Here is the Cricut Imagine!

Fresh from a demo by a Provo Craft engineer… here is the scoop on the Cricut Imagine!

Provo Craft is partnering with HP to create the Imagine.

• HP makes the inkjet print element and then sends it to PC to install in the Imagine.
  • Dual ink cartridges: Black ($34.99 MSRP) and Tricolor ($39.99 MSRP).
  • Cartridges should print 150 full pages.
  • Machine ships with full-size ink cartridges.
  • Imagine uses the same blades as the current Cricuts.
  • Available 9/14 on HSN.
  • MSRP is $599
  • Weighs 28lbs
  • Gypsy update to be released on 9/13 that will let the Gypsy work with the Imagine.
  • Works with current Cricut cartridges.
  • They will be releasing cartridges if colors and textures that can be used as “fill” in existing shape cartridges.
  • Blade and print head do not ride on same carriage like patent filing detailed.

, ,

84 Responses to Here is the Cricut Imagine!

1. Dawnll July 27, 2010 at 3:20 pm #

Unbelievable…it does everything but cook dinner!

• Samantha July 30, 2010 at 12:07 am #

For those of you out there that wanted to use your own images on the Expression you can actually! I found out about Sure Cuts Alot and I haven’t had a problem you can look it up on youtube practically anything you can imagine you can cut with that program it’s cheaper then have to spend all that $ on the carts!

• Jackie Green February 10, 2011 at 3:07 pm #

You can use Sure Cuts a lot with the Cricut Imagine? I have SCAL software I’m using with my Cricut Expression now.

• Betsy Burnett February 11, 2011 at 9:43 pm #

Jackie, from what I know about both SCAL and Makes the Cut neither one of them are compatible with the Imagine.

2. Sassy July 27, 2010 at 3:38 pm #

WOW!

3. Angela July 27, 2010 at 3:49 pm #

It sounds like a very cool product, but I wonder how well it will sell considering how bad the economy is right now. How many people are willing to shell out this much money? I wonder if it’ll sell better to people who don’t have a Cricut vs. those who already have machines.

4. Debby July 27, 2010 at 4:35 pm #

Wow, cool machine but not at that price point. I can wait on that one.

• Polly July 28, 2010 at 5:10 pm #

I can definitely wait on this, too. :) I can wait a LONG time….

5. Shawnee July 27, 2010 at 7:13 pm #

Such a great machine. I will have to save for this one.

6. CindyC July 27, 2010 at 11:47 pm #

When Cricut finally allows people to use their own designs then I might get tempted.

7. kellys July 28, 2010 at 5:01 am #

You mentioned “…sends it to PC to install in the Imagine.” What about MAC?

• Kim July 28, 2010 at 7:31 am #

Kellys, I’m pretty sure the PC refers to ProvoCraft. I’m unfamiliar with the Cricut’s Mac compatibility, but I’m betting if the Expression works with Macs, so will the Imagine.

• lindsay July 30, 2010 at 6:32 pm #

You have to use scal (or maybe MTC) to use the cricut with a mac. Design studio is not yet mac compatable I think.

• Nancy Nally August 1, 2010 at 6:22 pm #

The reference here to PC was an acronym for Provo Craft. HP makes the printer component and then sends it to Provo Craft to install in the Imagine machine.

As far as I know this machine like other Cricuts is not Mac compatible.

8. Libramom July 28, 2010 at 6:07 am #

Too rich for my blood.

9. CarolN July 28, 2010 at 7:19 am #

Now if I could upload my pics to it and have a food quality free space on the same machine and it wasn’t an arm and a leg to buy, I might “Imagine” buying this.

10. Sue Stroud July 28, 2010 at 8:39 am #

What a machine! Maybe a year or so down the road. My E is still new!! I think I will stick with that for now. (Unless I win the lottery or something!)

11. Shirley July 28, 2010 at 9:30 am #

Well I must say, this is pretty darn cool.

12. Maxine McCanic July 28, 2010 at 9:32 am #

Did you notice if there were any USB ports or “phone jack” outlets on the Imagine?

13. Lorie Moses July 28, 2010 at 9:36 am #

Nice product, but the price is not compatiable to my purse. Besides, when it comes to coloring, I love my COPIC and I love the idea of creating my works of art by hand. Send it back for price ajustment and reintroduce it in January.

14. MFew July 28, 2010 at 10:01 am #

For those of us which crafting is a hobby, it is too expensive.

15. Tina July 28, 2010 at 10:24 am #

PC needs to put time, money and energy into improving customer service, fixing the kinks with the expression, and allow for use of personal images with the cricut. I think this machine is way too expensive.

16. flowerdisco July 28, 2010 at 10:42 am #

I fell in love again! :)

When the Expression came out it was almost 500$ in my local stores.
    This one has so many more features I do not think the price is bad at all.
    Just think about all you can do with it and all the possibilities for creativity.
    I am in awe! :)

This is my personal opinion and I do not have 500$ laying around either. But, I will save evry penny and by then all the kinks if any, should be resolved, :)
    I hope anyway, because I know how PC works too. LOL

17. Erin Probst July 28, 2010 at 11:31 am #

too pricey, maybe if I didn’t have already have an expression I would save up.

18. Shirley July 28, 2010 at 12:34 pm #

I love paper crafting and have an expression. I love all the new tools and machines that come out, but think things are getting too pricey. If they made things more affordable people would more likely buy them right away.

19. CraftyTafty July 28, 2010 at 1:40 pm #

Neat machine. The price point and cost of ink cartridges make it prohibitive for me. I’m also disappointed to hear that they are partnering with hp. I already have an Epson printer that will do 12X12 pages. I’ll just stick with my expression.

20. Anonymouse July 28, 2010 at 1:51 pm #

I’m with the others here. Way too pricey for me. PC needs to fix the kinks with the E, improve dramatically on Design Studio and allow us to use our own images. I don’t need another expensive machine taking up space in my craft room. I’m guessing this one will be popular only with those who are PC addicts and those with way more disposable income than me.

21. Fran July 28, 2010 at 2:02 pm #

With the cost of this machine plus the cost of the cartridges which are only able to print 150 full pages, the cost of running this machine for one year, a true crafter would have to be a billionaire. This is something to truly THINK ABOUT before PURCHASING.

22. patty176 July 28, 2010 at 3:30 pm #

I have to agree with those who feel this is just too expensive when you consider the cost of the ink cartridges. I also agree that effort should be put into improving the Design Studio and allowing us to use our own images as well. It appears that some companies don’t get that we are in a difficult economy and that disposable income is harder to come by. No matter how much we love crafting we still need to use common sense in prioritizing how we spend our money.

23. Mary Ann Nelson July 28, 2010 at 6:09 pm #

Where is the “crafting” in using this machine? I can see the Cricut as a shortcut for cutting multiples, but for decorating the cut as well?! I dunno….

24. Gab July 28, 2010 at 6:54 pm #

Very cool looking!

25. gene July 28, 2010 at 7:27 pm #

Yes the price is to high but if I really wanted it I’d wait awhile and see the price come down…and my pet peeve are the ink cartridges…..there are other companies who have brought the price down on ink cartridges,why can’t hp….and that brings me to another problem, how much are image cartridges for this machine?

26. Jann July 28, 2010 at 7:53 pm #

Sounds interesting to take a second look But the price would stop me cold— Not only should it cook it better be able to clean my house a the same time.

27. Michelle July 28, 2010 at 8:16 pm #

Wow….for that money why not purchase a cutter like the Craft Robo, Klik-N-Kut or Silhouette that doesn’t limit you since you can design your own files (or purchase or find free ones online) that not only do print and cuts but also heavier weight chipboards etc?! You can find them anywhere from $ 200 and up depending on the machine. Also a big savings not to have to be limited to only using cartridges which are crazy expensive!

28. Linda H. July 28, 2010 at 8:48 pm #

Thought this machine was a great idea, but way to expensive for me. Not only the cost of the machine, but then the extra expense of the ink, cartridges, and mats to go along with it. I have tons of clip art that I can print on my computer, and cut out that are colored, just will take a little more time to do, and I won’t be able to change the colors, but that’s OK. I have a great HP printer already, and my husband would kill me if I bought this. So don’t think I will be buying this one either. Have my Baby Bug, Expression and Gypsy, and still trying to get everything working, PC really needs to get with it and fix all the technical problems they are having with updates and upgrades to the Gypsy, instead of launching all this new product. Now only buy the cartridges I really want and have been waiting till they go on sale, this economy has really put a dent on my crafting. Glad for those of you who have money to burn. Maybe I will get lucky, and win the lotto someday!

• Sue D. July 30, 2010 at 10:15 pm #

Buy your Cricut Cartridges on Ebay. I have about 25 now and consistently average no more than $22.00 per cartridge-and pay no shipping all the way to Alaska. I have a Create, Expression, Gypsy, and Sure Cuts A Lot. I am planning for retirement in under 4 years, and want to have my craft room well supplied. I am really a novice-sewing is my first love-but papercrafting has my attention!

29. ali B July 28, 2010 at 10:56 pm #

Sounds awesome to me !!!!!! I want one even though the economy is bad and things are
    tight : ( Can’t wait for it to come out

30. Deborah Perry July 29, 2010 at 9:36 am #

Far to expensive for me. Besides, my last HP printers don’t work, and my HP laptop, still under warranty, has been down for repair at least 5 times, and they opted to repair it the easy way, which wiped out all my memory and caused me to rebuy all of my software. No more HP for me!!!

31. Trisha July 29, 2010 at 10:51 am #

Wow nice machine, however Iam just getting a room together with all my crafting gadgets….if this keeps up I will need a closet a BIG closet just for machines…..I love my expression and I quite enjoy the fact that I get to create with it…..seems this machine does it all not sure I want that……and I have to agree the price is a bit to much but like everything else it will go down in the future because something else will come out….too bad they didnt just add to the expression that would had made more sense.
    Thanks for listening.

• Tonya July 29, 2010 at 2:01 pm #

I agree I just purchased a Cricut Expression less than 1 year ago for $349.00 it would have been nice if this would have been an add on to the Expression.

32. Rita July 29, 2010 at 7:01 pm #

WOW! This is number 1 on my wish list for Christmas…………

33. CraftyArt July 29, 2010 at 7:06 pm #

Even as a designer, I have been tempted a couple of times to purchase a Cricket machine, But the pricetags of the machines and cartridges out weighs their convenience and functions. I think I will stick to my trusty old Wishblade that has always allowed me to cut my own photos, any true type fonts or designed images in paper silhouette or in full color from my HP inkjet printer using it’s software. The software required a little bit more of a learning curve to use, but I enjoy learning.

34. sunflowerbug July 29, 2010 at 8:03 pm #

Looks like an awesome machine but it may take me forever to figure it out.The more a machine does the harder it is for me to use,lol. It’s pricey but I’m sure some stores will get them in for customers to use. At least I’m hoping they will.

35. TheSmartOne July 29, 2010 at 10:57 pm #

This is a joke! no more cute colored paper! Thats the whole part of crafting people! This new machine looks like it takes the whole fun out of crafting! And hp printers…I can only imagine (no pun intended) how the images will look with lines through them because the printer sucks! I say no to this now, and forever! PC needs to get their priorities straight! Sounds like me they are trying making lazy crafters…and I am not a lazy crafter! Picking out paper is one of my favorite things…I dont even want to think about if I only had to buy white….

• Missy Gwynn July 30, 2010 at 4:24 pm #

You can still use your cute papers. This machine cuts, colors and prints like a regular printer.
      You can choose to just cut- like the current Cricuts, or just color…like the current Cricuts- if you have the pens…or cut and color. But what is really cool and probably reflected in the price is its ability to act as your printer…
      All of the HP products I have purchased have worked great…..but I have never bout a low line one- or refilled my cartridges- maybe that is the difference?

36. Missy Gwynn July 30, 2010 at 4:21 pm #

The price does seem high. But per the patent filing it can also work as a printer. And I don’t just mean to color what you are cutting. I mean to print whatever you would print with a regular printer…

• Nancy Nally August 1, 2010 at 6:25 pm #

I have never heard anyone say in any of the demos I saw that this machine has the capability to print from anything but a cartridge. I don’t think it will print things like your photos from your computer or your journaling for your pages. It will NOT replace your regular printer from anything that I have been told.

37. lindsay July 30, 2010 at 6:33 pm #

If I couls hook it to my computer and also print 12″x12″ pages it would be great, also I’d like to use it with scal, If I coulden’t I would not buy it.

38. Sue D. July 30, 2010 at 10:22 pm #

I also wonder if the ink is archival quality. I only know that Epson name brand ink is archival quality. If you use your Cricut for anything you want to last for any length of time you probably should look into that before buying the latest Cricut Imagine. For me, I hate getting sucked into that techno junkie loop: new machine/new updated software/new operating system……I am grateful the Cricut cartridges can be used on all their machines, and I am perfectly happy with my Expression and Create. Uh..got the Create first-then drooled over the Expression-and couldn’t part with my Create! Ebay prices can’t be beat.

39. Ginney July 31, 2010 at 1:07 am #

I am so with the majority here….PC is really sucking all the $$ they can out of all of us. I remember when there were only like a few carts available. Now they are coming out in 4′s or sometime 5′s, not counting an additional 1 or 2 here and there. I, myself, love the layers that I can do in the E, why would I want to color something with a machine? Isn’t that why we have the great papers that we all love to buy? I have a few HP printers, including the 13″x19″ that prints out 12×12, they are pretty, use a lot of ink, so I do not do them very often. That is why I have at least 170+ carts and I still have some on pre-order. No one has mentioned what those 24 Imagine carts are going to cost and they can only be used on that machine….all these new PC machines are getting too expensive for pretty much most of us…enough is enough…use what we have, we can do great projects with the collection I know we have in our CRAFT rooms/closet/spaces.

40. Ginney July 31, 2010 at 1:12 am #

Just thought of one more thing that bugs me, lol…for those of us ‘cricut circle’ members that could not afford to fly to CHA, is PC going to give the rest of us circle members a free Imagine like that gave to the cricut circle people who were able to afford to go the CHA? That is probably the only way anyone would get the Imagine, if it was free…OK, I am off my soapbox…

41. Trisha August 1, 2010 at 7:13 pm #

I have another comment,I guess this whole thing about this new machine has really over whelmed me in every aspect……first my grandchildren love to participate in all art projects that I have for them they love the cricut,,,,,but now we have a new machine kids nope you cant color with your crayons and cut with your scissors,,,,I thought the whole thing about art was to CREATE your own stuff cmon $600.00 is ridiculous unless its free……why put out another machine more carts to buy I must have missed the boat coming in with all the money you would spend just getting started with it would go around $1,000.00…geez…okay I think I made my point I will not buy this machine….sorry I didnt mean to get crazy here but its no wonder our kids are the way they are today no fun.

42. Monise August 1, 2010 at 8:44 pm #

Nancy, do you know if its going to work with SCAL, like Expression?
    Or with some software, it will be able to print and cut our projects (without the cartridges)?
    Thanks a lot!

43. Emma August 2, 2010 at 7:45 pm #

Decisions..Decisions…Cricut Imagine or a Lexus. Lexus or Cricut Imagine..humm. Seriously, this company did this before with the Create and later the Expressions…I work in technology ladies and I suggest you wait…what will be next a colored printer that cuts images out, including images that you can load from a file and print on paper or icing fondant. The blade and machine has to be food grade for cricut cake, no one said anything about a printed image. Band together and send a strong message to Provo Craft they need to be loyal to their crafters. Greed will get them, without us…they won’t have a company.

• Trisha August 2, 2010 at 8:12 pm #

Thanks Emma…….Your right I didnt know anything about the cricut expression until this past xmas my son gave it to me so my grandchildren could have some fun with me….I had no idea how it worked my scrap booking was done the old fashioned way YOU CREATE….so then I see the cart in the store and Iam like youve got to be kidding me the prices were outrageous so I only get them when I see them on sale at Michaels for $19.99 I cant afford the $89.00 ones geez if I bought them all the time we wouldnt have food okay Iam exagerating a little but golly…….and now the cake cricut and this new one imagine…well I guess they might get an eye opener cause I dont think this one is going to get the attention as the expression has…..and now theres a question is it a boy or a girl machine…..tell you what it isnt a girl….if I had to say which definitely a boy cuz us gals wouldnt be so ridiculous to say $600.00……time will tell I guess…..Thanks!!

44. Susan August 2, 2010 at 7:56 pm #

I agree with Emma. This is abysmal business practice. How can you be disloyal to the customers who made you what you are? A first grader with a lemonade stand can figure that out. Shame! Shame! Shame! Thanks Provo Craft. You have cured me of my addiction. I won’t be sending any more of my hard earned money your way. And I won’t be recommending you to any more of my plethora of teacher friends.

45. LKG August 3, 2010 at 6:00 am #

Well I think this is taking the fun out of scrap booking half the fun is coloring and shading your own work. I have Mac and expression and use sure cuts alots and works good on Mac so this might to for those people who have money to throw away and r NOT real scrapers.

46. Melanie Waggett August 4, 2010 at 4:02 pm #

I’m getting one and I can’t wait! Couldn’t believe my hubby said yes!!!! It’s today’s special value on HSN on September 14th.

47. Melanie Waggett August 4, 2010 at 4:14 pm #

One more thing, the other “cutting machines” available out there run for about the same price as Cricut, so I don’t see why everyone thinks their pricing is unreasonable. And PC usually gives you some cartridges with it to start with. Working for the US Gov, in a technology field, I have to say that’s part of American life–the constant and new technology that is available to us Americans. You should see in our IT department how often we have to upgrade software and hardware that you as taxpayers buy. I’m amazed that someone will complain about a hobby printer, but no one says a word about the millions and millions that the US Gov spends on all of this technology! If you complained to the government as you are about Cricut, I can only imagine (no pun) the change that could happen in this country.

48. Teresa August 5, 2010 at 9:06 am #

I love the machine, but I don’t love the price. The other problem I have is I do not have the gypsy and this machine at the present time is not compatible with Design Studio. So I am thinking it may not be compatible with SCAL. While this machine is on my crafting “wish” list, it is a want, not a need, since I have the expression, which I love. So I think that I am going to have to “wait” for the price to come down a little.

49. Sally August 6, 2010 at 6:22 pm #

The Imagine is waaaaay coool and unfortunately very expensive. I will have to wait until the price comes down. If I decide I want it. Right now I don’t. I love my expression!!! I have to agree with another poster. I do feel it takes the real crafting out of card making and scrapping. There are programs you can buy to make cards then print out on the old $29.00 HP Printer. Anyway…………… when my boatload of cash comes in then I might consider. I do like the imagine. It looks like fun. Technology is so awesome, but so expensive. I still want an I-Pad. And… still saving for a new phone.

And one more thing………… I laugh at the post where someone brought up govt. spending. Eeryone complains and lets the govt know. This is just not the forum for that!! But I do agree with you. Wanna buy a hammer….. $900.00!!! Special govt price for you!!!
    (wink- smile)

50. Trisha August 7, 2010 at 7:44 pm #

Sally………you are so right about the goverment thingy lol………good grief were talking crafts not ammonition did I spell that right lol………have a wonderful weekend and may god bless everyone.
    Trish