Scotch Denies Licensing Kokuyo Adhesive

Fans of the discontinued Kokuyo adhesives jumped on internet speculation this week that the new Scotch dot roller adhesives were in fact licensed from Kokuyo. Hope spread among Kokuyo’s fans that the Scotch adhesives were simply re-labeled Kokuyo products.

Unfortunately for Kokuyo fans, Scrapbook Update was able to confirm today with a representative for Scotch that the Scotch dot roller adhesives are not related to Kokuyo in any way. Scrapbook Update was told that the Scotch dot roller products are manufactured by Scotch and, aside from some general similarities in shape and size, do not share anything in common with the former Kokuyo products.

So if the Scotch products aren’t made by or licensed from Kokuyo, are they still a possible replacement for them? Only the scrapbooking customers can decide that. If you’ve tried both adhesives, let us know in the comments what you thought. Scrapbook Update will be running a trial comparison of the new Scotch adhesives in the near future.

10 Responses to Scotch Denies Licensing Kokuyo Adhesive

1. carriegel March 18, 2010 at 8:02 am #

Why do you say Kokuyo adhesives are discontinued? I just ordered Kokuyo adhesive from JetPens. I have never used this brand but I have heard such good things about them that I thought I would give it a try.

2. Betsy Burnett March 18, 2010 at 8:33 am #

Carrie, Kokuyo is available while quantities last from some retailers/suppliers but the manufacturer discontinued making the product.

Nancy, I’m BUMMED! I LOVED Kokuyo adhesive I’m down to my last roll and am refusing to buy more cause I know it will just prolong the inevitable! Bummer about the rumor!

3. carriegel March 18, 2010 at 11:11 am #

Oh no! Maybe I should have ordered more. :(

4. Lisa March 18, 2010 at 11:29 am #

Actually, Kokuyo did NOT stop making the adhesives. They stopped distributing them in the US. For a while, JetPens was wholesaling them to stores, but Kokuyo has a contract with a new distributor, so we’re very hopeful that Kokuyo will once again be available in the US.

We have the Japanese distributed Kokuyo products at our store, and we are waiting for the details to be finalized with the new distributor.

5. Nancy Nally March 18, 2010 at 11:33 am #

Wow! You all are answering each other faster than I can…that shows what a hot topic this Kokuyo adhesive is because comments never run this fast unless we are giving something away usually. :)

Yes, Kokuyo has still been making the adhesive but had stopped distributing to the US. With the demand for the product here, it wouldn’t be a surprise to see someone distribute it again. Hopefully Lisa is right!

6. Gail March 18, 2010 at 1:35 pm #

Being a long-time fan of Kokuyo, I had been looking for a replacement. I bought some Scotch and thought I would try it and am happy to report that I love it. I probably shouldn’t say that, it will be sold out now. But honestly, I don’t think I can tell the difference and I am an adhesive snob!

7. Molly McCarthy March 19, 2010 at 9:33 am #

Scotch did a truly amazing thing – they gave away FREE ones at the CHA SuperShow AND at CHA. I had two – I say had because I used them both. I agree with Gail – they are terrific! They are as strong as Kokuyo and I love having the “dots” back! The main difference I see is that the Scotch one is louder. Does that make sense? I mean that when you roll with the Kokuyo there is complete silence, with Scotch there was a lsmall clicking noise as I ran the adhesive.

Scotch is a great alternative for those who miss their Kokuyo.

8. Cheryl Wingate March 21, 2010 at 3:24 pm #

Kokuyo needs to hurry with their new distribution before scrapbookers become loyal to other brands…

9. Betsy Burnett March 23, 2010 at 12:02 am #

Oooooh so good to hear I might be able to find it again! Gail LOL on the adhesive snob comment I’m an adhesive junkie….I have to try everything but have my faves (as obvious from my love of Kokuyo!)

10. Michelle June 30, 2011 at 1:11 pm #

I am excited after over a year of searching I have found another Kokuyo source. While Kokuyo cannot distribute to the US I am able to get it from elsewhere in Japan to be able to sell in store. Lots of red tape and hush hush but I can get it and thats all that matters. The Red Dotliner Power will be more expensive those of us who love love love it are willing to pay the additional. Heck the dots version will have 118 feet for $11.58 and that ends up cheaper than the Scotch version while giving you 22 more feet. The Scotch is $6 for 49 feet. 96 feet will cost around $12 and the Japanese version will end up being cheaper. I am doing the happy dance!!!