And the Cricut Circle is…

Provo Craft has put up another splash screen promoting their new Cricut product called Cricut Circle, and it leaves little question that the Circle is not a machine…

It appears that the Circle is going to be some kind of membership club with benefits including exclusive cartridges available to members. And with “Charter member invitations coming in June,” Cricut fans won’t have to wait until CHA Summer to find out what it is all about.

Subscribe to Scrapbook Update in a Reader
-Or-
Subscribe to Scrapbook Update on the Kindle
-Or-

Also, don’t forget to subscribe to Scrapbook Update’s newsletter mailing list to receive breaking news alerts and a weekly newsletter with exclusive content!

26 Responses to And the Cricut Circle is…

1. Icecat62 May 29, 2010 at 12:08 am #

Talk about trying to squeeze every last penny from a Cricut owner. Like the cartridges don’t cost enough to begin with that most people only buy them when they’re on sale. I know I won’t join it. Make the cartridges and sell them, don’t make people fork over more money just to get a certain one. :-P

2. Rosemary Zuba May 29, 2010 at 6:01 am #

If I remember correctly, on the Cricut survey it asked about ‘would you join a club’. Certainly NOT. I love my Cricut, but I’m not that insecure that I must join a ‘circle’ or feel left out of the loop. It’s just another way to make someone feel ‘left out’ and will certainly get those that need to feel included to pay. Nothing like a company tellilng it’s customers ‘you are just not as important unless you pay us to be in the special group’…Just like when you buy a machine you get a ‘specail cartridge’ and no one else can get it. Personally, I think that is bad business, but Provo Craft apprarently enjoys this type of customer relationship since they do it so often.

3. Diane Anderson May 29, 2010 at 8:40 am #

As a retreat owner, I keep up with the lastest releases from ProvoCraft to keep my cartridge inventory current. With over 100 cartridges in my workshop and four Cricuts in use most of the time, I can tell you I am extrememely disappointed in this announcement to release cartridges only to consumers who spend even MORE money on their products. Haven’t we proven our loyalty to the brand by now….why launch yet another marketing blitz that fosters unncessary exclusion and frenzy in a sketchy economic time?? I understand that PC may be feeling the heat of competion of the other electronic cutting systems on the market, but asking people to join a club instead of just offering the cartridges is not appropriate.

4. Jessica May 29, 2010 at 9:04 am #

I agree with Icecat62. I understand that Provo Craft is in the business of making money, as is every other company in the world. However, you can only get so much money from people. I love my Cricut, and have 18 cartridges. Which is a lot less than some folks. All of them were bought on sale. I will not pay above $40.00 for one. And most of them I paid less than $30. I can’t afford to buy all I’d like to have, because they are so expensive. So what I would like to say to PC…slow down… the sheer number of cartridges to come out this year is overwhelming! And it’s not even June yet!!! You already have a good portion of my money. Leave me the rest so I can buy paper to use in my Expression!

• cheri June 7, 2010 at 9:41 am #

I agree with icecat as well,,,why pay even more? The word “charter” implies a membership fee of some sort,,I will Not be joining. I am already dissapointed in some of the repeats included on new cartridges. PC is going overboard with this. I simply will not be spending with PC as before. Also I have noticed that ebay is catering to the larger sellers,and I would be willing to bet; the larger sellers for cricut products are in fact PC and that they have a crew of ebay members bidding on there products to run up the prices. After looking, checking and tracking there auctions compared to smaller sellers,,it is obvious. So to think you can get a better price on ebay? I doubt it , unless you find a personal seller letting go of cartridges.

5. Barb May 29, 2010 at 10:30 am #

Wow, we don’t even know if it is a club yet! It could be a online option to download only the images you want and not have to buy an entire cartridge. It could be a way to download directly to the Gypsy. It could be software. It could be a club. Provo Craft is a business, not a charity. I can’t fault them for how much I choose to spend on scrapbooking. I think the mystery is fun and when it is over, I decide whether or not to support the company with my dollars.

• Anonomouse May 29, 2010 at 4:31 pm #

And how else would you interpret the above advertisement? “Charter Member Registration”, “Cartridge set shown . . . for Criclets Only”? The “member registration” implies that it’s something you have to join. Club? Group? Whatever, it’s a way for PC to make more money from it’s supporters. Frankly, I do good just to buy a new cart (and only at discounted prices) once every couple of months. PC is a business and as such must continue to make money to stay solvent. However, in this economy, you’d think they would try to win more customers by discounting their product. We all know that you can get the carts for less than the $90 they are retailed for.

• Barb May 30, 2010 at 9:49 am #

I still think it could be taken any number of ways. It could be a free club. It could be a website that has message boards and tip and trick for Cricut fans or members. I would be happy for PC to stay in business so that I can get mats, blades and the a new cartridge every now and then. Better than having PC bankrupt and no way to get replacement supplies for the pricey machines.

• mjstamps June 1, 2010 at 10:56 am #

I think this is definitely an exclusive club, why else a charter membership? I was part of the people they surveyed a while back, about all aspects of some kind of club, including what we would reasonably pay to belong to such a club. I don’t specifically remember what they offered as suggested options for annual membership, but I do remember being shocked at how much it was! I own a Cricut Create and primarily use it only for papercrafting purposes. However I own loads of manual punches and just recently bought a Big Shot, because there is not one machine out there that can do everything economically. A membership for a nominal yearly fee that included exclusive merchandise and benefits might be worth it, but if they stick with any of the pricing options they put on that survey I don’t see how they will get any meaningful amount of Cricut owners to join.

6. Melissa May 29, 2010 at 7:06 pm #

I agree the cartridges are enough money without having to join some club to get them or special ones.The way the economy is these days they’re lucky peolple are still buying them.I don’t buy them unless on sale too, thats the only way I can afford them.Then to have to buy a certain bundle to get a certain cartridge that’s been right up their alley.I won’t say I won’t join yet, but if its expensive and then you have to buy the expensive cartridges to I wouldn’t be able to.Scrapbooking is an expesive hobby, I know by my choice but give us new cartridges not make us join a club to get certain ones.Oh well, just my 2 cents worth.

7. rose481 May 29, 2010 at 7:40 pm #

Same old Provocraft! Finding yet another way to anger a large percentage of their customers! If only they would fix/update the things they have already sold us. Design Studio for one. Gypsy for another. That DS software is a joke. Even with the latest update, you can’t do the things we have been asking PC to incorporate into the software…tasks it should have been able to accomplish in the first place. Many of the new carts contain repeats of previously released designs and now a “club”. Way to go PC! Alienate another round of customers!

8. Marie May 29, 2010 at 7:48 pm #

PC, its a shame but I have to agree with most of the others that have already posted. Your cartridges are very expensive. I signed up at A C Moore to buy my Cricut when they first came out. I paid $250.00 + 9.75 % sale tax for my Cricut, that was $50.00 off for pre-buying. It was a while before I could afford to by a new cartridge ( a really luxury). In less that a year a friend bought her Cricut for $119.00 you talk about feeling betrayed. At this point I will only buy new cartridges on sale. I find myself using my Quickutz 20x more often than I use the Cricut. I do not even tell people that I own one. But I must say I love your Cuttlebug line which I bought on sale. – Marie

• Nancy Nally May 30, 2010 at 2:50 pm #

Marie, I want to make sure that you (and everyone else) understands something. You addressed Provo Craft as “you” in replying to this post as if they were the author of the post. Provo Craft is not in any way affiliated with Scrapbook Update. Scrapbook Update is a scrapbook industry trade news site that is a wholly owned property of Balalaberry Media LLC, which is jointly owned by my husband and me. We do not represent Provo Craft in any way.

As for the issue of the Cricut dropping in price, it is a piece of technology. I’m heavily engaged in the technology world (I actually write freelance for a large technology site). I can tell you that ALL technology drops in price over time. That is why every time you replace your computer you can buy a better one for the same price you paid last time (more memory, bigger hard drive, faster processor, etc). It’s just that when you are talking about a machine that stays exactly the same, like a Cricut, over a period of time the reduction of price in the technology becomes very noticeable.

Do you remember when the first iPhone came out three years ago? Not even two months later, Apple announced that they were eliminating the lower one of the models and cutting the price on the other model by $200. Now, Apple customers who had bought the affected phones got so very upset at the price being dropped so much so quickly that it forced the company to offer them $100 vouchers for partial refund of the price drop. But it is still a very vivid illustration of how the price of technology drops very quickly.

9. Emily May 30, 2010 at 7:11 am #

To the people complaining about Provocraft’s $90 retail for cartridges and how they will only buy them on sale, keep in mind that often those sales are a drop in margin on the cartridges for the stores, not the prices that Provocraft charges. Whether you want to blame the stores for having too high of a margin, the company for charging too much to the stores, or a combination of both (which I think is accurate), Provocraft isn’t the ONLY one to blame. You can buy them on sale because stores put them on sale. Sometimes Provocraft might offer stores discounts for large buys, but especially for smaller chains, they’re lowering their margin when they put them on sale.

To Marie, I would be upset too if I bought a Cricut and had it drop in price so much, but I’m amazed you feel betrayed or surprised at all. Think back to the Iphone, I think it dropped $200 in price 6 weeks after its initial release? Any kind of technology item does that. I would love to buy a Cricut but I am working 2 jobs to pay my bills, my craft expenditures are my only luxury and the Cricut does not fit into my budget. I am, however, comforted by the idea that in a few years the price will go down more, and by then it probably will. (Of course, they will surely come out with some new and even more amazing machine by then, but that’s okay, I’m pretty impressed with the Cricut Expression, even if they do not come out with something more amazing.)

10. Holly May 30, 2010 at 7:48 pm #

I wish people would stop complaining about spending more money or having to join a club. Here’s an idea: don’t join. Don’t spend the money. And then shut up about it. Provo Craft can do what they want, and so can the consumer. You’re complaining about the potential price of the product, but last I checked no one was forcing anyone to buy anything. Thats left up to you, complainers of the world.

11. karen keiper May 30, 2010 at 11:33 pm #

here,here. Holly.

12. Vicki May 31, 2010 at 9:08 pm #

Wow! ladies be kind!– I agree provo craft has not kept up with providing consumers what they want– hence other companies coming out with the products to update the machines capabilities… I also agree with the “don’t buy” statement… I for one will be in that camp.. I have sit here patiently waiting to hear what it is they were coming out with before buying MTC or SCAL—
    Nancy you should really try and get an interview with them and see if they know how upset their loyal consumers are.

13. Yvonne June 1, 2010 at 12:43 pm #

How stupid and annoying!

an emphatic “NO WAY” from me. Provo, you all want me to “pay” for the “priviledge” to buy one of your cartridges?! How freaking insulting.

14. Erin Probst June 1, 2010 at 4:30 pm #

I was surveyed about joining a club by cricut. I was emphatic in the comment section that I would not pay to join a club. I accept that I have to pay for the cartridges, and that they have a business to run. However, most businesses do not charge for belonging to their clubs. They know that these clubs can make them money without charging. Making customers happy, letting customers know that they are important, basically treating them right, will keep customers loyal to your company.

15. Loydene June 1, 2010 at 5:09 pm #

Any company that plans to “exclude” any customer by creating an artificially exclusive community (or circle), in my opinion, is shooting themselves in the foot.

16. scrappio June 1, 2010 at 10:54 pm #

Spare a thought for those of us not in the USA – in Australia Cricut cartridges had a retail price of AUD$160 when they were first released (approx US$130), and even now the recommended retail at many stores is AUD$130. I understand it’s a pain when things are expensive, but sometimes you guys in the US don’t realise how good you’ve got it!!!

17. COEngrGirl June 4, 2010 at 7:12 pm #

I too was one of those who received a survey regarding joining a club, and as with several of the commenters here, I said “no way”. I’d love to see what the survey results really showed, since the small sample here seems to be universally against the concept.

18. Amanda S June 6, 2010 at 4:08 pm #

There’s no obligation to buy. I don’t understand the emotional responses here. You don’t have to pay to join. I have a cricut, have had one for 2 years and only have three cartridges (I’ve purchased SCAL). You chose to buy what you chose. You’re not obligated to spend more if you don’t want to.

If you’re upset because special cartridges will only be available to paid members (if that is the case), just wait a few months and I’m sure you’ll find them on ebay.

Is it really worth getting upset over?

19. cheri June 7, 2010 at 9:51 am #

Loydene,, you have put it in the simplest terms!!! I concur!!!

20. Natasha June 8, 2010 at 3:24 pm #

Nancy,

21. Elizabeth June 11, 2010 at 11:11 am #

Hey Holly –Why don’t you tell us how you really feel??!!! LOL. I totally agree with you.
    I have an expression as do two of my friends, and together we’ve had a blast because of it. Those of us who are close friends each know what cartridge the other ones have so we don’t “double-buy;” we also share the accessories we need and split the price. And finally, it takes little or no effort to figure out that no one ever has to pay the retail prices at AC Moore or Michael’s.

Do your homework ladies, learn how to get the biggest bang for your buck. And if you’re so unhappy with PC — go somewhere else. There’s plenty of other good stuff out there.
    I have quite a wish list myself.