Here is the Cricut Imagine!

Fresh from a demo by a Provo Craft engineer… here is the scoop on the Cricut Imagine!

Provo Craft is partnering with HP to create the Imagine.

• HP makes the inkjet print element and then sends it to PC to install in the Imagine.
  • Dual ink cartridges: Black ($34.99 MSRP) and Tricolor ($39.99 MSRP).
  • Cartridges should print 150 full pages.
  • Machine ships with full-size ink cartridges.
  • Imagine uses the same blades as the current Cricuts.
  • Available 9/14 on HSN.
  • MSRP is $599
  • Weighs 28lbs
  • Gypsy update to be released on 9/13 that will let the Gypsy work with the Imagine.
  • Works with current Cricut cartridges.
  • They will be releasing cartridges if colors and textures that can be used as “fill” in existing shape cartridges.
  • Blade and print head do not ride on same carriage like patent filing detailed.

, ,

84 Responses to Here is the Cricut Imagine!

1. Wtephanie February 13, 2011 at 2:15 pm #

WOW
    I am so very new to all of this I feel confused. Yes the “Imagine” is spendy. I do not own and Cricut product. So I may consider the “Imagine” as a purchase….but like everyone else here I want to spend my money carefully.
    Any advice on whether I should just get the newest Expression or the Imagine? what is the real benefit of the Imagine?
    What can I NOT do withthe Expression that would make the Imagine an advantage?
    I will be using for decor on my fledgling baking business and a tad for some wedding favor stuff.

2. LorieC November 27, 2011 at 12:46 am #

Just purchased the Cricut Imagine Black Friday Price $187. It is my first machine. I used my friend’s cricut expression and knew I wanted one but didn’t know the difference between all the machines. After reading the post above am wondering if I even want to try this or just take it back and get an Expression. I am very new to all this scrap booking card making stuff. What to do? Loved the cricut expressions my friend had just not sure about the cartridges and buying the. Mainly wanted to be able to cut out letters and images for scapbooks. Any advice would be appreciated mainly if I am a novice to these machines is this one going to be to high tech for me to use? If it was bought as a gift for you all would you keep it or your present scrapbook making machine?

• kraftykards November 28, 2011 at 8:48 pm #

I, too, just bought the Cricut Imagine @ Walmart’s Black Friday price of $187.00. It is actually my 3rd Cricut machine. I have Cricut Baby, the Expression, and now, the Imagine. I love my Expression and will continue to keep it, but I don’t use my baby cricut much anymore because I like working with the 12 x 12 paper size, plus the expression has features on it that the baby or the imagine doesn’t have. The imagine is big step above the expression, so I, personally would recommend either the baby or the expression depending which paper size you like to work with. The baby only uses the 6″x12″ paper size. Since you are a beginner, you may feel more comfortable using a baby cricut. Do a google search on all the different cricut machines because there are several that i have not mentioned. I have alot to learn to be able to use this imagine, but i think once i do learn everything it will be an awesome machine to have. The possiblities with it are endless. If you are interested, I have a baby cricut that i’m not using and would be willing to sell it to you. It works fine, only been used a few times. It won’t come with any cartridges, it will just be the machine. if you have anymore questions, feel free to contact me at kraftykards@mchsi.com.

• Gwen December 5, 2011 at 9:44 pm #

I, too am trying to figure out the best machine to buy since I don’t own any yet. LorieC, if you are interested in selling the Imagine you bought, I was going to purchase one at Hobby Lobby tonight, but came home to get my coupons. I don’t need it right away so I will wait to go back and buy.

• Cindy December 27, 2011 at 6:00 pm #

Hi, I had just got this imagine as a gift for Christmas…I only used my friends expression which was easy to figure out! This one seems a bit complicated for me…and I went to set it up and can’t get past the 5 step. so I have to take it back cuz it ain’t working…my question is I think I need to just go and get the expression instead… mine also was purchased on black friday which was half the price…great deal for the cost, but I still think I should just trade it for the expression…any feed back would be great! I too would only use it for the cutting…why would I print color when I could just get colored paper…don’t get that part! Thanks

3. patricia December 13, 2011 at 8:04 pm #

I have the cricut imagine but do not know what the white usb cord is for. How about someone helping me. Thanks

4. Dianna December 19, 2011 at 3:14 am #

I have all three machines also. My daughter take the smaller one with her to college for projects. I love my expression and I purchased the imagine on black Friday. Now sure yet if Iike it because I can’t figure out it you can change the size of the image you are cutting. And to use you cartridge I already have I have to use a computer and go through downloading to the machine its a bit much. I used it a couple times and I am looking for more training on it.

• Mary Nichols October 16, 2012 at 5:16 am #

yes, I need more training also! I saw on TV…but not that easy!! Please Advise!

5. Octavia February 17, 2012 at 4:17 pm #

I own the baby Cricut, the Expression and the Imagine. If you are new to Cricut products I would suggest getting the Expression…it was the first one that I purchased. I learned how to use it by viewing youtube videos. There are a lot of helpful videos there. I would not recommend the Imagine. In order to change the size of what you are printing/cutting there is a “+” and a “-” sign at the bottom of the screen. The white USB cord is to connect the Imagine to your computer to use with the Cricut Craft Room.

6. Stephanie Marler March 16, 2012 at 12:16 am #

I purchased the cake mini, and fell in love with cricut machines… I could not make my mind up on which bigger machine to buy. I went w/ the expression 2. After using the mini and the E2 I think I would raither have the keypad as to the screen. Once u figure it out it isn’t so bad, but takes some getting use 2. I want the imagine now due to the printing. Is it going to be worth the price?? Does this machine do anything other than the print that my E2 does not? Also can any1 tell me if you can arrange ur pics on the mat once they are placed on the E2?

• Octavia March 16, 2012 at 8:53 am #

Cricut Imagine…..not worth the price just for the printing. The thing that I was most disappointed in was the fact that if you choose an image, you can print and cut. But, if you want to change the color of that image you loose all of the details. For example, a polka dot dress. If the dress is orange and you want to change it to pink, you would loose all of the polka dots. Why bother with this when you can just use patterned paper???? Plus, the cost of the ink is EXPENSIVE. It’s around $30 for the black and $40 for the color cartridges. Again, patterned paper is less expensive. Yes, I own an Imagine and I have used it probably twice in the last two years. MY ADVICE: Spend your money on something else that you really need and/or want.

• pam August 19, 2012 at 11:42 pm #

I want to buy my first cricuit. Think I would like the expression with keypad. Can you use the lcd screen with a stylus? Seems the expression has more features than the e2. Am I correct?

7. Mary say July 18, 2012 at 2:41 pm #

Cricut Imagine….I feel like everyone else does. The Imagine is not worth it. It’s more complicated

then the other cricut machine and very expensive there should be a place where you could trade it

in for the New Cricut Expression 2, if all you want to do is cut. Half the time its do not work you call

the help desk they can’t help so frustrated. But my baby cricut work all the time…I should have

struck with that.

• jessica dufrene October 15, 2012 at 1:45 pm #

you are so right about the imagine,,,half the time it doesn’t work,,the help desk does not want to help you at all,,,,i’m actually on my third imagine in a year….so disappointed in provocraft’s service.

• Mary Nichols October 16, 2012 at 5:11 am #

I bought a Cricut Image in January of 2012…..too complicated….I would like to sell it….I paid almost $500 for it and all my additions.

8. Mary Nichols October 7, 2012 at 6:34 am #

I saw the cricut on tv and wanted one …I went to Hobby Lobby and bought one this past Jan. 2012. Have not used it would like to know where to get some training.

9. Faye Kratzer November 28, 2012 at 10:24 am #

I am researching the Cricut machines for a friend that wants to get a relative(teacher)one for Christmas. None of us know anything about them. After reading the above comments, looks like she should go with either the Expression or the Expression2. Any advice on which is better and works with the least problems. Thanks for any help you can give. Faye Kratzer

• Octavia November 28, 2012 at 10:44 am #

I have the Cricut Expression and I like it a lot. If your friend will be doing large projects, this would be the one to get. You can use mats up to 12 x 24. I don’t think that there is too much difference in the Expression and the Expression 2 – there will be a learning curve with both. If she knows nothing about the Cricut, just advise her to watch plenty of youtube and find sites/blogs that give instruction. They are out there. That is how I learned how to use my Expression. Good luck!

• Octavia November 28, 2012 at 10:52 am #

The best thing for you to do, and the least expensive is to go to youtube or find some blogs that give instruction. After you start using it, it will get easier and easier. Plus, play around with it and see what you come up with. Like I tell my students, it’s only paper. Good luck!

• Faye Kratzer November 28, 2012 at 11:10 am #

Thanks Octavia, Faye

10. Happyscrappy September 1, 2013 at 2:12 pm #

Hello! I was wondering…I have an Expression and a brand new not registered yet GYPSY. I was wondering if I purchased an IMAGINE cart…could I link it to my GYPSY and CCR and then cut the image??

• Octavia September 1, 2013 at 10:03 pm #

I do believe that you have to have an Imagine machine to cut from an Imagine cart. When you are in the CCR it asks what machine you are using.