CHA Abandons Winter 2011 Supershow Plans

The Craft & Hobby Association has abandoned plans to bring a consumer show to California for a second straight winter.

Tentative plans to bring a second Craft Supershow to California alongside the CHA Winter trade show in January 2011 were described to CHA members at the CHA 2010 Summer show in Rosemont. The plans called for the Craft Supershow to be held in Anaheim from January 21st-23rd, followed by the trade show in Los Angeles from January 29th-February 1st.

The holding of the two shows on consecutive weekends instead of on consecutive days as was previously done was met by most potential participants less than enthusiastically. The planned calendar resulted in several days of downtime between the shows, requiring participants to either foot the travel bill for “vacation” days whether they wanted them or not, or to travel back and forth to California twice with about 48 hours at home in between trips. Remaining in the area for the entire time of both shows, including set-up, would require two weeks of travel time away from home – and two weeks of travel expense. The use of two different venues was also less than popular since it would have required everyone to pack up and move locations in the middle of their trips if they were doing both shows, a huge logistical challenge and flat-out hassle.

Given the logistical challenges and poor reception, CHA is apparently opting to shelve the plans to hold the Anaheim Supershow in 2011.

Supershow fans can rest easy, however: the Supershows are not dead. CHA sources tell Scrapbook Update that the Supershow concept itself is not being retired, just the January plans for California, and that plans are being examined for possible future Supershows.

Going to CHA Winter 2010 in Los Angeles? Get a copy of Frommer’s Los Angeles 2011 from Amazon.com for $12.23:

10 Responses to CHA Abandons Winter 2011 Supershow Plans

1. Deborah October 5, 2010 at 4:11 pm #

Thanks Nancy! I was holding off on my travel plans until this was confirmed! Now I can go ahead.

2. stumpedagain October 6, 2010 at 8:05 am #

great and valuable update. Thanks.

3. Betsy Burnett October 6, 2010 at 8:19 am #

I can’t say I’m surprised at the poor response. Their initial plan really made no sense (especially with the change of venues thrown in.)

4. Stacey October 6, 2010 at 10:12 am #

The LA venue is horrible. Ugly, scary and not at all like Anaheim!

• Quesak January 25, 2011 at 2:42 pm #

Hi I begg to differ Stacey,

If you have not been downtown in the past several years, I think you will be pleasently surprised! There has been an amazing transformation of the LA. Convention Center and the surrounding areas. I”m actually contemplating purchasing a loft in one of the surrounding downtown communities. In ten years the Downtown Los Angeles has changed so dramatically, you won’t even recognize it. I love L.A.

5. Robyn October 6, 2010 at 11:21 am #

It will be interesting to see if this works or doesn’t work.

6. Julianne October 6, 2010 at 2:19 pm #

Really disappointing that the format couldn’t be like last winter, where the Supershow and CHA were conducted in the same venue and on consecutive days.

I do take exception to the comments that the LA venue is “ugly and scary”. I work two blocks from the convention center, LA Live is adjacent to the location, Lucky Strike bowling alley, many restaurants, Staples Center, etc. It has changed dramatically in the past 5 years and those two adjectives are honestly the last two I would use to characterize the location. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but having gone to many conventions in my career, I don’t think that’s a fair or accurate description.

7. scrapper al October 6, 2010 at 4:48 pm #

That’s a bummer for those who were looking forward to the show. Glad to hear that they haven’t totally abandoned the concept. That was really bad planning on CHA’s part…two different weekends and venues? What were they thinking?!!

8. Missy October 7, 2010 at 2:38 pm #

Nancy, Do you have any information on CHA Summer 2011? I always attend the winter show but for the first time was planning to attend the Summer show…..but don’t see any information about the summer show on the CHA website. Have they scrapped the plans for a summer show?

• Nancy Nally October 7, 2010 at 2:51 pm #

Typically CHA won’t start promoting the Summer show until the winter show is over, so they don’t post the dates/venue for Summer until that time, when they transition the website to promoting the next show.