Provo Craft Sues Sure Cuts A Lot, Alleging Copyright Violations

Editor’s Note: Please note that Scrapbook Update is an independent news organization and not in any way affiliated with Provo Craft or any party involved in this lawsuit.

Provo Craft’s attorneys have once again moved to take action against a company making third party Cricut add-ons. The company filed suit in U.S. District Court on January 20th, 2011 against Craft Edge, the producer of Sure Cuts A Lot software, and Craft Edge’s owner, Brandon Kuroda. The suit alleges that Kuroda violated Provo Craft’s copyright on the Cricut Design Studio software when he created the Sure Cuts A Lot software code, and that the company has been violating Cricut’s trademarks in its products and marketing.

Provo Craft is seeking compensation, damages and attorney’s fees in the suit, as well as an injunction preventing the future sale of the Sure Cuts A Lot software.

Sure Cuts a Lot is a software program by Craft Edge Inc. Developed in 2008, this program was designed to allow users to cut out any true type font, various shapes/dingbats, SVG (Scalable Vector Graphics) files and even their own personal creations with their Cricut Machine. While no specific cartridge is required to use the program, it is necessary to insert a cartridge to cut with the machine.

At its launch in 2008, SCAL was only a Windows release and was met with mixed reviews within the Cricut community. Many people eager to expand their library of Cricut fonts quickly purchased the program. Other Cricut owners, fearful of damage to their machines, shied away from even trying the demo version. Provo Craft also scared off some users by issuing a formal warning stating the use of third party software with the machines voided the warranty on them.

In years following, SCAL gained popularity fueled by the addition of a Mac version, the expiration of many machines’ warranties, and the rising cost and limitations of Cricut Cartridges. A whole community of users formed around SCAL, built around using the program and designing SVG files to use with it.

SCAL is now also compatible with products from Craft Robo (which manufactures the Silhouette and Wishblade machines) and is also soon to be compatible with the eCraft by Craftwell.

Provo Craft filed suit against Makes The Cut over its third party Cricut software in April 2010. That lawsuit has just reached a settlement.

, , ,

147 Responses to Provo Craft Sues Sure Cuts A Lot, Alleging Copyright Violations

1. Gitana the Creative diva March 12, 2011 at 3:29 am #

Based on the comments made regarding the settlement of the MTC lawsuit, as well as the popularity of SCAL, it would appear that ProvoCraft is cutting its nose to spite its face. These 3rd party software packages make the Cricut more functional and user friendly and, by extension, more desirable to the crafting community. It is quite possible that the backlash over these lawsuits may result in a drop in sales for ProvoCraft as angry consumers boycott their products in favor of the competition. If PC wants to eliminate 3rd party software, then perhaps it should invest in developing its own proprietary software with all the functionality that its users want from their Cricut machines. With the rising popularity in electronic cutters and the number of machines with more features being introduced by competing companies, ProvoCraft may find that it has litigated itself right out of the market.

• Lorna March 19, 2011 at 6:46 am #

I think you have summed up the situation very well. I hope PC reads this. Not over emotive, just realistic and succinct. Well done, you have spoken for all of us I think.

• Robbin March 24, 2011 at 12:10 pm #

I have one question………….when this is all over, are we going to still be able to cut the svg files we have or is provocraft going to somehow block SCAL users from using the software totally??? If we already own it, can we continue using it????? So confused with this …………..thanks for anyone’s response

2. Angie March 12, 2011 at 7:50 am #

I agree with Gitana. Many people would not have even bought the Cricut machine if they could not also use either Make the Cut or Sure Cuts a Lot.

3. Ginger March 12, 2011 at 8:25 am #

To be honest they a losing sooooo much money because of this program. The cricut machine itself is on source of their income yes, but they sell the machine and cartridges. The cartridge are what keeps their business going when you think about it. I bought an expression a couple years ago for $198 (they typically get half of the retail price). I don’t need another machine they will most likely not get that much money again from each customer but they will get the wholesale of each cartridge you purchase and if you wanted a gypsy or design studio or in some cases both the get the wholesale price of those. If you purchase a third party program they are getting the money from the gypsy or design studio and then they are losing your purchase of cartridges when you think about that is more money the the cricut machines. I personally didn’t get involved with third party software for my cricut I have been lucky because my boyfriend and family getting me cartridges as gifts and becauseat Christmas I got a gypsy and the 5 free cartridge plus gypsy wandering and font so I have a lot to choose from . I know cartridges can be expensive but you are helping keep a scrapbooking business going and keeping craft stores open with you purchases. And we wondering why scrapbook companies are closing their doors. Geesh

• Rhonda March 13, 2011 at 11:06 am #

I had still been buying cartridges when I could afford them and mats and blades. I also have MTC and SCAL. Me having and using those programs haven’t cost PC a penny from me. I still purchased from them. Now I will save those pennys to buy a different cutter and when my expression dies, I will buy a different cutter. I had been looking forward to getting the new expression 2 when it came ou,t now I will not get it. I will buy someone elses machine.

• Carla L March 24, 2011 at 6:56 am #

I completely agree. While I own some 80+ cartridges, I use my SCAL program a lot. There are several SVG file images and fonts that I use that Cricut simply will not create for a cartridge. Even though I purchase SVGs to use with my SCAL program, I am still using Cricut mats and blades, which I purchase regularly. I am with you, no Expression 2 for me. I am officially on the market for a new cutter. I think PC shot themselves in the foot with this one. I have hugely promoted Cricut on my blog and will no longer be doing so.

• susan March 24, 2011 at 10:08 am #

I think you’re missing the point. It doesn’t matter how many cartridges I own (nearly 50) I STILL want the freedom to design my own images and fonts. PC could easily resolve this issue by just making a program that would do what we want. If they don’t, we will switch to other machines that will and then…..no more cartridge sales. They are going to put themselves right out of business.

4. Sheri Corwin March 12, 2011 at 9:01 am #

Provo Craft is and Cricut is not longer in my vocabulary. I am ticked off. Not for me, as I have not used it since getting my Cougar before Christmas. I don’t need their mats and I can get blades from ebay. I never bought a cartridge to go with it. I only had the 2 original ones that came with it. What I am ticked off at is that all the other Cricut owners that do not have an alternate cutter are stuck now with buying just their stuff. What a shame! The carts are way to expensive for what you get on them. That is just money hungry ridiculous! I hope that the Cricut owners get together and boycott Provo Craft. I for one will NEVER buy another product from them. Andy and Ann, we support you and you have been the greatest people to be associated with. You do so much for your customers and operate your business like others should. Your customer service and involvement compare to no others I have ever come across and I want to say Thanks again for all you do for us.

5. Kinsey March 12, 2011 at 11:05 am #

While i understand the frustration that many people are feeling over this I have to agree with Ginger. PC has been losing money because of these programs and as a company they had to do something to protect themselves. Copyrights are copyrights people and as a business owner if someone violated my copyright I would take action as well.

I have been a long time PC customer and have no intention of jumping ship because of the two lawsuits. Anytime I’ve had any issues and have had to call customer service I have always received exceptional service. They are very customer friendly and I’ve even known them to replace machines that are out of warranty at absolutely no cost to the consumer.

All of that being said I feel that it would be very smart for PC to create their own software that would function much in the same way as MTC and SCAL. Considering all of the new die cut machines on the market they will need to do something to remain competative.

• Patricia March 12, 2011 at 7:32 pm #

I do not see why they cannot work with both of these companies, or since they are so upset about the situation, make Cricut Design Studio work the same way that SCAL and MTC work. I am sure that Microsoft felt the same way when Open Office and other products like their expensive MS Office started out. they have learned to work it out with them to allow these other source codes (or whatever they are called) work with PCs. Why can’t PC? because they are greedy, and isn’t greed part of wanting to be a monoply? If they want us so bad, change CDS to work like SCAL and MTC, bring down the price of these cartridges (I hear they will be getting higher in price), and give customers great customer service, and do like Microsoft, just give in. Stop suing the hand that feeds you.

• SEA March 16, 2011 at 11:09 am #

I disagree with the comments that PC has been losing money because of the 3rd party software. I did not purchase a Cricut E UNTIL I saw what could be done with SCAL. I had already had experience with a laser plotter cutter from work and CAD programs. When I saw that I could do the same with the Cricut I purchased it AND cartridges, still am. So if SCAL hadn’t been in the picture PC would have not gotten my money at all, or still do. I use and purchase the cartridges and I use SCAL to design those specialized projects that I cannot find on a cartridge or add to the cartridge images to my new design. It makes the Cricut and it’s carts more flexable and useful to the crafter. They would do better to make a partnership, many competing companies have done so to their benefit and their customers benefit.

As it has been said in other posts, it is a plotter cutter, it takes info from a program and cuts it, just like a printer takes the document from whatever program and prints it. Just like you can use different printers with your computer/and programs with no problem form their respective companies, the Cricut is like a printer in this situation. If my Cricut dies I will not get another if I cannot use SCAL with it. I will purchase another companies brand that allows it to be used and promotes my creativity with it. So PC will lose money from me if they DO NOT allow it to be used. So many other companies in this economy are doing what they can to insure customer loyalty and choice in their products and that is smart business. A company that does not see this and loyal to their customers and their needs/desires for their product do not deserve the loyalty of their customers and will eventually loose it.

• Steve May 30, 2011 at 11:03 pm #

It’s called free market competition. If Provo Craft was losing money to these thrid party companies, then maybe they should have started to produce a better alternative. Companies need to change their marketing strategies once in a while…it is time PC thinks about changing theirs. I agree with the coments stating the PC limits creativity by only supplying its customers with the EXPENSIVE cartdridges and designs that PC feels are good, not what the end user would like. Companies come and go… it may be time for PC to go. I sure hope this decision put a big dent in their sales and profits. I sure hope PC has representatives watching these sites and reailzes they made a HUGE error in being greedy and suing these other companies. They sure have lost my business…and ALL of my friends business also. Remember, negative word of mouth “advertising” can bring even the biggest of companies down. Start spreading the word!!!

6. Michelle March 12, 2011 at 11:26 am #

I see there is a division between Provo lovers and those who want to get the most out of their machines. I do own Cricut expression, Design studio, and Sure Cuts Alot. I enjoy all of them. I still buy cartridges on ebay but I also enjoy the sites that are providing SVG files. I don’t feel I am favoring or taking away from anyone. The cartridges help make quicky projects and SCAL allows me to sit and play when I am in a creative mood. I only wish that they could merge so we can bring 2 fabulous products together.

• SarahW March 14, 2011 at 11:17 am #

I totally agree with you! I think that pc should either work with scal and mtc or create the software that provide the things that we love about those programs. I buy cartridges, but some items that I want cant be found on them.

7. JM March 12, 2011 at 1:31 pm #

I’m angry at the comments I’ve read against Provo Craft. They are protecting their company!
    If you made a product and someone else came out with a product that violated your copyright, wouldn’t you do everything you could to protect your product?

If you wanted more control over what you can cut, why buy the Cricut in the first place? There are many machines on the market that can cut TTF and even your own created images that don’t need 3rd party software.

• Patricia March 12, 2011 at 7:36 pm #

JM-
      Companies do it all the time, it is called progress. So PC is not the first company to sue against their competitors, and I am sure they are not going to be the last.

8. Marzee Carnes March 12, 2011 at 4:17 pm #

JM, that is EXACTLY what people WILL be doing. I bought a cricut BECAUSE of SCAL. I looked at all the other cutters available at the time, and liked the design and function on the cricut, so chose it…This is not the first time Provocraft has shown that they are more interested in making money than being customer friendly…Cricut Circle, anyone??? Cricut Cake, and that whole debacle??? These are not the only examples. If they were a customer service based company, and listened to what consumers wanted, they would not need these lawsuits, as their customer base would be loyal.

• Samantha (thescrapmaster) March 13, 2011 at 1:32 am #

I agree! I have started a boycott on my blog. I am so over their greed. . .

• Shana March 15, 2011 at 12:50 am #

Ditto, Marzee! I also bought my Expression BECAUSE of SCAL. If SCAL and all its great features did not exist, Cricut would have one less customer. When my Expression dies, I think I’ll be looking for another brand cutter that supports SCAL.

• Ruth March 27, 2011 at 12:38 pm #

I have pretty much given up on PC ever since the CRICUT CIRCLE event. They seem to be intent in insulting their customers. Instead of announcing the program as special cartridges, special message board, magazine, crops and whatever else was included and if you wanted to join the price was ???????????; they invited special people to join, then these special people could invite other special people to join. What business sense is there to making an elite group instead of selling to whoever wanted to buy. If it were just offered I would have tried it, but not the way it was done. I remember one comment on the message board as someone again felling like the nerd that couldn’t get into the cheerleaders group. Somehow their business sense is skewed.
      I have the Expression, many, many cartridges, Cuttlebug with lots of folders and SCAL. I can get along just fine not buying anything else from PC. I think they are a terrible company.

9. The Scrapoholic March 12, 2011 at 4:39 pm #

I am curious How many people Know that Provo Craft didn’t make the cricut or develop their tools w/out help. How many people know that Pazzle created their machine and tools and the cricut and the design studio is modeled (copied) after pazzle. Though Pazzle did help them create and deveop it. I NEVER see credit given to Pazzle in any of their advertisments or disclaimers. I only see Provo Craft (and NO other company) caring about using SCAL or MTC with their electronic cutters? I don’t recall Provo Craft saying thanks for all of us who gave them “ideas” for new cartridges. I don’t recall them giving me credit when i posted my doodles on their message board for images that showed up on several of their cartridges. I didn’t put them up there for compensation but was a little set off when they didn’t even bother say hey thanks, we are going to use these and announce the fact that the images were in fact inspired or down right copied off of what i had posted. Wether I had SCAL or MTC or not I can’t afford their cartridges so they are only loosing my sales because I have no money to spend. Considering Provo Craft has yet to fix any glitches in their Design Studio program or Gypsy its quite obvious they don’t care about the issues their customers who have chosen to spend their money. I have called and waited extensively on hold to only hear sorry we have no fix for design studio numerous times over the several years I’ve owned the software. So, instead of wasting my precious time on creating in the Design Studio which I paid good hard earned money on and have it crash on me and have files I’ve saved and even backed up end up for no reason going corrupt so there fore loosing all the hours of hard work and creativity down the tube. Which Provo Craft has no answers of fixes for only appologies, which is not making me a happy customer. Yes, I’ve chosen to go with a 3rd party, but I don’t use Cricut images, I use either Disney, pixar and other images that are actually owned by the original party that Provo Craft only has rights to , they don’t own those images ( so does everybody world for personal use) and the other images I either purchase from places like stock photo (which is very rare) or I mostly get royalty free images. While yes some people do use cricut images it is not promoted by SCAL or MTC that I have seen. The reason Provo Craft is loosing their customers is not because of SCAL or MTC but because they don’t care about their customers. I absolutely LOVE my cricut and have sold many at my old job (w/no other compensation than my hrly. wage). however, my next cutting machine will NOT be the cricut. Simply because of their customer service sucks. I get them protecting their company by all rights they can do that and I don’t care that they are suing. Its not why I am choosing to gear away from them more. I hope maybe Pazzle will wake up and stop helping them with out bigger compensation(or start getting compensated) or have them revealing and having to advertise the fact that Pazzle has helped them extensively. I do find a bit of a double standard here from Provo craft. The fact that they are raising prices in a recession is only going to make more people use the 3rd party software. The software is sold and they can NOT take it away from me and they can write new updates to block the 3rd parties, but I don’t have to download them. there are enough created people out there including myself to make svg files. provo craft will only win a portion of this lawsuit not the whole thing. The fact that they use The Cricut symbol to say you can use this software with this machine w/out permission is absolutely wrong on both SCAL and MTC, they have corrected the situation. They will not seize production of either software and many will go to another cutting machine, its already happening with the price increase of the cartridges. I do have to say I do regret buying the cricut and not being more confident in myself and wish i had purchased the Pazzle in the first place because I was looking at both originally. My next cutting Machine will be a not Provo Craft product.

• Samantha (thescrapmaster) March 13, 2011 at 1:35 am #

Amen!! I would love to see your blog if you have one.

• SarahW March 14, 2011 at 11:25 am #

Amen Girl! You said it all. I think it is crazy how they are raising the prices and think that people can afford it. that is why I love scal because I can create my own images, or some other FREE svg files! I would also love to visit your blog if you have one!

10. Ginger March 12, 2011 at 6:10 pm #

I would love to know how their customer services seems like night and day. I have had no problems at all with Provocrafts customer service. I had a problem with my first cricut and they sent me a new one no problem. The same happened when my cuttle bug wasn’t working properly. Brand new machine was sent without a question they didn’t even want my old one. I threw it away because it didn’t work. And I would LOVE to know what glitches there are with the gypsy because I have not had one problem with mine at all, I have been using it as much as possible since I received it for Christmas. As far as Provo Craft thanking Pazzle maybe they have for all we know it is really no ones business. I understand Scrapoholic that you are upset with them because they didn’t give you credit for images. Something would have been nice. I love my Cricut I understand Provocraft’s concern as far as their legal case that is all I was saying.

11. Clare Dempsey March 12, 2011 at 8:19 pm #

I don’t understand PC’s concern with the SCAL. I have SCAL and have close to 60 carts. I buy the carts because I live in a fast food world and want instant images. I use my SCAL when an image I want does not exist in the PC library, or when I want scallops on an image or rhinestones. I understand their concerns about MTC “back Up” and stayed away, because I thought it was not right. But both programs have tools that PC’s software sadly lacks.

12. Amanda S March 12, 2011 at 9:37 pm #

Well, this doesn’t surprise me. I find it a little disappointing because SCAL has such awesome abilities. I WISH Provo Craft would allow you to design your own images. Forget even being able to cut fonts, I often make my own images that I cut with SCAL.

I sincerely hope that this new platform PC is launching will allow you to purchase images & fonts al a carte. If they would sell images in one or even maybe 6 images in a bunch and fonts individually, I would have been happy to stick with them in the first place. I would have happily paid a fair price for a software from PC that would allow me to do what SCAL does. But they didn’t, thus the market for SCAL was present.

I’m interested to see how this turns out.

13. Florida Girl March 13, 2011 at 9:50 am #

Hey Provocraft: How does this differ from YOU putting source code buttons on the new Imagine machine so that people can “steal” exact colors of paper from PaperTrey Ink, Stampin Up, Disney, etc???? You even say on the infomercials that “how many times have you run out of a specific color late at night, now you can make your own…” Whatever, sounds lilke the same thing to me??

• Nancy Nally March 13, 2011 at 10:04 am #

It’s actually not the same thing at all. A color can’t be copyrighted or owned by a company. It’s not considered an original work under copyright law. It’s legal for anyone to use any color. I can’t own “blue” and say no one else can use it to make scrapbook supplies. Computer source code is an original work that can be copyrighted and owned.

14. ScrapperD March 13, 2011 at 9:46 pm #

Provo Craft is jealous because THEY didn’t think of it is what this boils down too. Provo raft your abou t to lose my business because I love my SCAL better after this!!!

15. Kate March 13, 2011 at 10:36 pm #

As a new Expression owner, I have given them a lot of my money in the past 2 months. The machine bundle on HSN cost me $350 and then I went looking for cartridges. I never realized they were retailing for $89. I nearly fell over. I ended up going to Ebay and spent another $250 acquiring 12 cartridges. I am done for a while as I began to see a lot of repeat images and was careful to scrutinize each collection before buying anymore. So, all told the machine and a basic collection of cartridges cost totaled about $600. For that money, the darn thing didn’t even come with the spatula tool or the design software – both of these things should be included with the machine. I then had to buy these so one, I could get my paper off the mat and two, so I could learn how to use it. So, I am now invested in this machine for over $700 by the time I purchased all of the necessary accoutrements.

When I discovered SCAL I loved that I could cut MY OWN shapes. MY OWN designs. This was exciting. This is no way hindered me from buying cartridges or spending money on the supplies. I cannot access any of my cartridges using that software and I was fine with that. It seemed like the best of both worlds – not a replacement of Cricut products, but a nice addition that allows me to fully utilize this very expensive tool.

I will not begrudge any company protecting their intellectual and creative property. However, rather than spend millions on lawsuits, why don’t they spend that money in development on software that offers us what SCAL provides?

Provo Crafts business model seems to be based on nickel and diming the customer. A very ala carte way of thinking that, while perhaps lucrative in the short term, could very well turn these tools into Dinosaurs at some point. There is always someone at the heels of any successful company or idea. They didn’t invent the cutting machine – and their software is certainly anything but cutting edge (ha! no pun intended!). Like I said, they should put the money where it will have the most strategic impact in the long term – and last I checked, spending millions on a lawsuit rarely provides value for anyone. It didn’t really help the music industry now did it?

16. Pa March 14, 2011 at 3:06 am #

Oh lord! How much money does PC need. This company is so dam greedy! I am outraged…they come out with something new every year!!! They started with the baby bug, then The E, after that they changed their colors from plain to bolder colors designs. I don’t know how many women went and bought a new color. Now the cricut #2 is coming out along with the cricut cakes, imagine, gyspy. This is probably one of the most expensive cutting machines ever…blades, mats, cartridges. What’s next…their going to start bullying companies like Crafters Companion because they make products to make mats reusable!!!! Or how about those people who make the gel pens for the cricut machine. I loved my cricut at first, but now looking at how the $ adds up, and PC doing this to programs like sure cuts alot and make the cut, it makes me pretty disappointed with this company. All they want now is money…I want to find a new machine and company that wants me to enjoy crafting and having fun.This is surely something PC doesn’t want for their purchasers.

• SarahW March 14, 2011 at 11:32 am #

I know! when PC comes out with about 14 carts at a time it is CRAZY. who can afford it!

17. Vicki March 14, 2011 at 2:23 pm #

Ok ladies I for one think its important that they keep up with technology and bring out new products. That does not mean we have to buy them. PC products are not collectables they are instruments to create with.

What I don’t understand is if SCAL and MTC are providing such a great product why wouldn’t PC just one up them? They certainly have the resources to offer a similar system through DS that would at the very least allow you to design your own images. OR put out a new program that does the same thing?? Its all about money and somehow they must feel (wrongly in my opinion) that they will loose money on the cart side if they offer the option of free creation??

PS- Nancy think you could get an interview with PC to get some answers on all this??

18. Karen T March 14, 2011 at 2:38 pm #

We would never have bought our Cricut Expression if it weren’t for SCAL. If Provo Craft had offered similar software, we would have purchased it from them. Unfortunately, they chose to stick with cartridges and the cartridges don’t have the kinds of images I’m looking for. This machine was a huge investment for us and wouldn’t have been worth it if we couldn’t design our own images to cut. We would never have bought the Cricut if we were restricted to cartridges. I understand them wanting to protect their copyright, but SCAL offered new functionality. Does Apple go after every company that makes iPhone accessories? It seems like it would have been smarter to work out a compromise and keep the Cricut desirable. Otherwise, those of us who want to do custom work will go after other cutting machines. I know I am following some blogs who are researching their options already.

19. Lucky March 14, 2011 at 3:50 pm #

The appropriate thing for these companies to do was approach Provo Craft with partnership proposal. From everything I’ve seen, ProvoCraft has been very open to end-user ideas and suggestions as well as partnering with users that have great ideas (ex: The Pink Stamper and her wonderful stamps). This product is only five years old and unless you work in the software industry it’s difficult to understand how quickly things change. It seems to me that the new product that is about to release FOR FREE is a step towards offering the things that they have intended from the beginning. How is that greedy? This company couldn’t have known that the demand for their product would be so intense when it released. A company must stay profitable to stay in business and improve so selling is the key to that. You cannot blame them for that. If they weren’t selling, there would be no customer service department to call when we need it. BTW, I have had wonderful experiences with customer service and had my Gypsy replaced without question when it had a pixel issue.

20. Pat March 14, 2011 at 5:36 pm #

The few times I called Provocraft’s customer service I had excellent service – no problems whatsoever. PC just replaced (brand new Expression) with one I had for over two years because the image was not showing on the LCD screen (no questions asked).

Why are so many people upset because PC is suing MTC & SCAL. These two companies are infringing on PC’s copyright because they piggy-backed on their programs (without permission) – similar to the clause most of you have on your blogs/websites about your designs/creations, etc. Do you think this is right that someone should expend their creative time, labor, etc to make these items and it gets copied, sold/published and credited to some else. I don’t think so!!! Be fair ladies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

21. Kathy H March 14, 2011 at 7:34 pm #

Looks to me like there running out of money. They have had problems from the beginning with the Cricut sales. Now with PCCrafter changing/removing there HugClub and them raising the price of carts and all the suet’s got to wonder whats really going on.

22. Lindsay Weirich March 14, 2011 at 10:01 pm #

well, well, if Provo craft spent the same amount of energy fixing design studio as they do suing other companies they would have quite a good product. I have SCAL, used it since it first came out and I love it! I suggest we all back up our SCAL/MTC and do not update DS, Gypsy or try the new Cricut Craftroom when it comes out, I’m sure there will be a sneaky update that will render out 3rd party software useless.

23. Cindy P. March 14, 2011 at 10:03 pm #

I thought they tried to do this a few years ago and it went no where. My understanding is the general operating system the Cricut uses is not copyrighted but a standard operating program. The 3rd party software just taps into that system. So what’s the copyright issue? Their programs do something entirely different with my Cricut then PC offers. You can’t sell me a tool and then tell me how I can and can’t use it. As to other PC issues there have been so many over the years it’s impossible to tell you all of them. I have joined the boycott and it was easy. I’d stopped buying PC products a while back. They are crazy in their business practices and I’ve had enough. My next machine will NOT be a Cricut!

24. B.Rebel March 14, 2011 at 10:46 pm #

They can’t legally deny warranty claims unless they can prove the use of the software caused the warranty issue. See the The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. A bullying tactic. Trying to scare the little guy and the unknowing..
    Second if the software contains no code of Provo how is it copyright infringement.
    Now by passing the copy protection may be another issue tho.
    By Provos thinking you’d never be able to install programs on to windows, add 3rd party parts to your car etc.
    Hope these guys being sued fight them. School yard bullies is all they are

25. Lori March 15, 2011 at 1:08 pm #

Maybe I’m missing something, but I have a question, is this going to affect people that already have Sure Cuts A Lot?

26. Ronnie March 16, 2011 at 11:54 am #

This is a factual statement on copyright and such, please read it, you will see many things come to life and make sense..PC is wrong

27. JoAnne March 16, 2011 at 12:39 pm #

I wonder why PC would be so worried about these companies creating 3rd party software. .Do they not realize that you MUST own the machine in order to use SCAL or MTC?? Hmmmm.. I understand what PC is doing but I don’t understand why they worry so much about cartridge sales.. I still buy cartridges as I’m sure many others do as well..

• Shayla Anthony March 16, 2011 at 2:59 pm #

The issue is that you probably will only ever buy ONE machine…. they want more money than that.

It’s similar to buying a printer. They aren’t usually super expensive – and the printing companies make money off of the ink cartridges – not the printers. In this case, PC is making money off of the cartridges – not the machines.

• W March 17, 2011 at 11:12 pm #

PC could easily offer software with a subscription model while selling digital patterns and fonts for a reasonable price. This would give them recurring revenue, likely far beyond what they are seeing with cartridges. The mfg costs of cartridges and inventory costs is hampering their profits more than 3rd party developers. That’s why video games are going digital. Music has mostly gone digital and movies are next. PC is trying to hold on to an outdated business model.

28. Shayla Anthony March 16, 2011 at 2:56 pm #

The question should be – why doesn’t Provocraft buy SCAL or MTC? Probably because it’s cheaper in litigation fees to shut them down (especially if they win and are reinbursed legal fees) and then be able to make more cartridges or create software that does the same themselves..

It’s a win in the end for PC, even if they loose some customers in the process.

29. MommaOH March 16, 2011 at 9:30 pm #

Well, I for one would not have purchased my Cricut if scal wasn’t available.That program made the scales tip in favor of the Cricut. The company is short sighted in their sales & marketing plan. It is unimaginative and stodgy….I predict this will be the company’s downfall. To attempt to control your customers instead of meeting their needs is not a successful long term marketing strategy. It angers your customer base and motivates your competition. So I hope they have made their money and banked it…not reinvested with this Titanic marketing strategy.

Remember in science class we were taught One of Newton’s Law: An object in motion remains in motion until acted upon by something of equal or opposite external force. Envision a chart showing Provo Crafts’ sales raising in an upward motion, I think this SCAL lawsuit is the the external force that will begin to slow then stop the PC sales. Imagine the inertia it will require for them to turn this around backlash of disgust and anger from it’s customer base.

Use up your machines ladies and start looking for your next machine that is not marketed by PC. I believe Provo Craft will go the way of other companies who didn’t listen to their customers until it was too late …..recently Pontiac, Saturn and Oldsmobile.

Remember don’t upgrade with PC if you value your SCAL.

30. cricutfreeforme March 17, 2011 at 5:05 pm #

Provo Craft created the needed for these programs by not updating design studio and not providing satisfactory customer service. MANY do not agree that someone can be able to tell you what to do with your stuff. Third party software can not void your warranty by law. I can’t remember the act off the top of my head. I

31. W March 17, 2011 at 11:06 pm #

Everyone on here should get in contact with the Electronic Frontier Foundation at EFF.org. SCAL and MTC offer features beyond what is possible with just a Cricut & cartridges, DS, Gypsey, etc. When faced with a little competition, Provo Craft responded by suing these innovative developers. If PC offered similar software, I would buy it and use it. But they don’t. The cartridges are too expensive. If they offered a subscription service or sold shapes for a reasonable price, much like the sites that have sprung up supporting SCAL and MTC owners, I would have gladly signed up. Instead Provo Craft decided to be a bully and faced with mounting legal bills, the developers caved and settled instead of trying to fight Goliath. But Provo Craft is not as big as the collective owners of their products and we speak much louder with our purchasing decisions. Contact the EFF and report PC for stifling innovation. If enough Cricut owner stand up and shout, we CAN turn this around. If not, I look forward to a personal paper cutting device at a similar price that supports the SCAL/MTC with digital files business model. Peace, love, and scrapping!

32. JP March 18, 2011 at 11:54 pm #

I disagree that PC is loosing money, BEFORE the lawsuit and the boycott. I personally would NOT have bought my Cricut if it weren’t for SCAL and MTC. I think it is ridiculous to spend 50.00-90.00 on a cartridge to cut out a few shapes. Unless you are making mass production cuts from that cartridge you are usually only needing a single cut of a design unless you want all your scrapbook pages or cards to look the same. The money I spent for the Cricut, the extra blades, pens, tools, and such were NOT lost revenue to PC. Maybe they aren’t getting more money because I don’t buy cartridges but they got money from me for the initial purchases which WERE a profit. On that note that is ALL they will ever get from me now as I’m on the list to boycott from buying ANYTHING more from them. I know that many of you can’t say that because they have invested mega bucks on the cartridges so they are stuck for life in buying more PC cutters to protect their cartridge investment and that is what they are counting on. And what if some day they make a cutter that doesn’t support your cartridges any longer? Ghee has that ever happened from any company before? Yep, you all just keep buying those cartridges and supporting dear PC.

33. G March 19, 2011 at 11:06 am #

I, like many others purchased my Cricut because of the versatility I had using SCAL software. I cannot believe or afford the price that they charge for their cartridges! For the casual card-making/crafting – why would I invest so much money in their cartridges?? I also own other products from PC – the Cuttlebug for one – so they are making money on other products. I think PC should use “if you can’t beat ‘em – let’s join ‘em” philosophy and WORK WITH MTC and SCAL rather than bully them and sue. I was looking to upgrade my Cricut just this weekend – boy am I glad I read this!! We all need to voice our concerns and BOYCOTT their products – I will! PC needs to wake up and come to OUR level with their products….. TOO EXPENSIVE for my budget!!

34. Jodie Hayes(Pratt) March 20, 2011 at 2:18 am #

I for one am very upset that Provo Craft is cutting off their nose to spite their face- as well as the customers! I have a Cricut Personal ,Expression, and a Imagine and Design studio. I was shopping for a Gyspy UNTIL I heard about the lawsuits- STOPPED me in my tracks. I WILL not buy anything else from PROVO CRAFT- including all accessories and non cricut products they make. SCAL and MTC are programs that EXPAND your machine- they enhance the already great machine. I still buy cartridges, blades, mats and new machines- They allow you to create and cut your own designs and be MORE creative than EVER Possible with a Cricut, Cartridges and Design Studio- or Gypsy all together.. The limits are endless and ANYone that has SCAL or MTC has bought a CRICUT AFTER doing so! I have read the forums on the internet– Provo Craft is committing Business suicide!

I do hope Provo Craft reads the forums and sees that they have cut their throats by doing this to MTC and SCAL. SO many more people RUSHED to buy the MTC software when they lost — just so they could still have it(just never update it)

SO I am mad- upset and FURIOUS that Provo Craft has CUT the Creative juices of Millions of THEIR LOYAL Customers…

Every other post I read in the Forums said they have bought or will be buying another cutter to REPLACE their Cricut( or Crapcut as some people are now referring to it as) I personally have already started looking into the Black Cat Cougar! Resembles the CRICUT- and has several different sizes to to choose from and it embosses and engraves as well as cuts and uses pens. I for one will be going that route.

Provo Craft- HOW STUPID can you really be! Many people sending them back if possible! Donating them to non Creative people that are just too happy to have the cutouts pre done for them and not using their own mind to create and cut whatever they can dream!

BYe Bye Provo Craft! No more for me!

35. Jodie Hayes(Pratt) March 20, 2011 at 2:25 am #

ALso If I remember right- 3rd party software can not VOiD your warranty- Car Companies tries that a long time ago- If you don;t come to use for your Oil Changes– your car warranty is gone- They were told to do that- they would have to provide the Oil changes for free to car owners! And Personal- Why do they care! My SCAL AND MTC are more important to me than my machines warranty! My loyalty lays with the SOFTWARE! not the MACHINE! I can get another machine(NOT PC). I agree with BOYCOTT! I do not believe someone got their machine replaced after 2 years (unless she had extended warranty or something! I have been fighting them with my Imagine since the DAY I GOT IT! and the NEW MATS still SUCK BIG TIME! People need to stand up and stand STRONG against Provo CRAFT! WE CAN WIN this! We are HUGE in numbers!!! HUGE..

36. Carrol Mills March 20, 2011 at 2:49 pm #

I have such mixed feelings on this issue. I completely understand PC wanting to protect their business. However, I don’t see how the courts can allow it. I felt the same way when Ma Bell (after all the innovations, labor, materials etc.. THEY put in place) was made to break up and FORCED to let other companies use their equipment. It’s just not right. Yet the general public thought it was just fine… what’s the difference here?
    I have been wanting to purchase SCAL and feel they hype, but in honesty, I have been afraid to because of PC’s warnings. I LOVE my Cricut machines.
    Lastly, I don’t understand all the comments about the extreme price of cartridges. I have over 100 and normally pay from $15.00 – $25.00 for a cartridge ?? I understand $25 can be a lot of money, but is that really so extreme for what we’re getting?

• Someone Sensible April 18, 2011 at 11:24 pm #

@ Carol…I can understand your sense of loyalty to your machine (esp if you are the ‘plug & play’ kinda person w.r.t die cutting), but just think about it from other people’s view…there are Softwares out there that let you cut ANYTHING, ANY SIZE & do ANY manipulation…that kinda just lets your creativity run beyond any limitations…
      If you can do all that with one machine, why would you spend so much on a machine that essentially “locks” you into their ‘system’?
      even if as you say you buy cartridges for $25 (i believe the retail for $40?), at over 100 cartridges thats $2500 just for cartridges. Count in your machine, blades, mats etc & the total comes to more…but just comparing your “designs cost” (i.e. $2500) alone with machine that prints off a computer, I dont see how it could possible fare better than a Pazzles, Silhouette (which comes with an SD card…a much better system than cartridges IMHO) or a Black Cat Cougar??
      Personally I dont mind spending a little extra time (to learn the software) & a little extra upfront cost if it means I can have limitless designs AND Save costs in the long run too…for me that is like having my cake & eating it!

37. Brian Johnson March 20, 2011 at 4:43 pm #

My fiance and I recently bought a Cricut in order to complete a few projects for our wedding.

I am a professional illustrator, so the idea of being forced to pay any amount of money for art created by other people, to then be used on what is supposed to be a creative tool is ridiculous.

I plan to buy SCAL and finish our work on the cricut because we don’t have time to screw around, but as soon as we are done we are selling our Cricut and buying a machine from a more open minded and forward thinking company.

38. Kathie in Vegas March 21, 2011 at 8:20 pm #

poor PC losing Money???!! Really??!! I have SCAL and I have still purchased most of the new cartridges that come out. If I like them I buy them…I don’t pay total retail for them I wait to find them on sale somewhere. Not only do I continue to purchase the cartridges, I have since given my original Cricut to my father in law and bought the Create, I also own the Expression but think the smaller one is more portable. Now my father in law is buying cartridges too. I also purchase the Gypsy and some sccesories for that…PC isn’t losing any money from me!! :)

39. Andrea March 21, 2011 at 11:15 pm #

I love my SCAL but still use my carts and but my favorites. I even own a gypsy!! This frustrates me too. I agree…. Provo Craft, design your own software for fonts and svgs. Then YOU will make the profit!

40. Shy March 24, 2011 at 3:19 pm #

I own a Mac! So do thousands of other scrappers. I have owned a Craft Robo for years and use Silhouette Studio for free on my Mac! I bought an expression this year because I like the licensed carts like Disney. But Provo Craft is anti Mac and I was about to buy SCAL until this lawsuit. Provo Craft needs to get a better business model and quit cutting so many people out of there products. They are not the only kid on the playground.

41. Ruth March 26, 2011 at 1:17 am #

I love SCAL because I like to use a variety of fonts. Also am a MAC user and PC doesn’t work with MAC. I was recently thinking about upgrading from a Create to an Expression, but definitely will NOT be doing that now!

42. Erika March 29, 2011 at 11:52 pm #

Greed greed and more greed. Sell me a cutting machine, not a lifetime of buying each cut. Ridiculous. Besides, as a designer I prefer to design my own cuts.

I love my Sure Cuts a Lot software. If ProvoCraft successfully wins this suit, I’ll just know its time for me to graduate to a more sophisticated machine.

43. Ashley March 30, 2011 at 2:54 am #

I am saddened by this news. I love my SCAL2 software and I love what it can do with my cricut. I too am an artist and love to create my own images. I have a about 10 carts that I really like but haven’t seen anything I liked in a while so it’s nice to be able to create what I want not what a company wants me to want. They are very expensive and rising in price, eek!, and the quality of the artwork seems to be diminishing as they’re trying to pump out more and more cartridges. I was hoping that Craft Edge would come out with something that allowed the same functions for the new Imagine, I guess that’s down the crapper. I’ve been looking at the new ecraft machine for my next cutting tool.

44. Chrystal April 5, 2011 at 11:05 am #

Here is what I don’t understand. Why isn’t provo craft trying to ally with SCAL instead of put them out of business. The software has already been developed, it works, and is fully functional. Provo craft would save money by working WITH the makers of SCAL, buying them out, or partnering with them, and then selling SVG files in the same way the silhouette machine does. I just don’t get why they can’t work WITH the competition instead of dragging them down, I am DONE with provo craft and will be saving my penny’s for another machine, just because I don’t like what this company is doing.

45. Melissa April 9, 2011 at 11:26 pm #

I just bought the Cricut expression the other day after comparing it to the silhouette. I will return the item as fast as I bought it if they take away SCAL. That is the only reason I purchased the Cricut over the Silhouette machine. And they wouldn’t be losing so much money if they wouldn’t be so overly priced in their products. I guarantee you that for the price their charging it does not come even close to what it costs to make the product itself. Cricut is a greedy company. They will lose alot of customers if SCAL is no longer available!!

46. Jennifer April 15, 2011 at 10:56 am #

I too bought the Circut Cake because if what I knew SCAL could do. I even own the Silhouette and I like it, but I would have to modify it to cut edible material. I own my fair share of carts too, but on a weekly basis i use SCAL to cut things that PC will NEVER make a cartridge for. I see the Cricut as another output device – I have an HP and a Canon printer at home too, but I don’t expect to just be able to print pictures and text that come from an HP or a Canon application.

47. Tassy April 24, 2011 at 6:04 pm #

Hi, I am pretty new to cricut and I would like to know, if you download SCAL and start using it with cricut, and then provocraft announces you can’t use SCAL anymore, can you still revert back to using provocraft software design studio or will your cricut not able to be compatible with any other software.
    Can somebody replies to me please, anyone?
    Thanks

48. Janet April 26, 2011 at 9:02 pm #

I’m speechless, this is the first I’ve heard of any of this. I just bought an Expression several months ago and gave my daughter-in-law an older version of Cricut that I had acquired. I only have 5 carts so thankfully I’ve not invested a great deal there. Since I first began to get interested in the PC products, I’ve marveled at the greediness of this company. Much of the fun in getting a new cart was quickly extinguished for me when I realized that I didn’t have what I needed and that I was going to have to amass quite a fortune in carts to get there. It was very disheartening.
    Then my daughter-in-law told me she had a friend who used SCAL with her Cricut and had made beautiful things with it. So I’ve watched in eager anticipation for a sale on the SCAL. I came so close to buying the program recently, now I’m glad I waited. Thank you to all of you for sharing your knowledge and I too will be boycotting PC.

49. Margret May 7, 2011 at 1:20 am #

I just received a Cricut 2 Anniversary edition as a gift and didn’t know much about it. Thank you! I am sending it back, I told my friend that while it is a great gift, if is going to limit what I want to do.

My old expressions is fine and I love using SCAL since I could never get my Design Studio working and never could get any help from PC but it didn’t bother me because I had SCAL. While I don’t buy many carts, I do buy all the other accessories. PC’s biggest revenue pull are the disposables (ie, blades and mats) because once you start cutting those items get the wear and tear. There are always a group of people who will either swap, sell or trade the carts (there is a scrapbooking store near me that has a library of them that you can rent).

If PC wants to stop a company from making a product that has me using their machine more and therefore purchasing more of the disposables, then I’ll find another cutting machine that allow it. Now, I wonder if they are going to go after the people who have made the parts that allow you to emboss with the cricut. Oh well, more research and a trip to the UPS store is in my future.

50. charity crafter May 17, 2011 at 4:00 pm #

I was on the verge of buying a Cricut Expression when all this litigation came to light, I am on a severe budget due to most of my crafting being done for charity, and the only thing that attracted me to the Cricut was the SCAL programme, I will therefore not be purchasiing the Cricut due to no not having the opportunitiy to have SCAL. I think copyright arguments aside it would make good sense for Cricut to make a similiar programme after all, it is the customers needs that should be met.

I would be very surprised if Cricut sales havent plummetted.

• Nancy Nally May 17, 2011 at 4:51 pm #

The user base of SCAL and MTC is relatively small compared to the overall Cricut machine user base. Sales will definitely not “plummet” from the departure of users upset over this issue, although there may be some minor effect seen.