iScrapbook: iphone as a Traditional Scrapbooker’s Tool

I am not a tech kind of girl.  I will never be the kind of person who knows what is new and exciting in technology. That said, I appreciate and enjoy the technology and tools that I do choose to use. This summer I argued against the switch to the iPhone, but eventually my husband’s arguments (and my dying old phone) won me over, and I found myself thrust into a whole new-to-me world of technology.

How am I doing? I adjusted fairly quickly, and while I will probably never be the typical iPhone user, I am finding it exceptionally useful as a scrapbooking and crafting tool. I’m not alone in looking at mobile phones as potential tools in crafting either. Pink Paislee has posted free mobile phone wallpapers based on their Hocus Pocus halloween line. {One shown on my iPhone below} I would love to see more companies do this sort of thing, and I’d love to have scrapbook product-inspired wallpapers on my phone all the time! That is just one way that traditional scrapbooking is joining with my mobile phone. In August, I joined the iPhone nation. Since then, because it has a camera capable of print-quality photos, I’ve been evaluating how I have (and can in the future) use this camera feature to the best of my ability.

The ways I utilize it so far are:

• Take photos where I wouldn’t normally have a camera (at school, restaurant, store, random locations)
  • Grab photos of inspiration for my crafting
  • Snap photos for my blog, Twitter, and Facebook to aid in my memory keeping
  • Create videos for blogging and short tutorials

Recently I printed out my first batch of photos from my iPhone, and while I could clearly tell the difference between those taken with the phone and those taken with my Nikon D60 DSLR camera, I was still pleased with the results from the phone. The images are, for the most part, better than any photos my parents took of us as children. The quality is there in the technology, and if used in the right circumstances it can create photos to cherish. Now, none of mine are going to win photography prizes anytime soon, but that’s ok! I love the moments and details I can now scrapbook. I love that in the grocery store my phone became my camera and I caught some cuteness, and that when I had a dinner date with my husband I wasn’t hauling out my big camera to take photos. Instead I slipped my iPhone out of my tiny purse.

I do have some suggestions for those of you looking to scrapbook more mobile phone photos.

• Remember to assist the camera. My iPhone4 lets me click the screen and ‘focus’ on my subject. I also make sure to get the best possible lighting when I can, and not try to take tough shots and expect the camera to get it perfectly.
  • Set it down. Whenever possible I set the bottom of my phone down on a shelf, desk, ledge… anything. The more stable the phone, the better chance of a clear image.
  • Check the settings! Make sure the camera is set to take large enough images, and that you’re not going to wind up with web quality only photos.
  • Don’t try to replace your regular camera with a mobile one. While I will be using (and loving) this feature on my phone, it can not compete with my Nikon D60. If your mobile phone is actually a better camera than your real camera – that’s a different situation. For me, I have a nice camera that I dearly love and it will still be coming along on all big events, family celebrations, vacations, and any time where I would normally use it.

I am just getting started with this, and I know there’s a whole world of possibility spread in front of me. Having a print quality camera with me almost all of the time hidden inside my phone is a wonderful thing, and I’m making the most of it. From craft store antics with my girls to sharing photos of my current works in progress on my twitter account – and even the short videos I’ve been posting to my blog – this phone is a tool I see improving my paper crafting life.

If you have tips or ways you use your phone to assist you in crafting please do share!  As a high tech phone newbie, I’d love to hear about it.

21 Responses to iScrapbook: iphone as a Traditional Scrapbooker’s Tool

1. Terri January 8, 2011 at 3:36 am #

I enjoyed your article May, especially since I, too, have discovered the camera phone. My husband wanted the family to get new phones a year ago and I was quite reluctant; that is, until I found the Sony Ericsson by AT&T with a cyber-shot 8.1 megapixel camera. I love having a camera always with me now and it almost rivals my Canon digi rebel XTi for quality. Thanks for sharing.

2. Duckienz January 8, 2011 at 3:55 am #

Listening to the paperclipping round table!

3. Bev Leeson January 8, 2011 at 5:47 am #

WOW does May get time to breathe in between all this. She sounds like a very busy lady…….
    I am going to go and look at her Blog now.
    I still consider myself a novice at Crafts but I do wonder when reading some Blogs and realising all that these people do WHIST also often running a home and young family, Is there such a thing as Craft Burnout.I just admire these women so much for all that and then all the sharing that they do. I don’t know of another hobby or Community anywhere that is as sharing and caring as the Craft Community and for that I am certainly very grateful.
    Okay off to the Blog.
    Kind Regards,
    Bev. L…….

4. Bev Leeson January 8, 2011 at 5:49 am #

Oops sorry Nancy, I meant to add. That I hope you are looking after you and your Daughter, and don’t forget you have a lot of Support out here. just a click away really…. Stay Proud Hun…….
    Bev. L.

5. Gab January 8, 2011 at 5:58 am #

I love the videos you’ve been posting on your blog May!

6. Maureen January 8, 2011 at 8:35 am #

I did a year in the life type project using a years worth of iphone photos. I had them printed 3×3 at scrapbookpictures.com with a white border. I found printing them smaller, improved the quality of the image and the shape and border added a bit of charm.

7. Juliana January 8, 2011 at 10:13 am #

I just entered the new phone age as well and would love to see more scrapbook apps for Droid phones!

8. Amy January 8, 2011 at 10:39 am #

I don’t know about the iPhone 4, but with the 3G you can capture a screen by pressing the menu and on button at the same time. I would love to see more write ups on some of the apps available for SB and card making. I’ve been begging for someone to have a card sketches app-how cool would that be! I hope to hear more of your ideas with the iPhone.

9. Ron Perry January 8, 2011 at 11:00 am #

Club Scrap (clubscrap.com) also produces free wallpaper for both your computer and iPhone/iPod Touch every month. The wallpaper matches with it’s monthly scrapbooking kit.

10. Denise January 8, 2011 at 11:31 am #

I don’t have an iPhone. The closest I come to anything like it is my Nook Color and it doesn’t have apps ability…yet. :)

11. Maxine January 8, 2011 at 12:06 pm #

There are some pretty cool apps for scrapbooking too. I love one called “Scrapbooker.” It’s a database for your scrapbooking supplies. So when I’m out shopping and not sure if already own that embossing folder or Cricut cartridge, I just whip out my phone and check my database! You can enter all the info about the product from manufacturer to price, plus a picture!

12. Michelle in Texas January 8, 2011 at 7:06 pm #

My husband & I have said for a long time, “The best camera is the one you have in your hand!”

13. Sue in Grapevine January 8, 2011 at 8:02 pm #

I’m using a free app called Project 365 to help me w/a pic of the day for my Project Life.

14. Laura January 8, 2011 at 10:30 pm #

My cell phone camera (not an iPhone — AT&T doesn’t have good coverage where I live) saved me on the day of my daughter’s Christmas play at church. I forgot my point-and-shoot and took shots with the camera. They’re not spectacular, but are, honestly, much better than I though they’d be, and they’re going on the scrapbook page. :)

15. Lynnscraps January 9, 2011 at 2:22 pm #

I just got an iphone for Christmas from my husband (he’s determined to get me into the 21st century, dragging and kicking)! I would love to see more info on using it for scrapbooking——once I get thru the 200+ page manual!!! Thanks for the great article, May, I hope there will be more.

16. Kim January 10, 2011 at 3:38 pm #

you need to try the Bazzil App – fun to play with,
    I’m installing the “Scrapbooker” app right now – Thanks Maxine!

17. heather p. January 11, 2011 at 9:59 am #

Tho’ I don’t use an iPhone (I lose my phone about twice a week….so mine is cheap cheap cheap!) I did receive a surprise iPad for Christmas!!! LOVE it and would love to see my scrap apps. I’ve only tapped into about 2% of it’s capability (just loading it up with the basics…pdf reader, rss, iWorks, a fabulous grocery list app ;)…and the like)…makes me giddy just thinking about it. :) thanks for the post May!

18. heather p. January 11, 2011 at 10:00 am #

…I meant “MORE scrap apps”….haven’t had coffee yet…. :)

19. Karen C. January 13, 2011 at 11:14 am #

May, What have you found to be your favorite iPhone photo apps? I would love to hear what they are. Thanks, Karen :)

20. Maritza January 14, 2011 at 11:33 pm #

Dont forget to download the Jo-ann’s app and you will never be without a coupon. I have recently downloaded it and used it several times already and love it!!

21. Angel January 19, 2011 at 4:51 pm #

The eScrap App availible in iTunes…there is a free version too!