What is the Cricut Circle?

And it is time for the summer madness to begin. Specifically, the latest viral marketing campaign for a new Cricut product.

Love or hate them and their products, you have to respect Provo Craft’s ability to build viral buzz in advance of new Cricut product introductions. (Although, in some cases, as with the Gypsy last year, this can have unintended consequences when the lack of details provided about the Gypsy in its campaign lead to a lot of consumer concerns about how it handled cartridges.)

Die cutting, both manual and electronic, is going to continue to be one of the most hotly contested product categories in the industry for the foreseeable future. So what is Cricut bringing to the battle at CHA Summer? I have no idea. But this splash screen is now up on their website at a subdomain called circle:

So, let the speculation begin…

Subscribe to Scrapbook Update in a Reader
-Or-
Subscribe to Scrapbook Update on the Kindle

Also, don’t forget to subscribe to Scrapbook Update’s newsletter mailing list to receive breaking news alerts and a weekly newsletter with exclusive content!

31 Responses to What is the Cricut Circle?

1. Andrea MacDonald May 17, 2010 at 10:12 pm #

Hmmm, I wonder what it would be?

2. Judy Staie May 18, 2010 at 8:01 am #

OH NO!! Another machine to save up for. Kind of exciting.

3. Cecile Cann May 18, 2010 at 8:58 am #

Does it come with directions?

4. mary full May 18, 2010 at 9:16 am #

And to think I haven’t learned the Expression yet! Oh dear…

5. Kathleen Androlewicz May 18, 2010 at 9:16 am #

Well, I really miss the coluzzles because they were so cheap, portable, lightweight, etc. I loved them even though I had other things to do some of the work like sizzix, quickutz, etc. So, I’m hoping whatever it is is more like the Coluzzles rather than a whole ‘nother contraption too big and bulky to toss in your bag!

6. Molly McCarthy May 18, 2010 at 9:39 am #

Cricut Circle – I’m guessing that means coming around “full circle”, meaning the Cricut machine, Gypsy and Design Studio software will finally all work together (at least I hope)!

• Edie Malin May 18, 2010 at 10:02 am #

I tend to agreee. The slogan ‘surround yourself’ leads me to believe that they may have storage or setup furniture and electronic links to create an area where these products can be used in sync. At least thats what I need…lol.
      edie

7. Jessica May 18, 2010 at 9:42 am #

I’m thinking it’s just another circle cutter to compete with the other’s out there. Not a ‘machine’ but a tool used to make circles. Like Fiskars circle cutter. Or Creative Memories circle cutting system. (Both of which I have). But maybe it’s going to be a direct competition with the Spellbinders dies. These still seem to be hot, even though they’ve been around for a while.
    Well, we’ll see!

8. DebraK May 18, 2010 at 10:03 am #

I have to agree with Molly above–integrating their products could indicate ‘circle’ or ‘full circle’…

9. Vicki May 18, 2010 at 10:42 am #

Whatever it is I am sure its not what they have promised us–and its probably something that they are pushing out the door with $$ in their eyes. How about updating Design Studio?? How about putting out carts from new designers?? How about providing better instruction on product useage? Ahh provo-craft don’t let us down again

10. Alex-sandie May 18, 2010 at 10:51 am #

How about making sure all the bugs are out of what they already produce…..sure would be nice if the Gypsy had all the capabilities the Expression has….would be so nice to have all the feature keys on the Expression can be accessed from the Gypsy…..I certainly don;t want another pricey SD card…

11. Donna Clark May 18, 2010 at 11:52 am #

I think it will be something expensive….so far when they’ve done these kinds of campaigns that’s how it seems to go.
    That said……..BRING IT ON!!! :)
    ps-i REALLY hate teasers…… i’m too impatient!

12. Candy Rosenberg May 18, 2010 at 12:51 pm #

hmmm….the last CHA we were left guessing what might come up. Time will tell.

13. Brenda Jones May 18, 2010 at 3:30 pm #

Hmmm, I’m with Donna; I don’t like Teasers either. That said, I used to firmly believe that I wanted a Cricuit as I watched all my friends get them along with everything else cricuit related. But late last year I took a hard look at the whole “issue”, and decided my scrapbooking, card designing, and other artwork didn’t need all that equipment, and that my dollars could be better spent elsewhere. So, whatever the Cricuit “Circle” comes out to be, it won’t find a home in my studio here. I’m very happy with what I have to work with.

14. Judy May 18, 2010 at 3:38 pm #

I think it will be a cutter to use on your photos. So that you can cut details out, like faces and other items you may want to scrap. But I also thought about it being something to link all of your cricut items together as well.

15. Heidi Ann Smith May 18, 2010 at 6:28 pm #

I am thinking it is something better to store/use all these carts people have. HOPEFULLY it is a bigger version of the jukebox.

16. Karen Quinn May 20, 2010 at 12:05 pm #

I have a feeling it might have something to do with a survey they sent me a while back about a “Cricut Club”…yearly subscription fees—I thought all the options in the survey were very expensive–up to $300 per year….the fee would include exclusive cartridges for members only, and exclusive sales if I remember correctly…not a whole lot for your money though….I guess we will have to wait and see!

17. Dee May 21, 2010 at 12:08 pm #

From other sites that I’ve seen, I’m reasoning that the Cricut Circle will be some kind of portable cutting device, similar to a Slice in concept. Hopefully, it will be compatible with the current cartridges, the Gypsy AND Design Studio. AND – that all the bugs will be worked out of it before it’s released!! (that would be nice!)

18. Jeri May 23, 2010 at 12:02 am #

I so love to read the comments here, it allows me to know what not to purchase. Keep up the good work.

19. Tammy May 23, 2010 at 7:19 pm #

I am thinking the same thing as Karen and that it might be their club membership which looked like it was going to be outrageously expensive for what it was. If I remember right, the membership would not include a cart but just give you the opportunity to PURCHASE the exclusive carts.

20. Tobey May 25, 2010 at 11:29 pm #

I wonder if it means that it will cut words/phrases in a circle?

21. Danielle May 27, 2010 at 9:43 am #

I work for Provo Craft. It definitely is a new machine! We werent told anything else except it’s a machine for sure and its “amazing”

• SHANNON May 28, 2010 at 10:34 am #

My name is Shannon, I do work at Provo Craft. I do not know of any Danielle’s who work at Provo Craft. I think it’s funny Danielle knows something that I don’t.

• Nancy Nally May 28, 2010 at 11:21 am #

I have verified Shannon’s identity by communicating with her at her work address.

• Nancy Nally May 28, 2010 at 10:40 am #

Please note that this comment [Danielle's] originates from an IP address that is thousands of miles away from PC’s Utah headquarters. Whether someone is traveling or if PC has a contractor who resides in this location, I don’t know.

22. Vicki May 27, 2010 at 11:20 am #

Seriously a new machine??? Why don’t they fix the machines they have..

23. Cyndi May 28, 2010 at 1:57 pm #

I’ve spent a fortune on the machine(s), carts etc. I will not be happy if they come up with some high dollar “club” that will be the only way to buy exclusive carts.

If you look at the preview designs on the Circle site, they look like old stuff already out on Destinations and the new solution Summer In Paris.

They need to concentrate on making what they have work, get some new designers instead of the same ole stuff and stop worrying about something new that they can’t get right from the beginning.

• Nancy Nally May 28, 2010 at 2:35 pm #

It appears from the new preview that just went up today on the Circle site that it is in fact a club.

24. Natalie McBroom May 29, 2010 at 12:39 pm #

I’m with Karen Quinn! And I was not too thrilled to hear that there were going to be carts that only certain people could have. I too was surveyed! I think it’d be fine if they got them way discounted, but we they can make more money offering it full price to even those who shop on ebay. I can’t buy the carts I want as I am an unemployed SAHM. The California government has decided to rob my husband of 15% of his pay when he puts his life in danger for 8 hours or more a day. We may look like our house is nice, and no we are not upside down on our payments, but we can hardly even afford clothes, groceries, and God forbid, eating out. So to have my one hobby that I can get carts on ebay after I’ve saved and saved to dangle other products I can’t have unless I pay a lot of money, is so disheartening. I have already bought the Create, the Expression, and the Gypsy, back when we could kind of afford that stuff. I have about 17 carts and I just have to turn to my faith at this point and these things just remind me, not to covet what my neighbor has and that I should spend more time doing other things than checking on the PC site and message boards to drool over what I can’t have! Do you hear me? LOL!

25. musician July 16, 2011 at 10:48 pm #

I also don’t appreciate Provo having cartridges I can not purchase. Provo, you may have just lost my future business. I’ll opt to sharing cartridges with friends and borrowing theirs. This makes me want to “jail break” my expression. I have a small fortune invested in my expression and cartridges. I made those purchases assuming i would be able to purchase additional cartridges and supplies in the future because of that investment. To say we must join a “club” at an outrageous price is unbelievable! Provo, you an rest assured, I will NOT be joining!