It’s ironic that I published an article today on Scrapbook Update by May Flaum about The State of Acid Free Papercrafting, because I just completed a project that was anything but acid free!
Last night, I completed tag #5, for May 2011, in my Monthly Tag Album project. It was far from acid free from the moment I started it! A project I saw online (wish I could remember what or where, so I could give credit where it is due) inspired me to use corrugated cardboard for the base of the tag.
Supplies – Paper: Corrugated Cardboard (unknown), Tim Holtz idea-ology Kraft Glassine, The Girls Paperie (ledger). Dies: Tim Holtz Alterations for Sizzix (Tag & Bookplates), Sizzix (Primitive Hearts). Ink: Maya Mist (Espresso Brown), Tim Holtz Distress Ink Pad (Fired Brick, Black Soot). Paint: Tim Holtz Distress Crackle Paint (Broken China). Template: The Crafter’s Workshop (Mini Antiquities). Stamp: Hero Arts Clear (Artistic Calendar). Embellishments: BasicGrey Chipboard (NumberPile), Webster’s Pages Buttons & Twine (Ladies & Gents), Tim Holtz idea-ology Tissue Tape (Nostalgia), Hobby Lobby Jute Twine.
Working on a base of corrugated cardboard inspired me to try to put lots of texture and dimension on the tag. I started by using a template and spray ink to create some pattern on top of the texture. The cardboard didn’t take the design very crisply because the ink bled, but I am still pleased with the overall effect it added. I masked off part of the tag with paper to protect the distressed areas of the cardboard from getting inked.
Then I crumpled and distressed a sheet of Kraft Glassine to give it texture before die cutting the heart shape from it. I inked the heart to give it color and visual texture. The paper strip with the month stamped on it was a scrap that I dug out of my scrap file and then cut to size. Now that I’ve heavily purged my scraps, my scrap file is actually useful again because it is full of only recent papers that I really love.
In an example of the convenience of my new kitchen scrap space, I quickly painted the chipboard number with the Distress Crackle paint in about three minutes while I waited for leftover pizza to heat in the nearby toaster oven. It was then able to spend a good chunk of the evening drying…and was ready to work with when I was able to sit down and actually work for a period of time on the tag. Because I was working on my Ranger Inkssentials Non-Stick Craft Mat, I didn’t even have to be neat while I rushed the painting. I got Crackle paint all over my mat, but as it dried it crackled right up off the mat and all I had to do to clean up was dust it off into the trash can when it was dry!
Last, I added the Webster’s Pages chipboard button…I seem to be using those on everything these days. They are beautiful and so easy to use. They are perfect for the sorts of projects that I seem to be doing lately. I’m constantly reaching for them.
All of these items were adhered with my hot glue gun because of the irregular surface that I was working on top of. I guess to answer the questions May asked in her article…I’m not too concerned about archival safety on this project.
Finally, I used the Tissue Tape to reinforce the hole on the tag, and used a hole punch to re-punch the hole. For the finishing touch, I reached for my old standby, jute twine, to use for the fiber on the tag.
Soon, it will be time to make tag #6 for June 2011…maybe I’ll use some new CHA Summer 2011 releases to make it with!