Provo Craft Sues Sure Cuts A Lot, Alleging Copyright Violations

Editor’s Note: Please note that Scrapbook Update is an independent news organization and not in any way affiliated with Provo Craft or any party involved in this lawsuit.

Provo Craft’s attorneys have once again moved to take action against a company making third party Cricut add-ons. The company filed suit in U.S. District Court on January 20th, 2011 against Craft Edge, the producer of Sure Cuts A Lot software, and Craft Edge’s owner, Brandon Kuroda. The suit alleges that Kuroda violated Provo Craft’s copyright on the Cricut Design Studio software when he created the Sure Cuts A Lot software code, and that the company has been violating Cricut’s trademarks in its products and marketing.

Provo Craft is seeking compensation, damages and attorney’s fees in the suit, as well as an injunction preventing the future sale of the Sure Cuts A Lot software.

Sure Cuts a Lot is a software program by Craft Edge Inc. Developed in 2008, this program was designed to allow users to cut out any true type font, various shapes/dingbats, SVG (Scalable Vector Graphics) files and even their own personal creations with their Cricut Machine. While no specific cartridge is required to use the program, it is necessary to insert a cartridge to cut with the machine.

At its launch in 2008, SCAL was only a Windows release and was met with mixed reviews within the Cricut community. Many people eager to expand their library of Cricut fonts quickly purchased the program. Other Cricut owners, fearful of damage to their machines, shied away from even trying the demo version. Provo Craft also scared off some users by issuing a formal warning stating the use of third party software with the machines voided the warranty on them.

In years following, SCAL gained popularity fueled by the addition of a Mac version, the expiration of many machines’ warranties, and the rising cost and limitations of Cricut Cartridges. A whole community of users formed around SCAL, built around using the program and designing SVG files to use with it.

SCAL is now also compatible with products from Craft Robo (which manufactures the Silhouette and Wishblade machines) and is also soon to be compatible with the eCraft by Craftwell.

Provo Craft filed suit against Makes The Cut over its third party Cricut software in April 2010. That lawsuit has just reached a settlement.

, , ,

147 Responses to Provo Craft Sues Sure Cuts A Lot, Alleging Copyright Violations

1. Amy May 21, 2011 at 3:36 am #

Count me as another unhappy Cricut customer. This move guarantees I will never buy another Cricut product and I’m not real happy about buying other Provo Craft products either. I went with SCAL because PC did not have a Mac version of their Design Studio – much to my pleasant surprise, I found this wonderful program, SCAL, that outshined their Design Studio software in every way AND was available for Mac. They simply did not do a great job with access for Mac or with the design of their software. And then they simply sue rather than up their game. Nice. Big raspberry to you, Provo Craft. I’ll be taking my business elsewhere.

2. CJ May 29, 2011 at 10:00 am #

I’m truly sickened by this move by PC. I just bought the Cricut Imagine and tons of Imagine Cartridge and I now feel this is probably the biggest mistake I’ve every made. I’m thinking this will be the last Cricut/Provo Craft products I’ll buy.

I’m now in the process of buying a Silhouette SD. I don’t want anything that wants to hinder my creative and it appears that’s what Provo Craft want to do.

Allowing a third party application, allows a person to reach areas the current application can’t. To not allow this, Provo craft have just told us, ‘we don’t want you to grow, we want you to create Provo Craft Clones”

We must face it, using the Cricut with the cartridges, you are not creating, you are cutting out what Provo Craft designer have created, however, using a third party application and creating your own designs, that’s creating.

Well I guess what this move by PC tells us. PC is not ready for true designers, just the little scrap booker and card makers (I’m both, however, I like creating my own designs as well, as most of us Scrap booker and card makers do).

I know, not everyone can afford to by both Cricut Imagine and then by a silhouette SD.

However, if you want to stay in the designer game and grow.

You are going to have to look out side the PC realm.

Remember, everything that PC sales there are other companies selling the same thing.

And to the makers of “Sure Cut a Lots”. We are still using your product and to not support us after Dec 2011, makes me do a second look at you. With Computer upgrades, we will all ways require a reinstall and we sill need your help. Please don’t turn your back on us as well.

Please folks remember this, it’s our money that runs this companies, it’s our money that allow them to grow. Grow so big that they tell is what they want us to buy or not. If you are really unhappy with this move. Then we need to let PC know.

Money is power. We have the power.

Well I just felt the need to say it, so I said it.

CJ
    Chicago, IL

• Vicky July 21, 2011 at 10:14 am #

I have to agree… I got the Cricut this year for my birthday because of the 12 X 12 cutting feature… Prior to that I have had the Silhouett SD. In anycase, I design my own things or purchas images and recreate them to work for what I like to do. I have not used my cricut yet nor any of the cartridges because I am affraid to load it to my computer and become quite disapointed with the simple fact that I can not “create” as I want to creat. Honestly if they would allow this feature, they would still gather buisness. It is quite repulsive at the final greed with this. I was honestly excited because a few years ago a friend told me that there was a program to use with the images i owned already and my own design that could be used with the cricut when ever i decide to get it. Now reading this… what a waist!

• Dee September 3, 2011 at 10:07 pm #

I agree with you as well. You are right-you would think that PC would up their game when it comes to creativity. I mean, all of us PC owners are (like you said) limited to what THEY give us, so then someone else ups the game FOR them to cut out a broad set of fonts and pictures for their arts and crafts, and in order to do that, guess what you will need? A Cricut or other die cutting machine. And guess what that would mean? Possible increase of sales for you, PC. I tell you what: if someone made a software that is compatible with my machines, can cut 100s or even 1000s of different fonts, I’d say go for it. PC is pretty popular and chances are that is the first thing people will look at. That’s just me.

• Deanna Atkinson November 26, 2012 at 10:12 am #

If PC had a half decent marketing person/department they would have found a way to take fill adbantage of the SCAL software. Yes, PC is in business to make money, but preventing third party access to software is/will hurt them more severely.
      Encouraging third party development (like Apple’s app stores) would open up an increased creative platform, making PC products far superior and far more desirable. That means far increased sales.
      Opening up to third party software (instead of squelching it) would give them a full secondary market, by way of producing SVG files for sale individually. Customers would not be limited to purchasing entire sets that would never be fully utilized. This would result in greater revenues.
      Licensing developers to create new innovations for PC products would open an additional revenue stream for them, vastly improve the marketability of their products, thereby increasing PC profits.
      There are just three simple solutions to a problem that would increase profits, not deter sales.

3. Rada Francis June 15, 2011 at 9:37 pm #

I think it’s ridiculous that Craft Edge no longer can support software for Cricut machine. Provo Craft charge ridiculous prices for their cartridges and do not allow customized images to be cut out. Talk about monopoly. I will never buy a Cricut cartridge.. thumbs down. The new version of Craft Edge software supports other machines. If you are feeling as strong as I am, go buy a new machine and purchase the new software so you will never have to spend money again on cartridges.

• Vera in CA December 6, 2011 at 2:36 pm #

It’s not ridiculous at all. People, it’s called a “settlement.” That’s not just about money, it’s about past, present and future actions (or lack thereof). Craft Edge would have had to sign off that they would not support SCAL for Cricut after the end of this year. Whether you’re disappointed or not, that would have been one of the conditions of the settlement. I would have been astonished if it hadn’t been written into it.

Bottom line, PC will never get a dime of my money. Thankfully I didn’t buy one at Christmas time last year when they were on sale. And now they’re advertising on TV — “I made that” — um, like about 10,000 other people. Now THAT’s original…

4. Rada Francis June 15, 2011 at 9:51 pm #

Honestly, I only purchased a Cricut Machine because I knew SCAL was out there. I always through it was too expensive to buy cartridges which I wouldn’t be able to customize.

5. JD June 19, 2011 at 8:48 pm #

ProvoCraft, I hope you are reading this. I just conviced three of my friends NOT to buy the Cricut due to the limitations you have and how expensive your cartridges are. Instead, I convinced them to buy the Sillouhette SD which is works with and is supported by CraftEdge.

Sure Cuts A Lot is a great program and it allowed me to expand my creativity where Cricut limited it.

I was still purchasing Cricut products (including cartridges), but now that I’m reading this. I’m looking to sell ALL of my Cricut products and invest in something better.

6. Tracy July 18, 2011 at 3:27 am #

Nancy Nally
    It is not just about loyal cricut users and departing cricut users. It is also about future users. The cricut machines are becoming or have become a first generation electronic die cutting machine. There are other machines that are much more versatile. SCAL and MTC MADE the cricut a BETTER product. I waited to loo late buying SCAL or MTC. Now I cannot buy it. I can never find a cart that I like or I bulk at spending $50 for a cart when there are only a few images that I like. My expression has been sitting on my craft table for at least six months without being used once. I am in the process of setting up my craft room. Once complete I will sell my expressions and get something that supports SCAL or MTC. Overstock has a silhouette for $170.

7. Diana Wollschlaeger July 18, 2011 at 4:42 pm #

WOW I really wish I had read more, I just bought a Cricut Expressons on Ebay thinking I could get SCAL…WRONG. So It’s going back on Ebay and I’ll find a silhouette…Provo Craft your are really screwing up. I loved the Cricut when I was an EC at Michael’s but not allowing us better use of it I will definatly NOT recommend it to ANYONE.
    Diana

8. Janet Wachter July 23, 2011 at 6:11 pm #

I had been waiting to upgrade my Mac computer with a new one so I could install SCAL on my Cricut. Very disappointed to find out today that SCAL is no longer available becasue of the suit. I bought the Cricut because of the option of using cartridges or SCAL. Even purchased one for my daughter one for Xmas. Now, like others, I will sell the Cricut and cartridges and look for some other brand machine. I will not be buying Provocraft!!!!

9. Linda Neitzel July 27, 2011 at 5:15 pm #

Oh My Gosh..I too just bought my cricut expression and also in the process of setting up
    my craft room. I had purchased the personal for my daughter a few yrs. back, she does
    scrap booking. I on the other had love love to design. I just threw the box away and set
    the darn thing on my ever so perfect “garage sale find table” haven’t even used it yet! I am sick about this news, it will be useless to me! $300 that I could have spent on the silhouette! I have noticed PC is gradually being taken off the shelf?? Very limited supply
    of accessories. Mark downs of everything, but nothing I can use or even like errr. Even at mark down price I won’t buy something I don’t like! or just for one thing on it! This move is hurting them! Bad buisness

10. Provo Sucks August 15, 2011 at 4:31 pm #

Provo Craft, you greedy bastards! I will never buy another Provo Crap product ever again. Why do you feel the need to limit my creativity? The price you charge for your crummy cartridges is unrealistic. I bought your hardware; it should be my personal freedom to purchase software that inter-operates with it from a third party.

Your business will fail like many other poorly run, misguided, greedy businesses.

• Nancy Nally August 15, 2011 at 4:34 pm #

Umm, you do realize, right, that this website is in no way associated with Provo Craft? We’re an independent news site? Just wanted to make that clear.

11. Catherine S August 16, 2011 at 8:31 pm #

There is an easy fix for this. Since SCAL will not support after dec31, Hence make no more money on it, Simply make it open source. Once code is open source then PC can’t do anything about it. Apple tried and being significantly larger than PC failed to stop jailbreaking their phones. All jailbreaking code breaks copyright. PC had either too good of lawyers or SCAL had crappy ones. This shoul have not even been an issue to bring to suit. Copyright, please Google is winning that war as we speak, they bought motorola. It’s probably a David vs Goliath. SCAL vs PC, Which is why the rest of us have to suffer. Just not enough money to pay lawyers. It was settled, right. Tisk, tisk Actually I haven’t even looked yet, but I bet Linux might ………..

• One Creative Diva August 23, 2011 at 7:33 pm #

August 23, 2011 at 6:25 pm

Please help me understand, for those of us whom HAVE scal 2….are you saying come 2012, we will NO LONGER be able to use SCAL???

• Vera in CA December 6, 2011 at 2:41 pm #

You can use it, but there will be no more upgrades. This is part of the settlement, no doubt. So if you have problems using an old version with Cricut machines, ever, there will be NO way to get it fixed, you have to buy SCAL3 which does NOT work with Cricut (but with EVERYTHING ELSE! — hint hint).

Bottom line, get rid of your Cricut if you actually have an independent, individually creative brain in your head. Or, never have bought it in the first place, for that reason, like me…

12. Mary Fuller August 21, 2011 at 3:12 pm #

I was hoping to purchase the SCAL 2 for my Cricut. Am now totally disappointed. I hate paying the high prices for cartridges that only have 1-2 items I will even use on them.
    Well, no more catridges for me. I do love the vinyl though. I have purchased several
    different colors. My girlfriend showed me the SCAL 3 weeks ago; I should have
    purchased it then, while it was still available. I guess I was a day late and a dollar short.

13. One Creative Diva August 23, 2011 at 6:25 pm #

• computer2005 November 24, 2012 at 11:48 pm #

Yes you can still use it Craftedge just can not support it but, YES IT WILL STILL work. I am writing this November 24,2012 and my wife is still using SCAL 2 on her expression and it works great

14. Gale August 31, 2011 at 9:59 am #

Provo CRAP! you just lost my business along with about 50 of my friends and family, you are greedy, and stopping us from being able to use SCAL is horrible. We still bought your carts. NO MORE provo craft for me…..

15. Catherine S September 1, 2011 at 9:50 pm #

Scal and scal2 can still be used. There will just be no more updates or tech support. Spool if you just never update the firmware you will still be able to use SCAL SCAL2. PC will lock you out with a firmware upgrade. So beware. As of right now SCAL2 works perfect on mine and it will never be upgraded so I can at least have the freedom to do what I want. So PC will not have a hold on me for at least a little while. FYI it’s you right to freely use the software as Ut was inteded for no law is being broken.

16. Jan H September 2, 2011 at 3:13 pm #

Right on DITTO! DITTO! DITTO!

I bought a cricut this year with the intention of using SCAL & SCAL 2. I just love SCAL I bet you guys have used it too and will not admit it and liked it. The software is AWSOME!!!!!! and you guys are not allowing our creativity only within your limits. If you were not so stiffnicked we all could benifit from the cricut cutting machine but no you all have to be prunes. So off to another product that will allow me to use SCAL Lost my support and money. Will never by your cartridges and products EVER!!!!!! again.

17. Shajuana September 2, 2011 at 4:03 pm #

WOW!!! I feel like the kid in the corner with the cone hat!

I JUST got the the Cricut Expression days ago with the Design Studio. I got the software loaded and started to start a project and felt like a bomb was dropped in my living room. It never crossed my mind that I would not be able to upload and cut my own designs. My heart was broken.

Last night I spent hours going through websites for cartridges cheap. No luck finding something to match what I had in mind and something I could afford. I’m starting to get that sinking feeling that this was a horrible purchase and now I’m being taught a valuable lesson. Research, Research, Research, consider the purchase and research again!!!

Thanks a lot Provo Craft.

18. Dee September 8, 2011 at 8:29 pm #

OK I can understand why Provo Craft sued them because they used some of PC’s designs on their software, but at the same time, PC-you are limiting our creativity. PC needs to understand that the reason people are (well, WERE) buying their machines was BECAUSE OF SCAL and MTC. I still like my Cricut Expression and will not give it up, but I do want the freedom to create what I want. I will not be buy anything else Cricut-related. I just ordered an eCraft, along with downloading SCAL and MTC. Nintendo is not the only company making video games for their consoles, am I right? There are a lot of gaming and software companies making games for the Nintendo Wii, and guess what? EVERYONE gets paid and is happy.Get it together, PC!

19. Dee September 8, 2011 at 8:30 pm #

*correction: buying

20. Nancy B. September 11, 2011 at 12:13 am #

Quite frankly, I’m surprised Provo Craft has taken this long. It was obvious to me when I first got my Cricut (2 or 3 years ago) that they wanted us to only use their dorky cartridges and nothing else. They weren’t happy back then with 3rd party software using their machines and apparently are even less happy these days. Whatever. As you guys have pointed out, the time is long past for them to raise the bar and fully utilize their machine’s capabilities with their own software.

I’m a glass fuser and SCAL has been a godsend to me. I can create my own stencils from clipart converted to vector graphics, then use SCAL with my Cricut to cut a vinyl stencil, which I use for sandblasting images onto glass or for applying mica powder to fuse into the glass. Until I got the Cricut my only other way to create stencils was with VERY expensive machinery that I had no access to and certainly couldn’t afford.

SCAL was able to work when I changed computers to Windows 7 but on the next computer change it may not. I’m glad to hear that the Silhouette is out there as another option to me – hopefully from a company that is friendlier than Provo Craft.

21. Gail G. September 14, 2011 at 3:12 pm #

I was wondering … I purchased the disc of SCAL and if something happened to my computer would I be able to activate it again on another computer. It isn’t a download but the actual software disc. Also after the company isn’t making anymore money on the program they have already recieved mine and I should be able to continue using it … any answers greatly appreciated …

22. Dre September 26, 2011 at 1:20 pm #

I am very upset about this. I bought a Cricut because of it’s easy of use etc. and am in the process of starting my own business. Now I have a machine I can not use at all because I can not sell anything I make with THEIR cartridges. I was going to use SCAL with my own creations and keep the Cricut stuff for my classroom (also a teacher). Now I have a machine I really can not use. I will be selling my Cricut and cartridges and purchasing a new dicut machine from one of the MANY companies smart enough to see that people want to be able to personalize their crafts. Provo is shooting themselves in the foot here, too bad a company with such potential isn’t smart enough to offer what the public wants… the ability to be creative without limitations. Ah, the blinding power of greed…

23. Sue September 30, 2011 at 6:59 pm #

I purchased SCAL back in May while the boom was being lowered so to speak and am so glad I did. I just love the fact that I can search for any image I may be needing for a project that I am working on and poof— I find one and don’t have to spend an arm and a leg on a cartridge. I am with everyone else—as soon as something happens to my cricut I am on to better machines and will sell my cartridges on Ebay and chalk it up to a bad decision.

24. Katie November 1, 2011 at 1:32 pm #

I love my cricut with Sure-Cuts-Alot software, but without the software the cricut would just be a paper weight. I like cutting my own fonts for scrapbook layouts and using/modifying a lot of svg files that are out there. With how much the cricut cartridges cost and how little you can actually do with each one I would never buy one without the software, at that point I’d just buy more embellishments at the craft store, it’s cheaper. If cricut sold a design software that didn’t require cartridges I would purchase it, but they don’t.

25. Angie DeLuca November 6, 2011 at 12:24 am #

Ditto on all comments posted before mine. And to make matters worse, ProvoCraft refuses to provide clear directions for many of their cartridges, rendering then useless – and they charge an expensive FedEx fee to get any rewards items. Such a shame – it’s a great machine with such limited capability. The company doesn’t have a clue and frankly, I doubt they care.

26. joann echols November 14, 2011 at 2:18 pm #

I Love my cricut if I could get it to cut out design from the cartridge no matter what setting I use it will not all the way through the paper,please help me thanking you in advance.

27. Gail L November 29, 2011 at 6:42 am #

I agree that Provocraft have shot themselves in the foot by not allowing SCAL etc, it has upset too many crafters, most of whom use software and still purchase cartridges. I think that they had to protect their copyright because Make The Cut were planning to including cartridge content in their software, up until then Provocraft had turned a blind eye. I cannot agree that their customer service stinks. My Gypsy stopped working and was out of warranty. They arranged for it to be collected and a new one sent out with the same serial number, so that I could re-link my cartridges, free of charge. I live in England. I own the Imagine, Create and Expressions 1 & 2. I also own a Eclips, Pazzles, Slice and Silhouette SD and Cameo. My favourites are the Silhouette Cameo and original Cricut Expression. If you want a machine that uses both cartridges and software try the Eclips it has an excellent cut. But, for ease of use and extensive libraries with top quality designs, you cannot beat the Cricut machines, or the Silhouette.

28. wanda December 1, 2011 at 10:21 am #

I own the cricut cutting machine, my mother bought it for me for christmas to use with my business and scrapbooking. I mainly wanted it for my business though. I am a photographer and would love to be able to print and cut my own tags, boxes and christmas cards for my customers instead of being limited to what my lab provides at high cost to me which in turn I have to charge my customers more for the products. I came across a link to the SCAL and was planning to download a trial to find to my dismay that it is no longer available. I have not used my cricut in about 5 months becuase I cannot get things to line up properly for me so I went back to ordering from my lab. I even actually wrote cricut once about offering a unique cartride that the customer can design theirselves and use. they said that option was not available. I would gladly pay for a cartridge that I had control over designing so that it would work for MY needs instead of buying cartridges someone else designed. I bought the tags bags and boxes cartridge but found that none of the boxes work for what I need regardless of what size I dial it to :( Now I have a cartridge I will never use and I cannot return it. Im dissapointed in the cricuts limitations.

29. ryan December 5, 2011 at 6:58 pm #

I’m quite literally sitting in the michaels parking lot, getting ready to go in and buy the newest most expensive cricut machine for my wife for a christmas gift. Boy am I glad I decided to do a little last minute research. First off, as was previously stated, money talks. Thank god for capitalism. PC won’t be getting a dime from me. I would think the ladies that have posted on this website could certainly send a link to this website, along with countless other unsatisfied customer complaints, to PC and potentially open their eyes. Second, I’ve now found myself in a tough spot. I need some guidance from the helpful bunch here. I’m not sure which machine to purchase. I need a machine that will allow my wife to use SCAL (or similiar program) to get the most out of her creative side. I was sure the Cricut would fill my needs, but am realizing now they are behind the times. I appreciate all the help, and wish you all well.

30. ryan December 5, 2011 at 7:06 pm #

Also, if you could alert me to other PC owned companies……i’d hate to spend all this money on tools, embellishments, etc., and see PC receive a dime

• Vera in CA December 6, 2011 at 2:49 pm #

Two words: Silhouette Cameo.

I’ve used someone else’s (mine will be purchased later this month) — and it is wonderful. Cuts FAR better small details than any Cricut ever did. Already does most of the things that SCAL or MTC would add to it as far as add-ons (i.e. handles rhinestone templates, fabric interfacing or heat transfer, temporary tattoos!!!) SCAL AND MTC SUPPORT IT. This is the one for me! Lots of third-party goodies like pen holders so you can actually use it as a plotter printer. I think this is one great machine and can’t wait to buy it. Downloads of designs are like iTunes — starting at99c each individually (or as low as 15 cents each if you subscribe) AND you buy JUST THE ONES ***YOU*** WANT, not an entire cartridge for just one design. Supports both previous Silhouette and CraftRobo software/designs. This is replacing the Silhouette SD which is no longer being manufactured, since this is better. Does a 12″ page and up to 18 FEET long. Does paper, fabric, vinyl, you name it.

This is the one you want. Wife will have a very merry Christmas!

• John December 11, 2011 at 6:34 pm #

I own a good sized business. I had 30 Cricuits cutting off of 30 sure cuts alot. I used it to cut my stencils for my engraving machine. The cricuit cartridges are a joke and are no good for me. Their loss. I just bought 30 new machines from another company. Greed gets cricuit nowhere. The new machines are much better. Cricuit actually did me a favor.

• Sandy January 4, 2012 at 3:33 pm #

And if you get one of the better machines, visit CraftEdge’s website and join the forum for lots of advice on how to use the machines, free svg files and more from members of the forum.

31. ryan December 6, 2011 at 7:53 pm #

Thanks vera, the cameo was the next in line that caught my eye. The one complaint I have is that it only cuts up to 12″. The cricut imagine went up to 2′. I know nothing about scrapbooking, so I just assume bigger is better. Will she be limited with just a 12″ cutter?
    Thanks so much for the help.

32. Linder Martin December 23, 2011 at 1:10 pm #

Well I am glad to have seen this website, actually I was looking to purchase PC hand held device but as others I too already purchased SCAL2..PC has an on going PROCESS That is unsatisfactory,its a shame to pay their prices, I have friends who likes to bowl, I have not found PC to have that sport, and if they do, I refuse to pay for it or anything else by PC until THEY stop being GREEDY..I guess if PC feels like this…Alexander GramBell must be scratching in his crypt for the cell phones

33. icartb December 24, 2011 at 5:34 pm #

Must have hurt them badly. Their site has been down for about three days and before that I couldn’t get them to write me back about a problem with SCAL3. They sure have “great” customer support-craft edge, that is.

I’m looking forward to getting my Cricut. I returned a Cameo because SCAL3 wouldn’t work with it. Something tells me that they and their programmers didn’t do their job. Reminds me of Broderbund and their issues with their ‘latest and greatest” versions of various pieces of software. They stink too (IF they work).

• Sandy January 4, 2012 at 3:28 pm #

CraftEdge’s site has not been down for 3 days. This is misinformation. I check it daily and it has not been down one time. I do believe they took a Christmas vacation break, like many other businesses. I am looking forward to getting rid of my Cricut.

34. CMK January 3, 2012 at 3:10 pm #

Ok, so all the software makers are prohibited from SELLING the software that will work with the Cricut. What is stopping them from releasing the code to the Open-Source community? You would end up with a Jailbreak-type situation like with the iPhone…the device manufacturer doesn’t want to provide operability, so users get it somewhere else, for free a that. It’s not as if they have anything to lose because they can’t sell it anymore anyway, and it would be a nice FU to PC on behalf of their former customers. Apple has already lost its legal action because the courts ruled that once somebody pays for a device they have the right to use it in any manner they wish…same situation, with the exception that this software came at a fee (which can be circumvented by open-sourcing it). And I doubt PC has anywhere near the resources or legal might of Apple and the precedent has already been set.

• Nancy Nally January 3, 2012 at 3:15 pm #

In anticipation of that loophole you mentioned the lawsuit settlements with Provo Craft (which are confidential) probably require the software makers to refrain from distributing or sharing the code they wrote with anyone in any way. Not just to stop actually selling the products.

• CMK January 3, 2012 at 3:30 pm #

Right on. So basically there’s nothing stopping a new entity from entering the Cricut 3rd Party market so long as they are not profiting or reusing any existing code. Doesn’t seem like it would be too difficult for someone with a little dev-savvy to modify a standard plotter driver that would even work directly with Illustrator.

• Nancy Nally January 3, 2012 at 3:36 pm #

They would still be vulnerable to being sued under the same grounds that the previous people were – for violating copyright and other protections by hacking the company’s proprietary code on the machines.

I’m not defending Provo Craft, just explaining that they weren’t suing those companies for making money…they were suing them over violating the integrity of the code itself. So anyone else doing the same thing whether they were making money doing it or not, would be subject to the same argument of violation by PC.

You don’t have to make money doing something for it to be an intellectual property violation.

35. Patricia M. January 23, 2012 at 7:03 am #

Sadly, not knowing much about Cricut, I purchased the new Mini thinking I would be able to use a software program like SCAL to make my own designs and make very limited purchases of the Cricut cartridges. There are very few of the ProvoCraft cartridges currently that have things I would be able to use, since most of the designs are “cute” or trendy and that is not necessarily my personal style. I guess I did not do enough research before my purchase. I do think ProvoCraft would profit by following Apple in the design of iTunes store by selling digital images a la carte rather than forcing people to purchase 30.00 and up worth of digital designs they may not want or ever use. I’d be happy to pay 75 cents to 1 dollar an image when there is something that really fits in with the project I am working on rather than forking over 30.00 or higher (local stores sell cartridges for 89.00!) If it costs that much and I don’t like enough of the images on the cartridge, I just do without and go another way with my design. But, I do agree with the people who are saying that the freedom of designing with something like SCAL makes your art your own. I’ll keep my eye out for a deal on one of the cutters that SCAL does have a partnership with for the future.

• Nancy Nally January 23, 2012 at 9:43 am #

It’s my personal belief that Provo Craft does eventually intend to use Cricut Craft Room to sell images the way you describe…it would make sense anyway, for a lot of reasons.

36. Glenys January 27, 2012 at 9:29 pm #

Hi Everyone
    Thanks for all your interesting bloggs on MTC and SCAL,SHAME on Cricut, I have just been on Cricut official facebook page and told them what I think of them I am awaiting my new Cricut CREATE bought from CREATE AND CRAFT tomorrow but after reading what you have all said about it ,It will be sent back when it arrives, as lots of you are doing, GOOD ON YOU why take away all the fun we have, As lotsof you say there are plenty of other machines out there I will use my Xyron Wishblade and have another look at whats available INSTEAD of the CREATE, Maybe the reason for CREATE AND CRAFT sellig them at good prices is because CRICUT ARE FEELING THE PINCH, and not so many people are buying them.Why not go onto the official face book page AND TELL THEM WHAT YOU THINK.

37. Holly April 14, 2012 at 10:33 am #

I have a question and I was hoping that since most of you have at least tried Cricut with SCAL maybe some one can help me out. I bought SCAL last year and I haven’t been updating my Cricut so I would be able to use it. I have only been used it a few times because I have been using my Cricut cartridges a lot lately. Last week I was trying to cut something on SCAL and it wouldn’t cut through the paper. It just barely put the outline of my designs on, but it wasn’t really cut through. I tried researching pressures and stuff but I had no luck fixing it. When I gave up on that, I tried to go back and use a cartridge. The Cricut was still doing the same thing when cutting those shapes. So now, my Cricut is useless unless anyone knows how to fix this problem. Does anyone know what the problem is? I’m not great at drawing or “creating” my own images, so I was satisfied with my Cricut when it worked. I understand why everyone is upset, I hate the limitations, but if anyone is interested in selling your Cricut to me, just let me know and we might be able to work something out. Sorry you aren’t satisfied- I totally get it, but I still want a Cricut to go with the cartridges I already have and love. :)

• Hernando Delgado June 28, 2012 at 5:22 pm #

Restore your pc to a date prior to the problem (some time en mid March).

38. rochelle April 24, 2012 at 7:01 am #

i guess i’ll have to look for free .PDF files until i figure out which machine to purchase. i have a friend who introduced me to SCAL a few years ago and i haven’t kept up with the provocraft litigation, but it only ensures me that it’s obviously a product i won’t purchase because of the expense of their cartridges and the fact that i might want only one item on that cartridge… it’s ashame they didn’t consider an agreement with SCAL to receive a portion of each purchase of the software and allow their machine more versatility.

39. MariAnne Reihl June 4, 2012 at 8:58 pm #

Wow, ProvoCraft…I am not a ‘techy’, but have been trying to learn how to hook my Cricut up to SCAL. A fellow scrapper demonstrated how to use it at scrap camp in April and I was so excited! The possibilities were so unlimited! And now, while shopping online for the USB cord I would need and the purchase details of SCAL, I am SOOOOOO glad I haven’t done it! I do believe I will be selling my Cricut and its accessories and doing the research on a new die-cutting system. I’m so bummed because it was fairly simple and so much fun. I hope you will read the posts written by your former happy customers and rethink your business strategy. Hobbies such as scrapping, etc really should not be as expensive as you have been making them.

40. Vera in CA June 27, 2012 at 4:08 pm #

Another nail in the coffin for ProvoCrap — when you dare to sign on to Craft Design Room, READ the FINE PRINT. ANYTHING you upload to ProvoCraft CDR *BECOMES THEIR PROPERTY.* I am not kidding. Read the legalese before you accept/agree! You will lose ALL your rights to YOUR designs, just by wanting to share them. PC is absolutely disgusting IMO. I am so glad I NEVER bought a Cricut when they were advertising on TV.

• Glenys Knowles June 27, 2012 at 6:33 pm #

Dear Vera,
      Disgusting what they can do, I also thought long and hard before I didnt buy the cricut create,
      I feel sorry for the people who are getting ripped off by this company surely this cant be acceptable the only thing is unless you look into the comments and grumbles that cardmakers who have bought their
      equiptment put on the blogspot, you will never realise what they are capeable of, anyway I am pleased you were like me and not taken in by all the Tv craft shows saying how good it was, what they WONT tell you is the rip off side of it,
      There are plenty of other machines out there, the Silhouette is brilliant
      Regards Glenys

41. Robin July 18, 2012 at 11:28 am #

I’m looking to purchase my first die cutter, and was about to buy the PC Expression2 I saw at a store yesterday. I decided to look up some reviews before getting it. I’m so glad I did; now that I know I can’t do my own designs with Provo’s products, I’d never consider buying one. They’ve lost yet another person who *would* have been a customer for sure. :/ Time to start saving for a Cameo Silhouette…

42. Bobbie August 6, 2012 at 11:28 pm #

I’ve lost everything that came with my SCAL 2… How can I get my serial number??

• Nancy Nally August 6, 2012 at 11:41 pm #

That question would be best addressed to SCAL’s manufacturer….this site is not affiliated with that company.

43. Karla September 2, 2012 at 6:56 pm #

I was so happy when I purchased my Cricut but now after reading more into stuff about it and all this crap that they wont let you do I’m sorry I bought it :-/ PC is a joke!

44. Tina September 7, 2012 at 1:03 pm #

Like everyone else – I think that PC is totally missing the mark here. It’s one thing that they want to control the market and can’t admit that SCAL improved their product. How stupid of them! What bothers me the most however is that their stupid cartridges are crap… why can’t they come up with creative designs like I see are available in SVG formats on the web?? I’m mostly interested in 3D products and PC has very little to offer in this respect. If they want to force us to use their products, they should at least be ontop of the game by offering cut files that are competitive with other designers. What a ridiculous situation!! I’m unfortunately one of these people who bought a stupid cricut right at the time that SCAL had to pull their product and there I was with a crappy machine that serves me no purpose – by the time I figured out what happened, it was too late for me to take it back. I refuse to buy cricut cartridges and will sell my machine to buy a Silhoutte just as soon as I can afford one. I can’t wait for Provo Craft to lose their edge on the market. I just wish people would stop buying cricut machines so that they would finally have egg on their face – which they clearly deserve!

• Glenys Knowles September 9, 2012 at 5:53 pm #

Hi Tina,
      Cant agree with you more well said, I was one of the lucky ones I ordered mine and just as it arrived found out about the court case, even before I opened the crappy thing It went back from whence it came the next day, I bought a secondhand Wishblade and never looked back,as there are loads of GOOD freebi cutting files on the net for the silhouette and robocraft and they ALL work,Have you noticed how Create and Craft are pushing Cricut at low prices and in a new pink colour makes you think that people are realising AT LAST serves Cricut right.

• Tina September 10, 2012 at 7:39 am #

I suspect Provo Craft has got to be seeing a drop in sales and that we’ll be seeing more and more promotions to sell the Cricut. I’ve even noticed that the cricut cartridges aren’t really selling even when they do go on sale. This weekend AC Moore had all cartridges marked down to $25 from $59.95 and they just weren’t selling – so maybe it’s just a matter of time. I’m happy you for fortunate enough to be able to return your Cricut – I’m sure you are enjoying you Wishblade!!

45. Adam Gale October 14, 2012 at 3:48 am #

I was going to buy my wife one of these for Christmas this year, after seeing the tantrum they’ve thrown over SCAL, I will not be buying one, and have talked my mother in law and sister out of purchasing them. I also talked my sister in law into selling hers, and going to a different brand.

46. jamie-lynn October 25, 2012 at 2:00 pm #

I just want to say that I love my cricut machine and would not replace it with anything so what if they are suing honestly I would too you guys basically said it yourself that with the scal you wouldn’t be purchasing cartridges anyways ummm hello I honestly don’t think you should be boycotting a very good product in my eyes

• Adam Gale October 25, 2012 at 2:18 pm #

A product that requires you to buy more products to stay operational. If you bought a computer, and were forced to buy thousands of dollars extra with that you’d throw a tantrum, it’s nothing more than trying to create a monopoly. What smart people did was say, hey, I can make the same product, a better product, and I can open it up so they don’t have to buy a whole bunch of cartridges or upgrades, they can do whatever they want for FREE. In my opinion, the customer service is inferior, and the product is inferior. We’ve decided to buy a silhouette Cameo as it far outperforms the tyrannical Cricut.

47. Shannon November 21, 2012 at 2:08 am #

I have an older Cricut and I was SO thrilled when I found the SCAL program and was able to cut true type fonts. I have version 2 of SCAL. I was literally going to go and buy the Cricut Expression tomorrow and stumbled across this site in my search to see if the program was compatible for the Expression 2. Needless to say, there is no Cricut purchase in my future but I now have questions on my existing program. I only have the program downloaded on my laptop right now and recently got a new desktop. Am I able to load the program onto my desktop or will it automatically update and then lock me out and prevent me from using the program altogether anymore?!? My second question is…what is the machine everyone would recommend? I have no problem investing in a new machine if I can use a SCAL type software. I haven’t touched a single cartridge ever since I got SCAL!

• Robin November 21, 2012 at 4:45 am #

I don’t know the answer to your laptop/PC question, but as for the second, after doing a lot og research I eventually bought a Silhouette Cameo. It’s a bit pricey but I love it, and it can cut all sorts of stuff (vinyl, fabric, etc) beyond just paper, and if you buy a little holder thingie then it can also use pens to draw (rather than simply cutting). I’ve had mine for about six months now, and so far it’s been able to handle everything I’ve thrown at it. It comes with its own software, Silhouette Studio, which can use all the TT fonts and is compatible with downloads of other people’s designs. They have a huge library you can buy from too, and the cost is super-reasonable (IMO), usually around $0.99 per image. Or you can make your own, of course. There’s also a nifty “Trace” feature where you can import any kind of .jpg file and then the program traces the edges to turn it into a cuttable shape.

I will say that there’s a bit of a learning curve to both the software and the cutting (for me it’s involved trial and error any time I’m cutting a new kind of paper, to figure out what setting the blade and speed should be). But although I’ve never used SCAL, it’s probably quite similar to Studio. I’m sure anyone who figured out SCAL could easily figure out Studio. :)

• Christina November 24, 2012 at 10:42 am #

Hi Robin
      Go with the Sizzix Eclips machine, it is identical to the cricut machine. Sizzix also offers a payment plan where you can spread the cost of the machine over three months. They also sell the Eclips machine bundled with the SCAL program as well. Their cartridges are cheaper and have twice as many images on them. Tim Holtz also has his own line of cartridges for the machine. Their cutting matts and blades are a bit cheaper to I think. The only thing is, I have never seen anything for this machine at Joanns or Michaels. I think Sizzix has free shipping right now. I just bought my machine the other day – I can’t wait for it to arrive.

48. Christina November 24, 2012 at 10:33 am #

I to was really mad when I found out that SCAL and Makes the Cut can no longer be used on the Cricut machine. I had the cricut expression, tons of cartridges. As soon as I found out that you can no longer purchase SCAL because of provo crafts greed, I immediately listed my cricut and cartridges on ebay and sold it. I used the money to purchase the Sizzix Eclips machine. The sizzix machine is identical to the cricut machine. I think that their cartridges are bit cheaper and they come with what seems like twices as many images as the cricut and Tim Holtz also has a line of cartridges for use with the Eclips machine, their cutting matts, blades are also a bit cheaper as well. And the best part is…SIZZIX SELLS THEIR ECLIPS MACHINE BUNDLED WITH SCAL! Needless to say, provo craft has lost me as a customer.

49. computer2005 November 24, 2012 at 11:56 pm #

You can still purchase SCAL on Ebay all day long – you just have to make sure you have an older cricut machine that is before PC stopped the use for. My wife has 2 of the cricut expression 1′s and both running firmware 2.34 and work great with the SCAL. I also have a Expression 2 newer version that is not suppose to work with SCAL but it does work with scal for me. I think because it is one of the 1st expression 2 and never has been firmware updated.

50. Shawn Woodell December 7, 2012 at 7:58 pm #

So if I buy a Cricut Expression today, will I be able to use the old scal software that I have?