Spring 2010 Mid-Release Products Report

It seems to me that the “mid-release” concept is a growing trend in scrapbooking. It used to be that most products were debuted at one of the trade shows before release. However in recent years, and 2010 in particular, I have seen a rise in items being released in the spring that were not shown at the winter CHA show back in January. These “mid-releases” are small offerings of a few select new goodies that we will see in stores long before the next trade show crush.

I find it delightful to discover these new treats from favorite companies, and today I’m going to share some of my picks from the crop of Spring 2010 mid-releases with you, as well as a few layouts.

American Crafts has several mid-releases that should be hitting stores any time now. Several new alphabet Thickers, some additional fabric paper, and additional colors of the very popular rose ribbon (from the Dear Lizzy line) so it will be available in six colors.

BasicGrey is jumping in with two new collections, Oliver and Olivia, to be released in June. The image below is the sneak peek shared on their website.

There’s also a whole new company on the scene called Echo Park Paper, and the product peek on their homepage is intriguing:

Pink Paislee has released a collection called Starlight that you will see featured in an upcoming article here on Scrapbook Update. The red, blues, and buttery yellows make a really nice subtle color palette for a variety of projects.

Teresa Collins has released Travel Ledger, a line that is neutral enough in color, and subtle enough in patterns, to be used for most any vacation scrapbooking.

Jenni Bowlin has debuted several new papers for her line as well as rub-ons, stickers, and a few other items. What I appreciate the most about Jenni’s new lines are that they seamlessly tie into her older product. Rather than becoming a whole new collection, these items will work with papers and stickers I have from a few years ago as well as they will with each other.

The bold yellows and reds in Jenni’s aptly named “Play Date” papers seem to be the perfect choice for summer, and I love that they are useful for any number of subject matters. I decided to try out some of the new products with some pony ride photos.

Supplies: Jenni Bowlin patterned paper, chipboard and sticker butterflies, journaling card, banner stickers, and coordinating core’dinations cardstock; Fiskars scallop border punch; Martha Stewart bakers twine; Scrapbook Adhesives by 3L EZ-Runner; Sakura pen; unknown thread

The new banner stickers and the butterfly shaped stickers are so much fun, and I’m glad to see this trend continuing. I am looking forward to utilizing the large butterfly rub-ons as well.

Another company with a stellar surprise is Cosmo Cricket, with the new collection called DeLovely. When I first saw the images of this on-line, I was thrilled! This bright aqua, pink, and yellow dominated line is just the thing for warm weather fun pages.

I tried out this new line with a new favorite photo taken outside our local fair. I think that mixing black, white, or some really dark colors that coordinate with a line help bring a better contrast and overall look to my projects. A very dark aqua or pink might be fun…in fact, I think I’ll have to try that!

Supplies: Cosmo Cricket patterned paper, 6×6 paper pad, Chipboard stickers, sticker sheet, alphabet stickers in pink and aqua, and flowered patterned paper (cut out flowers); American Crafts rose ribbon; unknown thread.

Visions of a pool, summer sunshine, popsicle eating, and general warm weather fun all come to mind when I view this line. I love how feminine it is while still being a rainbow of bold colors. You can expect to see more from me using this line for sure.

I’m looking forward to working more with these new products, as well as discovering more new favorites and enjoying my classic staple supplies as well.

(See something you like? Most of these products that I’ve mentioned today are available now in stores, and those that aren’t will be within a few weeks.)

Subscribe to Scrapbook Update in a Reader
-Or-
Subscribe to Scrapbook Update on the Kindle
-Or-

Also, don’t forget to subscribe to Scrapbook Update’s newsletter mailing list to receive breaking news alerts and a weekly newsletter with exclusive content!

, , , , , ,

11 Responses to Spring 2010 Mid-Release Products Report

1. Holly H. May 20, 2010 at 12:09 pm #

You’re missing Studio Calico Documentary!
    Here’s a link:

2. Andrea MacDonald May 20, 2010 at 1:53 pm #

I love all of it!!! Only thing is I’m still trying to catch up from Winter CHA!

3. Holly Denghel May 20, 2010 at 2:29 pm #

I am very happy that companies have started doing this. A few years ago, it was a long, dry spell between CHAs with nothing new to inspire me.

4. Suz May 20, 2010 at 3:04 pm #

I’m glad that Cosmo is changing it up a bit – love this line.

I just loaded Sweet Summertime in the online store I design for & it’s really pretty with lots of fun patterns/colors/prints. The sticker sheets & journaling spots make it economical too.

And Dear Lizzy… oh wow I am so loving that line – happy dance that they are adding more to it.

Thanks for keeping us in the know May

5. Alison wood May 20, 2010 at 7:59 pm #

Hi Nancy and May,

What about Aussie manufacturer Kaisercraft? We release 2 new collections every month, along with ‘core product’ such as alpha stickers, ribbon etc, and NEW beyond-the-page and mini albums. :)

Thanks
    Alison

6. May Flaum May 20, 2010 at 9:34 pm #

Alison that’s right! Kaiser Craft has some lovely things (though I didn’t realize I’d never seen them/you didn’t show at CHA). Hey Birdie is a collection I don’t think I’ve seen before – so cute!! (www.kaisercraft.net – for those interested in seeing)
    Just FYI – I have been posting calls for product/designs/etc. in advance of articles posting here (call for this one was posted for several weeks) so that mfgs like yourself can make sure I don’t overlook you!
    I usually have 2-3 going at a time, and of course if you have something coming out at any time that you think I should know about or are interested in please do feel free to e-mail may@scrapbookupdate.com
    Here’s a link: http://www.scrapbookupdate.com/submit

7. Scrapbook Obsession May 21, 2010 at 3:12 am #

Thanks for the heads up on the mid-releases. I think I’m most excited about the Dear Lizzy rose ribbon in so many colors, and the new Basic Grey lines (Oliver and Olivia). They’re adding a bunch of embellishments to the Basics line, too, that I LOVE :)
    ~Erika

8. Lynn Mercurio May 21, 2010 at 8:53 am #

Looks like tons of fun surprises coming soon. Love the vibrant spring/summer colors and whimsical patterns. I love the mid-release trend…just right for keeping interest high and the dollars flowing…lol

9. Allison May 21, 2010 at 8:55 am #

OMG, love seeing the new stuff, but either I need to close my esyes to these new things or start using my stuff faster so I can buy the new stuff without the guilt of having so much STUFF already!

10. Brenda Jones May 21, 2010 at 11:01 am #

LOL, I’m with Allison just above. Where to put new stuff in this already bulging utopia of creative space called my studio? That said, the RICH, BOLD COLORS are delightful to see. Kind of reminds me of my box of 64 Crayola Crayons. This array of colors just scream “do something with me, and do it now!” LOL And, btw, Meg, this is a GREAT REVIEW of these new product lines.

11. celeste May 24, 2010 at 9:10 am #

you forgot studio calico’s new release documentary – coming soon – it looks great!