Hi everyone! This is Ashley today, back with the second installment in my Trending:Gold series. (To read part one, click here.) One of my long-time favorite mixed media supplies is gold leaf, and today I have a step-by-step tutorial video to share to show you how you can create your own vintage wallpaper-inspired gilded paper.
The gold leaf and glue pad used in the tutorial are supplied by Stewart Superior, and are included in the great gold give-away this month! Don’t forget to leave a comment on each Trending:Gold article for your chance to win!
Supplies | Patterned Paper: Dear Lizzy for American Crafts. Tags: Dear Lizzy for American Crafts, Avery. Alphabet Stickers: Glitz Design. Bows: Vintage Seam Binding, Maggie Holmes for Crate Paper. Gesso: Liquitex. Gold Leaf: Stewart Superior. Glue Pad: Stewart Superior. Ink: Stewart Superior (yellow). Photo Corners: Etsy (Ashley Calder & the Things That Shine).
For this layout, I used a vintage dictionary page covered with gesso, and then I created a gilded damask pattern using gold leaf. The gold leaf is adhered using a glue pad (Stewart Superior). Briefly, to use Stewart Superior gold leaf with the Palette glue pad:
- Seal surface for gilding. Porous surfaces like paper absorb the glue, and the leaf does not adhere well.
- Stamp image to be gilded using Stewart Superior Palette glue pad.
- Dry stamped glue image for 20-30 seconds using a heat gun. Glue must be completely dry; look for change from “shiny” when wet, to matte when dry.
- Apply gold leaf sheet over stamped image, covering stamped image completely.
- Burnish into place using soft brush.
- Brush away excess, un-adhered gold leaf.
See the step-by-step video below!
Stuck for color inspiration and don’t know what to pair with your gilded paper? Check out my Trending:Gold Pinterest board for color inspiration! Here I kept the page colorway fairly muted, with mint green and peachy tones, so the rest of the page wouldn’t compete with my gilded damask paper – or my photo.
And now, for the give-away! This month I have an AMAZING prize to give away, thanks to my very generous sponsors. You’ll want to make sure to stop in every week and leave a comment for your chance to win this prize pack, that certainly must be worth its weight in gold (pun intended).
- Leave one comment per Trending:Gold post.
- Contest closes on April 15th.
- Winner will be contacted April 16th, and announced on my next Trending series article.
- Open to U.S. and Canadian residents only.