Melissa’s CHA Sneak Peek Picks

It’s the most wonderful time of the year for scrapbookers as the staff here at Scrapbook Update gears up to cover CHA Summer 2011 in Chicago next week. We’ve been busy packing our gear (my photography equipment takes up an entire suitcase on its own), prepping our schedules, and poring over the great new stuff that’s been previewed so far, and, man, are we ever excited to get there and see it all in person!  There’s a ton of work involved, but today I’m convinced that I have the best job in the entire world, because today it’s my assignment to share with you my favorites of the hot, new products that have been sneak-peeked all over the web for the last month or so. So grab a cup of tea, a Starbucks, or a Mountain Dew (especially if you’ve been staying up as late as we have lately) and prepare to be wowed by some serious eye candy!

I’m an unapologetic paper addict (and aren’t most of us?), so I’m naturally drawn to hot new color combinations and patterns in my favorite scrapbooking supply. Studio Calico doesn’t disappoint in this department – their new Autumn Press and Memoir lines are infused with fresh, vibrant color combinations and patterns that are a wonderful mix of classic and graphic. And the Mister Huey lover in me has totally flipped for all the new color mists that Studio Calico is bringing to market – five new colors for each of their new lines!

I’m also excited for the new Classic Calico collection. I sometimes think that Studio Calico has been singlehandedly responsible for the explosion in popularity of kraft cardstock in the industry, and I’m happy to see that they’re coming out with an entire collection of neutral prints. Classic Calico is reminiscent of the very popular Basics line from BasicGrey, but with the definite signature graphic flair that Studio Calico is known for.

Nantucket from Pink Paislee completely surprised me with its soft color palette and classic patterns. The line is beach-themed, but the patterns are so versatile that they could be used for a number of other scrapbooking subjects. It’s also one of those rare collections whose papers would work equally well in small bits on a layout or as the background of an entire page.

Echo Park’s Victoria Gardens has a very similar look and feel as the Nantucket line, but with slightly bolder colors and tighter patterns overall. This is another extremely versatile line whose use of single-colored patterns makes it great for both embellishing and backgrounds.

Newcomer Authentique Paper has been generating a lot of buzz in the industry lately. My favorite of their new releases is the Blissful line. The grey and yellow color combination caught my eye immediately. I’ve been seeing a ton of this combination over the past year or so in home decor (this bedding line by Dwell Studio for Target comes to mind), and it looks like it’s finally made its way into scrapbooking as well.

Yellow, while perhaps not so dominant as in Blissful, is a common color across many of the new lines coming out this season. Glitz Design has done a stellar job of pairing it with turquoise and purple for their Dance in Sunshine line, and also with a stunning navy that provides a wonderful contrast in their Vintage Blue line. I’m also a huge (understatement of the century) fan of Glitz’s Teeny Alphas. They’re so perfect for pairing up with a larger font (Thickers, anyone?) to use for longer titles or subtitles, and I’m thrilled to see that some great new colors and fonts are making their way to market soon.

Lily Bee’s Memorandum line is a great combination of ledger and office themed papers on one side and classic styles and colors on the other. This is one of those rare sets that will most likely entice me to buy two of each sheet since I love the colored sides, but I also love to use ledger papers as page backgrounds in place of plain cardstock. I’m going to want to have plenty of this in my stash!! And the coordinating ABC Stickers are not to be missed. These alphas are awesome if you need smaller letters but still want to have that letter “shape,” and they’re also a great bargain with eight sets of stickers on each 12×12 sheet.

Yellow is once again a dominant player in Sunshine, part of My Mind’s Eye’s massive Lost and Found 2 release. I just love the slightly aged yellow paired with patterns such as vintage ad prints, damasks, and ledger papers.

My Mind’s Eye also seriously rocked the decorative brads on this release. Lost and Found contains no fewer than eight new sets of their gorgeous brads, with each set featuring a wide range of colors, patterns, styles, and even a little layering. I purchased all of the brads from last CHA’s Stella and Rose release, and they’ve been one of my most used supplies since then. You can bet that I’ll be picking up a pack of each of the new ones!

The holiday releases weren’t forgotten on the brad front, either! The Mischievous and Lost & Found Christmas lines also sport their own sets of themed brads, and I can think of several paper lines that I already have in my stash that these would coordinate with. Purchasing the occasional (or not so occasional, in my case) set of new embellishments like this is an easy and economical way to breathe some new life into supplies you may have purchased years ago.

I’m not quite through with the My Mind’s Eye releases! I’m totally smitten with the bright, funky colors (and, of course, the brads!) in their new 12 Days of Christmas set- but then again I’m always a sucker for a good non-traditional color palette when it comes to Christmas paper. I think it’s the turquoise in this line that makes me happiest!

Prima’s Christmas release, North Country, knocked me flat the moment I spotted it, and totally in a good way! It reminds me of everything I loved about some of the old BasicGrey Christmas lines (such as Dasher and Blitzen) – the color palette, the designs, the overall feel – and the addition of pure white (no distressing here!) to the patterns gives this line such a clean feel.

I’m in love with Crate Paper’s Christmas line, as well! Peppermint takes a somewhat traditional color scheme (still lots of reds and greens here) and adds a bold blue and some yellow (there’s that yellow again!) to the mix. And, of course, it includes a warm woodgrain pattern, something that’s almost become a signature in Crate Paper releases of late.

While we’re on the subject of Crate Paper, I’m totally digging the slightly retro vibes in both the Farmhouse and Random lines. These releases are spot on with their color combinations and the perfect amount of distressing- just enough to give everything a common feel and help it blend together. I can see Farmhouse being used for so many fall photos – and how cool is the “ruler” twist on the woodgrain sheet in this set?

It’s impossible to say from just a peek, but if the teasers for October Afternoon’s Farmhouse and Sidewalks lines are any indication at all, these are going to be home runs as well. I’m definitely hoping for more Miscellany packs from them, as these have been my favorite items from their last release!

Maya Road always has new and innovative embellishments to share, especially in their chipboard and kraft cutout lines. I’ve not seen any little chipboard banner ribbons like these before and can think of so many ways to use them on cards and scrapbook pages!

I predict that this last pick is going to be one of the hotter items to come out the show. Tim Holtz has again teamed up with Core’dinations to produce a signature line of cardstock, but this time there’s a twist – it has kraft in the middle! I spy some great shades of paper in this collection, and I think that Kraft-Core is going to be a must-have for many a papercrafter.

Now that I’ve combed through all the sneaks and chosen my favorites, I’m more excited than ever to get to Chicago and see it all up close! And I’m also curious to know what your favorites are of the new lines. Please leave a comment and let me know what you think is hot this year, and also if you have any requests for a specific booth or vendor you’d like me to make sure that I visit and cover. I can’t promise to get to all of them, but your input will definitely help us plan and strategize our time at the show.

27 Responses to Melissa’s CHA Sneak Peek Picks

1. Abbey Richards July 17, 2011 at 12:20 am #

Great review. I had somehow missed prima’s Christmas line and agree that it is fabulous. I do also really like lilybee’s christmas line among the things you didn’t mention. You didnhit almost all my favorites thought. Great job!

• Melissa Stinson July 17, 2011 at 8:29 am #

Abbey- there are soooo many great Christmas lines, aren’t there? I’m kicking around the idea of writing those up on their own, as well as Halloween. I’ll have to run that by Nancy and see what she thinks!

2. Dolly Foote July 17, 2011 at 12:28 am #

I haven’t seen much that doesn’t look like a hit for their respective manufacturers LOL! I really like Crate Papers lines, Echo Park and Studio Calico. I am really looking forward to Scrapbook Updates coverage (and tons of pictures I hope?) on the blog and undoubtedly in Nancy’s next podcast with the Paperclipping Roundtable. Have a great time!

• Melissa Stinson July 17, 2011 at 8:25 am #

Dolly- oh, yeah, there should be TONS of pictures. I wasn’t kidding when I said my gear took up a whole suitcase on its own, and my primary job at the show is as photographer for SU.

3. Kathleen Androlewicz July 17, 2011 at 3:40 am #

This is great comprehensive coverage on some of the great product coming out CHA. Such gorgeous elements to play with!

4. DawnB July 17, 2011 at 4:27 am #

I think I agree, these are all winners! Already making notes on some of the names so I can recall them when it’s time to order. Love the Glitz Designs and Kraft core papers.
    I’m curious what Bo Bunny will come out with and Little Yellow Bicycle. Course, it looks like another great show of Tim Holtz and Ranger again.
    Dying to see what new dies Donna Salazar may have teamed up with Spellbinders this time around.
    Thanks so much for your great coverage. Those of us that don’t get to be a part of CHA get to live vicariously through you! Oh yeah, one more I’m curious about is Dyan Revealey’s (spelling??) new line of goodies. I hear it’s gonna be great?

• Melissa Stinson July 17, 2011 at 8:27 am #

Dawn- BoBunny has actually sneaked their stuff for the upcoming release, and we’ve got links to it on our Sneak Peeks page if you haven’t seen already- http://www.scrapbookupdate.com/cha-summer-2011-sneak-peeks/. They’ve got some awesome brads in their lines that I’m itching to get, as well!

I’ll put the other items you mentioned on my list to look out for while I’m at the show.

5. Jan Wilson July 17, 2011 at 4:59 am #

Some great new lines coming out. I use a lot of Basic Gray and can’t wait to see if they come out with a new Christmas pack.

6. Roberta Stafford July 17, 2011 at 7:14 am #

I think Crate Paper looks more like their original lines. More vibrant, but still remeniscient of the originals.
    Love the Kraft Coordinations line. See lots of uses for that one.
    I am loving My MInd’s Eye. Great colors. Yes, that yellow is lovely.

7. Pam July 17, 2011 at 8:12 am #

Can’t wait to get t!m’s Kraft-Core. Another must have!

8. Tammy Davis July 17, 2011 at 10:03 am #

I love the Kraft Core! I guess I just need to get a subscription to Tim Holtz’ stuff! One of everything please!

9. Terri Harmon July 17, 2011 at 10:21 am #

Can’t wait the see your take on all the new Christmas lines coming out. I’m a big fan of Bo Bunny and don’t think I’ll be disappointed with their new Father Christmas collection. For me, it has a genuine vintage feel without looking like old wrapping paper. I like vintage but not necessarily retro. But that’s just me! :-)

10. JoAnn Vizents July 17, 2011 at 10:42 am #

I’m always a big Tim Holtz fan but that new paper is beyond awesome! Love it!

11. Trina B July 17, 2011 at 11:22 am #

Never a disappointment, there are so many great new releases! I am unable to attend CHA and look forward to your updates to keep the new lines fresh in my head! It really is hard to choose with so many great new product! Thanks for the updates! =)

• Felicia's Scrapbooks July 17, 2011 at 11:47 pm #

Thank you for your review. It is hard this time of year to decide where to put my money. Customers only see a portion of what I see so o not only have to get the best designed lines but the ones customers will see in the magazines and blogs.

12. Mary L July 17, 2011 at 1:01 pm #

Um, I want it all…is that too selfish??? :-)

13. Linda E July 17, 2011 at 2:38 pm #

Love that kraft core paper. I am sure that will be a BIG seller. Also, would love to see some pictures of Little Yellow Bicycle’s Winter Twig collection. The sneak peak on their website is such a tease!

14. Barb in Ak July 17, 2011 at 4:11 pm #

Thank you so much for the review! I was just sitting here saying, “I want that! I want that! I want that, too!” ;-) Can’t wait to get my hands on them for the touchy-feely experience. Oh, pocketbook, watch out!!!

15. Keely July 17, 2011 at 4:27 pm #

I agree with you on the Lost & Found embellies. I want them all!! Your post inspires me to get in my scraproom and use up some of my stash to make room for the new releases!!

I am also a sucker for halloween and christmas collections. Making Christmas countdown and Halloween mini books have cleaned out my stash, making room for the new stuff!!

Thanks for the great summary!!

16. serena July 17, 2011 at 9:22 pm #

love the new MME lost and found 2 line. I was and still am in love with the original lost and found line. Can’t wait to see if it is actually true that I won’t look all sparkly from the glitter with this new line as I looked like i had been sprinkled with fairy dust while using the first lost and found line.

17. Laura July 17, 2011 at 10:11 pm #

I love so much of what you shared and I’m also excited about Graphic 45′s Wizard of Oz line. They hit a home run with Halloween in Wonderland last year and this one looks like a hit, too.

18. Linda L July 17, 2011 at 10:57 pm #

Agree that Crate Paper’s releases look great, love Nantucket by PP, Lost and Found II by MME, but also Webster’s Pages A Botanical Christmas, and Teresa Collins’ Christmas Home…yum!

19. Jersey Girl Anne July 17, 2011 at 11:18 pm #

I am curious as to why basic grey will not be at CHA. Do you have any insight into that?

20. Gab July 18, 2011 at 5:00 am #

Ooh lots of great goodies!

I would love a look at all the Christmas lines from all the major companies all in one article if possible??

21. Cynthia July 18, 2011 at 10:31 am #

I’d love to see what my two favorite companies are up to: Graphics 45 and Webster’s Pages. LOVE their lines. However, from what you are showing here, I am really impressed with the Crate Paper (especiall the Farm House) and October Afternoon lines. I’m planning on getting these when available. As always, Mr. Holtz is cutting edge. Those Coredination papers are A-W-E-S-O-M-E!

22. Jennifer July 18, 2011 at 4:46 pm #

I love all your picks!! While I do love vintage, shabby chic design, it’s nice to have an option without it– I really like the pure white / colors of the Prima Christmas line. Looking forward to your coverage of the event!!