Cricut Competitor Black Cat Lynx Announced

World Innovations Ltd. has announced the addition of a new machine to their line-up, the Lynx. This machine is a version of their popular Black Cat Cougar electronic cutter model designed for the craft market. The Lynx is intended to be capable of cutting a wide variety (such as cardstock, vinyl, cereal weight chipboard) of crafting materials up to 12″ in width, and will work with the full line of Cougar accessories already on the market. In addition, the Lynx is reportedly compatible with many of the software programs already on the market that are designed to work with electronic cutters (such as Makes the Cut and Sure Cuts Alot), and it will also be fully compatible with the company’s upcoming “Black Cat Cutting Studio.”

The Black Cat Cougar Line of die-cutting machines was launched in December of 2008 as a collaboration between Colin Russon and craft industry designer and teacher Dawn Grantham.  Russon is the partnership’s technical expert, while Grantham has knowledge of the craft market.  The Cougar is based on a machine originally designed for the sign making industry, but is modified to appeal to crafters.  The Cougar machines vary in size depending on the maximum width needed to cut various materials. Machines range from a 13″ cutting width to a 24″ cutting width. They are designed to cut everything from paper and cardstock to vinyl and heavy chipboard. There are even cutting tips designed to etch (toughened) glass, emboss metal, cut stencils and do intricate cutting work. For more examples, visit Grantham’s website Thyme Graphics.

The Lynx is priced at $499 retail.  The Cougar starts at $689, and increases in price based on the cutting width desired. Additional accessories available (for additional cost) include specialty blades/blade holders, cutting trays and more. For more information on the Black Cat line of cutters, visit the company’s website.

, , ,

27 Responses to Cricut Competitor Black Cat Lynx Announced

1. Gab April 12, 2011 at 6:08 am #

Very flash looking!

2. Main Street Arts and Crafts April 12, 2011 at 12:18 pm #

I have always crafted. I purchased my 13″ Cougar when starting my business of designing SVG files for scrap booking and paper crafts. This machine has never let me down. Customer service second to none. I had a project that involved cutting over 300 huge snowflakes on cereal type cardboard. This machine purred right through the whole project. It took me about 3 hours (mainly because I didn’t have enough mats to just keep loading into the machine). If I would have had to use my expression, well I don’t know if it would have survived the ordeal. To this day, I have never had one problem that hasn’t been user error. It is amazing how you can change your force and speed for what you want and need. If I need to change by 1 or 100 I have the freedom to do this. Cutting intricate items, a breeze. People have cut items that will fit on a dime. Accuracy, always right on the money. And the print and cut feature is awesome. I will never buy another brand of machine. My only regret is that I didn’t purchase a bigger one. Well I guess I will just have to do it now.

3. Terri Torrez April 12, 2011 at 12:25 pm #

Is this a Cricut competitor with cartridges? Or a competitor to the computer-connected machines like Silhouette and eCraft?

• Lynda Johnson April 12, 2011 at 1:48 pm #

It is a computer to computer-connected machine. I have a 15″ Lynx, which I have up for sale as I upgraded to the 24″ Cougar. I cannot say enough positive things about these machines or the customer service provided. Absolutely the best company I have had the pleasure of doing business with.

• justjayma April 12, 2011 at 3:57 pm #

Lynda, I am interested in your Lynx, please email me! spunkygirl61 at hotmail dot com

• Carol Salter April 12, 2011 at 9:15 pm #

I think at this point ANY electronic cutter is a competitor of any Provo Craft machine…cartridge or not…for a lot of people. I have the Cricut E with 20 carts. I will keep them and use them with my E because I would not have purchased the carts I did if I had not wanted most of the cuts (I have been discriminating), but since PC took away my ability to use MTC to its fullest, my money will go into an account until I can buy the Lynx or Cougar. (PC shot themselves in the foot)

So to answer you question, yes, this machine IS a competitor of Cricut for a LOT of people.

4. Karen L April 12, 2011 at 1:55 pm #

Black Cat Cougars and Lynx are computer connected but can be used with several different types of software. Everything from Funtime, Inkscape/Signcut, Illustrator, Make the Cut, SCAL and more. They mainly use SVG files and there thousands of these for free on the net if you don’t want to design your own. It is also the only cutter I have found that has 24/7 support and service.
    You can put your files on a USB stick and just take your machine to a crop. If you don’t want to take your computer. Although this is only being kept on the 13 inch Cougar unless requested now. Print and cut with laser is so easy and accurate.
    It is semi industrial with a metal case and you can’t kill it. If anything goes wrong each part is replaced with a new sealed unit and you can trade them in if you want a bigger machine.
    The fine detail, thickness of cuts cannot be matched by any machine. So you can cut paper, vinyl, card stock, chipboard, leather, soft metals, balsa wood and much more. They also emboss and engrave.
    I have owned several machines and nothing touches this one. In any department. I have an 18 inch Cougar.

• Carol Salter April 12, 2011 at 9:09 pm #

Karen, I got confused which machine you were talking about when you said, “So you can cut paper, vinyl, card stock, chipboard, leather, soft metals, balsa wood and much more. They also emboss and engrave.”

Are you talking Lynx or Cougar or both?

Does the 12″ Lynx go up to 12″ so a full 12″ is cut?

TIA

• Betsy Burnett April 12, 2011 at 10:16 pm #

From what I was told the heaviest material the Lynx can cut is cereal box weight chipboard. (The cougar can do heavier)

5. JODY Pratt April 12, 2011 at 4:11 pm #

Works like it says it does, and Manufacturer doesn’t tell us what WE can or CAN’T do with out Non- Cricut machine! Love it. If you buy an SVG– you CAN SELL it(under limitations sometimes) as you see fit unlike the other–ONe. There is NO point to having a machine(PC) if you can’t sell you cutouts and stuff on the interent… NONE and this machine doesn’t tell you what to do with what you make from it. NICE JOB Black CAT! I will be a happy purchaser….Thanks for listening to your customers!

6. Carolina Girl April 12, 2011 at 4:18 pm #

I have my money saved. I’m basically a card maker and sometimes scrapbooker and make my own svgs. I was thinking about the $500 lynx, but willing to up the price $200 for the 13″ is it’s worth it. I really don’t do anything commercial or heavy duty and would use it about 54 times a week, so I don’t know which to get. I have a Mac and this would be a nice addition to the family.

• Main Street Arts and Crafts April 12, 2011 at 6:22 pm #

Unless you are going to cut or emboss the really heavy duty stuff you would probably be fine with the Lynx, I don’t know if they make them bigger than the size shown here, where as the cougar goes up to 24″ wide. That is the one I sooooooooooo want.

7. Carolina Girl April 12, 2011 at 4:19 pm #

I meant to say 4 days a week….haha

8. kim April 12, 2011 at 4:45 pm #

The quality of this machine is solid. The performance of this machine is AWESOME. This machine is worth every penny and I would bet that no other cutter manufacturer can match the customer service that Black Cat has.

9. Sandy Patchak Kallek April 12, 2011 at 8:24 pm #

I have alot of money invested in cricut carts anyway to use those cut files on this?

10. Allison LP April 12, 2011 at 8:39 pm #

Christ almighty! How much??!! I don’t think so…

11. Lora April 12, 2011 at 11:26 pm #

I have my Lynx on order – can’t wait until it is sitting on my desk!

12. Christy Powell April 13, 2011 at 12:31 am #

I absolutely LOVE my Cougar!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have the 15 inch and it is by far the absolute BEST cutter I have EVER owned. I have two other cutters sitting unhooked. Not only is the cutter absolutely AMAZING but the customer service is absolutely unbeatable!!!!!!!!! I use my cougar almost everyday and I am totally amazed at how amazing it works.

Allison, Considering you need no cartridges, it will cut almost ANYTHING you put into it I think they are extremely reasonably priced.

Christy

13. Alma-Marie April 13, 2011 at 7:11 am #

I think this is a great option. I would love to see a video with it in action. Anyone know where I can see one? I’ve bought several Cricuts and have got it down to 2 machines, but I own 180 carts and a gypsy and I will gladly sell them all, if this is the machine for me. I’m so tired of PC and its drama.

• Betsy Burnett April 13, 2011 at 8:31 am #

I know there are videos on the U.S. distributers site “that scrap” if you click on the companies page you can find a link taking you there.

• Retta April 17, 2011 at 1:32 pm #

I am so happy with my Blackcat Cougar. The service has been over and above what other companies have supplied. I know I truely believe these machines are the next thing to professional, with my needs in mind. I own a 13″ machine and wish I could have purchased a larger one. I have the pleasure of using it for over a year now. I take it to all kinds of crops and more – even though it is a large machine. I design SVG files in Inkscape (a free program) and then open them in either “Sign Cut” or “Make the Cut.” This company has not lied to me about one thing. They have always been available for any questions and Dawn and Sherri (US Distributor at http://www.thatsscrapinc.com) have earned the freindship we do feel toward them. I researched for a long time before purchasing this machine. I’ve not regretted this purchase. I’ve found that given time it showed me the integrity this company has upheld.

14. Siri April 23, 2011 at 1:22 pm #

I have the Cougar, or my DC (Darling Cutter) as I like to call it. It is the most wonderful machine, and works great with a Mac. The customer service is the best, Dawn actually called me (from the UK to Norway) to help me fix something I could not figure out using mail. She called me only 30 min afer I wrote the first email, and my problem was fixed in less than one hour. That is well worth the extra cost for me!

On top of that I have not spent one cent on designs to cut, and I have about 4000 of them…

You can see videos using the Cougar at http://www.youtube.com/user/BlackCatCutters

15. Darlene April 23, 2011 at 11:01 pm #

This machine looks just like my KNK in a different color.

16. Retta May 22, 2011 at 11:41 am #

This is not a KNK. I have heard the rumors of it being the same and I’m here to tell you it is not. I have a friend that has the KNK and I have the Cougar 13″. It is not the same machine and I just wanted to make that clear. I won’t speak to about the KNK as I don’t own one but have used my friends. The Cougar I own is exceptional. Appearances are not the inner workings of the machine. I would recommend my cougar and their products to anyone. They have earned the reputation of being the top in service and delivering what is promised. Even if there was user error on my part, they helped me fix it and didn’t blame me for it. Once fixed, no more problems. The Lynx – has a bit lower cutting pressure, but still provides the options that most of us want in a machine. The fact that if you find you would like a larger machine and want to upgrade, turning in the smaller machine, you can, makes this the best possible deal. Because, I assure you, once you start cutting and making amazing things – there is a desire for most of us to want to do more.
    I’m sorry about the limit on the cartridges and cricut machines that you have purchased. If you would add all that you purchased up and compare prices – I think you would be surprised as to what you could have purchased with those funds. I personally saved up for my cougar knowing that if I did, I wouldn’t be spending again and again to get cartridges to increase what I could cut.

17. Marisol November 2, 2011 at 6:57 pm #

Hi there ladies: I NEED YOUR HELP pleaseee!!! I’m Mexican and live Yucatán. I don’t know of anyone that’s has ever used (or seen) a Cougar so I have to bother you! I am planning to start a small business mainly making kits to make jewelry out of shrink plastic . . . and hoping that afterwards I can move on and make other things such as vinyl wall stickers, small commercial stickers, engraving, cuts for scrapbookers and so on. I’ve spent hours in the past months researching and trying to figure out what machine to buy. One that can grow with my business, VERY important: a machine that will be reliable, since I don’t think I could have fixed here if anything happened to it. One more important thing to consider: I am afraid it may be too difficult to learn how to use it since the ONLY cutting machine I have ever use is ¡the Sizzix original!! (Can you believe it??) I can easily see that you all are extremely happy with your Cougars and I guess many of you make money using your machines so my questions are: Can you tell me if this is THE MACHINE TO BUY? Can it cut shrink plastic even tough I think works with laser? Will it be posible for me to master its use all by myself? What to do if it brakes? What other things you can think of that I could sell or services to provide that I could make money on using a Cougar? And last, what programs AND tools are essential to buy? MANY-MANY thanks to anyone that would be so kind as to help me with this!!! Best regards, Marisol

18. mariane November 20, 2011 at 7:55 pm #

Considering the initial cost of a Cricut at ~ $300 on sale, the cost of each cartridge ranging in price of $35 to $95, and people owning an average of 10 cartridges, it seems the Black Cat would still be the affordable choice.

• Nancy Nally November 21, 2011 at 10:20 am #

I’m not necessarily advocating for the Cricut, but your price data on the Cricut is a bit out of date. The Cricut Expression can regularly be had these days for $199, and cartridges MSRP for between $25-$85, but can easily be had for much less than that on sale. If you are careful, and a patient shopper, you don’t need to pay over $39.99 for a cartridge most likely.