Silhouette Announces New Portrait Machine

Silhouette America has announced a new addition to their blockbuster brand of digital die cutting machines, called the Silhouette Portrait.

The Silhouette Portrait has the same motor and cutting mechanism as the company’s hit Cameo machine, but the more portable Portrait machine weighs only 3.5 lbs and cuts materials up to 8″ wide (versus 12″ for the Cameo). Like its bigger sister, the Portrait works with Silhouette Studio software and has the ability to register and cut printed materials.

The new machine will be shipping in November, just in time for the Christmas market, and has an MSRP of $199.99. It comes with Silhouette Studio Software for Windows & Mac, 50 exclusive cuttable designs, power cable, USB cable, 8″ cutting mat, cutting blade, $10 gift card to the Silhouette Online Store, and a Basic Instruction Guide.

The Silhouette Portrait is currently available for pre-order on Amazon.com, and will be available soon on Scrapbook.com.

6 Responses to Silhouette Announces New Portrait Machine

1. Vicki October 9, 2012 at 5:45 pm #

Nancy – Didn’t they orginally start out with this smaller size? I suppose it is the weight that is the “new” part?

• Nancy Nally October 9, 2012 at 5:58 pm #

I’m not sure what size the original Silhouette machine cut, but that machine is retired, so the only machine that they are currently selling is the Cameo, which cuts 12″. Which makes this smaller size a new addition to their current available line-up of machines.

• Natalie (@hes1sweetcookie) October 10, 2012 at 3:33 pm #

Vicky – Yes the original Quickutz branded was close to the size of this new machine. I had one, and believe it cut 8.5″ or 9″ wide. The original Silhouette was the Wishblade with Quickutz branding. I don’t see much of a benefit of this new machine, unless you are wanting to transport it to crops. In my neck of the woods (Ohio), there aren’t many scrapbooking stores left, so taking a diecutting machine to crops is a moot point!

• Nancy Nally October 10, 2012 at 3:45 pm #

I don’t currently have a Silhouette myself but would like to get one. I will personally probably opt for the Portrait both for the price savings and the smaller footprint it will take up in my scrap area. While it would be nice to be able to do the wider 12″ cuts, I don’t see doing it often enough to spend the extra $100.

2. gabmcann October 10, 2012 at 5:56 am #

Very tempting

3. Kathy Ireland Hurst October 11, 2012 at 11:35 pm #

I don’t generally do 12 x 12 pages, so this smaller size will probably work well for me. I’ve been saving for a Cameo, so my goal of owning a Silhouette is now much closer! :)

And Natalie, I don’t know where you live in Ohio, but Michaels stores are supposed to have monthly crops with the exception of November and December. You might check there….