Trendwatch: Cabochon Resin Flowers

With all of the cross-over happening from scrapbooking to jewelery making, we shouldn’t be surprised to see cross-over the other way from jewelry supplies back to scrapbooking as well. Lately, the cabochon has been popping up in my crafting.

What is a cabochon? All the definitions I’ve found describe it as a gemstone that is cut flat on the bottom, and domed or otherwise cut on top (but not faceted). Cabochon (or cabachon) also is a common term for a flat-bottomed resin flower.

Let me correct myself: beautiful, amazing, use-them-in-all-kinds-of-projects resin flowers.

Last fall is the first time I recall seeing resin flowers quite like these. Making Memories (pictured above) released them as a part of their Paper Reverie line. Their offerings are low profile and work beautifully on scrapbook layouts as well as for other crafting project applications.

I was happy to see the next CHA show reveal lots more spring and summer releases planned with these beauties from many manufacturers, making them even easier to find.

shown above: Prima below: Girls’ Paperie

There are two problems I have with these beauties. First, they tend to be on the pricey side. Second, most are more bulky than I’d like for use on my scrapbook layouts. I have been utilizing them more on mixed media, gift tags, and other projects where the dimension won’t really be an issue to combat this problem.

shown above (left to right): GCD Studios, Webster’s Pages, Scarlet Lime

I have found that some are lower profile and thus work on my pages better than others. Be sure to take a look at how high they sit before purchasing. The material and look of these flowers is perfect for creating a vintage feel on a project, but they can also be used to evoke a more modern look. If you’re feeling like doing some leg work, I recommend surfing sites like Etsy.com where these treasures are used for more than paper crafts, and where prices can be lower. Etsy has a smorgasbord of options. I found these lovely roses below priced at $6 for twenty – and you can pick the colors!

See more of these cabochons at Sun & Moon shop on Etsy. The flat bottom of these flowers makes them very easy to adhere with either liquid or strong double sided tape adhesives.

One of my new favorite resin flower products are the Pebbles flower brads. While they are a bit bulky because of the brad backing, the small circumference of the flower makes them ideal for embellishing my layouts. Here is where I put them to use on a recent page:

Supplies – Pebbles patterned paper, brads, buttons, alphabet stickers, dimensional stickers (Floral Lane); Fancy Pants filter paper circle; Hero Arts woodblock stamp (Fabulous Flourish); Ranger Tim Holtz Distress Ink Pad (Brushed Corduroy); Bazzill Cardstock (Kraft).

Thanks to the wide selection of colors available, and the range of styles and flower types, these can be useful on not just feminine pages – but pages for vacations, holidays, boys, and any other subject!

I’m glad to have this new floral option in my scrapbook embellishment palette – and I look forward to working them into many of my future projects.

If you have used these in any of your papercrafting, let us know what you think about them!

12 Responses to Trendwatch: Cabochon Resin Flowers

1. Gab June 3, 2011 at 11:52 pm #

Great article, thanks May. They are very pretty little flowers

2. lucie hale June 4, 2011 at 6:19 am #

I enjoyed readig your article May. And I love your LO.

3. Tricia June 4, 2011 at 10:15 am #

I have these from Stampin’ Up! and Prima and I love them. They are so beautiful. I tend to make bulky pages, so that does not bother me when I scrap with them. Thanks for the review!

4. agnes June 4, 2011 at 10:20 am #

hello MAY, long time no see you. I have been super busy with life :).

great flowers and your layout adorable as always. thanks for the tip on the bulkiness.

hugs!

5. Barb T June 4, 2011 at 1:22 pm #

I have loved the cabochon flowers ever since I first saw some on Etsy last fall. I just have not seen any in the brick and mortar stores, and I seem to procrastinate doing online orders. I think a purchase is necessary because I even imagine them in a lo, but then I realize I do not have even one.

I also love the resin cameos and birds that I have seen.

6. Mary L June 4, 2011 at 2:47 pm #

So, I can’t tell from the photos…are they 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 inch (or more) from the surface of the page? I live in scrapbook nowhere land so I have not seen any of these in real life. Thanks for any help with this question.

• May Flaum June 4, 2011 at 3:43 pm #

1/4″ would be about the bare minimum on these. Think thick button or a bigger domed/dimensional brad. I would guess that the thickest one I’ve seen was about 3/4″ or so. Big enough that it would make a page protector impossible without cutting down the page size so it can all fit!

7. Jersey Girl Anne June 4, 2011 at 4:42 pm #

I love all the different flowers from the different companies but I also would have a problem using them on scrapbook pages. I tend to use more bulky things in my chipboard albums, so that is where I will use them. I havent seen them in any LSS yet but sure hope they arrive soon!

8. Vicky June 5, 2011 at 9:22 am #

Love these and was intending to buy some from the etsy shop that you linked to until I noticed that international shipping (and I only live in Canada) was $14! The flowers I wanted were only $12, so the price more than doubles making them very expensive.

Can’t believe it costs that much to send 40 lightweight flowers…… so I won’t be shopping there unfortunately :(

9. kristie taylor June 7, 2011 at 12:38 am #

ohh my those are very pretty,, I am wondering if I can use my ranger melting pot to make some of these little beauties.that would be fun and save me a little money too!

10. serg June 7, 2011 at 10:52 am #

Весьма..

11. bridal bouquet ideas June 15, 2011 at 10:29 pm #

These little flowers are simply gorgeous! I haven’t used them in my papercrafting YET, but I might someday. My main interest right now is crafting paper roses, specifically for bouquets. I love all things vintage-inspired and miniature, so I might just check out the Etsy shop!