, 2013 at 11:15 am #

What a great layout. It shows how much you like to scrapbook.

12. Melanie H April 23, 2013 at 6:09 pm #

I love this layout. Your story told with the map was fantastic. I have scrapped with Maps before. I love them on my LO’s. I have scrapped with them wherever I travel and have used the Disneyland and Disney’s Calif Adventure maps on my pages when I visit those parks. Maps are so much fun. I love your layout. Great job. I sentiment someone else’s post. It ROCKS!!! This article was a great inspiration. Thanks for sharing and posting!

13. Crystal April 23, 2013 at 9:24 pm #

Wow your layout is so cool. I love the way you used the map.

14. Gab April 27, 2013 at 7:04 am #

Wow, these LOs are just amazing! I’m a map fan too and you’ve given me some really great ideas – thanks!