Trend Watch | Shades of Orange

From persimmon to peach, marmalade to mandarin…there’s a color that is not normally seen in my craft space that is invading my studio. That color is orange! In many shades, in various forms, this color I usually don’t play well with is not only invading the craft stores, it’s also working really well on my pages too!

While this is the usual time of year for shades of orange to make a cameo in my fall seasonal projects, this year it’s more than that. Paired with aqua, pink, grey, green, blue, and many more colors, I’m finding orange to be the perfect accent. Here are some of my favorite basics in orange:

Above: American Crafts “Nightfall” Thickers (Elm – Rust),  Core’dinations Tim Holtz Distress cardstock (Wild Honey),  Tim Holtz Distress Ink (Spiced Marmalade), Studio Calico Mr. Huey’s mist (Custard), Ranger Perfect Pearls mist (Mandarin).

Where is orange showing up in hot new product lines? Here are a few noteable places it has popped up:

Orange makes a cameo in the debut release of the Amy Tangerine for American Crafts line.

A line featuring orange that is technically a themed (autumn) line, but still a very versatile product option, is Autumn Press by Studio Calico.

Stretching the concept to the more coral/peach tones as well as a more yellow-orange, we find this color paired well with aquas and a nautical theme in Pink Paislee’s Nantucket line.

The Alla-Prima line from Prima features orange hues combined with aquas and creams. This is one of my favorite combinations, and the result is such a feminine line.

Farmhouse by Crate Paper is another strong release that features orange. The rustic look is unique, and somehow the line manages to incorporate a lot of colors well.

Looking for products that are just straight up orange? Nobody does beautiful vivid colors like Doodlebug! Their Tangerine color is a great orange hue, and available in so many of their products.

If you are a fan of using orange hues in your fall scrapbooking I strongly suggest you take a look at these products, as well as others that are not as heavily themed. While Halloween products are nice, I am finding myself more drawn to these items that can be used year-round, and with a variety of my favorite colors.

Do you have orange in your stash? Are you working with it or is it a color you avoid? These days, it seems you can’t walk down the scrapbooking aisle without seeing quite a bit of it!

, , , , , , ,

14 Responses to Trend Watch | Shades of Orange

1. Natalie Hall October 18, 2011 at 8:03 am #

Thanks for this post. I’ve been using a lot of orange in my summer layouts. It’s perfect for Fall ones too, of course. Now I just need to figure out how to use it in Christmas layouts! Love those Doodlebug products.

2. Jennifer Earley October 18, 2011 at 9:03 am #

Great products you featured! I love using shades of orange through out the year. I love it! Not sure how to use it for Christmas or Valentine’s Day!

3. Fabrizio October 18, 2011 at 9:07 am #

It’s my favourite colour so anyone that makes a card in orange would definitely attract my attention. :)

4. Jersey Girl Anne October 18, 2011 at 9:15 am #

I absolutely love the orange doodlebug buttons and need to find them soon!

5. Cindy deRosier October 18, 2011 at 9:52 am #

I love orange! I’m glad to see it moving beyond fall. I think it adds such a fun pop to greens and blues- that’s my favorite way to use it.

6. Victoria Sturdevant October 18, 2011 at 12:54 pm #

I do like orange, mostly peachy or rusty tones.

7. Renee J. October 18, 2011 at 2:22 pm #

I do like orange although I tend to lean towards the pastels and such! Interesting cos’ we had a design team challenge awhile ago using the color orange. It was fun.

Thanks for the yummy inspiration, May!!

8. lizzie oakley October 18, 2011 at 5:42 pm #

oh my golly i LOVE orange! I love all shades of it! I use orange alot… darker hues in the autumn, fun oranges in spring and brighter shades in the summer! The only time I don’t use alot of orange is in winter!

9. Gab October 19, 2011 at 6:18 am #

I love orange too – having a boy it works well on my pages as I tend to use a lot of blue

10. Holly Denghel October 19, 2011 at 12:10 pm #

I hope scrapbook manufacturers are reading this!! I LOVE orange for scrapbooking, but sometimes I have a terrible time finding things in orange. Take the fairly large ribbon selection at my Archiver’s as well as a few LSSs. They have a lot of black, white, red, pink, blue, green. But very little orange. It never fails to amaze me how hard it can be to find accents in orange!!!

So please, scrapbook companies, if you are reading this, make more things in orange! We’ll buy them!

11. Tami B. October 20, 2011 at 10:02 pm #

Orange is the new black. It goes with almost everything in my world. Great article, May.

12. TracyM #6773 October 21, 2011 at 3:04 am #

I love ORANGE too, especially my orange handled Fiskars scissors :)

13. Sandy #1781 October 21, 2011 at 9:42 am #

I have lots and lots of orange and love it! Of course, I’m a Fiskateer, so there’s a little dab of green in there too!

14. Ursula October 21, 2011 at 12:54 pm #

I’m always a fan of a good orange! Love it!