CHA Asks For Supershow Input

The Craft & Hobby Association would like to hear feedback from Scrapbook Update readers who participated in either or both of the two CHA Craft Supershows in Orlando and Anaheim in the past year.

They’d like to know what you liked or didn’t like, whether your expectations for the show were what was provided, what you’d like to see done the same or different in future Supershows – anything you’d like to tell them about what you think your experience.

Thanks for helping to improve the Supershows for future attendees! Consumer shows are important events to continuing to develop the crafts market, and scrapbooking as a segment of it.

Please use the comment section of this post to leave your feedback. (Email subscribers: Please click on the words “CHA Asks For Supershow Input” at the top to get to the entry on the website where you can leave comments.)

9 Responses to CHA Asks For Supershow Input

1. sue morris April 1, 2010 at 9:32 am #

Hi nancy. :) well, I attended the CHA show in Orlando. I would say I enjoyed it for the most part. I was disappointed though that there were very few company vendors there. I understand that they cannot sell their products at discounted prices at the show. That doesn’t bother me at all! if I could get my hands on a new product before it hits the larger market? that would be great! even have some of the local stores in the area (which were most of the vendors represented) and have them sell it for full price. It also would have been nice to meet Tim Holtz in person too and watch his demonstations up close. Even if he only wanted to do demos, that would be great. Just to meet him in person! yanno? I Have to say though, it WAS fun. It was so great to meet the staff from Splitcoast, My Favorite Things, Papertrey Ink…which btw, did a FABULOUS job. AWESOME! they were restocking as I was in line buying! LOL Crafty Secrets was great. In addition, I got to meet Judy Watanabe. I enjoyed the workshops as well. Thanks for asking our input. Any idea where they will have the next ones if they do?

2. Sharon April 1, 2010 at 10:03 am #

I attended Anaheim and did not get my money’s worth. I will not be back. The Scrapbook Expo show the weekend before had more products, more classes, and more vendors there to inspire me and provide a well rounded mix of products I want. A cheap coaster make and take at the Michaels booth is not my idea of a good show.

3. D April 1, 2010 at 12:18 pm #

I attended the Anaheim show with my 7 yo daughter and thought it was great. I’m not sure how i would have felt if it were just me going to check out products, but I know my daughter had a great time and it was difficult getting her to leave. She loved the make n takes, learned new techniques, used new products and came home with tons of stuff. I should say, though, that the show was not what i was expecting going in. the website made it sound like the vendors would not be very welcoming of kids and the kids should stay in the kids zone. not true! i was also expecting more manufacturers but there were more retailers and distributors. that was fine, just not what i expected. i also should say that the directional signs and parking were aweful!! they had us park in the far lot, and the folks working the parking told us to park on a certain level that only provided vendor access. we had to walk all the way around and it was cold and rainy that day.

4. liz April 1, 2010 at 1:44 pm #

Sorry CHA. I didn’t attend any classes and only made a small dent in the shopping budget I had set. The best thing about CHA? Watching Wyland paint a mural and getting to meet Carol Duvall. Next year, I’ll be heading to the Expo instead.

5. Suz April 1, 2010 at 5:03 pm #

Hi Nancy, I attended the Florida show (tagging along with you some of the time lol). It was very crowded and there were lots of kids running around. There weren’t super deals (except for acrylic albums in one store & Glue Arts booth) or newest products (except for lss that had some new lines from G45 & Nikki Sivils). I loved the Papertrey Ink booth though it was very hard to shop due to the crowd. I would like to see more vendors like that. The make n takes were ok but very disorganized on a whole. The giveaways were hard to understand and keep up with – also most required that you were present for drawing.

It’s great to have an event open to consumers before/after CHA. But all in all I would say I like the Scrapbook Expo that is in Atlanta each year much better.

6. Sally April 1, 2010 at 7:05 pm #

I loved my CHA experience in Orlando and plan to attend this summer in Chicago. I do agree that PTI was a smashing success and I would love to see more of the online vendors have a temporary store front. I did not take part in the classes. I was so excited to meet industry names and to make connections with friend from the blog world. Having all types of craft and hobbies represented was also a bonus. While I love paper crafts, I dabble in knitting, painting, etc and this provided me an opportunity to see what was going on in other types of craft and hobbies. I am most interested in CHA because I would like to elevate my hobby into being a part of the paper craft industry and feel that CHA can help me achieve that goal. I can attend warehouse sales for supplies in numerous locations, but I don’t have many opportunities to have industry experts and stars all in one place for professional development and learning. So, I would appreciate more session on getting into the industry and the different ways you can move from a dabbler in crafting to a designer/teacher/professional. Now, I hope they have a better way to manage the flow of attendees in Chicago, getting into Orlando was not a fun process if you pre-ordered your tickets. I appreciate the chance to give some feedback. Hope it helps.

7. Missy April 4, 2010 at 4:39 pm #

I attended the CHA in Anaheim and was a bit disappointed. First, it was an expensive admission price, plus you had to pay for parking. I liked the make-n-takes, when you could get into one and it introduced me to some new vendors (Taylor Expressions). I did not learn any new techniques and expected to buy more. I bought more at the Scrap Expo the weekend before and was glad I did! I would have to think twice before going again. It was good to see personalities that I have admired (Stacy Julian, Carol Duvall and Wyland!)…probably the best part. Sad to not see Tim Holtz and all his new goodies but I understand that he needed to unveil at the vendor show.

8. Rachael Palos April 7, 2010 at 6:50 pm #

I attended CHA in Anaheim for the first time – new to scrapbooking. Many of my friends attended but were disappointed, too much money. They went to Disneyland instead and said their money went further there. I enjoyed it, but I don’t know if I will go again. I like the Pomona Fairground Conventions.

9. Jodie R April 9, 2010 at 6:08 pm #

I attended the CHA in Anaheim with two other friends. We had an amazing time. We are scrapbookers, but it was so much fun to try new crafts. We used amazing sewing machines, got to see demos from Cricut and Making Memories on their new products, saw beautiful yarns, made jewelry and the list goes on and on. We were able to actually talk to some people from Provo Craft. I, personally, felt like I got to actually peek into the future in some instances. We actually felt that two days was not enough time to do everything at the Show. We also loved meeting, Carol Duvall, Mary O’Neill, Stacy Jullian, Cathy and Steve from Creative Juice, the Crafty Chica (Kathy Cano-Murrillo), Teri O, just to name a few.

To us, it wasn’t about getting good deals on our scrap supplies. Believe me. We have plenty of other places to do that. We loved being introduced to new crafts, as well as, revisiting some of the crafts that are coming back into style. The make n’ takes were awesome. I have a whole box of treasures from CHA. I will never forget my experiences and I plan to go back next winter in LA.

Overall, I think the CHA Supershow accomplished what it intended to do. That was to introduce crafters to new crafts and techniques and get them to branch out a little bit.