Addicted to Scrapbooking & Addicted to Rubber Stamps Closing

E-retailers Addicted to Scrapbooking & Addicted to Rubber Stamps, owned by Rubber Stamp Management, announced today that they are closing. RSM’s Addicted to Crafts site will also be closing. Health issues on the part of the company’s owners are cited as the reason for the decision.

Liquidation clearance sales are starting immediately with 30% off all inventory. All sales made during the clearance sale are final.

While the industry is painfully used to the closure of small brick-and-mortar retailers as craft retailing has become dominated by chains and online retailers, this announcement is something of an anomaly. The Addicted sites have been major retailer forces online, advertising inventory of a million items, and RSM was one of the industry’s biggest advertisers at a time of declining advertising revenues for print publications. RSM has been retailing craft supplies online since 1994.

Rubber Stamp Management also owns Frugalities. That will remain open for now as a clearance center. The Shop Handmade website founded by RSM was spun off to new ownership about a year ago.

, , ,

14 Responses to Addicted to Scrapbooking & Addicted to Rubber Stamps Closing

1. Denise May 9, 2011 at 6:49 pm #

That’s upsetting news to hear. The industry is shrinking each year. :(

2. Jane Hakes May 10, 2011 at 6:26 am #

Wish they could have sold it rather than shut it down! I live in UK so only ordered from them occasionally, but I know they were popular sites with US-based crafters.

3. Kathy H May 10, 2011 at 7:01 am #

It’s disheartening when any scrap-related store closes its doors-we need them, but I can understand when health issues interfere with your life.

4. Lyneen May 10, 2011 at 8:05 am #

Sad to hear of another closure!

5. Gab May 10, 2011 at 8:20 am #

Sad news. I hope the owners are OK

6. Cindy deRosier May 10, 2011 at 8:25 am #

It’s sad to hear of a closure, but especially due to health reasons. My best to the owners.

7. Karen Osborn May 10, 2011 at 10:16 am #

This is so sad. Best wishes for the owners.

8. Shirley Fread May 10, 2011 at 11:10 am #

How very sad. Best wishes to the owners.

9. VickyR May 10, 2011 at 11:31 am #

Sad to hear about anyone’s health issues. However, their customer service was sorely behind other web retailers. My only order was lost in shipping and they wouldn’t reship. I would have been out my money if a stranger hadn’t been honest and brought the package to me.

10. Jane Giggy May 10, 2011 at 2:39 pm #

As so many others have said, it’s sad that the owners have to shut down due to health issues. I will be keeping them in my thoughts. I wish them the best.

11. Raquela May 10, 2011 at 3:58 pm #

This is sad to see, although I have heard of declining customer service and stock levels being low. Especially for those in areas without a local scrapbook store. Also, as customers keep spending their craft dollars at the Big Box stores (Joann, Michaels, Hobby Lobby, Archivers) instead of supporting their local scrapbook store they are in essence killing the business and will be reduced to the same generic stuff as “we” are forced to close. Consumers complain about the declining product availability in their area but yet run to the big box to use their 40% coupon without realizing the big box has caught on and jacked up their prices so the consumer is lucky to save 20% yet thinks they’re saving more. It also completely devalues our “hobby” and devastates the local stores who do so much more for you than the big box. The consumers are a major party when it comes to all these closures and they don’t realize it. The independents really do need your support. And overall, that extra $10 you save over a month or two, makes a massive difference to the independent retailer.

12. Cathy May 10, 2011 at 9:42 pm #

I’m sorry for the owners, I know how difficult this is. After eight years of being in business, I closed my brick and mortar store in February. I am trying to keep my internet site up and running, but even with the newest introductions, and a 25% off of everything coupon, with no expiration date people just are not shopping. As Raquela said, we really need the support of consumers. I fear with the amount of small businesses closing, more and more manufacturers will be forced to close, and we will see our much loved hobby disappear.

13. Melanie May 10, 2011 at 11:59 pm #

this is such a bummer. I feel so bad for this company and the owner’s health issues. saying my prayers for you. another closure with so many that have already closed. what will become of our beloved craft if there is nowhere else to shop but the generic box stores.. say it ain’t so. my heart is aching for all those that have closed and may close in the future if consumers don’t get out there and spend. currently my favorite LSS has been struggling and has not purchased new things or a variety of them for me to buy, as much as I want to support, how do you do that if there is not the merchandise in the store to buy. i go there for crops and try to do my part as much as i am capable. please hang in there!

14. Raelen August 16, 2011 at 10:58 am #

Wow! This is so sad! I LOVED their sites, ordered from them all of the time! My thoughts and prayers are with the family!