I have started documenting my holiday season via Instagram this year. I was late to the Instagram party, but like many other scrapbookers and paper crafters have found, the medium has quickly grown on me. It’s a fast and easy way to share snapshots of your life with family and friends.
In my layout today, I wanted to capture my early December holiday traditions – shopping, baking and deocorating – and paired my Instagram photos with Polaroid frames. The frame gave me room to add short descriptions to each photo and in doing so, there wasn’t a need for additional journaling on my layout.
Supplies | Cardstock: Bazzill Swiss Dot (Mud Puddle Trio, Cloverleaf Trio). Patterned Paper: Simple Stories Handmade Holiday (Handcrafted). Tape: Queen and Company Trendy Tape (Brown Polka Dot), Tim Holtz Tissue Tape (Symphony). Thread: Aunt Lydia’s Crochet (Natural). Alphabets: My Little Shoebox (Apples, Red Lipstick), American Crafts Thickers (Nutmeg, Doll). Brads: Making Memories. Tag: Making Memories. Embellishments: American Crafts Flair (Merrymint). Punches: Martha Stewart Crafts Large Twirl Loop Punch Kit by HSN. Die: QuicKutz (Polaroid 4×4 frame).
I used a QuicKutz thin metal Polaroid die to create my frames, but the same look could be duplicated with a paper trimmer and a square paper punch or square nested dies.
To demonstrate the do-it-yourself method, I trimmed a piece of black cardstock to 4.25 inches high by 3.5 inches wide.
My square thin metal die is just slightly larger than 3 inches wide. Place the die approximately a quarter of an inch down from the top and centered with a quarter of an inch to the right and left sides of your frame. Run it through your manual die cut machine to create your own Polaroid frame. If you have a large 3 inch square punch, punch your square in the same place to get your frame.
One final quick tip: Washi tape or tissue tape can help ground your titles to the page. Here, I placed the title in the bottom right corner of my layout, away from the other page elements. On their own, the letters in my title were floating in the corner. When I added in the tissue tape behind the letters, they suddenly had a place to rest and felt more connected to the background.