Make The Cut Settles Cricut Software Lawsuit With Provo Craft

Documents filed in US District court on Wednesday reveal that Make The Cut has reached a settlement with Provo Craft in the lawsuit over 3rd party Cricut software created by Make The Cut. Provo Craft had sued Make The Cut in April 2010 alleging that Make the Cut’s 3rd party software for Cricut machines illegally circumvented copyright protection on Provo Craft’s products and violated copyright on the company’s Cricut Design Studio software code.

Provo Craft had appeared particularly to be targeting in the suit the recently introduced “back-up” feature in the Make The Cut software, which allowed users to create back-ups of their Cricut cartridges. (The feature was only available to users for a two week period in March 2010 before being pulled from distribution as a result of the litigation.)

Terms of the settlement were stipulated to the court in joint documents filed by the companies Wednesday with the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin, which had been hearing the case. Under the settlement, Make The Cut is permanently and immediately disallowed from selling software that is compatible in any way with Cricut machines. The company is also required to destroy all copies of the software’s Cricut-related source code.

For the existing software, Make The Cut also is required to take measures within 30 days to disable the 600 copies that were sold of the software with the cartridge back-up feature. Make The Cut is ordered to render these copies of the software completely non-functional until these users update their software to a copy that eliminates the back-up function.

Provo Craft also recently filed suit against another 3rd party Cricut software creator, Craft Edge, in an attempt to stop distribution of their Sure Cuts A Lot product.

[Editor’s Note: Comments have been closed on this topic because too many were violating our comment policy and the conversation had become too heated.]

, ,

188 Responses to Make The Cut Settles Cricut Software Lawsuit With Provo Craft

1. TA March 13, 2011 at 11:52 am #

and what is even bad it you people who think you are buying things from ebay from special stores/people are really buying from PC direct. PC has opened 5 stores on ebay and sell the cartridges starting as low as $1.00 b4 they even hit the stores. Why can they do this but yet they forbid buyers from using a coupon at box stores. I am so glad I have a Sillhouette SD

2. Karen March 13, 2011 at 11:59 am #

Hey Provocraft…. I’m officially done with you. I bought 2 of your machines, DS (which sucks compared to other software), and own approx. 40 carts. I also own MTC and SCAL2. Since buying the 3rd party software I still have bought carts (and new mats, and blades, and the deep blade housing, etc). You have not done a thing to improve DS to make it competitve with the 3rd party software. Instead you came out with Gypsy, another product rushed to market without working out the bugs or giving the consumers what they want. Users have repeatedly PLEADED with PC for the opportunity to buy individual images, but still nothing has come to market for that. The Imagine hasn’t been selling that great from what I understand, and I’m not surprised. You might as well just buy Jolees stickers if you want the store bought look. I’ll probably keep using the Cricut for what it was intended for… Cricut cuts, at least until the machine dies. But my scrapbooking budget will NOT be spent on more carts… I’ll be buying a Cougar soon.

And for those of you all upset and saying that PC has a right to defend its copyright… I agree, but only to a point. If another company came out with a cutting machine and called it a Grasshopper I’d understand a lawsuit. Our country was built on the concept or mantra of “Always try to make it better” and capitalism thrived as a result. If a company wanted to stay competetive in the marketplace, they had to stick to that mantra. Somewhere along the line companies like PC started thinking only of the “bottom line”, and switched to a methodology of sacrificing quality (requiring more production $) in the effort to “maximize profits”. Well, SCAL and MTC have stuck to the philosophy that made America great, and have cut a niche in the market for their hard work. I don’t think they should be sued, and don’t feel like it is blatant infringement of the copyright. Microsoft allows you to use any software with their OS, computer manufacturers allow you to install any software, add any peripherals like printers, etc. and there are 3rd party products for almost EVERYTHING….gaming systems, vehicles, power tools, you name it. PC is intitled to void the warrenty on their machine, but not to dictate how you use it after you buy it. Suing these other companies shows what a big bully they are. If they embraced the spirit of competition, we’d all benefit from a product we’d truly love to use and filling their pockets with the cash they are so intent to drain from us.

• norma March 13, 2011 at 11:20 pm #

agree totally with you, Karen! Done buying PC products. Looking into the new Lynx cutter coming out soon. Sounds fantastic! Will use my E till it dies but won’t replace it with a PC product. Bought DS and it stinks, never used it!

• Starfish Scrapper March 14, 2011 at 11:07 am #

I agree with you totally. I started out as a bug owner but quickly realized the trick bag I’d be in and returned. In it’s place, I purchased 2 Silhouette machines. I love my Silhouettes which allow me to be the creator and not a lemer that just does as the manufacturer wants me to do. I think in this country, you should have options. If you are computer savvy, you should have the option of going further to like design your own. If you choose not to design your own, you should be able to buy (a cartridge that does it for you). I compare it to making a hamburger at home, to going to the drive through. That’s American freedom! No, I am not a member of the TEA Party (LOL)!

• UC March 28, 2011 at 4:27 pm #

Copyrights on designs that PC has put out is one thing. But saying that their machine- which is basically an X,Y, Z plotter is “theirs” and cannot be used with other software is NOT correct. MTC went over the line when they added the cartridge backup, but otherwise, both SCAL and MTC were just answering the demands of the crafter’s demands.

If you put a USB port on it…..sorry, that’s just the way this world is. PC should have listened to its users more and figured out how to make money AND make personal imagination and craftiness possible.

BTW, I do own a good 20 cartridges and also use SCAL2- it depends on what I’m trying to do. That said, I won’t be buying anymore cartridges if that is how PC is going to act. Once I can afford a new machine, it will be open source (like Firefox browser!).

3. Suni March 13, 2011 at 12:28 pm #

I will stand by PC’s right tpo protect their business.I bought the scal and have NEVER used it because it odidnt suit my needs…I adorre mu PC Products!!!! And the others SHOULD have informed you of their situation that they DID NOT have permission…. Other companies out in the world forbid use of other equipment ( think about it) and will take warranties away if you do it. WHY WHY cant you understand PC is PROTECTING their intersts…M y machines do as they were advertised to do, even my Imagine…and I dont have any BAD things to say about customer support, they have always helped when i have called. BUT I dont ask for the MOON either. they have been more than fair. Only one thing bothers me about ONE PC product…I would like to share my cartridges with my daughter on her gypsy s well as mine…MONEY is tight …Every company is out to make money and prosper….but do it LEGALLY…

• dawn March 13, 2011 at 8:44 pm #

Using pc designs is one thing and would be a violation of copyright. But when you use a generic ink for your HP printer, then no copyright is violated. Bottom line is this was greed, corporate greed. The bully on the block that wants to dominate the market. I’m shocked they haven’t attacked slice or other die cut machines for stealing their idea. Come on please, there was nothing outside the backup feature they really violated.

Do you use a dell printer with your dell computer, or did a lexmark meet your needs more? Same thing pc, get over yourselves.

• chris March 18, 2011 at 10:54 pm #

i agree they have there rights and they can do what they want. i feel it will hurt them though. i also think we have our rights as well. and one right we should have is to be able to unlink cartridges and sell them. its your cartridge that you have purchased so you should be able to do what you want.

• Carolyn Smith April 8, 2011 at 8:43 am #

To each their own in their philosophy or beliefs.

4. Debbie C March 13, 2011 at 1:18 pm #

I love my cricut but I don’t love that they are forcing these companies out of business. We all continue to buy carts, I haven’t heard from anyone that owns either software offered (MTC or SCAL) that doesn’t own and continue to buy carts! The problem is only that if you want to add to your layout with something that isn’t on the carts you have no way to do this. I like to cut things other than what is on my carts but will I quit buying carts….no! So they are really being selfish with this. If they would make a software that would allow us some freedom to create our own thing along with using cartridge images would be great but they are focused too much on it creating less purchasing of the cartridges. Provo Craft we all still love the cartridges so why don’t you team up with these people and quit being a bully and wanting to monopolize this. THis is only going to create people switching to other machines cause lets face it Provo craft has a great product but customer service sucks and this only gives us yet another reason not to support provo craft.

5. Bevie G March 13, 2011 at 3:09 pm #

Honesty folks! Take a deep breath, count to 10 and relax!! ProvoCraft did what every other company in the world has done–and will continue to do–they protected THEIR research, development and investment into a product that they designed, produced, advertised etc…If you really think that other companies that sell tech stuff would not do this think again–Microsoft HAS sued over copyright infringement and so have many other companies ie: Apple, Google and many more–ProvoCraft has every right and an obligation to it’s share holders to pursue violators!

That said–I do think that the carts are expensive and I am irritated that you can’t ever use coupons on their products at the big stores–does that stop me from using the machine?–NO! I just save my pennies and share with my friends.

I think that ProvoCraft should listen to the users of their product more carefully, I hate the design studio software I bought–crashed my E and had to reinstall the older firmware version! I also agree with the people that have issues with the customer service–in my experience it is virtually non-exsistent–but those issues do not make the company wrong or evil or greedy–just not very aware of what the consumer wants. I love my Cricuts and will continue to use them both–I am probably never going to buy the Imagine–just don’t want to deal with buying ink cartridges as well as design ones, but that’s just me!

This will all blow over, and people will continue to buy carts from online sources and from the big craft stores–the people who lose are the ones who jump ship as soon as it all goes south and run away from a proven product to get the latest thing–just hope it all works for them and something like this doesn’t happen to the next company you fall in love with! Good luck folks, but as for me–I am keeping my bugs, safe and snug in my crafting room!

• dawn March 13, 2011 at 8:50 pm #

Really, have you ever heard of HP sueing Kodak because a customer uses that printer over HP printer with.a HP computer. Nope, same concept.

6. MBX March 13, 2011 at 3:27 pm #

PC should’ve have just bought SCAL and/or MTC…

• dawn March 13, 2011 at 8:54 pm #

A merger would’ve been better. I have bought my last cart. As nice as they are they aren’t wow enough to do business with bullies

• Elise March 17, 2011 at 4:24 pm #

Bingo!

7. Dawn W. March 13, 2011 at 6:29 pm #

I guess I can see both sides but am disappointed I won’t be able to continue updates to the wonderful MTC software. I have gone back to the Cricut Design Studio on many occasions and still continue to come away frustrated. I am no slouch when it comes to software but that is the hardest program to use and I don’t believe they have given us an update since it was first introduced. Once I was shown MTC and how easy is it to manipulate, I was spoiled and will continue to use it for as long as I can. My two machines are relatively new and I have yet to learn all the tricks in the latest MTC version I have, so I’m good for awhile. Since I don’t plan to spend money on any more carts, I don’t imagine I will have to update firmware either. My main concern is with the wonderful forums and “CraftyMusician” tutorials that I have come to depend on but I’m sure they will figure out a way to support all of us no matter what versions we are using. My question now is do Cougars ever go on sale???

8. JJ March 13, 2011 at 6:34 pm #

Shame on Provo Craft?? Shame on the companies that are usurping Provo Craft’s rights. It is PC’s legal right to protect their investments and copyrights. Wouldn’t you if it was your product?

These other companies should have gone to PC for permissions and rights. Although, I can’t say I’d be disappointed, I can completely understand their rights. From a legal point of view, I wouldn’t be at all surprised if the SCAL lawsuit ends up with royalties or a fee being paid for usage of the PC codes and copyrights and SCAL staying on the market.

• DEB ROBINSON March 14, 2011 at 6:28 am #

Thank you it is so refreshing to see people posting Provo Crafts rights on this. No I don’t work for them But I do love their products and see their rights in this. No I haven’t always been pleased with them. But they do have rights. I enjoy my cricut and will not stop using it. As other people have said if it was your company you would do the same. No doubt they have ticked off quite a few people but as the other person said they should have approached provocraft.

• Mary HK March 17, 2011 at 7:51 pm #

Looks like Provo craft is clearing the way for their new price increase.

No, I do not have MTC software and did not agree with the back up feature or people posting ways to get around buying cartridges….

But I wonder how many people who are posting their praises for Provo have ever bought a knock off purse, watch, cd, dvd, or look a like product????? Was that OK in their minds?It’s the same thing….

• Lisa March 18, 2011 at 7:42 am #

Hahahaha good point!

9. Edna W March 13, 2011 at 8:30 pm #

i have a cricut and have 110 catr and also other softwear but after seeing what a pain provo is being i wont be geting any more i have 2 cricuts d/s,Gypsy and thay won’t make it better
    to bad we can’t get them for not following what thay told us thay would do when we got them tell you what there word worth.
    soon thay will tell what we can make

10. Polly March 13, 2011 at 10:45 pm #

I wonder what would have happened had this actually gone to court? Apple has brought several suits against people for “jailbreaking” their Iphones, but the FCC recently ruled that “jailbreaking” is NOT against the law. What people do with their phones is their buisness. I feel the same way about the Cricut machines. Cricut should have never put a USB port on the back of their machines if they wanted to be a cartridge based cutter. They added the USB ports in order to bring out their own software which is a piece of junk.

• Polly March 13, 2011 at 10:46 pm #

By the way, I own an Expression, DS, and over 135 cartridges along with both MTC and SCAL.

• Jennifer March 14, 2011 at 1:40 pm #

Exactly!!

• Ronnie March 17, 2011 at 12:48 pm #

you are right, seems most of their promises and product are not as they are advertised, so instead of fixing or updating, they come out with something new to take the focus off all the problems, design studio to Gypsy, to Imagine, to online craft room doe designing, they cant keep their message board running how they gonna handle thousands of people online designing and saving projects.

• UC March 28, 2011 at 4:34 pm #

You are SOOOOOO right! We think the same way. Printers work from any computer, and basically, the bug is a cutting printer. Not going to ditch my bug or my cartridges OR my SCAL.

11. Kelly Moore March 13, 2011 at 10:49 pm #

If you are looking to boycott ProvoCraft, there is a nice Facebook page started: http://www.facebook.com/BoycottProvoCraft

12. Lori Brown March 14, 2011 at 12:40 am #

I’m so glad PC was kind enough to give me an Imagine – I will never again update the firmware on my Expression and will continue to use it for MTC. Now that the Imagine finally does what they promoted it as being able to do, I’m glad I never got rid of my E. I am one of the mad but not irate customers that will probably continue to buy the occasional cartridge when I can afford them, and when they fit my style (which is MUCH less often lately), but I am going to continue to put my MTC software to good use. I am not really talented enough to design many of my own files, but I am happy to be able to buy (or get the free ones people are kind enough to share) designs that fit my style more than the same-old stuff that PC keeps putting out.

I’m sorry they’ve had to take the Apple approach to 3rd party software instead of the Microsoft approach. This doesn’t really equate to printers as many people are comparing; it better equates to a computer and software (or a gaming system and games). PC would have been much better off with many of their customers by offering to license MTC for their product, or trying to buy them out. They would have still gotten what they really wanted, which is our hard-earned money, and they would have left a large portion of their customer base MUCH happier.

• Mikila Gomez March 14, 2011 at 7:10 pm #

I think if they could have bought out MTC or SCAL, they would have messed all the work that Andy and Todd worked so hard on.

• Lori Brown March 16, 2011 at 12:06 pm #

Completely agree, lol!

13. Manon Chartier March 14, 2011 at 8:20 am #

we are a few Canadian users discussing this news. Yes it’s frustrating for a company other than making money with their product but they just create a program that allows you to change the cartridges and use the stock computer.

I’m sure Provocraft would not have much money if other software did not exist, I’m the first to raise their hands more. I bought a machine just competing with the cricut because we could not help with the computer.

Once I learned that other programs existed, I threw myself into buying the machine. Yes I have another program but I buy the cartridges that I like. My wallet would never support buying the cricut and all cartridges. Like too diverse for that.

14. Robin Smith March 14, 2011 at 9:32 am #

Just curious – what happens if we never update our firmware? If all I’m going to buy are cartridges (already have Gypsy), why would I need to update firmware? I don’t have MTC but if I did, I would consider this option.

15. Michelle Ferris March 14, 2011 at 10:55 am #

I agree with most people who have posted here. PC has rights, BUT they would have been better advised to work out the archaic kinks in DS rather than sueing MTC or SCAL who only provided a MUCH needed program for us to enhance our Cricut use . People don’t buy what they don’t need . I purchased SCAL first and had np working with it and I am no techie! Then I purchased DS from PC and cursed it from day one. It is one ignorant, difficult program to use.
    I fully expected PC to update DS but nope, that has not happened. I refuse to get a gypsy. Just another money grab. Same with Imagine , from what I have heard and read , a poor performer at best.
    I have gone from 10 carts when I purchased SCAL to 40 carts. WHY ? Because it is easy to cut with them. Has PC suffered from SCAL ….. NO and I highly doubt they suffered from MTC either.
    If anything ,their sales would have gone up with the ease of use of these programs. This is just my opinion for what it is worth.

16. Vicki March 14, 2011 at 11:58 am #

So glad I heard about this. I was just about to buy an Imagine. But, I will be spending my money elsewhere….with a less greedy company.

Remember, PC….we do have choices! I choose not to spend my money with you!

17. Tammy March 14, 2011 at 2:08 pm #

Why am I not surprised. Provocraft disgusts me. I will never buy another of their products. So greedy. They lost me when they refused to support the Wishblade after a Windows change. I guess they thought I would spend another $600 on a newer model.

Then they undercut the lss by selling the Cricut to the bbs.

While they’re a business and are only looking out for themselves, they will not be stepping on me to get anywhere.

18. Garrett March 14, 2011 at 2:41 pm #

Recently, the US District Court declared Jailbreaking iPhones legal. This same decision could also be used to countersue provocraft from rendering third party applications void with their hardware. I would suggest anyone with a legal background that is against this action by Provocraft to pursue it. http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2010/07/feds-ok-iphone-jailbreaking/

19. Carol March 14, 2011 at 3:23 pm #

PC/Bank of America just cut off their noses to spite their faces. People are running away in droves…boycotting PC products. Why can businesses just think money and not customer service, giving their customers what they asked for….when they do, they have stellar results. This is just going to backfire. The Boycott Facebook page is over 750 members strong.

Carol …who is waiting for someone to make and sell “Boycott PC” tee-shirts

20. CF March 14, 2011 at 4:08 pm #

Provo craft just lost a long line of customers. My family were huge on cricut and MTC between just the 3 of us in our home, we have everything item cricut offers. But not for long. They are on sale on a local classified ads, because none of us want anything Provo craft in our homes.
    We get together with 75-100 ladies every month and scrapbook. We usually have about 50 or more cricuts there. But I guarantee next month there will be a lot less, because most of them are following us and going to sell there cricut to some other poor sole that can deal with provo crafts BS.
    I hope soon they realize that they made a huge mistake, Out with the old, in with the new. They can keep their crap.

21. Starr March 14, 2011 at 5:58 pm #

I’ll start by saying their products are generally good. I wouldn’t blame them for protecting their research but as another person mentioned they don’t accept coupons, they don’t listen when we plead for certain content carts, and they are very restrictive when it comes to their products (like if you load a cart on your Gypsy, you aren’t allowed to sell it, even with the statement that it’s already been loaded.) I’d like to point out, they played a little loosely themselves. I bought a Cuttlebug when I first started getting back into scrapping because the beauty of it was at the time it was the one machine that could work every die out there. They even came with plates and directions on how to use other companies products in their machine.

22. No More PC Products March 14, 2011 at 7:13 pm #

I am not going to slam anyone here, except to say that I am done with Provo Craft and all their products. They are one of the most unresponsive company’s out there and have no clue how to put out software that really works. Design Studio is the biggest joke that PC came up with and until MTC came out was useless out of the box. I actually purchased ANOTHER Cricut machine after MTC and I believe 12 more carts since then. They are all going to be sold including my machines. I will be moving to a machine that IS compatible. I feel sorry for Provo Craft. They are going to lose BIG in the end. Anyone want an E with 40+ carts???????? Selling CHEAP

• Tina Hartung March 16, 2011 at 4:49 pm #

let me know prices

23. Linda March 14, 2011 at 9:31 pm #

I bought the Cricut solely because MTC existed. Without MTC, PC wouldn’t have gotten my money. I’m someone who prefers to create her own designs instead of purchase carts for an ungodly amount of money that I just don’t have.

My next cutter will be another brand.

24. Karen March 14, 2011 at 10:57 pm #

I held off buying a Cricut machine because of the horrendously overpriced cartridges (that never go on sale for reasonable pricing or with coupons). My husband told me about the Sure Cuts A Lot (SCAL) program and that is when I bought a Cricut Create, which I later upgraded to an Expression. My Cricut along with SCAL has opened the door to my scrapbooking creativity. I do believe that if ProvoCraft decided to work in conjunction with the third party software programs they would expand their clientele exponentially. More people would be open to purchasing the cutter, cartridges, and the availability to be more free in designing their own die cuts. As an example of product loyalty, I have a friend whose tendency is to purchase everything as it is announced, she has about 40 cartridges, Design Studio, SCAL, and a Gypsy and will not give up cartridges. I really feel ProvoCraft would only benefit from a consolidation of ideas and would be better served by exploring the possibilities rather than a lawsuit.

25. Heidi March 15, 2011 at 4:28 am #

oops PC just lost a sale of their new E2 Cricut. Too bad! Should have drug this out till the new release was over. I almost bought a new machine and turned a friend into a cartridge collector as well. :(

26. Ann Leach March 15, 2011 at 5:15 am #

I just want to say I will be looking into buying the cougar cutting machine and will try to sell my cricut expression and cartridges. I think P C may find they have shot themselves in the foot. I seldom use my cricut as the cartridges are too expensive.

27. Teresa March 15, 2011 at 11:00 am #

I would not have bought a Cricut if I could not have used SCAL with it. While I agree that copying cartridges is a violation of copyright, if Provo Craft ever succeeds in preventing Cricut owners from using 3rd party software, they won’t get any more business from me.

28. AJ March 15, 2011 at 12:11 pm #

I am now very niffed, Carts are so expensive in the UK, thats after we have had to pay inflated prices for the actual machine, A baby bug is £150.00 on special, Creat is £230+
    Most cartridges are £39.99 at least.

Come on PC if you want our business you have to help a little

• Mary HK March 17, 2011 at 8:02 pm #

I read somewhere that PC is increasing the price of their cartridges….wonder how tht will affect the overseas people?

29. FC March 15, 2011 at 12:38 pm #

UGH!!! I am so mad about this! I’m sorry but if I pay for an item I should be able to do whatever I want with it. I love MTC! I still bought carts eventhough I had MTC.

PC mentioned that if we use third party software it voids our contract and many of us have accepted that. Why take out ability to use these third party softwares if we’re willing to take the risk to void our contract?

We want MTC! We want MTC! We want MTC!

• Mary HK March 17, 2011 at 8:06 pm #

what good are their warranties…..my baby bug stopped working after using it 10 times! When I called them, they said that I would have to mail it back to them at my expense (I live in HK) and maybe they could fix it and I would have to pay shipping back.

Well, I had an electrician friend take a look at it and he was able to fix it. He said that the mechanism under the on button was very flimsy….he had to sodder a new switch on it to fix the problem. I paid him $50 buck to fix it….it was a steal!

30. Laura March 15, 2011 at 4:21 pm #

I have been pro-Provocraft since the Cricut came out. With this settlement, they’ve forced me to make a choice. I choose MTC. PC did NOT get a win here. The courts did NOT side with them. It was settled, which I imagine had more to do with financial confines, as opposed to legal merit. The bottom line is, very few of us could go up against PC and be able to finance a defense.

There are people who like coloring books, and people who like blank paper. A cricut is a coloring book. I prefer more freedom to create, so I want a blank piece of paper. I like to color in the lines occasionally, but would never give up my blank paper. PC has forced me to choose. I choose freedom. In our free market society, we have choice. There are MANY other cutters on the market who not only allow 3rd party software, they encourage and embrace it!!

Buy a US Cutter, buy a Gazelle, buy a Black Cat Cougar. You will NOT be disappointed with lack of customer service or empty promises ever again. PC has shown what they will produce year after year… a great idea, with substandard follow through and NO support. PC will continue to give you what you will accept. Expect more for your dollars and quit accepting junk!

How long will it take PC to be sued for their new Imagines ability to steal images from patterned paper? Hello Pot, this is Kettle.

• Lori Brown March 16, 2011 at 12:12 pm #

I don’t understand this? What ability to steal images from patterned paper? I have an Imagine, and have never seen anything similar to what you are talking about… I don’t get it.

• UC March 28, 2011 at 4:42 pm #

Here, here!!

31. Lisbeth, UK March 15, 2011 at 5:16 pm #

I live in the UK and, after some months of careful consideration, bought my Expression and 4 Cartridge bundle at Christmas. I have added a further 4 cartridges. My purchase came about as a result of the SCAL information I came across on the web whilst looking for files for my Craft Robo. I love my Expression (and my Robo) and welcome both cartridges and SCAL2 which I use in my card making. The cartridges are extremely expensive here so much so that I have had to buy from the auction site. PC should have taken on board the SCAL and MTC expertise. It if were not for SCAL I too would not have bought the Expression.

• Mary HK March 17, 2011 at 8:10 pm #

Even the US government is smarter than Provo Craft…..when they find computer hackers, they hire them and use them to protect their systems….and they hire crooks all the time so they can figure out how to prevent future frauds.

32. eileen March 15, 2011 at 5:21 pm #

I love my MTC and will not give it up. I will replace my cutter.

If you haven’t been to yet, stop by

33. Julie March 15, 2011 at 8:49 pm #

I purchased my Cricut when they first came out and have been relatively happy with it. It does annoy me that the cartridges often have a lot of stuff on them that I don’t need and as a result I only have 4 cartridges; just couldn’t justify the purchase of more when I only liked a few images on them.

Saving my pennies for a Silhouette…

34. lyssa March 15, 2011 at 10:58 pm #

Provocraft is a bully!

35. lyssa March 15, 2011 at 10:59 pm #

I’m looking into selling my cricut and buying a better gazelle of cougar

36. Alicia Hambrick March 16, 2011 at 1:03 am #

Shame on PC for being so stinking greedy. Shame on them for trying to stifle our creativity and force on us only the designs they feel we should have. I have all the Cricuts except the cake and Imagine, which I feel is a piece of junk just to exploit more money from us. In my opinion, the Imagine is nothing more than a glorified sticker printing machine. It shows PC’s failure to communicate and serve their customers by trying to convince us that the Imagine is the answer to creating our own designs. The designs look like cheap, elementary dime store stickers and we are still locked into what designs they want us to have and spending even more on expensive cartridges that are not even compatible with their other machines. I teach papercraft casses where my students only use Cricuts, their cartridges and Makes The Cuts religiously. I have always promoted PC and my students spend a lot of money on Cricut products. But I have watched PC’s greed continuously escalate. So, I will be switching out Cricuts for machines that use 3rd party software and will influence my students to do so as well. Just a note if anyone will also be switching out their machine(s). Do some research and be careful what you buy because PC makes another cutter outside the Cricut name – I believe it’s the Pazzels or eCraft.

• Mary HK March 17, 2011 at 8:13 pm #

I thought I read somewhere that Provo purchased the rights to cricut handware from pazzles and that it is Pazzles that has put this limitation on Provo…..not saying that Provo is a great company….but, if this is true…perhaps there also needs to be a boycott of pazzles?????

• Mary HK March 17, 2011 at 8:13 pm #

oops that should say “hardware”

• NIna March 18, 2011 at 11:58 pm #

I believe the Pazzles cutter came out before the Cricut. I just got one last year and from what my research revealed it is not associated with PC.

AND I got it because I was tired of paying outrageous prices for cartridges! PC wants to dominate the market, that is the bottom line!

37. Linsay Ross March 16, 2011 at 5:52 am #

I am just so surprised a large company like provocraft doesn’t improve there Design Software and have the files(cartridges) available electroncialy. I for one would still be using provocraft products if I had more choice of a better software and electronic files. I cant even see their books (I am 67). So my reason for loving MTC is freedom of use of my skills and computer and Lettering Delights svg,s which include a clear PDF copy of Images. Provocraft you need to get up to date and spend your profits on improving your technoligy instead of suing the small guys.

38. Erin March 16, 2011 at 8:53 am #

How surprising that PC took MTC to court. God forbid anyone should try to rock the monopoly that PC has over the scrapbooking genre and provide a competition. Instead of suing them, they should have bought them out and expanded their horizons. I find the cartridges to be very limiting. I LOVE my MTC software! There’s no way I could have created the things that I have with their dopey, boring cartridges. I just don’t get why PC limits the way people use their products. You can’t control everything PC! Give it up!!! Maybe move your focus to providing awesome products instead of focusing on who’s copying you or trying to make YOUR products better without YOU making a buck on it.
    Losers.

• Mary HK March 17, 2011 at 8:16 pm #

I worked for the telephone company back in the days when they went thru deregulation….other companies were allowed to use our lines to sell cheaper long distance products and later the cable companies started selling local phone service! I don’t get this lawsuit at all or the settlement.??????????????????

39. Karen March 16, 2011 at 10:20 am #

I am very disapointed in PC. I have an Expression, lots of carts, a Gypsy, DS, and MTC. DS is not all its cracked up to be. The MTC software opens new doors with my creativity. The carts are very limited and often have the same images. I too think they should have worked together for the betterment of their customers. I will not say that I will not purchase more carts, however, this will make me think twice before I do. I understand their right to protect their business, but they should have thought of their customers. I am disapointed that MTC will no have any updates or new images. PC customer service is OK, but I have been on the phone for over 30 min waiting for an answer, and then I had to call back weeks later to ask where it replacement was. PC needs to think of their customers and make a merger.

• Mary HK March 17, 2011 at 8:18 pm #

How much do you want to bet that the Cricut Craft room or whatever this new online wonder is ends up using some of the very features that MTC has? It will be interesting to see how this new online designing room will perform.

40. Lois March 16, 2011 at 5:22 pm #

What ever happened to giving the customer what they want? PC could have prevented this by giving us what we wanted instead of just attacking the companies that do. I won’t buy another cart if I have to give up paper scrapbooking! I do a lot of digital which is alot cheaper.

41. Mary Ann T March 17, 2011 at 6:59 am #

I felt compelled to comment on this topic even though I’m not big on adding comments to blogs. I am very disappointed by the results of this lawsuit. On the one hand I support Provocrafts efforts to protect their cartridge designs. I don’t think Make the Cut should have sold software that sounds like it would basically allow someone to buy one cartridge and distribute copies of it to anyone they wanted to by “backing it up”. However, I don’t see why my Cricut is any different than my PC. I can buy any brand of PC and I can use any software I choose on it (there are numerous Microsoft court cases that ensure that). That’s the way it should be with the cutting machines. The Cricut machine is only different from other cutting machines because of the cartridges, they all use basically the same mechanisms to perform the cutting. I have purchased many cartridges for use with my Cricut and still purchased the Sure-Cuts-A-Lot software, primarily to give me more flexibilty to use true type fonts for page titles. Sure-Cuts-A-Lot does not interface with my Cricut cartrides at all and for those I also purchased Cricut Design Studio. I think ProvoCraft would serve its customers better by licensing third-party vendors. I am hopeful Sure-Cuts-A-Lot can fight the big guy, but I will keep my eyes open for a different machine and in the future will definitely get rid of my Cricut. In the meantime, no more cartridges for me. As I see it, that’s the only meaningful way to show my displeasure.

42. Ann C March 17, 2011 at 12:19 pm #

The ONLY way any of us will have an impact on this problem with PC is to really STOP purchasing anything from them. We know how to restick our mats so we don’t have to purchase them………..and we know how to sharpen the blades to make them last longer. Are there any companies that sell replacement blades that will work. That way we are not bound to PC in any way. BUT we have to remember that cuttlebug folders and such are also PC….remember not to purchase them as well.

• DM March 17, 2011 at 2:20 pm #

Yes, you can purchase from a company called SeikiTech (www.seikitech.com) and they have an Ebay store also. They come in 5 packs and I think larger packs. Get the 60 Degree (Red) ones. They are superior to the PC Cricut ones. They also are very reasonable.

• Mary HK March 17, 2011 at 8:21 pm #

Thank you so much for this info….I have been looking for this for awhile but could never get an answer on some of the discussion boards I posted on….

43. viviane mallett March 17, 2011 at 1:15 pm #

My gut instinct about PC was right. Did’nt like the Cricut nor most of the images on the cartridges, nor the high pitch sale which went with it when a shopping channel regularly promoted the products.. Always had the feeling of greed and grasping when it came to PC, their inflated prices their “closed up” attitude (i.e everything had to be a PC product to work with another PC product) towards us crafters (easy prey). Their website is not user friendly and is more like a fotress to access. Having wanted to owning a cutting machine for a long time, I decided to carry out a web search and came across MTC. Well, that was it! the answer to overpriced cartridges which was putting me off the Cricut.I purchased MTC and gave in and purchased the Expression with 4 cartridges in the bundle. Gradually my resistance to cartridges waned and I purchased more. The ONLY reason I bought my Cricut is because MTC (what a brilliant product) existed. I think PC owes MTC royalties because without this software I would never have bought a Cricut,nor cartridges. So, rather than limiting PC products and profits, MTC actually helped widen them. FOOD FOR THOUGHT, PROVO CRAFT…..

44. Gael March 17, 2011 at 7:49 pm #

PC – shame….shame….shame…. I do not understand how this could happen when there are similar precedents out there that have concluded in the interests of the consumer.
    What next? will PC find a way to stop people using 3rd party embossing folders with the cuttlebug?
    I’m off to join the boycott, putting my cuttlebug (which I am sentimentally attached to) up for sale and replacing it with the spellbinders and a big shot pro.
    And as for a digital cutter, I think I am now sold on the c-craft.

45. W March 17, 2011 at 11:04 pm #

Everyone on here should get in contact with the Electronic Frontier Foundation at EFF.org. SCAL and MTC offer features beyond what is possible with just a Cricut & cartridges, DS, Gypsey, etc. When faced with a little competition, Provo Craft responded by suing these innovative developers. If PC offered similar software, I would buy it and use it. But they don’t. The cartridges are too expensive. If they offered a subscription service or sold shapes for a reasonable price, much like the sites that have sprung up supporting SCAL and MTC owners, I would have gladly signed up. Instead Provo Craft decided to be a bully and faced with mounting legal bills, the developers caved and settled instead of trying to fight Goliath. But Provo Craft is not as big as the collective owners of their products and we speak much louder with our purchasing decisions. Contact the EFF and report PC for stifling innovation. If enough Cricut owner stand up and shout, we CAN turn this around. If not, I look forward to a personal paper cutting device at a similar price that supports the SCAL/MTC with digital files business model. Peace, love, and scrapping!

• DM March 18, 2011 at 8:57 am #

It would be soooo nice if the Cougar would come down in price….so many of us would take the plunge to purchasing it. I just can’t justify the high costs of some of these cutters. I hope I can continue to use my E but if and when it dies I am hoping these other cutters are not as costly.
      Any advice on different 12 x 12 mats?

46. Michele J March 18, 2011 at 1:53 pm #

Wow, how disappointing. I was going to purchase MTC when I got my tax refund, but now not sure if I should? Will I be able to use it if I purchase it now? I love my E and Gypsy and still find things on carts that I like and still purchase carts, but I viewed MTC and everything that went with it as an enhancement to my Cricut. I would have thought ProvoCraft would have been happy to say, “Yes, these are the products we offer, but look at what else you can do with our cutting machine.” Lots of possibilites, which, for crafters, isn’t that the bottom line? We are all about possibilites and it seems as though PC is wanting to close doors instead of open them. I really don’t think I could continue to support a company like that, which is even more disappointing since I have been very happy with their products that I do have.

47. VickyR March 18, 2011 at 5:33 pm #

PC won a battle but will lose the war. PC apparently hasn’t heard of Microsoft. Microsoft created a demand for their products by allowing third-party products to be compatible. Microsoft was making a lot of money, the last time I looked.

This is a very bad move by PC which shows that they would make bad business decisions that can jeopardize their ability to stay in business. I will not invest any more PC products, since I don’t believe that PC will remain in business much longer.

48. Jenna March 18, 2011 at 6:41 pm #

I really hope Cricut understands that they are running their business out. Half of the people that buy a Cricut buy it because there is amazing software out there to use with it. By doing this they are losing a LOT of business. They are making millions just on the machines anyway. I for one will not buy another Cricut, MTC was amazing and my next machine will be one that can use MTC.

49. Mary HK March 18, 2011 at 10:50 pm #

I wonder what will happen to Provocrafts sales of cartridges (older ones) when some of the people start flooding ebay with the ones they are getting rid of?? And also the machines: Yes, I have seen several people who are Pro provocraft say….Yes, that is great, go ahead and sell all of your cartridges, WE will get really cheap prices….but do they realize that when they buy from a private seller, their money is not going to Provocraft??? thus hurting Provos overall sales???

I can’t help but think that Provo has had to look at all of these aspects….and still think that they are bound by some non compete clause that they signed with Pazzle when they bought the hardware rights…..lots of behind the scenes stuff to consider.

50. NIna March 18, 2011 at 11:47 pm #

I own a Cricut, bought mine when it was released and was oh so excited, especially when I learned that it would be compatable with my PC….yeah right. DS stinks and I hate it. I hate the fact I am tied to a cartridge.

I now own a Pazzles. I love it, I love the software. I will keep my Cricut, but will never buy another cartridge because I have a Pazzles and it does everything I want and need and I don’t need a cartridge to accomplish it!

Provo Craft in my opinion lied to the consumer or their reps did, my Cricut does not do a margin of what I was told it would do or would be able to do in the future, shame on you PC for not keeping your promises to the consumer.

AND don’t get me started on this policy with the box stores about not being able to use a coupon! I’m surprised that in this economy that their product sells as well as it does.

I’m also surprised PC hasn’t gone after the consumers that have shared with other Cricut owners their tips and tricks to extend the life of the matts or blades……come on! I read somewhere that someone considers PC to be a bully!

Yet they do have every right to protect their “rights” or patents, BUT as many of you have stated what gives them the right to tell me how to use a product that I own. Especially when they cannot or will not provide the consumer with a product that does what SCAL or any other software program will do.

Just my 2 cents!