Archiver’s Announces Memphis Store Closure

Archiver’s announced last week via their Facebook page that they are closing their Memphis, Tennessee, store location on March 3rd. The store was Archivers’ 41st store location and had been open since 2007.

Archiver’s currently has 44 stores in 18 states, as well as an online store, Archiver’s Annex.

The Archiver’s store in Memphis is located only a few miles away from the former location of Eclectica’s Scrapbook Garden, an extremely large scrapbook store that pre-dated Archivers’ presence in the area. Eclectica’s closed its doors just last October as well. The closure of both stores will now leave the Memphis area without a scrapbook retail store.

15 Responses to Archiver’s Announces Memphis Store Closure

1. Kim February 25, 2013 at 9:11 pm #

So sad … really hate hearing this

2. KnitterPam February 26, 2013 at 9:24 am #

I didn’t realize Eclectica closed and I only lived a few hours away. TN’s list of available scrapbook stores is dwindling quickly….

• MusicGeeks March 5, 2013 at 11:24 pm #

I shopped at Eclectica a few years ago when traveling to Memphis. It was my “souvenir” shopping on my vacation. I was very impressed with their store. Very sad to hear it is no longer open.
      A favorite locally owned shop in Rochester, Minn., also closed within the past year. Too hard to keep up with the bigger stores, I think.

3. Karen February 26, 2013 at 10:07 am #

That’s a shame. Ecectica was the best independently owned scrapbook store I’ve ever been to and Archiver’s is one of my faves too (not that one, but hate to see any of them close). I am not a digital scrapper. Love to get my hands on the physical product and make memories. This is sad news for me.

4. Anne Brandolini February 26, 2013 at 10:45 am #

Sad to hear this. Nancy, with so many LSS closing, it feels like the hobby is on its way out. Is that true or is it that it’s becoming an online business only? My favorite LSS was Great Scraps in Millersville, Maryland and they closed a few months ago. There are no LSS in my part of NY.

5. Katrina February 26, 2013 at 11:05 am #

That is so sad. When Recollections closed on the west side of Phoenix, women were quietly walking through the store, getting “75% off” bargains, and were almost in tears. I am now fortunate to have three scrapbook stores on the west side. Each store is quite different. This makes the shopping such fun!

6. itsybel February 26, 2013 at 12:27 pm #

That’s sad news considering they’re the reason so very many LSS’s and small manufacturers closed their doors.

7. V. Roark February 26, 2013 at 6:15 pm #

I have some observations as another scrapbok outlet closes. 1. I have only been scrapping since 2008, but I see a trend that scrapbook magazines are focusing more and more on professionally generated content and less on reader submitted projects. If I had seen some of the layouts in 2008 with “50″ different techniques on one layout, I doubt I would have had the courage to pick up the hobby. The industry’s efforts to sell more product to more people is backfiring by creating a standard of time, technique and cost to which most hobbists are not ready to commit. 2. I would love to touch and feel product before I buy, but my local Michaels, Hobby Lobby, Archivers and independent store, ironically, do not stock products that I am attracted to in scrapbook magazines. My local store will order for me, but it is more convenient to have an order shipped to my house. For example, I can order any die that Sizzix makes on Sizzix.com where all my local stores together only stock a handful. 3. New scrappers are not picking up the hobby and after awhile, a veteran will have a stash and doesn’t purchase the volume of supplies that a newbie does. 4. All my local stores carry only a bit of many manufacturers’s lines. Again, to get what I want, I order on-line. 5. And scrapbook magazines are disappearing. A catchy cover may inspire new scrappers, but since scrapbook magazines are sold mostly in craft stores, the few magazines that remain are “preaching to the choir.” How many new scrappers just landed on a scrapbooking site and decided to take up the hobby?

• Anne February 27, 2013 at 9:47 am #

V. Roark is spot on with her observations! This post should be required reading for those in the business!

• itsybel March 3, 2013 at 5:13 pm #

I agree in that the scrapbook magazines have focused so much on the ‘designer’ pages that they forgot scrapbooking is for real families that have tons of photos but not tons of disposable income to purchase as much product/tools and such required to complete some of those designer pages who had products/etc provided by the manufacturer for advertising purposes. They have indeed scared off many would be scrapbookers. If they would have kept to the original purpose of scrapbooking–which was promoting people to protect their photos from closets, drawers, boxes and lost memories in albums–instead of turning into who could decorate the most elaborate pages with the most number of unique techniques and maybe have a small photo on the page–there would still be people interested in preserving their photos/memories/family stories that are so precious but lost when someone dies. I understand the convenience of ordering online and having it shipped direct to you–but how does that help your LSS stay in business, or even want to–have you asked if they deliver/ship direct to you?? That’s what makes it hard for the lss to carry much–customers come in to touch and feel product–but then to turn around and order online? how does that keep your lss even wanting to stay open? They’re not touchy feely stores, they’re store owners with bills that need to be paid too–this is a business for that store owner, not a hobby. Scrapbook magazines have all but disappeared because–why buy a magazine when you can get ideas on line for free?? again another scrapbooking industry ready to go under because, why pay for something when you can go online and get it for free?? You can’t expect magazines, scrapbook stores, manufacturers or chain stores to carry everything you want when you’re not willing to shop with them. You’re lss can offer you more than just touchy feeling of product–let them know what you need, and give them a chance.

• Nancy Nally March 3, 2013 at 6:15 pm #

I think the popularity of Project Life and its assorted clones comes from a drive to simplify memory keeping and get away from it being too artsy and overdone and time consuming for a lot of people. Those products appeal to people who would have been turned off by where the industry had been going the past 5 years or so.

Is there really a big problem in the scrapbook industry with showrooming (people looking at things in stores but then purchasing online)? I honestly don’t know anyone who does that. I personally shop online because it is the only way to get the products I want, which aren’t available at all locally in any store. Local stores are closing because it is expensive to run a storefront retail operation and their customer base in any given geographic area has shrunk.

Magazines are closing from a loss of advertising, not readers. Yes, readership is down at some publications, but subscription fees are a small portion of a publication’s budget. The flight of advertisers from print to the more cost-effective and highly targeted internet advertising market is largely responsible for the mass closure of print magazines in the last few years in every industry, not just crafts. The business model of publishing is changing, and print is a dying part of that industry.

• Itsybel March 4, 2013 at 7:35 pm #

Hi Nancy
          Seems the popularity of Project Life, and other’s along the same concept, are customers who have not had any desire to create scrapbooks–because of it being artsy and takes alot of time, or whatever. The concept has actually brought in alot of non-scrapbookers that want to preserve their photos quick & easy, the drop-in pages has been a great addition to traditional & digi scrapbooking businesses. I use them to store my photos and such until I get the time to actually scrap them–much better than the boxes/etc. they’re great. I have customers who travel and as they develop their pictures along the way they drop them in, fill in the journal blocks, drop them in and by the time they get home they have a great album all ready to show everyone their travels.
          Sad to say, yes there is a problem in the scrapbook industry with showrooming–I’ve seen people using their phones to scan the SKU to see where they can buy online. It’s actually a problem in just about all industries, not just scrapbooking–but yes, it does happen in scrapbook stores, and it’s not just the more expensive tools.
          I’m not sure that scrapbooking has shrunk as much as those scrapbookers that started with the industry boom–when the ‘CRAFT’ of the time was to scrapbook –they are now onto the next greatest ‘CRAFT’ being pushed by the craft industry. I’m sure the economy has alot to do with it too. All types of crafts come and go–you can walk thru the large chains to see what they are promoting as the next great craft.
          As an advertiser–I need to choose advertising that targets my customers–all of the print magazines have websites now–so advertisers have moved to their website advertising as well. After having magazines stale out on the racks–it’s not good business sense to advertise where no one will see it.
          The internet has changed alot of industries in how they do business. It’s quite a balancing act, that’s for sure. But whether a business is online or brick and mortar, it’s sad to see soooo many of them closing up.

8. Vicki March 1, 2013 at 3:01 pm #

I wonder if Archivers had closed earlier if the LSS could have stayed open???

• Mary Kay March 7, 2013 at 8:00 am #

Maybe. For the last six months Eclectica was open, Archiver’s had all their cardstock and patterned paper half off. Yes, you read that right– half off ALL their paper. The day after Eclectica closed, Archiver’s went back to full price.

I remember reading once that the CEO of Archiver’s said “We never strive to put a local store out of business.”

9. Gab March 3, 2013 at 6:58 am #

I don’t like hearing about shops closing. Makes me sad