Etsy & HGTV Partner For The Holidays

HGTV has announced that it is partnering with handmade marketplace Etsy to produce holiday content that features creative handmade products sold on Etsy.

The home and garden network says it will be featuring Etsy sellers for gift and DIY decorating ideas on the “Handmade Holidays” section of their website.

There will also be a holiday television special airing on HGTV featuring Etsy sellers. “15 Fresh Handmade Gift Ideas with Michelle Beschen” will be an hour long and begin airing after Thanksgiving. According to posts made by some of the Etsy sellers selected for the show on the Etsy forums, it is unclear to them whether the Etsy sellers whose work will be featured will be named, or whether the show will just credit Etsy in general.

Some sellers discussing the partnership on the Etsy forums have expressed concern about the fact that HGTV seems to be presenting Etsy content in a DIY framework to their readers/viewers, telling them they can do the crafts themselves instead of having to purchase the items on Etsy. However, many sellers seem to believe that the exposure for Etsy will be a positive for them overall.

9 Responses to Etsy & HGTV Partner For The Holidays

1. Deanna November 11, 2010 at 1:25 am #

When Martha has had Etsy sellers on it seems she has had the same setup – showing how the items can be made by the viewer. But I bet a lot of people see all the steps and decide to just support the Etsy seller after all!

2. flowerdisco November 11, 2010 at 8:29 am #

Interesting! even if the show how to make them step by step not every ones is crafty or have the time or patience, lol. I believe it is a very good exposure to every etsian.

3. Jenn November 11, 2010 at 8:40 am #

I was on the craft show circuit for years, and people would come by my booth and whisper to each other about how they could do that… and they always came back the next year and purchased. One lady told me how hers just didn’t look as good as mine, no matter what she did. So I always encouraged them to try it, told them where I got my materials, knowing that there’s a lot of skill and artistry involved. Sure, a few people would pull it off, and that’s fine. The rest of them were devoted customers after the attempt!

• Mary L November 11, 2010 at 9:58 am #

That’s the right attitude Jenn!

4. Linda B. November 11, 2010 at 10:08 am #

I will be keeping an eye open for when this airs. I hope HGTV will not only mention the artist name, but also their Etsy shop as well. I always go to HGTV’s website to view the information page for a particular show to get additional information such as correct spelling of guests name, if I want to do more searching on the web, and/or links to webpage/blog.

5. Denise November 11, 2010 at 5:49 pm #

It’s nice to see that Etsy is getting exposure to the masses. Many creative people will get exposure from the airing, not just the ones on the show. It’s a good thing!

6. Nancy Grant November 13, 2010 at 1:41 am #

I think it’s really cool that a main stream network would be target the creative and unique Etsy. It will put the spotlight on so many creative artist and their stores! Not to mention making Etsy itself more mainstream. Can’t wait to see how it all plays out.

7. Jaimee November 21, 2010 at 1:51 am #

One of our Silhouettes is “supposed” to be on the show. But we haven’t heard of a set air time yet…if someone finds out, PLEEEASE drop me a line and let me know :) I’d love to actually see it on air!

8. Jaimee November 21, 2010 at 2:00 am #

I SPOKE too soon…just found the schedule on their site!
    It airs PRIME TIME Friday Nov. 26th @ 7:00pm & Friday Dec. 26th @ 7:00pm
    I’m keeping my fingers crossed that you can actually catch a glimps of my work on TV