Trend | Mason Jars

Mason jars have become a hot trend for weddings as both glasses to hold drinks and vases for flowers. They are popping up in stores like Anthropologie as snow globes, seen for so many uses around trendy blogs and websites, and now we are seeing them enter the scrapbooking world. At CHA this week, several companies featured new releases with Mason jars and today I will take a closer look at this emerging trend.

In the Dear Lizzy line at American Crafts, Mason jars can be found on her paper, stickers, and a stamp as well as in the booth decor.

In Wendy Vecchi’s Studio 490 line for Stamper’s Anonymous, she has a Mason jar stamp and Art Part (chipboard-like material) available.

Here you can see the Art Part jar and stamp (which is the perfect size to stamp on top of it) in use together. The jar is layered in two pieces for dimension, and the back piece is cut out in the middle so that you can actually tuck things into your jar. I love this detail!

Vecchi also has a jar embellishment in her new line with Blossom Bucket as well. It is flat on the back so it can be adhered to any project easily, and it has a hole in the top that allows you to tuck in flower stems (or anything else you’d like) to fill it.

Crate Paper’s new Pretty Party line has a cute mason jar in the chipboard embellishment sheet.

Last but not least, let’s take a look at Jillibean Soup and their offerings.

This cute wreath made from Mason jar lids was displayed in their booth showing off some new papers. They also have paper featuring jars – many with cute tops and sayings on them.

Their Coconut Lime Soup line also has a coordinating stamp set (available through Unity Stamp Co.). Here is a project sample from the booth showing the stamps in action:

Overall I like the idea of Mason jars in crafting. It adds to the homemade, handcrafted movement that is so strong right now and works perfectly with the current trends of vintage, country chic, quilted elements, stitching, and more. I believe when the summer show comes around we may see even more of this shape in paper crafting lines and booth displays.

, , , , , , , ,

11 Responses to Trend | Mason Jars

1. Judith February 4, 2012 at 12:33 pm #

Love this! Thank you, May, for showing this new trend. I’m off to my hardware store to get a case of mason jars so I can make that wreath and a few other things. The mason jar stamps will definitely be added to my collection.

2. Gina February 4, 2012 at 12:49 pm #

I am fortunate to live in a small town with a wonderful secondhand store (loppis). There are lots of lovely rusty bits and pieces to be found. The Swedish version of the canning jar is a staple on my shelves for buttons, ribbon bits, glue sticks and runaway flower blooms.

3. Jenny Meyerson February 4, 2012 at 1:00 pm #

All I drink out of is mason jars. I have a thing for them and crushed ice. So I am thrilled that I am finally in style after 38 years of life. I knew I had a chance once in my life. And now I can find additional uses for them…perfect!

4. Candy February 4, 2012 at 1:14 pm #

I liked the Jillibean jars.

5. Georganne February 4, 2012 at 2:01 pm #

My daughter was married in September, the reception was in a big tent in our back yard. We used Mason jars for all beverages. It was fun! Kate and Tim made so many wonderful things for their wedding, including little swizzle stick flags so guests could easily identify their drinks. It was a special day!

6. Lyneen February 4, 2012 at 3:10 pm #

THanks for great coverage of CHA!!!

7. Diane Alberts February 5, 2012 at 7:55 am #

Paper trey ink has a cute mason jar stamp set with a die too.

8. Vicki J February 6, 2012 at 1:20 pm #

My daughter got married 3 years ago and we used blue mason jars as candle holders at the reception. I scoured ebay to come up with enough– I now use many of them in my scraproom to hold buttons and such.
    And this past summer while at GASC we were at Judith’s stamp booth and were able to pick up the cutest mason jar stamp… so happy that I will finally get some inspiration on how to use it!!

9. Angela February 7, 2012 at 8:22 pm #

Me too! I love love love it!

10. sherried February 9, 2012 at 3:42 pm #

I have been storing my flowers in pint size mason jars for the last couple of years. Nice to know that I am in style. Thanks for all the great overage on CHA stuff.