Three Things I Resolve To Use In 2010

I’ve never been one to like New Year’s resolutions. However, this year, I’m making an exception. In a recent cleaning session I found some oldies-but-goodies in my crafting supplies, and I’m resolving to bring them back into the mix. Here are three items I’m resolving to use more of in 2010:

1. Metallic pens
From gold leafing to Sakura’s fine tip pens, metallic pens once ruled my world. Over the years they dried out and I suppose I just didn’t replace them. On a recent craft store trip I stumbled across some, had myself a nice ‘remember when I used to use these?’ moment, and bought a few. They can add so much to a layout quickly, and at little expense.

2. Vellum
I used to print, stamp, and otherwise utilize vellum on nearly half my layouts. Last year? I only used it once or twice. Why did it fall out of favor with me? Why did I stop? I’m not entirely sure, but I am going to be bringing plain vellum back. Whether for titles, journaling, or for embellishing there is much that can be done with vellum and I intend to make the most of it.

3. Powders & Sprays
I have embossing powder unused, my heat gun collecting dust, and several lovely mists just waiting to add sparkle to my layout. I have no good excuse for not using these supplies in my stash, and I’m going to make every effort to get them out more. Using with stamping, masking, decorating chipboard, and altering the look of patterned paper are just a few of the ways I see making the most of these products already in my studio.

To get my year off to a good start I’ve created this layout using Glimmer Mist, vellum, and embossing powder – not to mention some random goodies from my stash. I like to lightly dab some Versamark ink and then sprinkle embossing powder for a sprinkled look (using a heat gun to set it). I also printed out a title onto vellum (very light grey) and painted it with Smooch Ink. I’m loving how that turned out and see more in my future.

Am I happy to have this year off to such a positive start? You bet! I think some crafting goals help keep me on track and make me more productive for sure.

Supplies: Webster’s Pages patterned paper, Cathy Zielske word art, Glimmer Mist in Pink, American Crafts Cardstock and Zing Embossing Powder in Copper, Pink Paislee journaling punch out, Jenni Bowlin butterfly and jewel button, Versamark watermark ink pad, Smooch Ink in Taffy and Green Apple, Maya Road floral pins, unknown cardstock, ribbon, jewels, and vellum.

Examining my stash I feel like I could add in a fourth resolution here, and that would be to utilize my stamps better. I have a healthy supply of stamps. So why don’t I stamp more? I believe the answer is that my collection of acrylic stamps grew and I don’t have them organized. They’re just in a big bucket. The task of locating a stamp to use is so daunting I usually just work something else out.

My wood mounted stamps remain used because they are out on a shelf (there are only a few) and they’re easy to grab and use. My plan is to come up with stamp organization that works for me this year so that I can have better access to my collection. Stay tuned – I’ll share the results here!

I’d love to hear what you would like to use more of in 2010 and any crafting resolutions you’ve made for yourself. Please do feel free to share.

Subscribe to Scrapbook Update in a Reader
-Or-
Subscribe to Scrapbook Update on the Kindle

, , , , , , ,

9 Responses to Three Things I Resolve To Use In 2010

1. Nancy Grant January 12, 2010 at 11:27 pm #

You are off to great start! What a beautiful page.
    Smiles,
    ~ng.

2. Tanya January 13, 2010 at 3:30 am #

I’ve resolved to make a dent in my stash before I buy anything more! For me I think buying new stuff has taken over the actual creative side – I’ve ended up with some beautiful goodies all neatly sitting in their respective packages… time to lock the purse away and bring out the trimmer and glue again :-)

3. Melissa Papke January 13, 2010 at 12:00 pm #

Great job with the oldies, but goodies! I started out my year with a resolution to scrapbook more, but I couldn’t start without cleaning out my scrap room. I got rid of 4 big bins of stuff… partially used product I was done with, lots of stuff that I wasn’t sure why I had, and some stuff that was cute, but I knew I’d never use it. It forced me to look at everything, which made me realize what I have, and now I can get to using everything I kept. Wish me luck!

• Melissa Papke January 13, 2010 at 12:02 pm #

Oh, and one more thing…. I let me friends go through the bins of items I no longer wanted and when they were done, all the rest of the items (and there were alot) were packed up into tote bags and donated to CHOC hospital. They LOVE getting these types of donations because it gives the parents and kids something to do when they are stuck in the hospital for days on end. Find a good charity and do the same with the stuff you won’t use anymore! :)

4. Jennifer Priest January 13, 2010 at 12:48 pm #

Awesome page and ideas May! You rock ;)

This year I want to use more of what I have. I have TONS of stuff, stuff I forget I have (like markers that dray out!) and sometimes it gets overwhelming. Then I feel guilt about not using paper from 5 years ago that I HAD TO HAVE but now it just doesn’t float my boat.

So I started a 20 week long challenge on my blog that goes through the end of May just as a reminder to myself to use things I forget about, use stuff up, and as a challenge to my blog followers to get scrapping.

Every year I make it a goal to scrap 365 pages (I am the only scrapper in the family so I scrap for like 10 people) and the last two years I didn’t break 300 because of my crazy schedule. So this year I am taking some time for myself by attending scrapbooking events instead of just teaching at them (going to Reflections in Newport Beach,CA and some retreats) and trying to use up some of the stuff I have stockpiled so I can buy new without any guilt.

Another idea is kind of along the lines of what Melissa said. At Scrapbook Royalty events we sometimes do an auction called “Queen of A Lot”. I was actually the first crowned Queen of A Lot back in 2006 or so. Anyways, you take a HUGE “lot” of stuff from your stash, stuff you wanna get rid of, to a Scrapbook Royalty event. Then they acutionit off to the highest bidder. Whoever’s box raises the most money, they are crowned “Queen of A Lot”. Whatever does not sell is donated to Children’s Hospitals, Boys and Girls Clubs, etc.

Desert Scrappers Retreats always has a swap box at the retreat. You put your box of items out and people can take what they like. Or as you scrap you can drop in stuff you decide you no longer want. At the end of the retreat the owner, Laura Miler, takes all the items to an reitrement home or something like that.

I also read in BHG I think about doing a swap party with household goods–why not do a scrapbooking one? Tag your items with prices and have each friend bring say 10 items. To
    shop” people put a clothespin with their inital on the item they want. If more than one person wants the item you can auction it off to them or roll a die to see who gets it.

Or even have a yard sale–I have had several scrapbooking yard sales and walked away with hundreds in cash plus people got super deals on my lots of unwanted goodies.

5. Lyneen January 13, 2010 at 4:24 pm #

Great post… love the layout! I too am resolving to use stash. there is so much of it. there is no need to toss. it is all perfectly good just need to use instead of buy more without seeing what I have.

thanks so much for your very imformative site!

6. Addie January 14, 2010 at 8:45 am #

My work has always been “collagey,” spritz-it-on, rub-it-around, see-what-happens. I have a huge variety of stencils, masks and stamps, and in late 2009 I started using stencils more and more to alter patterned paper and to coordinate with stamps. This year I’ll continue with those materials. I also want to use embossing powder more to achieve surface textures and see how they can work with glycerin and molding paste. I also want to use my walnut ink spritz more.

Thank you for this post, which got my mind going a mile a minute about what I want to do in 2010!

7. Brenda January 14, 2010 at 11:32 am #

Love your resolution and your page. I also resolved to use more of my stash this year. I plan to do it by using one older item per page, even if it’s just a bookplate or a little piece of Magic Mesh. Every little thing counts. I have so many things that I didn’t stop using on purpose, I just got newer, shinier things and the old stuff was forgotten. It was actually fun to go through my stash and rediscover some of the older things, like shopping without the guilt.

8. Keitha January 18, 2010 at 11:18 am #

Love this page, and your title technique. I think at the top of my ‘need to use’ list are All Things Transparent, from minibooks to 12×12 overlays to small embellishments, and everything in between. I’ve always loved the look and bought accordingly, but guess I’ve remained a bit intimidated because they don’t appear on my pages nearly enough. Today my blast from the past was chalk; can’t remember the last time I used that!