Pattie Knox | In Memoriam

PattieKnox_HeadShot

The scrapbooking world lost one of their best and most loved designers last week. Pattie Knox, a designer at Designer Digitals and a teacher at Creative Passion Classes, passed away after a very short illness. Pattie lived in Ohio with her husband, Tom, and her beloved yellow lab, Izzy. She and Tom had two children, Tiffany and David, which she described to me as their “two greatest designs.” And just eight months ago, in her words, “Dave and his beautiful wife Cindy blessed us with our first grandchildren in June — twins! Lincoln and Mylee! I’m totally in love with being a grandparent!” Pattie was only 59.

Pattie was very well-known in the scrapbooking industry, particularly in the digital world. Her digital products have been sold at Designer Digitals for over 6 years but she was also a  Contributing Editor for Creating Keepsakes’ now-defunct “Digital Scrapbooking Magazine” and taught Photoshop and Photoshop Elements classes at Get It Scrapped and Creative Passion Classes. She was well-known for her excellent tutorials, templates, and whimsical creations. Just a few months ago, I interviewed Pattie for an article here at Scrapbook Update and you can read more about her scrapping career in that article – Digital Designers | Pattie Knox.

There has been an outpouring of love and grief for Pattie in the past week in the forums at Designer Digitals, in the online galleries at multiple sites and there are too many posts honoring her on Facebook to count. The creative team at Designer Digitals have posted tribute pages to her in the Designer Digitals Team Gallery. Designer Digitals has also announced that it will be creating a digital kit very soon in her honor to benefit the American Diabetes Association, which was Pattie’s wish.

Pattie’s digital designs are still available for purchase in her store at Designer Digitals – Pattie Knox Digital Products - and you can find out more information about her classes at Creative Passion Classes – Pattie Knox.

On a much more personal note, I was honored to call Pattie a very dear friend. I have worked with her for the past six years at Designer Digitals, as well as traveled with her, sat around in my pajamas and laughed with her until we cried, been the recipient of email after email from her and shared in the joys of motherhood and grandmotherhood with her. Her friendship was a gift. Her laughter, her knack for knowing how to cheer us all up with just the right joke and her genuine smile were some of the best parts of my day. My life was better because she was in it and we will all miss her forever.

9 Responses to Pattie Knox | In Memoriam

1. Anne March 6, 2013 at 8:14 pm #

Stephanie, I am so sorry for the loss of your dear friend,Pattie. While not a digital scrapbooker, I am a huge fan of all creative paper crafters. And Pattie left us far too soon.

2. kathyhpy March 7, 2013 at 5:47 am #

I’m so sorry the loss of such a dear and wonderful friend you had in Pattie. I am not into digital…yet but I hope to use some of her creations if and when I do crossover!

3. Tharah March 7, 2013 at 9:08 am #

I’m so sorry for the loss of your dear friend Pattie. My prayers go out to the whole family and everyone effected. She sounded like a great person to be around.

4. Laura (@Bookworm) March 7, 2013 at 11:34 am #

Masterful Scrapbook Design has made a scrapbooking-related interview with Pattie Knox from last November available at no cost: http://masterfulscrapbookdesign.com/2013/03/interview-w-pattie-knox-nov-2012/

5. Gela March 7, 2013 at 8:11 pm #

I am sorry for your loss. I did not know Pattie. I took several of her classes and enjoyed her style of teaching. She made me wish she was my neighbor. I listen to her on the Digi show and after that I wished she was my friend. You were indeed blessed to have her as a friend.

6. Gab March 7, 2013 at 11:27 pm #

This is truly a tragedy. I took several classes from Pattie and even though we never met IRL I felt like I “knew” her. She was an amazing teacher and very funny person. I’m sorry for your loss

7. Tracey March 16, 2013 at 6:12 pm #

So sorry to hear this, and my thoughts are with you for the loss of your dear friend. I loved when Pattie was a guest on the Digi Show. She had such a great spirit and sense of humor, and I really liked knowing that someone so experienced and talented was living, working, and designing in my home state of Ohio.

Your post is a great tribute.

8. kritter keeper March 19, 2013 at 11:31 am #

this is such a shock and while i did not know pattie, i certainly loved her designs and have purchased many of them. i don’t think ppl understand that they leave an impression on so many others w their designs, work, etc. like i said, i did not know her but for some odd reason i feel truly saddened and want those who worked w her that there are many of us out here in the cyber world who wish we could offer comfort to you in some small way… thank you for this post… when designer digitals posted that she passed with no explanation it was hard to find more info that day…

9. stevie billingsley March 19, 2013 at 9:10 pm #

Pattie was a wonderful and greatly talented person, I had the good fortune to work with her and she taught me many so many things. Introduced me to digital scrapbooking, and was a wonderful computer mentor. She is sadly missed.