Trend Watch: Rosettes

As the new year gets underway and winter CHA products are revealed, there is an obvious trend that continues to grow and flourish: Rosettes. Whether made from crepe paper, ribbon, or patterned paper, they are a hot item to purchase and make. Something I like about them is that they can be used as a circle embellishment, as a center to a larger embellishment, or as a flower. They don’t have the super feminine look that flowers so often do, and the colors and designs can vary from a bright and graphic look, to a more vintage and soft look. In other words – rosettes can be made to suit most any style!

(shown above: American Crafts)

To see how rosettes can be used in something besides a scrapbook layout, check out this Jennifer Gallacher tutorial on making cupcake toppers on the American Crafts blog.

Rosettes are created from strips that are either folded, crumpled, or otherwise pleated into a circle. It’s simple enough to make your own, though I tend to find the process time consuming unless you’re going for a more rustic crumpled look. Here is a link to a great vintage rosette tutorial video by Lain Ehmann.

To make your own folded paper rosette, you’ll simply need to fan fold a strip of paper. I find this tends to be tedious. I never can keep the folds the same size (without considerable amount of effort and time), and the look is never just right when I’m done. When I want to make this style of rosette, I reach instead for my Tim Holtz Alterations rosette die.

If you like the convenience of the die too, you’ll be happy to hear that Tim recently showed a sneak peek on his blog of a new (smaller) rosette die coming soon. So there will be more size options available for those choosing this method of making rosettes.

For a full how-to on using the die, I recommend Tim’s how-to video for his rosette die, as well as a custom rosette video where he doubles up the die cuts to make a bigger (very cool!) rosette.

The Girls’ Paperie has some cool crepe paper layered rosettes available, and I’ve heard that in 2011 the Girls’ Paperie will be one to watch for more vintage inspired rosettes. In fact – as a design team member – I’ve been able to work with some new designs already, and I believe they’re going to be a hit!

In researching for this article, I also found these new K & Co. ribbon rosettes. So lovely! I am excited to see not only new products featuring rosettes, but also more tutorials and project examples with handmade ones popping up on my favorite blogs.

I have been wishing rosette ribbons would start to pop up, and Jenni Bowlin just released this sneak peek of ribbons coming soon. So fantastic! They will be available in several colors, and are already at the top of my wish list.

To show how I put rosettes in action for my own personal style, I created a layout featuring a few of my favorite photos from my girls’ recent meeting with Santa to share today:

Supplies:
Fancy Pants Tradition flocked transparency and buttons
The Girls’ Paperie Tinsel & Twig alphabet stickers, snowflake rosette, and chipboard letters
American Crafts City Park rosette sticker
Tim Holtz Distress Stickles in Rock Candy
Hipstamatic iPhone application
Scrapbook Adhesives by 3L foam adhesive squares
other: rhinestones, kraft cardstock, black pen

From childhood pages filled with whimsy to vintage inspired pages, and for every color out there, there’s likely a way to make a rosette work. I’m sure that the rosette trend is here to stay for a while. It goes so well with many other existing trends (such as banners, vintage, etc) and the materials and options are nearly endless – I’m glad to play with them more this year.

Do you like this product trend? What is your favorite way to put rosettes to use? Please feel free to share with us in the comments!

[Disclosure: May Flaum does design work for The Girls Paperie and Tim Holtz.]

Apple iTunes

Disclosure

, , , , , , ,

17 Responses to Trend Watch: Rosettes

1. Sharon Osborn January 18, 2011 at 11:26 pm #

Great article May! I’ve been enjoying using the rosettes to make magnets for the fridge. They are the perfect size, and can hold a strong magnet on the back.!

2. Julie January 19, 2011 at 12:30 am #

Love the rosettes. Seen them all over. Going to attempt it, but I too find faning paper tedious. I’m going to give it a try anyway. Julie

3. KS Derby January 19, 2011 at 7:23 am #

I haven’t used a lot of rosettes but I must say, I’m a bigger fan of the rosette than the flower so this is a trend I can get behind.

4. Libramom January 19, 2011 at 9:06 am #

I like the rosettes .. but all that I’ve seen – I can make….which works for me.

5. Melissa S. January 19, 2011 at 9:42 am #

I’ve loved this trend since it started!!

If you have a score board (the Martha Stewart one at Michaels is a steal if you have a 50% off coupon), it’s really easy to score the paper strip so that the folds are even. Tim’s die looks amazing, though- I might have to look into that!

One of the Martha Stewart blogs has instructions for making some extremely intricate ones using border punches- http://thecraftsdept.marthastewart.com/2010/12/paper-medallions.html. Pink Paisless posted directions on their blog before Christmas, too- http://pinkpaislee.com/2010/12/12-days-of-christmas-day-12-trim-the-tree/. Just in case anyone is looking for more rosette inspiration. Can you tell I love these?!?!

Awesome article, May!! And congrats on the promotion!

6. Vicki January 19, 2011 at 3:49 pm #

They are alittle bulky–ie my paper folding skills need improvement! and done in the right colors you can get away with using them on BOY pages…. I need to work on some more of these! Thanks May for the reminder.

7. Tona January 19, 2011 at 5:59 pm #

I love the rosette trend! I have used them as flowers/embellishments on packages & cards.
    If Tim hadn’t come out with the rosette die I never would have made any because the measuring/scoring thing is just to tedious for me & takes the fun out of it.

8. Jen Clark January 20, 2011 at 1:28 am #

I adore rosettes, made from any and every kind of product…and use them on just about any kind of project. I have and use the TH rosette die, but there are still plenty of times I use my MS score board when I want larger rosettes. I am really excited about the new TH mini-rosette die coming out, too!!

9. Gab January 20, 2011 at 3:17 am #

Ooh I love that LO May. That flocked transparency looks really pretty. I’ll have to look out for Tim’s rosette die – I’d like to have a go at making my own

10. Brenda Jones January 20, 2011 at 4:19 pm #

GREAT article, May. Re the Jenni Bowlin rosette ribbons, you can pretty easily duplicate that look by using the following 3 paper punches by the Paper Studio: 1 7/8″ scallop edge circle, 1 7/16″ scallop edge circle, and 1″ scallop edge circle in the papers of your choice.Cut 3 pieces of coordinating ribbon approximately 6″ long. Choose a brad for the center. Stack the three circles and punch a hole in the middle of them with a push pin. Use the push pin to also create a little hole toward one end of each of the 3 pieces of ribbon. Push the brad through the stack of circles and each piece of ribbon and fasten. Spread your ribbons out and trim length if needed. Adhere to your project. This is what I’m gonna do, giving me the freedom to have rosette ribbons perfectly coordinated to my projects. Hoo, feelin’ the urge to make one right now. Gotta run. Thanks again, May, for this really great article!! ;-)

11. LoveRibbons January 21, 2011 at 3:57 pm #

Great article May – loved all the links! Loved the layout of your girls. Wish I could figure out how to use these on a layout for boys.

12. Charity Donaldson January 26, 2011 at 6:50 am #

I am loving the rosette kick myself, it took me WAY too long to get up the courage to try them, they are so not as hard as they look LOL! TFS!!

13. Laura January 26, 2011 at 9:02 am #

Speaking of the Tim Holtz rosette die, can anyone give me any information on if it will work in a Sizzix big cutter or the little Sizzlits cutter? I have both and would rather not invest in another cutter of similar function (ie: Tim’s suitcase lookin’ die cut machine). I think the die would be a nice investment if it will be useable without getting another machine. The rosettes look like something that could go in so many fun directions depending on paper/pattern/size and center embellishment. And I agree that fan folding on your own without a scoring board is tedious, time consuming and frustrating when folds aren’t even.

• Nonnie January 30, 2011 at 12:52 am #

laura…it works in the sizzix bigshot just fine and the little sizzlets cutter if you have the long pads that you use with a sizzlets strip die…it is made by sizzix just like their other sizzlet dies.

14. Juile M February 11, 2011 at 7:37 am #

I just love the rosettes I can’t stop making them , nothing leaves my house without them , its one of those things that goes with everything .

15. Sharon February 16, 2011 at 5:39 pm #

Has anyone had any problems with Tim Holtz’s Rosette die cutting through the paper instead of scoring it? I have tried several weights of paper and am using the proper cutting pad length but I keep getting perforated lines that start to tear during folding. The problem isn’t quite as bad on heavier card stock but is still an issue. Any workaround ideas will be appreciated.

16. Amyscats March 13, 2011 at 1:19 am #

I’ve been noticing the rosettes in various scrapbook magazines, and just made 20 patriotic ones for a paper clip swap. I used my Martha Stewart score board because I needed the 1/8th inch scoring. This is the first mention I’ve seen of the Tim Holtz Rosette die cutter – interesting. I was actually thinking that for very large rosettes, you could use a crimper. Granted, making 20 tiny rosettes began to get tedious, but I did them at a crop, so all the conversation distracted me and made it easier. I love the look, and plan to utilize them (one or two rosettes at a time, though!).
    Nice article, May!