Provocraft Selling Single Images for Cricut Machine

Provo Craft announced today that they are beginning to sell single image files for cutting on the Cricut Machine through their online Cricut Craft Room software.

Initially the company is making available 200 images from some of its most popular cartridges, such as Create a Critter, Cindy Loo, and Team Spirit, but plans to add more to the selection in coming months. Images are priced at $.99/each.

The availability of single image files in Cricut Craft Room has been anticipated by industry observers since the introduction of the software, and also long wished for by Cricut users. Wide availability of single image files has been one factor in the rising popularity of the Silhouette Machine, which has been significantly cutting into Cricut’s market share.

“We put a high value on the feedback we get from our Cricut users. Many have expressed a desire for individual images, so I know that they will be as excited about this brand new a la carte offering as we are,” said Ashish Arora, CEO of Provo Craft. “The possibilities these single images bring are endless. Our Cricut users can get the exact images they need for a specific project, or they can mix and match from images across our most popular cartridges to create something wholly unique and personalized.”

15 Responses to Provocraft Selling Single Images for Cricut Machine

1. Vicki December 12, 2012 at 4:51 pm #

This is great news for those of us who didn’t jump to the Silhouette.

2. Dawn Lampman dawnri December 12, 2012 at 5:01 pm #

I don’t know if I should be happy or sad. I own over 200 cartridges, and just bought a Cameo. I just don’t believe this, Ive spent well over $7000 + to build my library. :::shrug:::???now what???.
    DawnRI

3. Lee Ann Fay December 12, 2012 at 5:51 pm #

Dawn-RI I KNOW the Feeling!!! I too have purchased every cartridge I WANTED… I LOVE my Cricut though…and am excited about this new possibility! Thank you Provocraft!

4. Danielle Clark December 12, 2012 at 9:30 pm #

I have both the silhoutette and Cricut. It will be great for me so I’ll buy less cartridges and new Cricut owners won’t feel like they have to buy a ton to do what they want.

5. Gab December 13, 2012 at 3:13 am #

Very interesting!

6. Janice Davis December 13, 2012 at 7:01 am #

This will be good for me when we can buy files from the newest carts. I have many, many carts and over half of them I purchased because of one or two things. I don’t have over 100 carts, but think I am close.

I never purchased an imagine, but saw Hobby Lobby had all the imagine carts on clearance for 7.99. A lot of people must have bought them because the store I go to sold out within days.

7. Kari E December 13, 2012 at 10:52 am #

Not much of an announcement, these files have been in the store for a while now… but it’s still a racket by PC… I wonder when someone will take action on the fact that customers are paying $0.99 to have “access” to the file online… there is no physical download (as the little green arrow and wording on the corner of the image in the store suggests). It appears they will not be supporting these individual images on the gypsy because it has started to slow that down considerably when they have done it with some other individual files like fontopia this summer. So when craftroom doesn’t work (which seems to be every Saturday night when I’m crafting) you won’t have access to your files…

8. Kathy K December 13, 2012 at 12:18 pm #

Kari E is spot on! The images have been available for quite some time on the website, this isn’t breaking news – though I am sure ProvoCraft would like everyone to think so. I have approx 300 cartridges and I linked all of them to CCR. Thank goodness I did not get rid of any cartridge – because half the time I want to use CCR it is ‘experiencing issues – sorry for the inconvenience’!
    I still have to lug all my carts with me when I go to a retreat – due to the “issues” CCR experiences.
    So – I purchased a Cameo! Joined the monthly club and receive $150 worth of images per month for a year. Those images are downloaded to my laptop and all I have to do is take my laptop and Cameo when I go to retreats or crops!!! Problem solved – too bad for ProvoCraft!!!

9. Meg December 13, 2012 at 10:57 pm #

I think it is great that PC is doing this. Remember how email used to be all on your computer and then GMail came along and not you can access your emails from every computer. Similarly, it is great that now I can do the same with all the Cricut images. And they are stored on the web. I love the cards and the $4.99. I LOVE MY CRICUT!!

10. mrsdocko December 15, 2012 at 7:27 am #

Bet they aren’t available to us International people though. I tried to buy a digital cartridge recently and the sale got refunded. Seriously they need to work that out because if you are going to allow us Internationals to use CCR and want us to promote it then it is a waste of time if they are not allowing us to purchase cut files through it.

11. Marilyn December 26, 2012 at 11:14 pm #

I’m torn. I purchased the Expression 2 from HSN because Jinger “clearly” stated that images could be purchased individually… which was not the case. I like the ease and simplicity of the Cricut, but hate the cartridge racket… so this is good news. I also have a Silhouette, but ruined so much paper trying to get the darned thing to cut, I gave up on it. That was back in 2007-2008 though. I hear the new software is much more user friendly if you drop an additional $50. Again, I’m torn, why is there no great solution? Or am I missing it?!?!? :-/

• Melissa January 3, 2013 at 10:35 am #

Silhouette updates their software often and you don’t need to pay $50. I bought my Silhouette used and my only complain is I wish it was the SD version…..no computer, no cartridges! But, at least the Sil store is open and FUNCTIONS 24/7. Cricut can’t say that! ProvoCraft will always have their customers locked to a ball and chain. It is what they do! Took me 1 cartrige purchase to realize I was going to pay and pay and pay and NEVER find a way out of PC’s hungry grasp.

Sold my bug and bought a Silhouette….learned the software…..now I buy what I need/want from a variety of vendors and LOVE being Cart-Free!

12. Melissa January 3, 2013 at 10:38 am #

One more thing…..had I bought a cart and now see others buying an image from it for a dollar….I’d be fuming!

• uffdah9@yahoo.com January 7, 2013 at 6:54 pm #

Melissa – thanks for the heads-up! I totally thought the Silhouette Studio software was $50… but it looks like that’s a cost for the “Designer Version”. I’m curious to download it and see if it’s any easier than it was as Robo-whatever? As I’m remembering it now, there was also problem with downloading Robo-crap onto Windows 7 way back then. So I was super-frustrated. Looks like that’s all ironed out now. Maybe I can make use of this dust-catcher after all. Thx again! ☺

13. Sharon September 1, 2013 at 7:37 am #

I’m truely amazed Provo has lasted as long as they have. When they sued the software folks a few years ago I thought, “we’ll, that was not smart”. Instead of Provo realizing we no longer live in the day of Atari and folks really don’t like carrying around cartridges, they should have made an acquisition. They would have all made money for a long time and Provo would not have the software or image library headaches they have now. Looks like the Provo shelves are clearing out around here as well from folks no longer interested in the Atari lifestyle. Cartridges are frustrating and when virtual libraries, or share sites are not up and running you’re going to have angry customers. This day and time if you sell hardware, your software has to be even stronger.