Monthly Tags | #13 – January 2012

It’s time for another tag already as I play catch-up with the Monthly Tag album! Now we’re up to January 2012, which was tag #13. I actually completed this tag back in February, but didn’t post it then because I was using it for another project – the Everyday Storyteller ebook! If you’d like to learn more detail about the layering technique that I used for this tag (and most of my other projects as well), check out that book!

January 2012 tag

Supplies:

Also: Technique Tuesday clear stamps (A Day To Remember); Lily Bee alphabet stickers (Picket Fence); Martha Stewart for Avery File Folder Labels (Staples exclusive product); Mark Richards Rhinestones (Hot Pink 3mm); Michael’s Stores Celebrate It Wedding Tulle.

I die cut this tag out of one of the cards from Pink Paislee’s Spring Jubilee Collage Card set. I knew immediately when I saw them at CHA that they would be perfect for making tags from – the weight of the paper stock is just right (heavier than regular patterned paper), and the designs are the perfect scale for a tag. I hope Pink Paislee will make more of these sets!

The background paper design had some texture in it already, but I wanted more so I added subtle texture by stenciling Martha Stewart pearl paint, which I absolutely adore, through a damask template from The Crafter’s Workshop. January 2012 tag background Next, there’s a “flat” layer on the tag: a label sticker, a patterned paper die cut, a paper strip, word stickers, and cardstock that was border punched. I added the stamped date and number stickers as part of the label sticker as well. January 2012 tag detail The final layer is the dimensional layer. I added detail to the butterfly with some tiny rhinestones, and I added the brad to add some interest to the huge flat area of paper strips. The finishing touch is the fun pinwheel.

I finished off this tag by adding a very dimensional puff of tulle to tie it off. The tulle adds texture and some dimension without being visually heavy.

14 Responses to Monthly Tags | #13 – January 2012

1. Bec Kilgore August 8, 2012 at 7:43 pm #

Miss you on PRT.

• Nancy Nally August 8, 2012 at 7:44 pm #

Thanks so much Bec….means a lot to hear that! I miss PRT too. :-(

• Jersey Girl Anne August 8, 2012 at 8:04 pm #

I miss you on PRT also!!!! Its really just not the same. I look forward to your guest appearances and also to your new endeaver!

2. Terri Harmon August 8, 2012 at 10:23 pm #

Glad to see the tags again. Love this one. Bless you! :-)

• Nancy Nally August 9, 2012 at 7:11 pm #

I’m glad to be back to the tags too! I really love doing these.

3. Jan August 9, 2012 at 8:16 am #

I bet this is even prettier in person! I do miss you on PRT and hope that the new projects go well. I do not get Scrapbook Soup on my cable. Is it online somewhere? I have enjoyed the bits I have seen (on your blog and Julie’s blog) and would love to see more.

• Nancy Nally August 9, 2012 at 7:06 pm #

Thanks for your interest in watching Scrapbook Soup! After the season is over they will put segments on the website, and also there will be DVD’s of the season for sale.

4. Jennifer August 9, 2012 at 9:11 am #

Pretty tag! Love the stamping and stenciling! You’re not on PRT anymore?!?!?! OH NO! I’m so far behind listening to them. Guess I’ll have to listen to the most recent ones soon. Good luck with your new endeavor!

• Nancy Nally August 9, 2012 at 7:09 pm #

No, my last show on PRT was the week before CHA. But I do have a couple big new projects coming soon, including a new website launching the end of September….stay tuned!

5. Laura August 9, 2012 at 12:32 pm #

Nancy,

What do you use to apply the paint when stenciling? Brush, sponge? Inquiring minds. Looooove the look of the pearl paint with the damask.

Laura

• Nancy Nally August 9, 2012 at 7:08 pm #

I can’t remember exactly what I used on this particular tag but I usually use either a make-up sponge or a foam brush to do my stenciling. Martha Stewart has a new scraper tool that I can’t wait to try out, though…I used it with the screen prints at CHA. Worked fabulous.

6. Laurie Kearnes August 9, 2012 at 7:00 pm #

Love this tag! You did a great job with the layering. I checked out the book and I really like and want to get it – do you know if I can just get a print copy rather than having to buy a digital download plus the print copy? Thanks!

• Nancy Nally August 9, 2012 at 7:10 pm #

I’m not sure about buying just the book…you’ll need to check with Jennifer Wilson of Simple Scrapper, who is the book’s publisher, about that. So glad that you are interested in reading it, though! And thanks for the compliment on the tag!

7. Gab August 9, 2012 at 7:27 pm #