Family Tag Feud: Day 1

Unicorns…Yeti…husbands who scrap. Mythical beasts, right?

Not in my house! Since he started working full time for Scrapbook Update earlier this year, my husband Mike has been learning a lot about scrapbooking. He decided to take his new knowledge out for a spin and join me in the project I wanted to do making Christmas tags in the Tim Holtz 12 Tags of Christmas tradition. The results, after a little practice and a few experiments, have been amazing. Mike has learned incredibly fast and we’ve been having tons of fun together.

Mike has gotten so good, in fact, that there has been some good-natured trash talking going on about whose stuff is better. But…we have the perfect solution! Tagging with the Stars? Scrapbook Idol? Whatever you want to call it…we’re going to have some holiday fun and let Scrapbook Update’s readers vote!

Each day for the next 12 days (starting right now), we’ll each share our tag and you all can vote at the end of the post using our poll widget.  Each day we’ll declare a winner based on the reader vote and at the end the winner of the most days is the champ! That should be good for custody of the remote control for a few days, at least!

So, here we go…

Tag #1: Mike

Supply List:

#8 White Tag, American Tag Company
Tim Holtz Idea-ology Lost & Found Paper
Tim Holtz Idea-ology Adage Tickets
Prima Marketing Mulberry Paper Flowers
Tim Holtz Distress Ink Pads in Victorian Velvet, Tumbled Glass, Aged Mahogany & Frayed Burlap
Ranger Stickles Glitter Glue in Frosted Lace & Rock Candy
Hobby Lobby Natural Jute
Brads

Tag #2: Nancy

This tag is a tribute to the holiday album just released by the cast of Glee!

Supply List:

Alterations by Tim Holtz for Sizzix Tag & Bookplates Die
Tim Holtz Idea-ology Lost & Found paper
Tim Holtz Distress Ink in Antique Linen, Tattered Rose, Tea Dye & Black Soot
Ranger Fine Detail Emboss Powder in Clear
Tim Holtz Idea-ology Tissue Tape in Symphony
Stampendous “Music Score” wood-mounted rubber stamp
Anna Griffin “Calisto Christmas” Felt Stickers
Staples Matte Photo Paper
Designer Digitals Holiday Game Cards by Katie Pertiet
Tim Holtz for Tonic Studios Paper Distresser
Tim Holtz for Tonic Studios Craft Scratcher
American Crafts Glitter Buttons (Earth Tones)
Martha Stewart Crafts Baker’s Twine (Multi Color)
Offray Straight N’ Narrow Ribbon

So…

[poll id="3"]

53 Responses to Family Tag Feud: Day 1

1. Mike Nally December 2, 2010 at 12:30 am #

Ahem. (Couldn’t help but notice I didn’t get to add my little editorial description of my tag in the article so…)

MY tag, while not based on a hit television show, is instead a symbol of two people coming together and forming something greater than themselves. Loving, Living, Hoping together on a journey called life? A patchwork of each others lives coming together to make something great. Keeping each other warm even through the cold of winter’s ice. See it? Two small flowers becoming a greater thirds flower? A family.

Too much? :-)

• Cynthia Arwood December 2, 2010 at 10:13 am #

No, not too much at all! I have to say, I like the meaning behind your tag. Really cool, actually. And I think it’s awesome that you are having fun making stuff. What a gift to get to share in that with your sweety! I’ve been listening to Paperclipping’s Roundtable all year, and Nancy has only good stuff to say about you. And it’s cool she voted for your tag.

I’m echoing everyone else though, keep the tags anonymous for a more fair vote, but do tell the inspiration behind the making of them.

Looking forward to more tags!

2. Lisa December 2, 2010 at 12:37 am #

I love it! I’ve been so interested in seeing the results of Mike’s stamping endeavors. Both of these tags are great – and I love the descriptions too. I just have a … thing… about poinsettias so I had to go with Nancy this round.

I can’t wait to see tomorrow’s tags. And soon you guys will be sharing step by step tutorials, right?

LOVE IT!

3. scrapper al December 2, 2010 at 12:55 am #

I think it might be fun to vote for tag 1 and tag 2, and then find out who did the tags later. Thanks for the including the supply lists; they are always helpful.

• Mike Nally December 2, 2010 at 1:06 am #

That’s a cool idea! Maybe we’ll make tomorrow a mystery tag day?

4. Courtney December 2, 2010 at 3:27 am #

I love that you have made the tags into a competition! I just have one suggestion~i would leave off who made which tag and just call them tag #1 and #2. Subconsciously, I still have kind of a childish “girls are better than boys” attitude and I think that will make me a little biased when voting!

5. Maureen December 2, 2010 at 3:34 am #

I agree that the tag creators should not be identified, and their ID #’s should not be the same every day either, so we don’t develop an affinity for one person. This will be fun!

6. LINDA F.J. December 2, 2010 at 3:50 am #

IT WAS HARD TO DECIDE BUT HAD TO GO WITH NANCY TODAY BUT MIKE DID A GREAT JOB TOO.

7. Gab December 2, 2010 at 4:06 am #

What a fun idea! I think it would be great to have anon tags too!

8. Lesa Livingston December 2, 2010 at 4:36 am #

Both of the tags are wonderful! I did vote for Mike because his flower went off the page, LOL. A blind vote would be very interesting! Please try it.

9. kathy s December 2, 2010 at 5:12 am #

I like both tags but mike got my vote because his has flowers and is a bit more dimensional- To make it a fairer contest I suggest you just put the tags up without a name so we are no influenced by bias.

10. Bev Leeson December 2, 2010 at 5:48 am #

I had to go for Mike but only cause I don’t watch Glee… I also would go with the no identity thing I think it could prove a very interesting contest this way…
    Cheers,
    Bev……
    btw. I did like your Tag too Nancy……..

• Nancy Nally December 2, 2010 at 8:57 am #

No hard feelings. I voted for Mike too. ;)

11. Lisa J December 2, 2010 at 7:31 am #

I love this idea and can’t wait to see what you two come up with for each tag. I think both tags are wonderful so it was a tough decision on this one.
    I too like the idea of posting the tags anonymously.
    Cheers!

12. Karen December 2, 2010 at 7:39 am #

What a fun idea!! Hope it doesn’t get too tense at home!!! I agree about the no names! I had to vote for Mike this time – I loved his background and the tags and flowers were great!!

13. Teri December 2, 2010 at 8:06 am #

Mike has my vote, like the dimension on the tag, it makes me feel warm and cozy inside when I look at this tag. The other one is just a tag, nothing exciting.
    I like Mike’s theory behind his tag also, great job Mike!

14. LindaBabe December 2, 2010 at 8:07 am #

I thought it was interesting that Mike’s tag got in touch with his softer side, whereas Nancy’s tag was more – oh, I guess ‘gender neutral’ might be the word I want. Love them both but voted for Nancy’s. I’d like to see them just identified as 1 or 2 and not by name until after we’ve voted.

15. Jessica December 2, 2010 at 8:17 am #

I like Mike’s tag today. I love the glimmer/shimmer and the flowers. But what made me smile the most was the words love, live, hope. What a great sentiment for our lives. And I felt that way even before I read Mikes description! lol Two minds with one great thought! :)
    Yours is nice too Nancy, but I’m just not into bingo cards. Maybe tomorrow!
    What great fun it must be to create together! You’re a lucky couple!
    Hugs and Merry Christmas

16. Betsy Burnett December 2, 2010 at 8:19 am #

I loved them both!!! I agree…do a blind vote on tomorrows post! Nancy loved the music score stamp… Mike…love the message of live love hope it’s where I have been at right now

17. asby December 2, 2010 at 8:49 am #

Both tags were beautiful, but I voted before reading Mike’s explanation. I was looking at them as Christmas tags, and Mike’s struck me more as a Valentine’s Day tag. However, he did create a beautiful tag. I agree that you should leave the names off and just number the tags.

What a fun idea for a contest! Nancy, you have my vote for luckiest wife in that you have a husband who will scrap with you! Lucky, lucky, you!!!

• Nancy Nally December 2, 2010 at 9:01 am #

He’s definitely a very special guy. I am so lucky to have had the past 20 years with my soulmate, and we have a beautiful daughter to show for it.

18. Wendy Myers December 2, 2010 at 8:51 am #

How fun is this? Can’t wait to see what you come up with

19. Tam December 2, 2010 at 9:03 am #

What a blessing to have two people who love one another creating together! You go Mike, I’m in your corner!!!

20. Bobbie December 2, 2010 at 9:11 am #

Great job on both! I like different things about both tags but I ended up voting for Mikes tag because I think he did an excellent job with the glitter and I love glitter :) Cant wait to see whats next!

21. kim December 2, 2010 at 9:16 am #

love them both…but my eye kept going to mike’s. I just love the face that he’s doing it.

22. Candy December 2, 2010 at 9:26 am #

So hysterical! Keep it up!

23. Izzy December 2, 2010 at 9:26 am #

I like Mike’s even before I read his description! I too have a husband that scraps and crafts with me and it’s awesome to know there are more “unicorns” in the world! Go for it, guys! If real men can eat quiche, they can scrap too!

24. Jennifer Earley December 2, 2010 at 9:47 am #

Great job guys! Next time please make the tags anonymous…easier to vote that way. Love your thinking of the tag Mike…that just made me like it even more! Sorry Nancy…Mike’s got my vote this time!

25. Laura December 2, 2010 at 9:58 am #

Both tags are great. I gave Nancy the nod because I am enamored of the current trend of using music in papercrafting (and am also a Glee fan, which didn’t hurt). But Mike deserves a round of applause as he’s a newbie and did great. :)

26. Kathy K December 2, 2010 at 10:10 am #

Loved both of the tags, but had to vote for Mike. I love all things glittery… I vote for making the tags anon until after you vote.

27. flowerdisco December 2, 2010 at 10:19 am #

I voted for Mike…….it is something about his I like a bit better that yours Nancy :( I am so very sorry but Mike wins in my eyes this time, lol.
    Happy Holidays!

28. Grammy KaRo December 2, 2010 at 10:46 am #

I have to vote Mike just because I’m really impressed with him actually doing it! And making it look good!

29. Renee Lecatsas December 2, 2010 at 11:08 am #

Mike – I love your creation your doing a fantastic job. (Sorry-I voted for Nancy.) Remember you are new to this don’t get discouraged just forge ahead and have a wonderful time! I can’t wait to see what inspiration you can give me tomorrow!!

30. Holly Denghel December 2, 2010 at 11:23 am #

Wow, you aren’t making it easy!!

31. Nati December 2, 2010 at 11:28 am #

These are great, I can’t wait to see who wins. Also, I don’t think you should post who did which tage, this way we won’t be bias. :) Have fun with this challenge, thanks Mike, now we scrapbookers can use you as an example for our husbands to give scrapbooking a try! LOL

32. kathleen.summers December 2, 2010 at 12:24 pm #

Oh, I love the game card on your tag, Nancy. But I had to go with the glitter and layered flowers on Mike’s! How cool that he’s doing some of this now. You must be a great teacher! Love his card! And the fab description of his inspiration too.

• Nancy Nally December 2, 2010 at 12:30 pm #

I can’t take credit for teaching him very much…just a few things, mostly in response to specific questions he had. He’s been YouTube-ing all of Tim Holtz’s videos! And as everyone knows who’s seen him do it, Tim is a fantastic teacher. After watching him show you something, you can actually do it!

33. Angela December 2, 2010 at 1:47 pm #

Please don’t hate me, Nancy. Mike wins this round

• Nancy Nally December 2, 2010 at 2:01 pm #

Hate is such a strong word, Angela…LOL (shh, don’t tell…I voted for him too.)

34. Vicki December 2, 2010 at 2:24 pm #

So does this mean you get to do 2x the scrapbook shopping at your house???? the little wheels are turning in my head!!

Seriously though– love Mikes tag– but voted for you Nancy because I love the music papers.
    In all the crafting projects my dh and I have done together– my dd wedding– jewelry making, and furniture upholstry I always find him to be better than me… I think its because he takes more time than I do…. sad– and I would never tell him!

35. Cynthia H December 2, 2010 at 3:16 pm #

such a fun idea and how cool that you get to scrapbook together!! they are both amazing tags. Way to go Nallys!!!

36. Mellany Carver December 2, 2010 at 3:54 pm #

What fun? I love the idea. Might have to borrow that idea for our next getaway crop.

37. Mary L December 2, 2010 at 4:24 pm #

It was seriously a hard choice since i liked both…I went with Nancy this time but, Mike, it was only cuz there wasn’t a “both” choice.

38. Keitha December 2, 2010 at 5:22 pm #

After listening to Nancy talk about this on PRT I didn’t think it would be so hard to choose, LOL. But I’m a die-hard Gleek so today Nancy got my vote – no contest. Mike definitely gets an honourable mention for both his dimension, and having stuff hang off the edge.
    Remember, take no prisoners!

39. Tammy Dailor December 2, 2010 at 5:56 pm #

Love your tags – both Nancy’s and Mikes, but I’m gonna have to go with girlpower on this one. I’m loving the Tim Holtz tissue tape and I just picked up a Hero Arts cling music stamp and have been stamping it all over the place. So Nancy gets my vote today. But I’ll be checking back to see what Mike comes up with next.

40. Missy December 2, 2010 at 6:01 pm #

aww!~ I voted before i read Mike’s little passage. That would’ve changed my vote!

41. Sheila December 2, 2010 at 9:55 pm #

I think that you should not tell which tag is Mke’s and which is Nancy’s it would make the voting a little more interesting.

• Mike Nally December 2, 2010 at 10:39 pm #

You and a few others have suggested this great idea Sheila. Tonight’s tags will be anonymous!

42. Vanessa B December 2, 2010 at 11:24 pm #

I think both are awesome! But Ive got this thing against poinsettas too so even though I dont watch Glee either, LOL! Cant wait to see this “contest” evolve :-) Happy Holidays!

43. Judy L Dickerson December 3, 2010 at 7:33 am #

love Mikes tag…pretty good for a mans view .I like the flowers and his meaning of the design

44. Michelle M December 3, 2010 at 9:20 am #

heehee…you guys are crazy! This is so cute …wish my hubby would try some crafting with me. I’ll be sure to vote everyday! and I like the anon idea better too…keeps the playing field even !

45. Linda Leonhardt December 3, 2010 at 2:35 pm #

I like Mike’s Tag # 1 better!

46. Lyneen December 3, 2010 at 9:53 pm #

Mike it is great to see you involved in the tag making. I has a card making class a couple of weeks ago and had a couple in it. John was the only guy. It is great to see more people creating together!!! YOU GO GUY!